Photo

Fixing Join/Hosting/Inviting/Connection problems

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Caratinoid

Caratinoid
  • Members
  • 982 posts
It seems many people are having connection problems so here is some info to help you fix them.

1) I can host and join public matches just fine but I can't connect to some of my friends. Why?

You and your friend have incompatible network configurations. To be able to play together at least one of you must allow incoming connections from other peers on UDP port 3659. This means you need to do this:

1) Forward UDP port 3659 in your router to your computer.
2) Turn UPNP in your router off (not really necessary but I recomend it).
3) All firewalls on your computer must accept incoming connections on that port. If at least one of them doesn't none of it will work.

How will that benefit you? Here is a list of things:
1) You will be able to connect to anyone even if other person is using a strict firewall.
2) Your connection to other players will be established almost instantly.
3) Your lobby will fill faster and you will find games through quick match faster.
4) You will always hear other players on the mic and they will hear you.
5) If the hosting player leaves you will not get "Your connection to the game has been lost" message.

2) I have opened UDP port 3659 but it still does't work. What have I done wrong?

1) First of all test if the port is forwarded correctly with this port checker tool, it's free and simple: PortChecker tool

If it's says that the port is open then everything is done correctly in your router so you can stop looking there. If it doesn't then make sure you forwarded that port to the correct ip address (most common mistake) and also look for firewall programs installed on your computer. If you find any such program then disable it to test if everything works without it and when it does you can then start to mess around more. Some programs such as antiviruses come with firewall that can ruin all the fun because you won't even know there is a firewall.

NOTE: Always close port checker before running mass effect otherwise game will pick a random port since it's in use by port checker and you sure don't want that.

2) Check if Mass Effect is exclusively using that port on you PC. To do that start Mass Effect 3 and create a private lobby then (if you are on Windows 7) bring up windows task manager, on "Perfomance" tab select "Resource Monitor", on the "Network" tab check "MassEffect3.exe" in the list of processes and you should see ports used under "Listening ports". It MUST be using UDP 3659 (it will also be using UDP 9999 and one random UDP port but those do not matter). This tool also checks windows firewall status for that port which should be "Allowed, not restricted". If you select all processes than mass effect must be the only program using that port. If you see some other program using that port you must deal with it accordingly depending on what it is.

3) If one 1 and 2 are not a problem then it's still possible that some application specific firewalls (those that allow you to configure settings for each application separately) are blocking MassEffect3.exe and not the port checker tool. Look for those. If you don't find any you could try to reinstall windows and try to play witout installing any security programs. Keep in mind that reinstalling windows from a hidden harddrive partion or a cd that came with your computer can sometimes install additional software like antivirusses and firewalls. And if that fails and your router doesn't have a public IP (getting a public IP in some countries is problematic) it's possible that your ISP doesn't support incoming connections so forwarding ports is useless and won't help you.

Some other info to help you:

Forwarding UDP port 3659 to your pc:
Forwarding a port means that all data send to your router on port 3659 will be forwarded to a computer you specify (you must specify your own computer of course). To do this go to your router settings and find a tab or a menu or whatever that says port forwarding, there you will need to enter this data:

Local ip: Local ip of your pc
Port range begin: 3659
Port range end: 3659
Protocol: UDP

Don't forget to save the changes. The most common mistake here is using incorrect ip adress of your pc. If you type some adress that doesn't exist or even 'I like pancakes' your router won't care and just drop all the data that comes through this port. Also keep in mind that your pc may have dynamic ip adress which can change after you restart it and in that case your won't be able to play multiplayer at all. You will need to assign a static ip to your pc to make it work every time.

How to get IP of your router and local IP of your pc:
Select start and run cmd.exe, command line window pops up, type : "netstat -r" (without parentheses). In IPv4 routing table find row that has destination 0.0.0.0 and netmask 0.0.0.0 (usually first row). Gateway in this row is IP of your router and interface is local IP of your computer. Simple right?

Windows firewall:
Usually this won't be a problem, so I won't go in to much details here, because the first time you start mass effect it will usually ask you if you want to allow it through the firewall or not, just click yes and you are all done. If you click no you will have to add it manually later. Don't try to be smart here and try to add specific ports just select all UDP and all TCP ports, there is no security risk in doing so because you only allow Mass Effect to go through nothing else. Also windows firewall has 3 profiles: domein, public and private, you can only have one of those selected as current and it can change sometimes when you change your network settings so make sure you add mass effect to the correct profile or even better add it to all three.

