Photo

The Shield Gate: What it is and how it works.

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

ItsRed

ItsRed
  • Members
  • 159 posts
The Shield Gate

I've recently been paying more attention when Sniping and I have noticed that even though I can do enough damage to take the enemies down in one bullet, for some reason a large amount of that damage is being negated. So I took it upon myself to do some research. I searched the Forums as to why this happens and I couldn't find a thread such as this one, therefore I have decided to create one. This is what I have found. This is; what the Shield Gate is and how it works...

What is it?
The Shield Gate is a system used in Mass Effect 3 to stop Sniper Rifles being able to "One Shot" Shielded Enemies. Even though all guns suffer from this it is Sniper Rifles that feel it the most. Any damage over the amount of shields an enemy has, will be reduced at a set percentage. These percentages are;
Bronze - 50% Damage Reduction (DR)
Silver - 75% Damage Reduction (DR)
Gold - 100% Damage Reduction (DR)
This means in Gold difficulty, it is impossible to 'one shot' a shielded enemy without the use of powers.
Although 'Kittstalkur' has said that when Shooting a Pyro it is possible to negate the Shield Gate by having the Bullet hit the Chest, therefore doing the initial damage which takes down the Pyro's Shields and then Slamming into the Shield gate,  then having the bullet travel through the Pyro and hit the Tank on it's back, causing it to explode, essentialy 'one shotting it. He also said that it is possible to get a Combat Engineer down to two bars of health using the same tactic, as the Bullet will hit the Turret on his back, causing it to explode.

How Does it Work?
-We're in a Bronze match and lets say we're shooting an enemy who has 1000 Shields and 1000 Health. Our Sniper Rifle does 2000 Damage (None of them actually do). We shoot the enemy and take his shields down to 0 in the first shot. The other 1000 damage hits the shield gate and suffers a 50% Damage Reduction. What this means is that only 500 of the original damage has made it through the shield gate and proceeded to damage the enemy's health. Therefore we cannot 'one shot' the enemy. The damage that makes it through the shield gate 'bleeds' through the shield and is sometimes known as 'Shield Bleed' 
-Now We're in a Gold match and lets say we're Shooting the same enemy and for this example's purpose he has the same 1000 Shields and 1000 Health as before. Our Sniper Rifle still does 2000 Damage. We shoot the enemy and as before his Shields are taken down to 0 in the first shot. However the 1000 Damage 'Shield Bleed' suffers from 100% DR, as this is a Gold Match. This makes it 100% Impossible to kill a shielded enemy in one bullet only, using a Sniper Rifle, in a Gold match.

Working Around The Shield Gate
Sniper Rifles are the main victim of the Shield Gate, although the effect is applied to all guns. However, as Shotguns fire 8 projectiles per shot, only the first projectile will hit the Shield Gate, allowing the other 7 to proceed into the enemy's health without suffering from the Damage Reduction. This allows high damage shotguns such as the Graal, Geth Plasma Shotgun and the Claymore to essentially 'one shot' enemies, even on Gold difficulty. The N7 Crusader is the only Shotgun that suffers from the Shield Gate effect, as it only fires one projectile therefore any extra damage over the amount of shields cannot bleed through as the one projectile hits the shield gate. This is why many Infiltrators are using Shotguns in Gold matches instead of Sniper Rifles. 
Biotic Explosions, Tech/Biotic Powers, Melee Attacks and the Kishock Harpoon Gun never suffer from Shield Gating.

So there you go
Everything you should need to know about The Shield Gate.
-If you know more about this, please comment it and I shall add it to this original post.

[Edit]

Disruptor Ammo
Disruptor Ammo could work around the Shield gate as when you fire the shot, the Disruptor Ammo's Shield Damage is taken away from the target's shields before the original damage from the bullet hits the Shield Gate. Essentialy this means that if Disruptor Ammo could do enough damage to the shields to take them down, there would be no Shield Gate for the Bullet's damage to hit. This would allow you to 'one shot' enemies. However I have not tested this feature out yet as I don't have the disruptor ammo to waste. 

Warp Ammo
Warp Ammo could also work around the Shield Gate as it too has it's damage applied before that of the Bullet. However Warp Ammo gains bonuses to Barriers and targets affected by Biotic Powers, whereas Disruptor Ammo gets bonuses against Shields and Synthetics. In theory Warp Ammo could work around the Shield Gate, if it could do enough damage.

