Photo

Aggro mechanics

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

Cyonan

Cyonan
  • Members
  • 19,341 posts
After the Tactical Cloak thread I did a bit more testing on "aggro" in this game. Mass Effect 3 does not use a threat table like MMOs do, so gaining or losing aggro is not as simple as "do lots of high threat attacks" or "stop attacking for a second".

For anyone who is unaware of the term, aggro is used to refer to when an enemy is attacking you. If they're attacking you then you have aggro on them.

What I have found about it is this:

In between each attack, the enemy will re-evaluate their target.

In the TC thread I mentioned roughly every 3 seconds, but it seems that the enemy will just do it once they finish one attack cycle. For the Assault Trooper the AI would look something like this:

> Fire 1 burst of 3 to 5 shots.
> Re-evaluate target
> Fire 1 burst of 3 to 5 shots.
> Re-evalutate target

and so on until it runs out of targets or it dies(occasionally it will also decide to throw a grenade).

For a full list of attack cycles, you can find them on my Enemy Damage spreadsheet. One attack cycle consists of the number of bursts that the target has, which can vary but are fired rapidly back to back.

For an enemy such as a Husk, which has no weapon to burst fire, it will have a new cycle about once per second. This will not interrupt a melee attack.

Enemies will cheat on line of sight

This is a minor one, but still note worthy. Occasionally enemies will cheat and take a look to see where the players are. This is primarily done upon spawning, and is done so the enemy will know where on the map they should go to find the players so they aren't just aimlessly wandering.

The enemy also appears to cheat when they cannot find a target. If a melee unit is chasing you and you cloak, they will continue to run to the spot where you cloaked. Once they reach that spot however they now will look for a new target. If there isn't one they will just cheat and see through your cloak.

The part that is mainly noteworthy here is that this will see through everything, including Tactical Cloak as though you do not have it on.

Invisibility and aggro

When you go invisible you are no longer in the line of sight of the enemy so they'll often choose to attack another target(more on exactly how this works later in the post).

However if you are the last one left alive the enemy will try to shoot you anyway. They will continue to fire at the spot where they "think" you are. This is generally the spot where you activated Tactical Cloak.

It's covered more in my Tactical Cloak thread, however getting too close to an enemy will let them see you until the next attack cycle.

Your footsteps make sound

This game does have sound mechanics in it, and your footsteps can give away your position. This only really applies while cloaked(they can clearly see you if you aren't =P), and running makes it worse.

What this means is that if an enemy hears you while invisible, they wont immediately know where you are but they can re-evaluate their next attack cycle to be at the spot where they heard you.

Players spotted via sound appear to be of the lowest priority, and if there is another target that is actually visible the enemy will often choose to go for them instead.

How dropping aggro works

Since there's no threat table it's not as simple as not attacking for a second or using a threat reducing ability like it would in an MMO. The enemy will however, re-evaluate targets based on a few things:

> Distance to target
> Do they have a good line of sight on the target
> How injured is the target
> Who was their previous target
> Can they see the target

Enemies will favour shooting their current target provided that they can, though they will target an injured player if they think they can kill them.

In order to drop aggro, the best way to do this is to simply not be seen by the enemy that is targeting you anymore. Tactical Cloak is of course the easiest way of doing this, but simply running away also works.

This is why playing with 3 Infiltrators makes it feel like you have a target painted on your back, and why following a Krogan Vanguard around can make it feel like the enemy just doesn't care all that much about you(He's very close and a very easy to hit target).

Abilities and the re-targeting cycle

This is the big one. Using Tactical Cloak does not immediately cause all enemies to re-evaluate their target. The enemy will continue to fire on you until their next re-targeting cycle, which in part is what leads to the "My Tactical Cloak doesn't work :crying:" posts.

No ability will trigger a re-target cycle, which also happens to lead to the "My Sabotaged targets still attack me :crying:" threads as well. A hacked enemy will finish their attack cycle before re-evaluating their target and realizing that their targets are now their former allies for the next few seconds.

I should also note that while CC abilities like Stasis wont trigger a re-target cycle, they obviously will immediately cause the enemy to stop firing at you, unless it is the Geth Hunter that is mid-attack(this has to do with charged weapons rather than targeting cycles) =P

If you want to maximize Tactical Cloak and the AI Hacking half of Sabotage, then use it right when the enemy has a break in their attack rather than when they're mid-burst.

This is what I've observed from messing around with aggro in the game, though aggro in Mass Effect is hardly a thing that is set in stone, and the enemy AI has certainly been known to break on occasion, so feel free to discuss any variations you've come across on what I've laid out here.

Edited by Cyonan, 16 January 2013 - 11:13 PM.

• nico_wolf and Ardat-Yakshi Master Race like this

Guest_Heri_*

Guest_Heri_*
  • Guests
I literally *just* bumped a month-old thread on this topic asking if there was more info on how threat works, so thanks for this rather timely post :) Good info to know!

Cyonan

Cyonan
  • Members
  • 19,341 posts

Heri wrote...

I literally *just* bumped a month-old thread on this topic asking if there was more info on how threat works, so thanks for this rather timely post :) Good info to know!

It popped up enough times in my Tactical Cloak thread, for obvious reasons, so I figured I would make a whole new thread on it =P

IllusiveManJr

IllusiveManJr
  • Members
  • 12,265 posts
Didn't know about this targeting cycle, even though now that I think about it, it should've been obvious. Thanks Cyonan!

Ziegrif

Ziegrif
  • Members
  • 10,095 posts
Don't enemies also ''hear'' targets footsteps?
How does that factor into all this if at all?

GriM_AoD

GriM_AoD
  • Members
  • 4,692 posts
10/10

Cyonan

Cyonan
  • Members
  • 19,341 posts

Ziegrif wrote...