3) Me and my friend are at the same place on the same network. Can we play together?

Yes, but one of you must be the host. When you are both in the lobby make it public to get two more people

4) Me and my friend are at the same place on the same network and we want to play with our two friends who also share the same network. Is this possible?

This will work if you have a very specific form of NAT and even then it will fail to do so more often then not. I have looked into this but for the moment don't have any reliable solution. I will update this post if any information becomes avaliable.

5) I am getting "Your connection to the game has been lost" message during a match. Why?

It means you lost your connection to the hosting player computer, not ea server. And the only reason for that is your own network or network of the hosting player if you joined through quick match. Why I am so sure about it? Because there is no ea server in between, from the moment the connection is made between you and the host your system is responsible for mantaining that connection. Before you do anything about it though make sure that you (or anyone on your local network) aren't uploading/downloading anything from internet. Downloading a single file will usually consume full bandwith of your internet connection and that will harm your game connection. Usually there will be some heavy lag before you get disconnected in that case. Now if you are sure that there is no other network activity or the disconnect is very sudden than your router is most likely the problem here. The reason is NAT UDP session being dropped by your router due to a bug in router software (more common than you think). To permanently fix this problem you really need to get a better router but here are few things you can do to minimize a chance of your router going crazy:

1) Update your router firmware.
2) Turn UPNP off in your router.
3) Forward UDP port 3659 to your computer.
4) All firewalls on your computer need to accept incoming connections on that port.
5) Restart you router before playing by unplugging the power.
6) Don't use wireless connection.

How can this help? UPNP allows programs on your computer to configure router settings such as port forwarding automaticaly which in theory should make things easier but there are problems with it. One such problem is that UPNP doesn't require any form of authorization which means that other programs on your computer and programs on other computers on your local network can freely modify those settings without asking you anything leading to conflicts and disconnects. Some UPNP implementations are just buggy and may drop your connection for no good reason. Mass Effect will forward port 3659 for you through UPNP but I can see that it uses a 4 hours timeout, when it expires that port will be closed (restarting the game during that time period will not renew the timer!). If you are in the middle of the game it's possible that you will be disconnected when that timer reaches zero depending on your NAT implementation.
Forwarding that port manually will greatly simplify the connection process minimizing the number of open connections your router needs to keep track of and thus decreasing the chance of disconnect.
I understand that  restarting your router every time you want to play is asking to much but it can save you from a mid game disconnect because you will be starting with clean NAT table every time, and most router with bugs will have problems when that table becomes full.
If you use wireless then try running without it. Wireless networks tend to disconnect you from time to time. You will not see much on your desktop aside from your connection icon going off and then on again but it will kill your game connection for sure. Signal strength reported in windows does not mean much and some routers will tune transmitting power as they see fit (game data may incorrectly be seen as low activity).

6) I am getting "You have lost access to the Mass Effect 3 server. You must connect again to access online features of the title" message during a match. Why?

This means exactly what it says, you have lost connection to Mass Effect 3 server. It seems the game must keep continuous connection with that server at all times. This connection is used to authorize your DLC, deliver you in game info like leaderboards, send your game stistics to them and stuff like that. Reasons for disconnect could be:

1) The server is overloaded and has dropped you. Getting this message during server maintance is normal.

2) Problem with your network setup. Looking for firewalls or forwarding some ports won't help this problem! If firewall was the problem you would get "Can't connect to Mass Effect 3 server... can't authorize DLC..." from the moment you start the game. Port forwarding doesn't do anything here either because YOU connect to THEM not the other way around. It can be a router bug (see 5 for more info), try updating your network adapter drivers and playing without wireless if you use it.

3) This is a game bug. I personaly have never seen this happen during game, but I do get it in game menu and in shop from time to time. It looks like ea server needs to receive something from the game every minute or so, if it doesn't it will close the connection. Sometimes the game will stop sending data however, for example if shop server is busy you will get stuck during purchasing, the game will stop sending data while you wait and the connection will be closed by server side (with no errors and NAT session still active, not a network problem!). Same happens if you let the game alone for few hours while in private lobby or menu. Maybe something can also trigger it during game. My theory for the moment is that if the game process or one of it's connection threads becomes blocked for to long (like getting stuck in the shop while waiting for shop server) then ea server won't get any data from the game which is blocked and will close the connection.