Some mathmatics done by peddroelmz. :)

How regular shoguns (Katana, Scimitar, Eviscerator, Disciple, Claymore, Wraith) work with the shield gate

Each of the 8 pellets is dealt with separately - at most 1 pellet's damage is wasted due shield gate ...

Shotguns and Shield gate

============
Test Shotgun shield gate On Insanity Marauder with Scimitar V

0 shield HP  || body shot vs health

1800 - 1226.0576 = 573.9424 (/8 = 71.7428 damage per pellet)  

======================

1 shield hp  || body shot

1800 - 1297.8004 = 502.1996 (71.7428 * 7 = 502.1996)  {one pellet stopped by the 

shield gate}

============

75 HP shield  | | body shot

1800 - 1369.5432 = 430.4568 (71.7428 * 6 = 430.4568) {1 pellet does normal damage to shield, 2-on pellet gets wasted on shield gate , rest 6 damage health}

===========

Edited by ItsRed, 15 April 2012 - 11:40 AM.

Cyonan

Cyonan
  • Members
  • 19,341 posts
That seems to be everything about Shield Bleed/Gate.

I don't even know why it's there to be honest. All it's doing for me right now is making me wonder why I ever used anything but a GPS/Claymore on my Infiltrator.

robarcool

robarcool
  • Members
  • 6,608 posts
Well, I have known about this since the game launch. It is bad for snipers, but that's how it is.

LemonStimpacks

LemonStimpacks
  • Members
  • 140 posts
Doesn't the crusader fire only 1 bullet?

Tangster

Tangster
  • Members
  • 3,303 posts

LemonStimpacks wrote...

The Crusader is the only shotgun that suffers from shield gating.

ItsRed

ItsRed
  • Members
  • 159 posts

LemonStimpacks wrote...

I'm not entirely sure, I've never used it. I think all of the Shotguns use the same 8 Pellet ammunition, although the Graal does fire Flachettes. 

corx3

corx3
  • Members
  • 57 posts
The Black Widow works around shield gate very nicely.

Cyonan

Cyonan
  • Members
  • 19,341 posts

ItsRed wrote...

LemonStimpacks wrote...

I'm not entirely sure, I've never used it. I think all of the Shotguns use the same 8 Pellet ammunition, although the Graal does fire Flachettes. 

I believe the GPS only fires 3 at once, but it doesn't care too much about Shield Gating either.

Which is why I mostly don't know why it's there. All it's doing is pushing the class that the Sniper Rifle is the iconic weapon for into using Shotguns because they apparently basically the same range, damage, and aren't affected by shield gating.

If they're going to use it, everything should be affected by it, not just Sniper Rifles.

BraveLToaster

BraveLToaster
  • Members
  • 1,237 posts

ItsRed wrote...

LemonStimpacks wrote...

Crusader is a single round, Grall fires a different projectiles as mentioned, as does GPS.  The latter two are unaffected by shield gating or armor as far as I am aware.

edit:

Cyonan wrote...

I believe the GPS only fires 3 at once, but it doesn't care too much about Shield Gating either.

It does fire three rounds, but I believe each round ignores the gate mechanic as well (it is completely uneffected by it, unlike traditional shotguns which still have one of their pellets diminished in damage).

Edited by BraveLToaster, 13 April 2012 - 06:41 PM.

LemonStimpacks

LemonStimpacks
  • Members
  • 140 posts

ItsRed wrote...

All of them except the crusader which fires 1 slug and the gps (3 projectiles) if I'm not mistaken

TANK 2old2play

TANK 2old2play
  • Members
  • 104 posts
Glad to see it explained, though since i play a sniper most the time i've known this existed just never really knew the details.

Tangster

Tangster
  • Members
  • 3,303 posts

Cyonan wrote...

Which is why I mostly don't know why it's there. All it's doing is pushing the class that the Sniper Rifle is the iconic weapon for into using Shotguns because they apparently basically the same range, damage, and aren't affected by shield gating.

If they're going to use it, everything should be affected by it, not just Sniper Rifles.

Shotguns are affected by shield gate, but since they fire 8 pellets, the remaining 7 impact for full damage. (Except the GPS, which ignores gating totally).
Lots more info on gameplay mechanics in my sig.

mybudgee

mybudgee
  • Members
  • 23,036 posts
graal fires the railroad spikes left over after jesus was crucified...

cruc1al

cruc1al
  • Members
  • 2,570 posts
Tech/biotic powers and melee are not subject to shield gating either.

