Quick Weapon Swapping and Power Cancels

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Edalborez

Edalborez
  • Members
  • 1,401 posts
Weapon Swap Roll, or Swap Roll
If you are playing a race that has a forward somersault roll, that is to say Human, Salarian, Quarian, Drell, or Geth, you can change weapons during your forward roll during the roll animation. Useful if you are carrying two weapons that you like to switch between.

Forward roll -> Hold [weapon change button] -> Weapon should swap out during the second half of the roll.

Other nuances of this trick:
-If the weapon you are switching to has an empty clip, the reload will start during the roll without any additional animation.

-You cannot swap roll into Missiles, but you can do it going from Missiles to your regular weapon.

Quick Weapon Swap from Cover, or Cover Swap
A variation can be done if you are at the edge of cover. Start switching your weapon and then run out. The weapon will instantly be in your hand. This -does- work for Missiles. Can also be done for all races.

Begin switching weapon -> Enter cover near edge -> Sprint forward from the edge of cover, weapon will be in hand

-This can be used to pull out Missiles a little faster than usual in emergencies.
-Take note of where, on each map, cover "corners" are located to get the most mileage out of this.

Power Cancel
Might be common knowledge at this point, but you can cancel powers with a roll, light melee, or heavy melee. Many powers execute quickly enough that this isn't a direct benefit, in particular most tech powers which are fired instantly. Most biotic powers have a small windup before they execute, so this can also cancel them before they even start. There are a few special cases for which this can help:

Power > (Heavy) Melee
Generally this is only somewhat useful if you need to melee something that won't hold still, such as a Nemesis. Stun with a power then cancel into heavy melee. Example: Energy Drain -> Heavy Melee

As a funny bonus, if the power has force behind it (Shockwave, for example) and your heavy melee tracks when it executes you will track the flying enemy.

Quick Tech Armor
Tech Armor, Blade Armor, and Hunter Mode ordinarily have a canned animation where your character fidgets with their hands to activate the armor/mode, during which you can't shoot or run for a second. This can be cancelled with a melee attack or roll to recover slightly quicker. Useful as you can sprint or fire straight out of the animation of a light melee. If you quick activate Tech Armor twice in a row, you can set and detonate very quickly for emergencies.
*Blade Armor and Hunter Mode are mostly noted for completion's sake; this isn't as useful for them as toggling is not necesary.

Example 1: Activate Tech > light melee > Detonate tech > (light or heavy melee) > (if light, anything)
Example 2: (De)activate Tech > light melee > sprint

Barrier Cancel
Around 1 second after "detonating" the Krogan Vanguard's Barrier, if he was in the middle of a melee attack he immediately returns to a regular standing position. This can be abused if you cancel the detonation as quickly as possible into a heavy melee; the ending recovery of the Krogan charge will be gone for that melee. If you are not hosting, you will have to delay the melee input. If you time the melee towards the back end of the animation, you can get a bit of the running charge (melee does not hit), return to neutral state, and then heavy melee immediately again; great for pizza delivery!

Edited by Edalborez, 11 July 2012 - 03:56 AM.

BiO

BiO
  • Members
  • 2,057 posts
The question here is who would want to bring two weapons with him? :X

Mysterious Stranger 0.0

Mysterious Stranger 0.0
  • Members
  • 2,309 posts
I'll have to try this

Edalborez

Edalborez
  • Members
  • 1,401 posts

BiO_MaN wrote...

That's up to the beholder I suppose. The bits that work with Missiles are universal, but some light builds can afford to have, say, a Carnifex and another weapon. Could be useful for them. Who knows. Food for thought.

For a while I used Raptor+Talon on GI and switching between the two on the fly like this was very helpful. I eventually dropped the Raptor but it was still decently effective.

Edited by Edalborez, 27 May 2012 - 04:24 PM.

DNC Protoman

DNC Protoman
  • Members
  • 2,104 posts
just tried it works nice, good find

Mysterious Stranger 0.0

Mysterious Stranger 0.0
  • Members
  • 2,309 posts
Just did it.

This is awesome

BiO

BiO
  • Members
  • 2,057 posts
While on the topic of exploits (:P), there's a better way to use the reloading-cancellation than the medi-gel button for races that can't roll. Press Space while moving backwards and it should cancel it out. Love doing this when playing as a Kroguard w/ a Claymore.

Grimy Bunyip

Grimy Bunyip
  • Members
  • 1,553 posts

Edalborez wrote...

Made a bit of a discovery, hadn't seen any talk about it so hoping it's not old news.
If you are playing a race that has a forward somersault roll, that is to say Human, Salarian, Quarian, Drell, or Geth, you can change weapons during your forward roll during the roll animation. Useful if you are carrying two weapons that you like to switch between.

Roughly: Forward roll -> Hold [weapon change button] -> weapon should swap out during the 2nd half of the roll.

Other nuances of this trick:
-If the weapon you are switching to has an empty clip, the reload will start during the roll without any additional animation.
-(On 360 at least) You cannot swap roll into Missiles, but you can do it going from Missiles to your regular weapon.
-A variation can be done if you are at the edge of cover. Start switching your weapon and then run out. The weapon will instantly be in your hand. This -does- work for Missiles.

great tip <3

Edalborez

Edalborez
  • Members
  • 1,401 posts

BiO_MaN wrote...

While on the topic of exploits (:P), there's a better way to use the reloading-cancellation than the medi-gel button for races that can't roll. Press Space while moving backwards and it should cancel it out. Love doing this when playing as a Kroguard w/ a Claymore.

Yep, fun times for the roll-less wonders.

