Photo

Bioware Devs: RFI on AI Detection mechanism.

138 replies to this topic

Lynx7725

Lynx7725
  • Members
  • 1,568 posts
Can we get a Dev clarification on enemy detection algorithms?

Basically, I would like to get to get to know the bones that enemy detection works off. Right now, we know there's a visual element and a non-visual element. Just how this affect gameplay though, is unknown.

EDIT: Some updated info from this thread.

====================

Visual:
  • Enemy reacts to the players sufficiently "realistically" that it appears the system traces LOS from all enemy to each player and react accordingly.
  • There appears to be a "front visibility" arc which each enemy unit has. Detection appears higher in this front visibility, as a player can sneak up on an enemy from the rear.
  • There may be a visual distance limit after which detection does not work, but this is not proven.
====================

Non-Visual:

• Enemies also always roughly know where the player is; this is a necessity, otherwise I suspect the mooks would spawn and just idle at the spawn point. The "wall hack" is needed for the mooks to be "encouraged" to work out a path to get to the player.  That's also why you see stupid behavior sometimes, like shooting at a wall or clustering in a corner (on White, especially). Sometimes, this can be exploited.

Brenon Holmes wrote...
    There are some instances when enemies will cheat, for example if there's only one player left alive (or only one player at all) they will periodically peek behind the curtain to get an idea about where the player is...

• Side note: Player turrets and drones are especially prone to this stupidity, IMO observing Turret and Drone behaviors give some insights into detection algorithms (assuming they use the same algo, which is code efficiency).
  • It is also known that the enemy can react to sneaky gits from behind; the implication is that there has to be some sort of non-visual detection algorithm.
  • It is observed that AI tracks visibility arcs from the players, and AI would have different behaviour in and out of visibility arcs.
  • It is unknown whether the AI observe and back trace tracer fire. This is particularly important for snipers.
  • It is unknown whether the AI is drawn to weapons fire and explosions.
  • It is unknown how cover/ concealment affects detection.

====================

Tracking
  • It is now known that AI -- likely each enemy -- tracks a player's position (meaning, they keep tabs on each of the 4 player individually).

Brenon Holmes wrote...

A bunch of the Geth AIs (Hunter, Pyro) move to the player's location - generally this will bring them within hearing distance if you don't vacate the area they were moving to.

• Under specific circumstances, the AI would cheat and load your current position. This is necessity. Otherwise the AI would not be very intelligent.

Brenon Holmes wrote...
    If you're soloing (or everyone is dead except you), you're in a bit of a tough situation since they'll be peeking relatively often. Your best bet in that situation is to stay mobile. If you're specced for duration on your cloak, use it before you get to cover or whatever position you want to fire from so that they think your last position was out in the open. When you shoot, they'll know where you are again so you need to pick up and move again... etc.

If you're just playing normally most of the above applies, if you need to pass by an enemy - storm past it and keep running for a bit. Make sure you clear the immediate vicinity of an enemy, otherwise they'll know where you are (AI hearing).

====================

Guesswork:
  • Non-visual detection is likely to work on a distance based algorithm, with factors such as player running/ firing or making noise being factors that would up detection count.

Brenon Holmes wrote...
    There is a sound model, so certain things cause sound that the AIs can hear - footsteps, powers, gunfire, death... etc.

Footstep sounds only travel 3m though, if I recall correctly. So if you were to run past an enemy, they'd probably hear you - but they still wouldn't know exactly where you were once you passed outside of footstep range.

[Edit]
    Just went and looked at the data - footstep hearing distance is somewhat variable from 3-6m depending on the enemy type.