Cyonan

Cyonan
  • Members
  • 19,341 posts

Tangster wrote...
Shotguns are affected by shield gate, but since they fire 8 pellets, the remaining 7 impact for full damage. (Except the GPS, which ignores gating totally).
Lots more info on gameplay mechanics in my sig.

When I say "affected by" I mean the entire shot of 8 pellets =P

It's punishing Sniper Rifles too harshly for how little it punishes every other weapon class. It's like armour for full auto weapons.

It basically makes Shotguns into better than anything else, especially since they are half Sniper Rifle with their range anyway.

Sock N Boppers

Sock N Boppers
  • Members
  • 153 posts
Another thing that ignores the shield gate is melee. I don't know to what extent, but it is possible to one hit shielded or barrier defended enemies on gold. I originally knew about this during the demo when I tried out a rage soldier krogan, but since then it has become more known.

I still don't know if enemies take the full brunt of the melee attack when it comes to their health, but they do take some % of it, enough to kill them with a single heavy melee.

Guest_Air Quotes_*

Guest_Air Quotes_*
  • Guests
Shield gate is stupid on Gold. Give us at least 10% bleed-trough. It makes 1 shot rifles only efficient with Salarian infiltrator. It's just stupid that you can't one shot a Centurion with Javelin X used by lvl 20 Geth Infiltrator specced for damage.
Or give high powered rifles such as the Javelin and Widow a knock back effect on enemies, much like Carnage can do.

cruc1al

cruc1al
  • Members
  • 2,570 posts
Regular shotguns like Katana, Scimitar and Eviscerator etc. are fairly low damage at anything more than close range. GPS and Graal are completely different toys, and Claymore with smart choke is very effective. At medium range, assault rifles are better than conventional shotguns, and sniper rifles even better. Shield gating is a tradeoff for the long range effectiveness of sniper rifles.

However, then you have weapons like Mattock. Effective at any distance with a fairly high rate of fire. IMO it is the most versatile weapon. Shotgun-like close range damage output, as good as snipers at medium range, can kill targets at long range.

Edited by cruc1al, 13 April 2012 - 06:53 PM.

BraveLToaster

BraveLToaster
  • Members
  • 1,237 posts

cruc1al wrote...

Regular shotguns like Katana, Scimitar and Eviscerator etc. are fairly low damage at anything more than close range. GPS and Graal are completely different toys, and Claymore with smart choke is very effective. At medium range, assault rifles are better than conventional shotguns, and sniper rifles even better. Shield gating is a tradeoff for the long range effectiveness of sniper rifles.

However, then you have weapons like Mattock. Effective at any distance with a fairly high rate of fire. IMO it is the most versatile weapon. Shotgun-like close range damage output, as good as snipers at medium range, can kill targets at long range.

Any of those shotguns works at considerable range with Smart Choke V.  Even moreso on Geth Infiltrator with the additional accuracy from Hunter Mode.

kieran.me

kieran.me
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Tangster wrote...

LemonStimpacks wrote...

The Crusader is the only shotgun that suffers from shield gating.

this

if anyone actually bothered to leave rthe multiplayer section of the forums they'll find exactly what op said and it specifically says the crusader fires one **** and does suffer the shield gate

DilapidatedCat

DilapidatedCat
  • Members
  • 308 posts
Penetration mods, ammo and the like should apply to Kinetic/Biotic barriers.

Make them deal bleed through damage with each shot.

Cyonan

Cyonan
  • Members
  • 19,341 posts

DilapidatedCat wrote...

Penetration mods, ammo and the like should apply to Kinetic/Biotic barriers.

Make them deal bleed through damage with each shot.

They could always bring back the Phasic Rounds from ME1.

Your bullets do less damage per shot, but like 50-60% of it ignores the shield and just directly hits the health.

ItsRed

ItsRed
  • Members
  • 159 posts

Edited by ItsRed, 13 April 2012 - 07:27 PM.

cruc1al

cruc1al
  • Members
  • 2,570 posts

BraveLToaster wrote...

cruc1al wrote...

Any of those shotguns works at considerable range with Smart Choke V.  Even moreso on Geth Infiltrator with the additional accuracy from Hunter Mode.

Works? Sure, they do damage. But they don't work like assault rifles, heavy pistols or sniper rifles. At 'considerable range', shotguns are obviously handicapped in comparison to their close range performance

Stenun

Stenun
  • Members
  • 370 posts
I really don't understand why BioWare thought this mechanic was necessary. Would any of them care to explain?