Photo

Tactical Cloak damage boost mechanics

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Cyonan

Cyonan
  • Members
  • 19,341 posts
In all this lovely talk about Tactical Cloak we've had these last few days I've seen a decent number of people arguing about just how long the damage boost lasts and how long the cooldown is.

As luck would have it, you're all wrong =P

Tactical Cloak's damage boost lasts for 1.5 seconds after Tactical Cloak breaks. However, Tactical Cloak will not break for 1 second after you fire(this is why you can do shoot, power, shoot, shoot with the Black Widow). This of course means 2.5 seconds worth of damage increase.

and I know what you're already thinking: "But Cyonan, you said everybody was wrong. I was telling everybody it was 2.5 seconds, I wasn't wrong!"

You remember that part where I said Tactical Cloak doesn't break for 1 second?

That delays the cooldown, meaning the minimum cooldown on Tactical Cloak is actually 4 seconds, not 3 like everyone on the BSN currently thinks.

Additional Points

For the Asari Huntress, Dark Channel and the damage over time component of Warp will both get Tactical Cloak's damage boost for the full duration provided you cast the ability while cloaked.

For the Drell Assassin, Recon Mine only does more damage if you detonate it while cloaked. Placing it while cloaked then detonating it while uncloaked does not give it the damage boost.

Here's a few more things that the BSN likes to claim that are not strictly speaking true.

"Tactical Cloak ignores weapon weight" - Tactical Cloak works on the idea of whatever % of the duration you use is the % of the cooldown you get, with a minimum of 3 seconds after the delay. If my cooldown is 24.5(-200% on my Human Infiltrator) seconds and I stay in cloak for 2.6 seconds(half of my 5.2 duration) then I will get a cooldown of 12.25 seconds.

On a side note, Flamer works on these same cooldown mechanics.

"Tactical Cloak drops aggro" - The way invisibility works is a bit strange, but when you cloak the following happens:

> Enemies will continue to shoot/run at the spot where you cloaked. If you don't move you'll keep getting shot(but they will not have spotted you yet)
> If you get too close to an enemy they will spot you
> Footsteps give off sound in this game, meaning if you're sprinting around the enemy will be able to hear you and know your general location.
> Occasionally enemies will cheat and look through your cloak to see where you are. This is primarily done when spawning so that they know where on the map they should be going to to find you.
> Once an enemy has spotted you in cloak they will be able to see you as though you have no cloak until their next "retarget cycle". This occurs roughly once every 3 seconds. During this time you can still drop aggro by all the normal means.
> If an enemy is currently mid-attack on you, you will need to wait until the next re-targeting cycle before they have lost track of you.

Let's try to keep the QQ about Tactical Cloak to a minimum and keep this a thread about the mechanics of the ability, shall we?

Edited by Cyonan, 16 January 2013 - 11:32 PM.

RedJohn

RedJohn
  • Members
  • 7,163 posts
Interesting.

Dunvi

Dunvi
  • Members
  • 4,841 posts
Cyonan, have I told you that I love you?

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts
 While we're at it, can we address that it does not automatically prevent enemies from targeting you?

And that it doesn't ignore weapon weight?

Those were getting to me.

Cyonan

Cyonan
  • Members
  • 19,341 posts

Jeremiah12LGeek wrote...

While we're at it, can we address that it does not automatically prevent enemies from targeting you?

Those are good points, I'll add them as well.

DullahansXMark

DullahansXMark
  • Members
  • 9,557 posts
Huh. I knew about the 2.5 seconds thing, but not that it's really 4 seconds instead of 3.

Yajuu Omoi

Yajuu Omoi
  • Members
  • 3,611 posts
I'll attempt to calm some of the QQs for you Cyonan...
Technially, no one is wrong at all, just unknowing.

Everyone knows the damage boost if for 1.5s after TC breaks, and they also all know that TCs cooldown is only 3s.

What people DIDN'T know, is that TC has a minimum duration of 1s.

So, really I just re-worded what you said
And this way "everybody wins!" lol

Cyonan

Cyonan
  • Members
  • 19,341 posts

Yajuu Omoi wrote...

I'll attempt to calm some of the QQs for you Cyonan...
Technially, no one is wrong at all, just unknowing.

Everyone knows the damage boost if for 1.5s after TC breaks, and they also all know that TCs cooldown is only 3s.

What people DIDN'T know, is that TC has a minimum duration of 1s.

So, really I just re-worded what you said
And this way "everybody wins!" lol

Yeah, but my way was more amusing =P

I pointed this out in my powers mechanics thread but it seems not many people took notice of it there.

Oddly enough despite being called "minimum duration" you can still cloak, wait a second then fire and you'll still have that 1 second delay.

LegionofRannoch

LegionofRannoch
  • Members
  • 6,963 posts
ultimate.

UnknownMercenary

UnknownMercenary
  • Members
  • 5,547 posts

DullahansXMark wrote...