In any case this is a problem of bad design to begin with. If the game loses connection it should try to reconnect instead of throwing you out of the game. Combine bad design with bad implementation, add some differences between network configurations on top of that and you've got yourself a random disconnect generator. And why is this connection so important anyway?

7) How does multiplayer work?

Not many people will ask this question but knowing how the game works will help you understand some problems that you may encounter and help you fix them. This is how the connection layout looks like from the moment four people are in the same lobby:

Posted Image

<more info to come here soon>

8) Why does matchmaking keep putting me in laggy games? Don't they test the ping?

First of all make sure that it's not your fault and that you are not downloading anything from internet in the background (P2P torrent software, internet radio or video, steam, music downloading software and stuff like that) because that can increase lag up to unplayble levels. Secondly, it's almost impossible for ea server to test the actual ping between two remote computers. The only way to test that would be to try and connect them together but that approach would be very time consuming. So what they do instead is try to guess your location based on your ip and connect you with players who are not far from you. That is not very reliable either and and if your ip doesn't much your location it can try to connect you to players who are literally on the other side of the world. There is nothing you can do about it, so if you find some friend with whom you can play together with no lag then add them immediately to your friend list.

9) I contacted customer technical support and they are giving me different advice (different ports etc). Why?

My understanding of this is that people who work in customer technical support don't have any information about technical problems. There is no global list of FAQ's or anything like that. When you contact them they will type your answer in google or BSN search box and copy/paste you the first thing that comes up. I have contacted them myself and was getting links to 5 month old threads on BSN technical support forum with no answer. That means that everyone will be getting different answer to the same question and non of those answers will be official because those almost don't exist.

If it helped you bump this thread so the rest can see it too.;)

Edited by Caratinoid, 23 August 2012 - 05:42 PM.

Brakensiek

Brakensiek
  • Members
  • 418 posts
All did so far was forward port 3659 and did not disconnect once during the couple of hours I just played Ever since the EC patch it was guaranteed to disconnect within the first two minutes of the first game. Thanks! I'll see how long this last.

Caratinoid

Caratinoid
  • Members
  • 982 posts

Brakensiek wrote...

All did so far was forward port 3659 and did not disconnect once during the couple of hours I just played Ever since the EC patch it was guaranteed to disconnect within the first two minutes of the first game. Thanks! I'll see how long this last.

Glad to hear it:wizard:.

Edited by Caratinoid, 14 July 2012 - 08:42 AM.

Xeonzs

Xeonzs
  • Members
  • 211 posts
Will try opening 5659 too besides 3659 and 6000 once I get home.

EDIT1:
Will also disable upnp, always had a idea it never did anything anyway.

Edited by Xeonzs, 17 July 2012 - 05:30 PM.

Caratinoid

Caratinoid
  • Members
  • 982 posts

Xeonzs wrote...

Will try opening 5659 too besides 3659 and 6000 once I get home.

EDIT1:
Will also disable upnp, always had a idea it never did anything anyway.

Well you can forward all three if you want (no harm in trying that) but only UDP 3659 is necessary to my knowledge.

Edited by Caratinoid, 17 July 2012 - 05:50 PM.

Xeonzs

Xeonzs
  • Members
  • 211 posts
Yeah but I already have the other 2 forwarded as per that official post you linked.

EDIT1:
I just added these ports to port mapping to my local IP and enabled the port in special applications in my modem.
I've deactived the NAT firewall completely on my router and added my local IP to the DMZ just incase.

If this works I'll be happy, on the other hand I'll be sad that not 1 bioware or ea rep came up with this.

Edited by Xeonzs, 17 July 2012 - 10:55 PM.

Caratinoid

Caratinoid
  • Members
  • 982 posts
@Xeonzs
Adding your local ip to DMZ makes port forwarding useless. Those 2 features do not stuck. Are you actually still having problems after forwarding those ports?

Xeonzs

Xeonzs
  • Members
  • 211 posts
Well I figured if I added my local IP to the DMZ on my router, then after turning of my NAT firewall on my router I'd only have to forward the ports from my modem which is also a wireless router.

Anyway since I did that I didn't have any disconnects from EA servers anymore however still having hosting issues so something probably went wrong somewhere.

Edited by Xeonzs, 18 July 2012 - 10:10 AM.

Dor1co

Dor1co
  • Members
  • 12 posts
what you think about disabling the Upnp either via windows and services.msc ? Because i've noticed that he only search Random difficulty , it not looks for specific difficulty challange

Edited by Dor1co, 18 July 2012 - 12:27 PM.