Ravenmyste

Ravenmyste
  • Members
  • 3,049 posts

BiO_MaN wrote...

someone that knows how to pick the right weapons and not over burden themselves..

yu know the ones that stay out the red area of the  weapon screen. like i do all the time

Edited by Ravenmyste, 27 May 2012 - 04:30 PM.

Jonathan Shepard

Jonathan Shepard
  • Members
  • 2,056 posts
This was unknown before? I do this all the time on my Human soldiers...

Edalborez

Edalborez
  • Members
  • 1,401 posts
Wasn't sure if it was or not. Figured I'd at least spread the word just in case. Worst case scenario, I'm just late to the party :)

jupitersj

jupitersj
  • Members
  • 291 posts

BiO_MaN wrote...

Hurricane Turian Soldier builds, use armor piercing Phalanx as secondary, with marksman shield centurions and Atlases go boom

Edalborez

Edalborez
  • Members
  • 1,401 posts

jupitersj wrote...

BiO_MaN wrote...

Hurricane Turian Soldier builds, use armor piercing Phalanx as secondary, with marksman shield centurions and Atlases go boom

Roll version doesn't work for Turians sadly, but any race can do the "sprint from cover" switch. I should edit that in actually.

Ronnie Blastoff

Ronnie Blastoff
  • Members
  • 1,933 posts
I do this all the time, good to know that someone else is doing something besides getting shot in the back of the head because they are 100% focused in they're sniper scope and miss anyway...

BiO_MaN wrote...

The answer is, anyone smart enough to know that ULM works great on GPSMG for 3%. You should ALWAYS have 2 weapons.

GodlessPaladin

GodlessPaladin
  • Members
  • 4,187 posts
Interesting find!  I'll have to try these out.

Edited by GodlessPaladin, 27 May 2012 - 05:01 PM.

OniGanon

OniGanon
  • Members
  • 4,829 posts
Interesting. Can it be done during the side/back rolls too?

BiO_MaN wrote...

Lots of people.

There's a heck of a lot of weapons that easily run out of ammo on Gold (Mattock, Vindicator, Raptor, Valiant, almost all the shotguns, all the pistols...), and it's not always conventient to be permanently tethered 5ft from an ammo box.

Edalborez

Edalborez
  • Members
  • 1,401 posts

OniGanon wrote...

Interesting. Can it be done during the side/back rolls too?

Only front rolls for those races. Specifically they all share the same animation for that front roll. Haven't had it work for any other direction, Asari dashes, or Drell flips, but it's possible I could have missed checking one. Not totally sure why it works for that particular front roll either.

My main application for this is, when running from point A to B, if I see a better opportunity to use a longer range weapon over a shotgun I'll roll right into it from the run and start shooting without waiting for the swap animation.

Edited by Edalborez, 27 May 2012 - 05:13 PM.

count_4

count_4
  • Members
  • 2,908 posts

Edalborez wrote...
-A variation can be done if you are at the edge of cover. Start switching your weapon and then run out. The weapon will instantly be in your hand. This -does- work for Missiles. Can also be done for all races.

Hadn't noticed this yet. Nice find.

firegremlin

firegremlin
  • Members
  • 45 posts
Interesting, will have to try this out

Edalborez

Edalborez
  • Members
  • 1,401 posts
Tidied up the first post, and added a section on Power Cancelling as I don't want to make another topic for it :) Most of it is fluff but the section on Quick Tech Armor is somewhat practical. Give it a try!

Edalborez wrote...
Power Cancel
Might be common knowledge at this point, but you can cancel powers with a roll, light melee, or heavy melee. Many powers execute quickly enough that this isn't a direct benefit, in particular most tech powers which are fired instantly. Most biotic powers have a small windup before they execute, so this can also cancel them before they even start. There are a few special cases for which this can help:

Power > (Heavy) Melee
Generally this is only somewhat useful if you need to melee something that won't hold still, such as a Nemesis. Stun with a power then cancel into heavy melee. Example: Energy Drain -> Heavy Melee

As a funny bonus, if the power has force behind it (Shockwave, for example) and your heavy melee tracks when it executes you will track the flying enemy.

Quick Tech Armor
Tech Armor, Blade Armor, and Hunter Mode ordinarily have a canned animation where your character fidgets with their hands to activate the armor/mode, during which you can't shoot or run for a second. This can be cancelled with a melee attack or roll to recover slightly quicker. Useful as you can sprint or fire straight out of the animation of a light melee. If you quick activate Tech Armor twice in a row, you can set and detonate very quickly for emergencies.
*Blade Armor and Hunter Mode are mostly noted for completion's sake; this isn't as useful for them as toggling is not necesary.

Example 1: Activate Tech > light melee > Detonate tech > (light or heavy melee) > (if light, anything) 
Example 2: (De)activate Tech > light melee > sprint 

Barrier Cancel
Around 1 second after "detonating" the Krogan Vanguard's Barrier, if he was in the middle of a melee attack he immediately returns to a regular standing position. This can be abused if you cancel the detonation as quickly as possible into a heavy melee; the ending recovery of the Krogan charge will be gone for that melee. Limited in use, but strange and notable.

Edited by Edalborez, 29 May 2012 - 12:09 AM.

asaiasai

asaiasai
  • Members
  • 1,391 posts
Nice tip OP i am always lookjng for an edge. Thanks

Jesse

Jesse
  • Members
  • 296 posts
Thanks for these handy tips, will have to try them out this weekend, especially the walk backwards one for Krogans :)

IllusiveManJr

IllusiveManJr
  • Members
  • 12,265 posts
Bump because this is useful info.