Photo

Multi-Player Internet Connection Issues (Xbox 360, PS3 & PC)

1515 replies to this topic

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,259 posts
If you are experimenting difficulty connecting to other players online and your Internet connection is behind a router using NAT (Network Address Translation), you may need to take one of the following steps to attempt fixing your issues:

Xbox 360:
  • Enable UPNP on your router. 
Playstation 3:
  • Manually open UDP port 3659 and 6000  on your router to allow inbound and outbound traffic. 
PC:
  • Make sure your personal firewall is configured to allow Mass Effect 3 (Demo or Full game) to communicate to the internet.
  • Manually open UDP port 3659 and 6000  on your router to allow inbound and outbound traffic. 
Please consult your router or personal firewall documentation for information on how to allow game related traffic on these ports. If you are attempting to play on a corporate internet connection, contact your network administrator.

:devil:

Edited by Chris Priestly, 14 February 2012 - 09:20 PM.

bluenekofox

bluenekofox
  • Members
  • 3 posts
If you dont mind how would a person find our UPNP? and for not tech savy people what is a UPNP?

Jaron Oberyn

Jaron Oberyn
  • Members
  • 6,748 posts
Go to your router settings. Upnp is universal plug and play.

-Polite

Arppis

Arppis
  • Members
  • 12,750 posts
I had connection issues, but they dissapeared as soon as I switched character for some reason. Might have been bug or something.

Jaron Oberyn

Jaron Oberyn
  • Members
  • 6,748 posts
I don't know what's going on, but until just a few minutes ago I was able to play fine. Been playing since yesterday, now It keeps telling me I lost connection to the game... Anyone else getting this?

-Polite

Nick Lachapelle

Nick Lachapelle
  • BioWare Employees
  • 16 posts
It is possible that the game is trying to connect to a game where the host is not viable (i.e. the host is behind a strict firewall). Your client might try to reconnect to that bad game couple of times. Please keep trying; the issue should fix itself when more games become available.

We are looking into it and would like to reduce the likelihood of this happening in the future.

Regards,
Nick

Edited by Nick Lachapelle, 14 February 2012 - 10:40 PM.

AlexMBrennan

AlexMBrennan
  • Members
  • 7,002 posts
You do realise that there are security issues associated with UPnP and that there might be reason it's disabled, right?

Mike Aus

Mike Aus
  • Members
  • 213 posts
Got an open NAT, however there were still some connection issues - it would take ages to load, then finally it got into the game but was just stuck loading some more (could only press B to cancel on the 360). Other players experienced the same.

I'm in Aus and I'm wondering if that's causing issues. It seemed to have also stuffed the US players up that I was playing with.

Jaron Oberyn

Jaron Oberyn
  • Members
  • 6,748 posts
Same with me Mike. EA always has server problems though, hopefully this gets fixed soon. Didn't have a problem playing yesterday though, maybe it's because more people are on.

-Polite

gabewpashere

gabewpashere
  • Members
  • 78 posts
if you have already done as suggested and still have problems, continue to try and connect. i connected within two tries after enabling the UPNP

Wickybro

Wickybro
  • Members
  • 2 posts
It keeps saying I don't have access to the online features of the mass effect 3 demo is it not on the xbox yet?

rage9345

rage9345
  • Members
  • 155 posts
My UPnP has always been open, still haven't been able to connect to a game on my 360 without continually trying for a minimum of an hour before finally getting into a match. It'll usually just say "Communicating" in the top left corner, "Searching for Games..." in the middle of the screen, and then says" Your connection to the game has been lost." anywhere between 20 seconds to a couple of minutes after starting the search. When I do finally get in a match, I get lag spikes roughly every 15 seconds. Like I said, my UPnP is open, no firewalls or anything else that could mess up my connection or, you know, help secure my internet connection...

Wickybro

Wickybro
  • Members
  • 2 posts
I meant like to go to the online section.

IBPROFEN

IBPROFEN
  • Members
  • 370 posts
So for PC it means P2P connection just like MW2 MW3.

FRANCESCO84Inn

FRANCESCO84Inn
  • Members
  • 1,170 posts
what is the unitl time for multiplayer demo ?
the and its 3\\6\\2012 or first ?

Nick Lachapelle

Nick Lachapelle
  • BioWare Employees
  • 16 posts

FRANCESCO84Inn wrote...

what is the unitl time for multiplayer demo ?
the and its 362012 or first ?

The Multi-Player portion of the demo will be taken down on March 5 2012, the time is yet to be announced.
ME3 full game launch:
  • NA March 6
  • EU March 9
  • JP March 8
Cheers,
Nick

Nick Lachapelle

Nick Lachapelle
  • BioWare Employees
  • 16 posts

Wickybro wrote...

It keeps saying I don't have access to the online features of the mass effect 3 demo is it not on the xbox yet?

Please refer to those 2 posts for early access conditions:  

http://social.biowar...60313/1#9260313
http://social.biowar...78554/1#9278554

Cheers,
Nick

colata

colata
  • Members
  • 204 posts
Does host or client need to allow incoming and outgoing protocol for ME3 demo?

Is open NAT is absoulutely necessary?
cos there might be security issue. kuk

bluenekofox

bluenekofox
  • Members
  • 3 posts
Ok Im still getting the not being able to connect to the Alliance system or somthing like that. Whats going on? Im able to get the ME2 online thing why cant I get this new one?

RocketManSR2

RocketManSR2
  • Members
  • 2,974 posts
Can't I just open those ports on the the 360 or put the console in the DMZ to make my NAT open? I didn't get a warning from the 360 that my NAT was moderate/strict or anything. Am I good to go?

incinerator950

incinerator950
  • Members
  • 5,617 posts
The only people I have a hard time connecting to are Europeans, and I really don't care that I can't.

Regardless, if we're having connection issues, and the MP isn't available to everyone right now, what do you think will happen when it does?

Etienne Chenard

Etienne Chenard
  • BioWare Employees
  • 9 posts
Yes, putting your console or pc in the DMZ is also an option.

On Xbox 360 if your NAT type is Open or Moderate you are good to go.

Etienne Chenard

Etienne Chenard
  • BioWare Employees
  • 9 posts
Colata: Open NAT is not necessary. Also you just need to forward the port 3659 and 6000 for incoming UDP traffic. If you forward the ports on your router manually, security concerns are pretty low, since only EA game should use those ports.

Dathorn

Dathorn
  • Members
  • 20 posts
Im having issues connecting to games, and when I do get in randomly I can only play for ~10 minutes before I get disconnected. I have forwarded mentioned ports and I play on the PC.

Daoa

Daoa
  • Members
  • 67 posts
Disregard my post I got it working.  Thank you.

Edited by Daoa, 15 February 2012 - 08:36 PM.