Photo

[Guide] How to fix the Omni Button Space Bar (Revive and Cover) and FOV (Field of View) for PC in Mass Effect 3

392 replies to this topic

Zhuinden

Zhuinden
  • Members
  • 2,480 posts
It's fairly simple to do so, I could pretty much replace the not working "Text Chat" with a "Use" button, that way you could Revive fallen players without leaping around above them like an idiot.

I asked the mods if this was considered cheating, but it isn't.

Thomas Abram wrote...

As mentioned, remapping keys is fair game.

To clarify - Make sure you know what you're doing when editing these
files. If you do give yourself some sort of unfair advantage (accident
or not) BioWare reserves the right to ban you. 

If you have any questions, concerns or comments please PM me.

Note: if after reading the following guide you're still confused, you can also check <THIS GUIDE> that was written based on this one, but trying to make it clearer and easier to understand. It's actually quite simple, but who knows - you might prefer that one :D

Remapping is legal, therefore I have provided a fast and easy guide on how-to add the "Used" command (reviving, hack activation, etc) to your "T" key.
A video tutorial for the 'R' key exists here, if you'd like to see the fix being applied in action..

As for "how to create your own Revive/Use key independent from Space":
1. Get the "ME3 Coalesced Utility" from somewhere. I cannot post that out publically just like that, it's available somewhere either on the forums or on FileFront, but with all the malicious changes you can make in the game, if I posted an open link just like that, I would be pretty much calling for thread deletion. Sorry about that.

2. So once you've acquired the utility, please promise you won't mod anything related to game mechanics.
Go to your installed folder, for example \\Origin Games\\Mass Effect 3\\BIOGame\\CookedPCConsole\\ and open Coalesced.bin. You should save a copy of it elsewhere for backup, by the way.

3. Go to bioinput.ini \\ sfxgame \\ sfxgamemodebase \\ bindings (multiple).

Posted Image

Here, you can see the commands that can be assigned to various keys.

You need to add a new command at the bottom, in this case it's PC_Use.
The format is:
( Name="PC_Use", Command="Used" )

4. Once you've added the command, go to bioinput.ini \\ sfxgame \\ sfxgamemodedefault \\ 00000409 \\ localized bindings (multiple).
Note: if you have a french localization "azerty", then you have to reassign the key not in 00000409, but in 0000040C.

Here, you can reassign key "T" to the command you've added, PC_Use.
The format is,
( Name="T", Command="PC_Use" )
Posted Image

Once you're done, save the file via the utility, and enjoy your new "T" key which will actually revive your fallen teammate immediately (with minor delay due to lag only), instead of jumping into cover or leaping over them.

On an added note, it makes your control more efficient if you also remove "Exclusive Used" from your Shared_Action command - thus you should not start reviving your teammate when you're trying to dodge rockets and stuff.

Keep the thread alive by saying thanks if you found it useful! :wub:

Edit3:
Here's another link that could be a useful guide if you truly want to seperate everything, it's more in-depth than my tiny hotfix guide, so in case you want to learn a bit more about it as you didn't find my solution perfect or suitable to your liking, check this out.

http://masseffect.li...om/1441515.html

Edit4:
I have received a message, as there used to be a way to add custom commands to your key binding menu in the game, but that is not possible anymore.
However, if you really don't like hard-coding and want to assign your keys around in-game as well (and not just through coalesced.bin modding), you can read the following quote below.
Summed up, it says that if you override existing commands such as "Walking", you'll be able to assign "Walking" to keys in game, but the command would actually do "StormOn | OnRelease StormOff", for example instead of "PC_Walking".

xabkish wrote...
UPD: Ok, I can see I'm not the only one struggling, here's a little guide:

1. Open bioinput.ini -> sfxgame -> sfxgamemodebase
Choose 3 commands that you will alter. Choose the ones you won't use.
I'm playing MP only for time being so I've chosen Squad controls: namely
SquadAttack, SquadMove1, SquadMove2.
3. Now replace the contents of these commands with the contents of Shared_Use, etc. E.g., in my case it looks like this:

( Name="Shared_SquadAttack", Command="Exclusive Used" )
(
Name="Shared_SquadMove1", Command="Exclusive PressAction | OnTap 0.3
TapAction | OnHold 0.3 HoldAction | Exclusive TryStandingJump" )
( Name="Shared_SquadMove2", Command="OnRelease StormOff | OnHold 0.2 StormOn" )

Now just save it. Launch the game. Remap these actions to keys you like
(Squad Attack being the Use/Revive, Squad Move 1 being the Roll/Cover
and Squad Move 2 being the Storm/Sprint) and... Profit :)

I've PMed the OP to change the main post to be up to date with current version of the game.