Caratinoid

Caratinoid
  • Members
  • 982 posts
@Dor1co
You should disable UPNP in router settings and leave windows service on.

There have been some problems with matchmaking system today. Those are in no way related to UPNP or your network settings.

Nick9015

Nick9015
  • Members
  • 4 posts
Hello, I have the ThomsonTG784 and I can only write in 5 characters in the IP adress section. I have been looking around on forums and there are others who have this problem. None of them seem to know how to solve it. Someone called "tedtrp" or something "helps" by asking counterquestions, which results in the end of that thread: Frustration. Help. Please. I can't even write in the IP and my knowledge about internet and **** like that is very limited.

Caratinoid

Caratinoid
  • Members
  • 982 posts
@Nick9015

You probably try to enter IP adress where it does not belong.

Here is a video of someone forwarding port 51413 (both UDP and TCP) on thomson router:

It's a different model but yours will probably use similar interface.

Edited by Caratinoid, 18 July 2012 - 10:06 PM.

Nick9015

Nick9015
  • Members
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the answer Caratinoid, the thing is however that he already has his address, under "device" or whatever. I cannot even write it in, unless that is done elsewhere as you said.

OneMore1968

OneMore1968
  • Members
  • 792 posts
Caratinoid. I have finally solved the issue of my disconnects. Or it could be a "fix" in the latest Earth DLC. Origin still same as I told you other day. Tried all the port forwarding etc. My router is a Zyxel P-281 with VOIP. I took the port forwarding settings out again as they didn't work. My UPnP setting is off
1. Go into ME3.
2. Alt_TAB back to desktop.
3. Go into Norton 2012 IS, Program Control, delete all references to Origin and ME3
4. Go back into the game.
5. Can play MP without any disconnects for the past 4 days.

It is working for me apart from when certain player's join the game and they are jerking around in one spot. Else I am going backwards or teleporting to other locations, very weird not sure if they are cheating or have a slow connection. I usually come out as you can't play in that scenario.

Nick9015, do a search for your router model + manual, you should get a link to zen.co.uk pdf.  I couldn't find anything specific on port forwarding but I am not a network expert.  I'm sure Caratinoid can help you there.

Edited by Carlina, 20 July 2012 - 11:54 AM.

Caratinoid

Caratinoid
  • Members
  • 982 posts
So, you antivirus was the problem huh? Programs running in the background should really be the first place to look. It's seems that problems with disconnects are very random, I saw a thread today where someone said that his microwave was interfering with wireless network lol. Anyway I am glad you fixed it. Keep in mind that forwarding that port is still necessary unless your are in switch mode or use UPNP. It will work (kind of) without it but your game will behave strangely (sometimes no one will join your lobby, you will have problems inviting friends, quick search can block for few minutes).

Edited by Caratinoid, 20 July 2012 - 04:36 PM.

Caratinoid

Caratinoid
  • Members
  • 982 posts

Nick9015 wrote...

Thanks for the answer Caratinoid, the thing is however that he already has his address, under "device" or whatever. I cannot even write it in, unless that is done elsewhere as you said.

From the video I linked I see that you need to select a specific device from a dropdown list (not a textbox where you can write something but a list). If you computer is not in that list you need to select "user defined" from the list and than you will get an option to add it manually. Maybe you should consider asking someone to help you with it (locally) because changing something there without basic knowledge can have some unpleasant consequences.

orshee

orshee
  • Members
  • 32 posts
disabled firewall, disabled Antivirus...stuck on joining game...

unable to join games hosted by any player from my country (neither they can joinmy game), mostly able to join games hosted by friends from other countries like Portugal and England

bump :sick:

Edited by orshee, 20 July 2012 - 05:35 PM.

Salacious Pop

Salacious Pop
  • Members
  • 12 posts
Any advice on a configuration of 4 friends, 2 each to a shared network connection, not being able to get the 4th person into the lobby?

(2 locations, 2 PCs at each location, 1 IP per 2 machines via routers with NAT). If 3 of us start the match (2 in one location, me in the other) and wait until we're actually playing before throwing the other friend at my location the Invite, not only will he still not be able to connect, but his attempting it actually times me out and throws me out of the match in progress.

http://social.biowar.../index/13239707 more TL;DR details here - neither of us have any problems with staying connected to MP otherwise. We can play for hours side by side either in our own matches or co-op and letting in 2 pugs via public.

