An in-depth guide on how to PUG effectively. (Ft. Sirian talking... a lot)

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

Guest_Lord_Sirian_*

Guest_Lord_Sirian_*
  • Guests
After sy7ar made a brief guide covering & explaining a few of the things experienced players do while in-game, I decided to make a more in-depth guide. The guide mainly focuses on how I play and a bunch of tips & tricks I use when I'm playing in PUG's (I used to PUG exclusively and learned a lot while doing it, so I felt I'd pass some of the knowledge on).

A few things to be aware of:

Firstly I am not Stardusk, so the video won't sound like it's narrated by Robert Downy Jr. - Sorry about that :(

Secondly, the video is quite long and covers a wide variety of topics, from reload cancelling to soft cover to objectives to revives and more. 

Finally, it is a GENERAL gameplay guide, mainly intended for intermediate players (casual players will likely not care about any of the stuff, and advanced players probably already know a lot/all of it, so bear that in mind). it is not a guide on any specific class or weapon.

You can find the video here. Don't forget to read the description. And don't forget to watch in glorious 720p HD that took me ages and ages and ages to upload.

:wizard:

BridgeBurner

BridgeBurner
  • Members
  • 7,317 posts
Needs fewer asinine accents and more israeli techno / raving scotsmen.

Edited by Annomander, 08 December 2012 - 04:36 AM.

BridgeBurner

BridgeBurner
  • Members
  • 7,317 posts
YOU TOLD PUGS TO LEAVE THE HACK CIRCLE TO SCORE-WH*RE?

DAMNIT SIRIAN!

You are only permitted to leave the circle if you are a krogan when there is sh*t that needs headbutting.

Edited by Annomander, 08 December 2012 - 04:53 AM.

• Lord Gawlron, Carionis and Gamaramdi-Mx like this

BridgeBurner

BridgeBurner
  • Members
  • 7,317 posts
Solution to the not using medi-gel thing:

Get yourself sync killed, then you can slack for the rest of the wave guilt free!

BridgeBurner

BridgeBurner
  • Members
  • 7,317 posts
24:19 you said that unless you're an infiltrator the enemies will gun you down.

So are you implying that cloak DOES make you invisible and reduce the amount of enemies shooting at you?

:lol:

Learn To Love Yourself

Learn To Love Yourself
  • Members
  • 7,371 posts
More like a guide on how to leech Gold with common weapons, PC Scrub. Why is a New Zealand politician even making a video game tutorial anyway?

Solid guide. I'm sure the novice gamer will enjoy it. I just wish this video played after every PUG wipe (unskippable).

Edited by Jack Crapper, 08 December 2012 - 05:10 AM.

JaimasOfRaxis

JaimasOfRaxis
  • Members
  • 2,117 posts

Lord_Sirian wrote...

After sy7ar made a brief guide covering & explaining a few of the things experienced players do while in-game, I decided to make a more in-depth guide. The guide mainly focuses on how I play and a bunch of tips & tricks I use when I'm playing in PUG's (I used to PUG exclusively and learned a lot while doing it, so I felt I'd pass some of the knowledge on).

A few things to be aware of:

Firstly I am not Stardusk, so the video won't sound like it's narrated by Robert Downy Jr. - Sorry about that :(

Secondly, the video is quite long and covers a wide variety of topics, from reload cancelling to soft cover to objectives to revives and more. 

Finally, it is a GENERAL gameplay guide, mainly intended for intermediate players (casual players will likely not care about any of the stuff, and advanced players probably already know a lot/all of it, so bear that in mind). it is not a guide on any specific class or weapon.

You can find the video here. Don't forget to read the description. And don't forget to watch in glorious 720p HD that took me ages and ages and ages to upload.

:wizard:

Posted Image

Sirian, you have once-again outdone yourself with a concise and possibly even accurate guide.

Nicely-done, sir. I tip my hat to ye.

me0120

me0120
  • Members
  • 6,419 posts
Obvious cheater is obvious.

Example 1: your Claymore is shooting before the whole reload animation is finished.
Example 2: you use a Katana, but pellets are coming out instead of puff pastries.
Example 3: you modified the screen to give certain people a stroke.

Zjarcal

Zjarcal
  • Members
  • 10,836 posts

me0120 wrote...

Example 2: you use a Katana, but pellets are coming out instead of puff pastries.

If it shot puff pastries it would have to be nerfed. :wizard:

Also, excellent video top hat krogan. :happy:

EDIT: Lolwut, you were using a Katana on the first part? :D

Edited by Zjarcal, 08 December 2012 - 05:32 AM.