EDIT5:
I have been asked to make a reference to this post, as it supposedly shows a more user-friendly change than just adding "Use" to the key "T". Technically it just seperates the keys more and places the commands on other keys instead.
For me, personally, 'T' is a comfortable key - when I'm using the WASD for control, I just move my index finger fromr D to T, and revive people as easily as possible. But I guess that's just me! :)

So this is the referenced post:

Djoums wrote...

So there's actually a double layer of
keybindings (1st from coalesced, 2nd from ingame key mapping) and the
ingame one takes precedence, so if you want to remap already used keys
(like left shift) you need to unbind them in the ingame menu first.
Here's what I did so far.

Map E key to Use :
 - Change ingame key binding for "order 2nd squadmate" to anything else, I chosed Y.
 - Change coalesced file using Zhuinden's guide, but replace E binding instead of T.
 -
I wrote ( Name="PC_Use", Command="Exclusive Used | Exclusive
PressAction" ) , not sure about the difference but it works well.
 - Optional : remove these actions from "Shared_Action" so that your space bar isn't used for it anymore.

Map shift to Run :
 -
Change ingame key binding for "Command Menu" to anything else, I chose
Ctrl (and remapped Walking command to another useless key)
 - Create
an entry in coalesced file under bioinput.ini/sfxgame/sfxgamemodebase  :
( Name="PC_Storm", Command="StormOn | OnRelease StormOff" )
 - In bioinput.ini/sfxgame/sfxgamemodedefault change the Shift key assignment : ( Name="LeftShift", Command="PC_Storm" )
 - Optional : remove the "Storm" actions from "Shared_Action", your space bar won't be used to run anymore

I personally remapped my Walking command to be "Command="StormOn | OnRelease StormOff" )" (as who the hell uses Walking, really), but I found that I don't really have a need for an individual storm button. Others might.

Please note that you can assign commands to keys ONLY if they don't have another command assigned to them.
Meaning, you can't assign two different commands on key "R", for example, just one.

EDIT6:
There is a way to fix the FOV (Field of View) on PC without any external tools apart from the same tool mentioned above.

Here's a video that shows the result - it's quite an impacting change.

Note, with merely this change, your zoom on various weapons can get messy, so I recommend using the method described underneath, as in changing Shared_Aim. This is merely to demonstrate the mechanics of the fix.

Under bioinput.ini > sfxgame > sfxgamemodebase > bindings = (multiple)
I put this ( Name="FOV100", Command="FOV 100" ) as a new line.

Then, add to bioinput.ini > sfxgame > sfxgamemodedefault > bindings = (multiple):
Name="NumpadNine", Command="FOV100" )

This will bind the command that sets the FOV to 100 to your Numpad 9 key.

However, it is worth noting that the above technique would mess up your zoom (as the Zoom is using definite FOV values, but using the above command locks it to your specified value), so it needs to be reset before you zoom.
Therefore, an easier way to create a FOV fix is by adding it to right click's command, Shared_Aim - as it will reset the zoom with the command FOV 0, then on release it will set the FOV value to your specified amount.

Under bioinput.ini > sfxgame > sfxgamemodebase > bindings = (multiple)
( Name="Shared_Aim", Command="SwapWeaponIfEmpty | TightAim | FOV 0 | OnRelease FOV 100 | OnRelease StopTightAim" )

And this way, your right-click will serve as fixing your FOV after zooming with your weapon at least once, and the zoom will also work as intended.

p.s.: The only downside of this change is that whenever there's a new update, your Coalesced.bin gets overwritten (for example, with wave data changes) ~ and then, the changes have to be reapplied each time there's a major update.
But to be honest, it's still worth it. The gaming experience is no longer frustrating, and your eyes aren't strained nearly as much afterwards. So obviously, I recommend it, regardless. ^_^
(Especially considering these changes take like a total of 2 minutes when you know what you're doing, and that includes finding the ME3 Coalesced Editor on your hard drive if you don't have a shortcut to it :P)

If you're still confused,

Blind2Society wrote...

Made a video tutorial to show how to make the changes.

Edited by Zhuinden, 09 February 2014 - 10:14 AM.

• acicm2 likes this

AldarionnEB

AldarionnEB
  • Members
  • 478 posts
I'm relatively certain that re-mapping abilities is considered fair game. It is in most games. Hell, most games have an in-built system to do so, and many keyboards come with programmable macro keys designed to allow you to do just this. So I don't really see an issue with it. I would do it if I played on PC.

