Photo

How to (somewhat) mitigate your connection issues

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

SavagelyEpic

SavagelyEpic
  • Members
  • 3,734 posts
 First off: Allow me to clarify two things as a quick disclaimer.

1. Why is this thread here? This information can be found elsewhere, both on and off BSN, can't it?

Yes, it can. Some of this thread will be drawing on information found in the tech support forums. However, it's been my observation that most people with connection issues don't take it to the tech forums or check everywhere they can. Tech support mostly seems to imply hardware problems or other non-network crashes/glitches/what have you. I've seen quite a few posts here in the MP forums that detail connection and lag issues, and it does make more sense to have this here considering this is the Multiplayer section. (Which is the only portion of the game significantly affected by network issues)

2. This is not a magic cure.

99% of your connection problems are not on your end and there is nothing you can do about it, no matter how fast or expensive your internet connection. Those are EA's problems and are up to them to fix. With that being said, however, there are a few things you can do to (hopefully) prevent the remaining 1% from impacting your game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To start with, you will need to follow these instructions:

Chris Priestly wrote...

If you are experimenting difficulty connecting to other players online and your Internet connection is behind a router using NAT (Network Address Translation), you may need to take one of the following steps to attempt fixing your issues: 

Xbox 360:

• Enable UPNP on your router. 
Playstation 3:
  • Manually open UDP port 3659 and 6000  on your router to allow inbound and outbound traffic. 
PC:
  • Make sure your personal firewall is configured to allow Mass Effect 3 (Demo or Full game) to communicate to the internet.
  • Manually open UDP port 3659 and 6000  on your router to allow inbound and outbound traffic. 
Please consult your router or personal firewall documentation for information on how to allow game related traffic on these ports. If you are attempting to play on a corporate internet connection, contact your network administrator.

[smilie]http://social.bioware.com/images/forum/emoticons/devil.png[/smilie]

Secondly, if you are on PC you will need to additionally forward the following ports:

TCP 42100 
TCP Port Range 15200-15300
TCP Port Range 9945-9994
TCP 80

If you don't have access to your router manual, either online or in hard copy, you can refer to this website for help and handy dandy guides. 

If anyone knows of any other tips, tricks, or useful info that applies to consoles or anything else, please let me know and I'll update this with the information.

Edited by SavagelyEpic, 05 September 2012 - 08:14 AM.