Metal-Three

Metal-Three
  • Members
  • 571 posts
Nice guide, it's definitely helping a noob like me. All this time, I didn't realize that, when people said "reload cancel," they actually meant hitting the medi-gel button. I thought it meant light melee or something.

Guest_Lord_Sirian_*

Guest_Lord_Sirian_*
  • Guests

Annomander wrote...

24:19 you said that unless you're an infiltrator the enemies will gun you down.

So are you implying that cloak DOES make you invisible and reduce the amount of enemies shooting at you?

Every once in a while the game is feeling generous and decides that cloak actually should cloak you from enemies. :whistle: But even then it doesn't stop them shooting AT you, it just makes them miss more often than usual.

Guest_Lord_Sirian_*

Guest_Lord_Sirian_*
  • Guests

Zjarcal wrote...

me0120 wrote...

If it shot puff pastries it would have to be nerfed. :wizard:

Also, excellent video top hat krogan. :happy:

EDIT: Lolwut, you were using a Katana on the first part? :D

Thanks. :)

And I used a claymore to showcase reload cancelling, I used a Katana for the gameplay when I did a random PUG game.

Eelectrica

Eelectrica
  • Members
  • 3,763 posts
Excellent guide.
Giving team mates a chance to revive before gelling is crucial. that gel used on wave 1 might be the one needed on wave 10 to finish it.

Seifer006

Seifer006
  • Members
  • 5,341 posts
I wanted to add these links:
I want to thank Kronner, Stardusk, ZHHK etc...
Players like them helped me to improve from Silver to Gold & Now I play Platinum games Most of the time. Also Shout out to Legionaires

Edited by Seifer006, 08 December 2012 - 05:44 AM.

Metal-Three

Metal-Three
  • Members
  • 571 posts
I read that thread you started about how top scoring with bad weapons doesn't mean that they're good. Are you trying to make that same point by using the Katana, or do you know something that I don't?

Guest_Lord_Sirian_*

Guest_Lord_Sirian_*
  • Guests

Zetsuke wrote...

I read that thread you started about how top scoring with bad weapons doesn't mean that they're good. Are you trying to make that same point by using the Katana, or do you know something that I don't?

Hehe. I just used the Katana to make it so the game lasted a decent time and so I couldn't just roflstomp around the map owning everything really quickly. :P The Katana is not a very good weapon... even though I scored 205k with it. :?

BridgeBurner

BridgeBurner
  • Members
  • 7,317 posts

Lord_Sirian wrote...

Zetsuke wrote...

Hehe. I just used the Katana to make it so the game lasted a decent time and so I couldn't just roflstomp around the map owning everything really quickly. :P The Katana is not a very good weapon... even though I scored 205k with it. :?

Now replicate the feat with a volus sentinel, then I'll be impressed.

d_nought

d_nought
  • Members
  • 4,747 posts
I don't give a damn about the tips, I'm just here to listen to your voice because I know you hate it

Guest_Lord_Sirian_*

Guest_Lord_Sirian_*
  • Guests

chipsandwich wrote...

I don't give a damn about the tips, I'm just here to listen to your voice because I know you hate it

You know all of this stuff anyway. :P

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban
  • Members
  • 26,094 posts

Zetsuke wrote...

Nice guide, it's definitely helping a noob like me. All this time, I didn't realize that, when people said "reload cancel," they actually meant hitting the medi-gel button. I thought it meant light melee or something.

After hundred of hours playing, I still reload cancel by rolling or leaving/hitting cover. It's such a bad habit, but I can't break it.

Zjarcal

Zjarcal
  • Members
  • 10,836 posts

chipsandwich wrote...

Lol, I think everyone hates their own voice.

I actually kind of like his voice, even if it sounds NOTHING LIKE A KROGAN... :bandit:

EDIT: Lol @ the yakety sax fast forward. Even better that it was focused on the drell. :lol:

Edited by Zjarcal, 08 December 2012 - 06:12 AM.

Jay_Hoxtatron

Jay_Hoxtatron
  • Members
  • 3,324 posts
Nice guide, hopefully it'll help other people who want to improve.

aimimia

aimimia
  • Members
  • 958 posts

Jay_Hoxtatron wrote...

Nice guide, hopefully it'll help other people who want to improve.

I knew it helped me, spread the love!

Topographer

Topographer
  • Members
  • 1,213 posts
Sometimes I wish everyone had to watch this video or one like it before playing xD
You touched on most of the key points I can think of. Nice! :D

RainmanMP

RainmanMP
  • Members
  • 176 posts
Good guide, definitely wish more people watched this before jumping up to gold. And most of your tips are just simple things that can help a lot more than people think.