• However, if detection algorithms are worked such that weapons fire and running noise would "weigh" one Player above the others, this can create a possible tactic where a "Feint/ Decoy" character can deliberately make noise to draw fire. This is somewhat pausible already, as during objective waves it is possible for a lone teammate to draw off enough enemies to make life easier for the rest.
  • Note that after reviewing what is said by Brenon Holmes, I personally believe that the system works on a broadcast method; When the player takes an action, the action is broadcasted and any enemy that is within detectable range updates their tracking of you. Different actions likely has different weightage; gunfire should weigh more, running less, so there can be an element of stealth in this game... except the AI cheats.
  • In particular, Tactical Cloak can be seen as a detection de-buff, but not a total "null detection" power. It's powerful, but not perfect, particularly if the player cloaked in visual or is moving fast. (Shooting does not matter as it would immediately decloak).
  • Specific to Tact Cloak:

Brenon Holmes wrote...
    Enemies remember where you were - if you've just cloaked they'll keep spraying that area. If you clear the area immediately after you cloak (or are cloaking while moving) you shouldn't get hit by gunfire. Posted Image

Conversely, if you cloak while remaining still and under fire, you'll have to wait for them to retarget... which could take up to a couple seconds in the worst cases.

• Suspicion is that there is no "aggro" mechanics, just a weighted "detected" mechanism, in which the easiest detected Player is attacked preferentially.
====================

Would appreciate if the Devs can share some insights, so that we can come up with interesting tactics to better our game.

Edited by Lynx7725, 23 July 2012 - 05:41 PM.

spudspot

spudspot
  • Members
  • 2,447 posts

Lynx7725 wrote...

However, if detection algorithms are worked such that weapons fire and running noise would "weigh" one Player above the others, this can create a possible tactic where a "Feint/ Decoy" character can deliberately make noise to draw fire. This is somewhat pausible already, as during objective waves it is possible for a lone teammate to draw off enough enemies to make life easier for the rest.

I think I've read something like this a few days ago, posted by a dev. But I totally forgot in which context, so I can't find it anymore.

mpompeo27

mpompeo27
  • Members
  • 1,834 posts
One of the devs posted in a thread about Tac Cloak that enemies can hear player footsteps. The range of detection on hearing footsteps varies from 3-6m.

mrwizeguy

mrwizeguy
  • Members
  • 848 posts

mpompeo27 wrote...

One of the devs posted in a thread about Tac Cloak that enemies can hear player footsteps. The range of detection on hearing footsteps varies from 3-6m.

i think thats there is more to it..

Example , swadow vs a guardian.

Have you noticed that they turn when u shadow strike them?

Even from cloak across the map. so what 6 meter are we talking about here..

edit. good post op

Edited by mrwizeguy, 23 July 2012 - 01:18 PM.

mpompeo27

mpompeo27
  • Members
  • 1,834 posts

mrwizeguy wrote...

mpompeo27 wrote...

edit. good post op

This refers specifically to when you are walking or running past them such as when you are cloaked or if you are approaching them from behind. I have noticed the peculiarity with Guardians having an inordinate ability to track Shadow Strike, but that is a separate issue.

mrwizeguy

mrwizeguy
  • Members
  • 848 posts

mpompeo27 wrote...

mrwizeguy wrote...

mpompeo27 wrote...

edit. good post op

This refers specifically to when you are walking or running past them such as when you are cloaked or if you are approaching them from behind. I have noticed the peculiarity with Guardians having an inordinate ability to track Shadow Strike, but that is a separate issue.

There used to be a pretty fair to say mechanism to cloak that i think has been ninja nerfed.

I remember you could walk next to anything cloaked and unless you had contact it would be fine.

I also remember tha TC standard procedure was , cover cloak escape , this dosent seem to the case anymore i think.

There are enemies that track you down even in cloak , we all know the geth hunters do.

This "range" must have been added along the way because of people complaining about aggro dumping.

edit:
And all the above might be just bs because the devs never give out any ****.
I take my words back.
/edit

So i would like this thread kept alive to clarify some things .

Edited by mrwizeguy, 27 July 2012 - 08:13 AM.

dumael

dumael
  • Members
  • 474 posts
http://social.biowar...x/13265752&lf=8

Dev posts on some TC mechanics.

Edited by dumael, 23 July 2012 - 02:35 PM.

Moonphos87

Moonphos87
  • Members
  • 896 posts
I'm more interested on how Banshee's AI behaviour works right at the start of a wave, or when one of them re-spawns.

Had a couple matches where my best support method was to draw attention, dancing around to keep them occupied, so I'm the first to be at the spawn point + attack them. Yet prefer another teammate that's off-screen, all the way on other side of map (behind me).