Caratinoid

Caratinoid
  • Members
  • 982 posts
@orshee
ISP's in some countries (like mine<_<) supply routers with broken UPNP which means that you must forward ports to your pc manually. Have you tried port forwarding?

@Salacious Pop

If two people are on the same network and both of them try to connect to your network they will have the same remote ip and there is simply no way to distinguish them from each other. I don't know of any working solution for this. Maybe there is a way to establish some kind of connection tunnel for the 4th person but I haven't tried it.

Edited by Caratinoid, 20 July 2012 - 07:31 PM.

Salacious Pop

Salacious Pop
  • Members
  • 12 posts
@Caratinoid

Thanks for taking a look

Any thoughts at all on if setting "Edge Traversal" traffic to "Allow" in all our Windows firewall UDP rules for ME3 could possibly help?

It seems that Origin needs a minimum of 3 unique IPs for 4 people in a match. It has no problems with any configuration of 2 of us in the same IP playing together.. its when that 4th person tries to enter the lobby that it ****s the bed. Like it doesn't have enough brainmeats to go "4 clients, 2 IPs, 2 per unique IP.. hurrrr durrrr".

IMO I hope this gets fixed in a later Origin release.. these seems like a really basic thing to have that kind of limitation.

orshee

orshee
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Caratinoid wrote...

@orshee
ISP's in some countries (like mine<_<) supply routers with broken UPNP which means that you must forward ports to your pc manually. Have you tried port forwarding?

@Salacious Pop

If two people are on the same network and both of them try to connect to your network they will have the same remote ip and there is simply no way to distinguish them from each other. I don't know of any working solution for this. Maybe there is a way to establish some kind of connection tunnel for the 4th person but I haven't tried it.

I'm working in IT company, with plenty of IT experts that helped thinking about problem and bring the answer, so we concluded that : 
a) people i'm trying to join or that are trying to join to me as host are using various ISPs
B) every non EA/Bioware multiplayer game like Counterstrike, WoW, GuildWars, Starcraft II, Diablo III (which i own) have no similar problems and are perfectly playable under current firewal/ISP/Whatever BW will use as excuse settings
c) its not individual problem as more and more ppl are starting to report same thing

ME3 was my 1st BW prchase...as it looks now its gonna bemy last..sadly my EA experiences are not better (as i played Lor of ultima for 3 years) and it seems EA simply doesnt set a support or quality level like blizzard, faling at quality regardles was it Phenomic/Bioware or whatever studio to make games.

Sad, thievery,  annoying and easy to get rid off... no more $ from me...good bye 

Edited by orshee, 21 July 2012 - 03:13 AM.

Caratinoid

Caratinoid
  • Members
  • 982 posts

orshee wrote...

b)every non EA/Bioware multiplayer game like Counterstrike, WoW, GuildWars, Starcraft II, Diablo III (which i own) have no similar problems and are perfectly playable under current firewal/ISP/Whatever BW will use as excuse settings

You are not the first one to say that. Those games use main server to host games instead of P2P we have for mass effect. Why? It's simple: money. Seeing how something could have been done better but wasn't makes me sad but I prefer to just fix the problem myself and move on. In my experience forwarding the port I mention in this thread fixes the problem for most people however there may be other factors involved as well.

Edited by Caratinoid, 21 July 2012 - 10:10 AM.

sparkula

sparkula
  • Members
  • 16 posts
Caratinoid > you sir, are my hero. do you accept burnt offerings? (I have a vorcha flamethrower I'm dying to try out).

thank you. it has been very frustrating not being able to log in and having to deal with call agent after call agent.

orshee

orshee
  • Members
  • 32 posts
So we have player A, B and C,
Player A is unable to join game hosted by player B
Player B is unable to join game hosted by player A.
Players A and B are able to join game hosted by player C,
Player C is able to join games hosted by players A and B.

Players A and B are from same country, player C is from different freaking continent...

ports ...really ? nope

Edited by orshee, 22 July 2012 - 12:34 PM.

bult0055

bult0055
  • Members
  • 140 posts

orshee wrote...

So we have player A, B and C,
Player A is unable to join game hosted by player B
Player B is unable to join game hosted by player A.
Players A and B are able to join game hosted by player C,
Player C is able to join games hosted by players A and B.

Players A and B are from same country, player C is from different freaking continent...

ports ...really ? nope

And this is the same problem I am having since the beginning... No people from the same country only other countries...
Don't know how to fix it... Forwarding ports/ disableing firewall/anti-virus... Nothing works