Don't enemies also ''hear'' targets footsteps?
How does that factor into all this if at all?

Sound is kind of an odd one.

I've noticed that it doesn't let the enemy know exactly where you are, but it will make them re-evaluate the area that they are shooting in to try to hit you.

Sound appears to be of the lowest priority, and having another player on the field almost always means you wont be targeted.

I'll add a bit about it to the OP.

GallowsPole

GallowsPole
  • Members
  • 4,216 posts
I always thought it naive to think there is no type of aggro system in the game. However, when peeps read BW said this or BW said that, somehow it becomes BSN law.

BW > Merriam Webster

LegionofRannoch

LegionofRannoch
  • Members
  • 6,963 posts
again,

Cyonan is my hero. Posted Image

SectiplaveB4

SectiplaveB4
  • Members
  • 938 posts
Good work!

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts

Cyonan wrote...

Enemies will favour shooting their current target provided that they can, though they will target an injured player if they think they can kill them.

I never knew about injuries altering priority, and it explains a lot.

Great info.

SpockLives

SpockLives
  • Members
  • 571 posts
Good info, thanks. Is it true that melee enemies always see through cloak?

stysiaq

stysiaq
  • Members
  • 8,480 posts
A good read, as always, thank you.

Cyonan

Cyonan
  • Members
  • 19,341 posts

SpockLives wrote...

What I've observed with them is that they'll do what every other unit does, which is simply target the idea where they think you are(usually this is where you cloaked at).

Where the they see through cloak comes from is most likely that since they are melee characters they will just run to the spot where you cloaked at, then get close enough to see you.

I can consistantly trick Dragoons and Brutes into running to the wrong spot of the map when I'm the only player by running away after cloaking.

stysiaq

stysiaq
  • Members
  • 8,480 posts

Cyonan wrote...

SpockLives wrote...

What I've observed with them is that they'll do what every other unit does, which is simply target the idea where they think you are(usually this is where you cloaked at).

Where the they see through cloak comes from is most likely that since they are melee characters they will just run to the spot where you cloaked at, then get close enough to see you.

I can consistantly trick Dragoons and Brutes into running to the wrong spot of the map when I'm the only player by running away after cloaking.

That is true.

You can trick Pyros like that, they just walk to the spot they last seen you and keep on flaming (I think, but I may be wrong)

Kalas Magnus

Kalas Magnus
  • Members
  • 10,312 posts

LegionofRannoch wrote...

again,

Fortack

Fortack
  • Members
  • 2,609 posts
Very informative. Thanks for sharing :)

Do you know why Geth Rocket Troopers shoot before they can see you (got their rocket in me face the moment I can see them. That's before there's an actual line of sight for those bugger)?

It also doesn't explain why the AI will continue to target you when you're down (including when you stay down for a long time - bashing the spacebar). It's quite annoying when rockets are fired before you actually rez (or are revived) hitting you in the face before you have control over your character (and teh sync kills obviously). Any idea why the AI does this?

SpockLives

SpockLives
  • Members
  • 571 posts
Thanks. That helps.

Cyonan

Cyonan
  • Members
  • 19,341 posts

stysiaq wrote...
That is true.

You can trick Pyros like that, they just walk to the spot they last seen you and keep on flaming (I think, but I may be wrong)

Yeah I can do it with them too.

Once they reach that spot one of two things happens:

1. They stand there like an idiot wondering what to do
2. They realize they have no targets and trigger a "cheat" to see where you are so they know where to go(this is more likely to happen with pure melee units like the Brute or Husk).

In the case of #2 they don't know where you are once their next re-target cycle kicks in(about 1 second if they aren't attacking anything) so they'll run to the spot where they last saw you after cheating.

Cyonan

Cyonan
  • Members
  • 19,341 posts

Fortack wrote...

Very informative. Thanks for sharing :)

Do you know why Geth Rocket Troopers shoot before they can see you (got their rocket in me face the moment I can see them. That's before there's an actual line of sight for those bugger)?

It also doesn't explain why the AI will continue to target you when you're down (including when you stay down for a long time - bashing the spacebar). It's quite annoying when rockets are fired before you actually rez (or are revived) hitting you in the face before you have control over your character (and teh sync kills obviously). Any idea why the AI does this?

The Rocket Trooper I suspect has to do with the cheat to see the entire map. They know where you are for a few seconds, and enemies with projectile attacks understand leading the target(even though their projectiles track at insane angles anyway), which leads them to firing perfectly timed rockets to the face when you round corners.

I've not noticed them attacking me while I was still down. Though they do target you once you hit medi-gel or are revived and are still standing up.

The reason for that is because you're seen as being fully alive at this point by the game. You merely have 5 seconds of 100% damage(but not sync kill) immunity when reviving. The enemy AI doesn't understand you being immune to damage or not, just being a viable target or not.

UnknownMercenary

UnknownMercenary
  • Members
  • 5,547 posts
I love these threads. Keep them coming.

Deathshroud09

Deathshroud09
  • Members
  • 920 posts
My biggest issue is when enemies start targeting a less viable target, and nothing but that target, as in......I'm in hard cover trying to shoot at a prime and every time I pop up I get gated because the prime is focusing on me. The kicker? Two of my teammates happen to be out of cover, in the open, in front of me, and spraying down the prime with impunity. This bothers the hell out of me.

More often we will all be out of cover and I'll be at the back of the pack, and yet I'm still the target of all the fire.

Edited by Deathshroud09, 13 January 2013 - 09:33 PM.

Deerber

Deerber
  • Members
  • 16,822 posts

Kalas321 wrote...

LegionofRannoch wrote...

again,

doozerdude

doozerdude
  • Members
  • 2,626 posts