Zhuinden

Zhuinden
  • Members
  • 2,480 posts
I see, that is nice to hear. If it really isn't against the rules, I'm adding another question.

Is anyone interested in a tutorial of some sort on how to modify the Coalesced.bin to have a seperate Revive button, so you don't end up in Cover (using TapAction) when you're trying to revive others?
It's fairly simple, actually.

Edited by Zhuinden, 22 April 2012 - 03:31 PM.

AshirahTSparkle

AshirahTSparkle
  • Members
  • 379 posts
It's cheating..because..you know..that's the point of BW putting 3 uses to a key, to frustrate us. When we want to revive, we hug cover instead. When we want to sprint to safety, we try to revive instead. When we want to hug cover, we activate the device instead.

Seriously though, who thought that it was a good idea in the first place?

Zhuinden

Zhuinden
  • Members
  • 2,480 posts

AshirahTSparkle wrote...

It's cheating..because..you know..that's the point of BW putting 3 uses to a key, to frustrate us. When we want to revive, we hug cover instead. When we want to sprint to safety, we try to revive instead. When we want to hug cover, we activate the device instead.

Seriously though, who thought that it was a good idea in the first place?

I have a better question, why didn't anyone oppose to the idea? :P

Edited by Zhuinden, 22 April 2012 - 03:34 PM.

zhk3r

zhk3r
  • Members
  • 1,645 posts
Even if it's considered cheating: How are they to find out you're doing it? There's no dedicated anti-cheat system in ME3, or Origin for that matter.

You're good, for the time being.

Superelf62

Superelf62
  • Members
  • 9 posts
I agree that I see no problem with this. The A button does way too much (or in your case, spacebar) and it drives me crazy when my character doesn't do what I want them to. All your doing is fixing a small issue with the controls, not actually giving yourself some crazy unfair advantage or anything.

I really wish we were given more control over the controls, especially in multiplayer. The three powers are automatically mapped to specific buttons (the two bumpers and Y on Xbox), and honestly some of them are organized just horribly.

Zhuinden

Zhuinden
  • Members
  • 2,480 posts

Superelf62 wrote...

I agree that I see no problem with this. The A button does way too much (or in your case, spacebar) and it drives me crazy when my character doesn't do what I want them to. All your doing is fixing a small issue with the controls, not actually giving yourself some crazy unfair advantage or anything.

I really wish we were given more control over the controls, especially in multiplayer. The three powers are automatically mapped to specific buttons (the two bumpers and Y on Xbox), and honestly some of them are organized just horribly.

That's because the order is actually coded in the Coalesced.bin (in my case). I could change the order if I wanted to, though I don't need it myself. I am fairly certain there would be a better way of doing this, especially if you were given the option in-game to change that order.

zhk3r

zhk3r
  • Members
  • 1,645 posts
Don't you just change mulitple=1 to multiple=3 ?.. Been messing around with the file myself. And there are a lot of options I would like to check out. Creating cinematic sequences being one.

Zhuinden

Zhuinden
  • Members
  • 2,480 posts

zhk3r wrote...

Don't you just change mulitple=1 to multiple=3 ?.. Been messing around with the file myself. And there are a lot of options I would like to check out. Creating cinematic sequences being one.

I think you have to change the order in this

Though I am not sure, I didn't try that.

Edited by Zhuinden, 22 April 2012 - 04:14 PM.

zhk3r

zhk3r
  • Members
  • 1,645 posts
@Zhuinden

You should take that picture down before this thread gets locked, and it will if you keep it up =P But yeah, I know how to read code and have tried some stuff out. Haven't changed SPACEBAR yet, though. But I'd think that is somewhere in BIOINPUT or something, and the code probably says that spacebar=multiple=1 - Changing the value to 3 would probably add "STORM/COVER/USE" three times in your keybindings in Options, in the actual game.

Tangster

Tangster
  • Members
  • 3,303 posts

zhk3r wrote...

Cinematics aren't coded into the coalesed file, not the FMV or the in-game rendered ones. I have no idea where they are actually.

zhk3r

zhk3r
  • Members
  • 1,645 posts

Tangster wrote...

Cinematics aren't coded into the coalesed file, not the FMV or the in-game rendered ones. I have no idea where they are actually.

I'm thinking more something the lines of:

> Allowing 5 people into the lobby.
> Having the leader have an insane FOV, almost like a free cam.
> Leader creates cinematics with his free cam.

Kem1995

Kem1995
  • Members
  • 669 posts
How is it considered cheating? It doesn't effect anyone elses controls

snfonseka

snfonseka
  • Members
  • 2,469 posts
Cheating or not, don't use in MP if you want to avoid banning.