Guest_Air Quotes_*

Guest_Air Quotes_*
  • Guests
The enemies know when you have your back turned to them.

I did some testing. I would be looking at the enemy in cover (for example an assault trooper). And he would not leave cover or advance on me. As soon as I turn my back on him he would charge me.

Jonathan Shepard

Jonathan Shepard
  • Members
  • 2,056 posts
Clarification on these mechanics would be welcome. This thread has my support.

mpompeo27

mpompeo27
  • Members
  • 1,834 posts

dumael wrote...

http://social.biowar...x/13265752&lf=8

Dev posts on some TC mechanics.

:ph34r:

Was just about to post that link...

dimeonwu

dimeonwu
  • Members
  • 403 posts
I am not sure if covering fire even forces enemies into cover.

Lynx7725

Lynx7725
  • Members
  • 1,568 posts
Thanks all, I've added Brenon Holmes' replies in the OP where it is relevant.

Air Quotes wrote...

I did some testing. I would be looking at the enemy in cover (for example an assault trooper). And he would not leave cover or advance on me. As soon as I turn my back on him he would charge me.

That's interesting and I think you're right. I do know spawn capping takes into account visual distance, but that spawns themselves also look into that? That's a lot of processing... no wonder there's a cap on number of units.

Lynx7725

Lynx7725
  • Members
  • 1,568 posts
Bump to try for answers..

Lynx7725

Lynx7725
  • Members
  • 1,568 posts
Ok, one more punt to try to catch the Devs. Even a "We're not willing to comment" is good enough...

Sun Tzglyph

Sun Tzglyph
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Air Quotes wrote...

That's completely true, although i think only the enemies that have you in first position on their "awareness list".
I think enemies act in that particular behaviour according to the actions of  one or 2 players max.

Brenon Holmes

Brenon Holmes
  • BioWare Employees
  • 483 posts

Lynx7725 wrote...

<snip>

I'll go over a few of the systems and hopefully that will answer some of your questions? :happy:

Perception (Sight / Hearing)

Vision works within a cone and has a set radius. Outside of that cone and radius, they can't see. Enemies will periodically do LOS tests from their 'eyes' to the player, abiding by the peripheral vision cone and sight radius values.

There is some small amount of sharing, if a couple enemies are near each other they can pass information to each other (though this data isn't as good as them having seen the player for themselves). So if a Geth Trooper is standing next to a Prime, he can tell the Prime when he sees you. Then the Prime sort of knows where you are.

Hearing works within a radius but isn't as strong a type of perception as vision - it gives them a rough idea about where a player is. All sorts of things the player does trigger sound events... walking, firing your gun, using a power, dying... etc. You also generate sound when you fire past an enemy (they hear the sound of your shot flying past their head). From that they can get a general idea about where the shot came from.

Different types of sound make different amounts of noise...

Targetting is based on a whole mess of factors - there is no "aggro" system. Enemies will evaluate all the possible targets periodically (every second or so) and select the best one, if a different target is better (if they think they'd have a better chance of killing the other target), they'll often switch... though they do like to keep their current target if they're fairly close in terms of value.

Example Target Weight Factors:
* Range
* Stealth
* Old Target
* Player vs Henchman
* Perception
* "Good" firing arcs
* etc.

Lukeman1884

Lukeman1884
  • Members
  • 296 posts
Thanks for the clarification. Hmm, this makes the possibility of a proper "tank" class viable, IF we can work out what the actual parameters of the various weight factors, and how much they weigh in.

Drayce333

Drayce333
  • Members
  • 2,092 posts
OK but can you tell us why submission net says it does massive damage to armored targets but it doesn't in reality?

ProfGast

ProfGast
  • Members
  • 284 posts
Thanks for the info! I've always been curious on how the target evaluation is done (I'm often at the wrong end of the AI's targetting despite being farther away, in cover, etc etc.) I guess I'm good at staying in good firing arcs?

mrwizeguy

mrwizeguy
  • Members
  • 848 posts
Thanks again Mr Holmes.

Do they take into account objectives or only player position ?

