Photo

Piercing Tests(also Guardian Shield bugs)

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Cyonan

Cyonan
  • Members
  • 19,341 posts
I ran a few piercing tests involving reduced damage while using piercing mods, and  this is what I found:

If you are running multiple piercing mods with different reduced damage %(This only applies to Shotguns if you have all your mods at V) then the game will take the lower of the two. For example if you're running one piercing mod with 40% reduced damage while piercing and another with 30%, then your damage is reduced by 30% while shooting through objects.

If you bring AP Rounds and a piercing mod, you still deal reduced damage based on the piercing mod.

If your gun has natural penetration on it, it will never deal reduced damage regardless of mods.

A side note about Guardians:

Shooting their shield with a damage dealing ammo power on will cause the ammo power to deal damage to the Guardian, even if you did not pierce the shield.

If you did pierce his shield with ammo powers on, then the ammo power will hit twice. This means if you're using AP Rounds without a piercing mod(Or any damage dealing ammo power on a gun with natural piercing)you do more damage by shooting his shield than you do mailslotting or flanking him.

Note: Incendiary Ammo does not get applied when shooting the shield, or even through the shield with piercing.

Edited by Cyonan, 27 January 2013 - 10:33 PM.

• Shampoohorn and Ronik82 like this

Shinobu

Shinobu
  • Members
  • 4,357 posts
Thanks for the info!

Original Twigman

Original Twigman
  • Members
  • 4,363 posts
lol, awesome. another way to laugh at gaurdians

jakenou

jakenou
  • Members
  • 3,856 posts

Cyonan wrote...

If you are running multiple piercing mods with different reduced damage %(This only applies to Shotguns if you have all your mods at V) then the game will take the lower of the two. For example if you're running one piercing mod with 40% reduced damage while piercing and another with 30%, then your damage is reduced by 30% while shooting through objects.

Inb4penetrationjokesbcimtotallyserious...

Does the penetration stack if using multiple piercing methods?

Cyonan

Cyonan
  • Members
  • 19,341 posts

jkthunder wrote...

I thought about using an innuendo title, but I'll leave those to Crimson =P

The distance penetrated does stack if using multiple piercing mods/ammo/natural piercing.

drebin

drebin
  • Members
  • 124 posts
I always shoot guardian's shields anyways haha

jakenou

jakenou
  • Members
  • 3,856 posts

Cyonan wrote...

jkthunder wrote...

I thought about using an innuendo title, but I'll leave those to Crimson =P

The distance penetrated does stack if using multiple piercing mods/ammo/natural piercing.

That's what I thought. Thnx.

Hard to resist innuendo titles when talking about piercing I guess, also hard not to sound crude when talking about it.

* secretly giggles *

BridgeBurner

BridgeBurner
  • Members
  • 7,317 posts
Drill Rounds.

How do these interact in regards to piercing mods: bugged damage or proper damage?

Edited by Annomander, 27 January 2013 - 11:16 PM.

Flambrose

Flambrose
  • Members
  • 1,024 posts
I actually noticed this while soloing bronze to test out javelin penetration vs atlas. I noticed one of my javelin shots didn't kill a Guardian but still did a small amount of damage. I deliberately aimed for the empty spot behind the shield and it did the same thing...

They must be........ really attached to that shield. B)

Edited by Flambrose, 28 January 2013 - 12:37 AM.

targaryen8

targaryen8
  • Members
  • 428 posts
Cyonan, you never cease to amaze me. Thanks a lot for the info.

Drayce333

Drayce333
  • Members
  • 2,092 posts
Assault Rifle 50 weight capacity piercing mod is actually useful?

UnknownMercenary

UnknownMercenary
  • Members
  • 5,547 posts
Hm, so piercing only affects distance penetration and the flat 50 damage penalty for a gun like the Typhoon or Javelin?

Charaxan

Charaxan
  • Members
  • 881 posts
I don't understand : I always thought the percent of reduced damages stacked : Exemple, if you had only 60pc on one mod and 40pc on an other, you would have a 100pc, except there is a minimum reduction of 10pc.

TheKillerAngel

TheKillerAngel
  • Members
  • 3,608 posts

Cyonan wrote...