Huh. I knew about the 2.5 seconds thing, but not that it's really 4 seconds instead of 3.

Yeah, same here.

me0120

me0120
  • Members
  • 6,419 posts

Cyonan wrote...

> Footsteps give off sound in this game, meaning if you're sprinting around the enemy will be able to hear you and know your general location.
> Occasionally enemies will cheat and look through your cloak to see where you are. This is primarily done when spawning so that they know where on the map they should be going to to find you.

I'm curious if "melee" character go off of this same mechanic, or if they are always aware of you. I never thought about it until the "melee characters no longer target pets" nerf.

Cyonan

Cyonan
  • Members
  • 19,341 posts

me0120 wrote...

Cyonan wrote...

I'm curious if "melee" character go off of this same mechanic, or if they are always aware of you. I never thought about it until the "melee characters no longer target pets" nerf.

When I was testing something the other day I noted that Dragoons were running to the spot where I cloaked, though they weren't smashing it randomly.

I'm not sure if the game considers them melee or ranged though. They kind of do both.

Deerber

Deerber
  • Members
  • 16,822 posts

Dunvi wrote...

Ok I'm a guy, and if I'm not wrong Dunvi is a girl so she's entitled to say that, but... Does it feel wrong if I say the same? :lol:

Ok seriously, thank you for taking the time to write this. It's the kind of post that should be more around: precise, concise, informative. What else can one wish for? ^_^

Benjamin Lavos

Benjamin Lavos
  • Members
  • 239 posts
Thank you, Cyonan. You're a trooper.
(Whichever kind you like. I prefer Geth.)

MIA115

MIA115
  • Members
  • 1,148 posts

Dunvi wrote...

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts

Cyonan wrote...

Jeremiah12LGeek wrote...

Those are good points, I'll add them as well.

It might sound silly, but that just made me feel a whole lot better.

Crimson Vanguard

Crimson Vanguard
  • Members
  • 6,130 posts
Hope this will shut those whiners.

Posted Image

Cyonan you are the only non-bias poster in this forum.

Edited by Crimson Vanguard, 13 January 2013 - 05:48 AM.

me0120

me0120
  • Members
  • 6,419 posts

Cyonan wrote...

me0120 wrote...

Cyonan wrote...

When I was testing something the other day I noted that Dragoons were running to the spot where I cloaked, though they weren't smashing it randomly.

I'm not sure if the game considers them melee or ranged though. They kind of do both.

Well we know how to test if they are ranged, throw out a turret and see if they shoot it down. If they can be both is something differerent entirely (hopefully they can't). It's really not an important question, just something I was curious about.

Homey C-Dawg

Homey C-Dawg
  • Members
  • 7,498 posts

Cyonan wrote...

> Once an enemy has spotted you in cloak they always see you until you re-cloak

I didn't know this. This explains a few things. I thought they would lose you without needing to re-cloak if they saw you while invisible but then focused on someone else.

Computron2000

Computron2000
  • Members
  • 4,983 posts
In a normal team game, tactical cloak will cause a retargetting to teammates (the aggro dropping). If the cycle for a targetting check comes up just as you cloak, they will ignore you. This is the reason you can see enemies right in front of you moving to shoot others when you cloak in their faces. Not always but when you use it enough, you'll see it happen.

I have to test the "Once an enemy has spotted you in cloak they always see you until you re-cloak" part but i do remember several times where i have forced them to not see me after running past them (ie in melee range and activating their sight) by forcing a loss of LOS while in duration cloak

Blarg

Blarg
  • Members
  • 3,430 posts
Things like this are one of the two reasons I come to BSN.

Thank you, Cyonan.

Kalas Magnus

Kalas Magnus
  • Members
  • 10,312 posts

MIA115 wrote...

Dunvi wrote...

IllusiveManJr

IllusiveManJr
  • Members
  • 12,265 posts

blaaaaaaaaaarg wrote...

Things like this are one of the two reasons I come to BSN.

Thank you, Cyonan.

What's the other reason? 

And agreed, thanks Cyonan. 

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts

Homey C-Dawg wrote...

Cyonan wrote...

> Once an enemy has spotted you in cloak they always see you until you re-cloak

I didn't know this. This explains a few things. I thought they would lose you without needing to re-cloak if they saw you while invisible but then focused on someone else.

Actually... I have to disagree with this.

It is possible to break LoS after cloaking, and lose enemies following you. No source, just experience. I do it pretty regularly.

It's not simple, and takes more than "getting into cover", so it isn't perfect.

But you can lose pursers without re-coaking.

Edited by Jeremiah12LGeek, 13 January 2013 - 06:08 AM.

me0120

me0120
  • Members
  • 6,419 posts

Jeremiah12LGeek wrote...

It is possible to break LoS after cloaking, and lose enemies following you. No source, just experience. I do it pretty regularly.

It's not simple, and takes more than "getting into cover", so it isn't perfect.

But you can lose pursers without re-coaking.

That can be done with any character. I do it frequently in solos.