Javo2357

Javo2357
  • Members
  • 1,409 posts

Brenon Holmes wrote...

Lynx7725 wrote...

<snip>

I'll go over a few of the systems and hopefully that will answer some of your questions? :happy:

Vision works within a cone and has a set radius. Outside of that cone and radius, they can't see. Enemies will periodically do LOS tests from their 'eyes' to the player, abiding by the peripheral vision cone and sight radius values.

There is some small amount of sharing, if a couple enemies are near each other they can pass information to each other (though this data isn't as good as them having seen the player for themselves). So if a Geth Trooper is standing next to a Prime, he can tell the Prime when he sees you. Then the Prime sort of knows where you are.

Hearing works within a radius but isn't as strong a type of perception as vision - it gives them a rough idea about where a player is. All sorts of things the player does trigger sound events... walking, firing your gun, using a power, dying... etc. You also generate sound when you fire past an enemy (they hear the sound of your shot flying past their head). From that they can get a general idea about where the shot came from.

Targetting is based on a whole mess of factors - there is no "aggro" system. Enemies will evaluate all the possible targets periodically (every second or so) and select the best one, if a different target is better (if they think they'd have a better chance of killing the other target), they'll often switch... though they do like to keep their current target if they're fairly close in terms of value.

* Range
* Stealth
* Old Target
* Player vs Henchman
* Perception
* "Good" firing arcs
* etc.

Thank you for replying to this and other threads (not just you but all other BW employees as well). And thx OP for making this. Very useful info, bumping so others can see as well!

OneTrueShot

OneTrueShot
  • Members
  • 2,538 posts

Brenon Holmes wrote...

Targetting is based on a whole mess of factors - there is no "aggro" system. Enemies will evaluate all the possible targets periodically (every second or so) and select the best one,

Would you be able to clarify on this a little more? So very often I feel like I'm targetted based on rank or being the highest scorer. Are these two factors?

Angel Beats

Angel Beats
  • Members
  • 545 posts
I have one question: Is score being taken into account?

Brenon I read that there is no aggro system, but by god it sure feels like it a little. xD I feel like I pull the enemies attention away from my teammates way too much. Heh.

Lynx7725

Lynx7725
  • Members
  • 1,568 posts
First, thanks Brenon, appreciate the help.

Brenon Holmes wrote...

Ah good grief... they're sharing info? and distance-impacted.. which means each unit is tracking other units in its vicinity, or at least have the capability to poll.

And data collated by a single unit is also ranked in terms of accuracy. Just trying to imagine the data structures needed to house all the data processed by the spawns is... ow. Just imagining the processor load.. ow ow.

I guess that's why they have to cheat. Some spawn points are "hidden", no direct LOS. This I "know" is because player LOS into a spawn point will "diminish" the probability of spawning, so spawn point design has to cater for that. Without peeking, the units would just... stay put?

Actually the distance the units share information can be a distingushing point. Cerberus and Geth might share data over a longer distance, make them more tactical as units work "subconsciously" to flank known player positions. Reaper units might not share data as far, so are more likely to resort to "wave" tactics. Can be used to distinguish.

And, hmm.. no wonder Cloak doesn't necessarily work well. If a unit detects a cloaked player, it can pass the information to the others around it. Even as "stale" data, it still alerts the rest to start looking.

Brenon Holmes wrote...

* Range
* Stealth
* Old Target
* Player vs Henchman
* Perception
* "Good" firing arcs
* etc.

So, detection is weighed.. hmm. I also take it on faith that AI units share "hearing" info: "Hey Bob, I hear a rat scampering around below. Go check it out?"

And the AI do backplot shots, which means ambush tactics are harder. Still, knowing roughly how it works can lead to good tactics in Objective Waves. Having a Designated Decoy teammate looks to be a better idea for Cap, Retrieval, Escort now. Hack is probably not good to apply, unless you really have a VERY NOISY DECOY.

Thus it's more accurate to describe Tactical Cloak as a detection debuff power? Some options there for new powers really. I see now how decoy can work, simply by forcing itself to be higher on the priority list.

Again, many thanks for the clarifications, have to think about them a bit.