KiraTsukasa

KiraTsukasa
  • Members
  • 4,953 posts
I would wait until someone from BioWare comes in and says it's ok before telling people how to modify the game, especially if the potential for further illegal modifications result from it.

valor163

valor163
  • Members
  • 100 posts
I would love to be able to change this setting, and also be able to remap my powers to different buttons.
as an MMO player i find binding my main skills to Q,E, and R make them easier to get to than 1,2,3,

zhk3r

zhk3r
  • Members
  • 1,645 posts

valor163 wrote...

I would love to be able to change this setting, and also be able to remap my powers to different buttons.
as an MMO player i find binding my main skills to Q,E, and R make them easier to get to than 1,2,3,

Well that you can do in keybindings. You can't re-map the actual positions of the powers, but the buttons you can change.

Edited by zhk3r, 22 April 2012 - 04:09 PM.

valor163

valor163
  • Members
  • 100 posts

KiraTsukasa wrote...

I would wait until someone from BioWare comes in and says it's ok before telling people how to modify the game, especially if the potential for further illegal modifications result from it.

on that subject, BIOWARE! COME CHECK THIS OUT!

FORUM MODERATORS HO!!!!!!

zhk3r

zhk3r
  • Members
  • 1,645 posts
The last time a thread was opened regarding the Spacebar and how to change it the thread was deleted within a couple of hours. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say: No, they don't want you doing this. Most likely because the same files can be changed to give you a 5-shot Claymore, or ten million shields, etc.

Zhuinden

Zhuinden
  • Members
  • 2,480 posts

zhk3r wrote...

The last time a thread was opened regarding the Spacebar and how to change it the thread was deleted within a couple of hours. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say: No, they don't want you doing this. Most likely because the same files can be changed to give you a 5-shot Claymore, or ten million shields, etc.

Yeah, I do realize that the options to alter the very game mechanics and "formula for skill damage" and the like are all in there, BUT I don't want to do anything malicious like that. I just want to revive without screwing up the prior teamwork we've had in the game. :o

I wish we could make a less tricky more interactive program with less functionality that could only change the commands, and not EVERYTHING.

zhk3r

zhk3r
  • Members
  • 1,645 posts

Zhuinden wrote...

Yeah, I do realize that the options to alter the very game mechanics and "formula for skill damage" and the like are all in there, BUT I don't want to do anything malicious like that. I just want to revive without screwing up the prior teamwork we've had in the game. :o

I wish we could make a less tricky more interactive program with less functionality that could only change the commands, and not EVERYTHING.

I'm right there with ya, bud. 

> Would like to make Zombie-Horde challenges, for fun. Without having the advantage of it being "easy" and earning as much credits as other "legit" Gold players. Could make a modified Coalsced.bin file that only gave a total of 30k credits after completing the final objective.

> Would also like to create cinematic events with the use of allowing more than four people into a lobby and having the leader of the lobby have higher/lower FOV than all other players, being used as a free camera just travelling around the map looking at other players.

> Would like to change the enemies per round, how many spawn, and how close they spawn; having Banshee's spawn in Wave 1 with increased health and shields, while removing Ravagers and Marauders in later Waves, replacing them with Banshees and Brutes with insane barrier/armor thresholds.

There's a lot of stuff I want to try out - But seeing as this is a P2P game, it's not going to happen without the BioWare slamming their banhammer your (my) way. If we had dedicated servers, I could modify game rules without that being unfair for anyone else. Right now the only games being modded are "10 millon credits after Wave 3". I would like to play user created modes, also. Without it being unfair to anyone else. All of the above are very easy to create, but not without the fear of being banned. (sadface).

Edited by zhk3r, 22 April 2012 - 04:24 PM.

maxtofunator

maxtofunator
  • Members
  • 849 posts
I think it does technically count as cheating because us console gamers can't really do that the way you can. And trust me, the game has a way to tell, because the code of your game will probably get messed up (as in they can tell how many times you press A to revive and so on)

Tangster

Tangster
  • Members
  • 3,303 posts

maxtofunator wrote...

I think it does technically count as cheating because us console gamers can't really do that the way you can. And trust me, the game has a way to tell, because the code of your game will probably get messed up (as in they can tell how many times you press A to revive and so on)

Spacebar to revive on PC.

Torguemada

Torguemada
  • Members
  • 597 posts

zhk3r wrote...

valor163 wrote...

Well that you can do in keybindings. You can't re-map the actual positions of the powers, but the buttons you can change.

Thanks for mentioning this, hadn't even thought of that.