I ran a few piercing tests involving reduced damage while using piercing mods, and  this is what I found:

If you bring AP Rounds and a piercing mod, you still deal reduced damage based on the piercing mod.

If your gun has natural penetration on it, it will never deal reduced damage regardless of mods.

A side note about Guardians:

Shooting their shield with a damage dealing ammo power on will cause the ammo power to deal damage to the Guardian, even if you did not pierce the shield.

If you did pierce his shield with ammo powers on, then the ammo power will hit twice. This means if you're using AP Rounds without a piercing mod(Or any damage dealing ammo power on a gun with natural piercing)you do more damage by shooting his shield than you do mailslotting or flanking him.

Note: Incendiary Ammo does not get applied when shooting the shield, or even through the shield with piercing.

I have noticed this. Using warp ammo I could shoot a Guardian's shield and damage him.

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts

Cyonan wrote...

Could this have something to do with it being a DoT effect?

It seems to be one of the few ammo types capable of applying it's damage effects after the weapon's damage is applied (explosive ammo is the other one I can think of.)

llandwynwyn

llandwynwyn
  • Members
  • 3,761 posts

Cyonan wrote...

you do more damage by shooting his shield than you do mailslotting or flanking him.

Well, he dies when we mailslot him, so....

Zjarcal

Zjarcal
  • Members
  • 10,836 posts
lolguardians... they really should be redesigned at this point.

Thanks for the test Cyonan.

Annika

Annika
  • Members
  • 239 posts
So the Typhoon with HVB doesn't have any damage reduction? Great! Thanks for your work Cyonan!

HolyAvenger

HolyAvenger
  • Members
  • 13,848 posts
Does anyone NOT oneshot Guardians?

They should have armour, and Dragoons should have health (CC, grabs etc).

Computron2000

Computron2000
  • Members
  • 4,983 posts
Good info. Interesting on the extra damage

Cyonan

Cyonan
  • Members
  • 19,341 posts

Charaxan wrote...

I don't understand : I always thought the percent of reduced damages stacked : Exemple, if you had only 60pc on one mod and 40pc on an other, you would have a 100pc, except there is a minimum reduction of 10pc.

They don't stack. If you have 60% reduced damage on one, and 40% reduced damage on the other your shot would just be reduced by 40%. The 60% gets ignored in this case.

The only exception is when your gun has natural piercing to it(Javelin, Typhoon, etc.) in which case it doesn't lose any damage while piercing.

UnknownMercenary wrote...

Hm, so piercing only affects distance penetration and the flat 50 damage penalty for a gun like the Typhoon or Javelin?

Yeah, just those(and the 50 damage per shot isn't that big of a deal for the Javelin anyway).

Annomander wrote...

Drill Rounds.

How do these interact in regards to piercing mods: bugged damage or proper damage?

Ran some more tests.

Drill rounds with piercing mods will still cause your gun to lose damage while piercing.

However, I also noticed that if you're using using a piercing mod then ammo power damage is also reduced while piercing solid objects(this is one of the very few modifiers that can affect ammo powers).

In the case of Guardians, only one of the two hits from ammo powers are reduced.

cgtrfghj7

cgtrfghj7
  • Members
  • 958 posts

Cyonan wrote...

I'm not quite sure I understand this line. So are you saying HVB would not be of any use on a Typhoon? 

Edited by cgtrfghj7, 28 January 2013 - 04:15 AM.

WorgariusShadowfang

WorgariusShadowfang
  • Members
  • 16 posts

cgtrfghj7 wrote...

Cyonan wrote...

I'm not quite sure I understand this line. So are you saying HVB would not be of any use on a Typhoon? 

I'm pretty sure he means it will never have reduced damage when being fired through cover into an enemy, regardless of the mod/ammo used to gain additional cover penetration.  It still is affected by Armor DR and thus needs armor mitigation effects for maximum DPS. 

Cyonan

Cyonan
  • Members
  • 19,341 posts

cgtrfghj7 wrote...

Cyonan wrote...

If I used the HVB on say, the Harrier, then while I was shooting through solid objects my damage is reduced by 40%.

If I used it on the Typhoon, then while shooting through solid objects my damage is not reduced at all.

The HVB will still ignore 90% of armour normally for both guns.

Daihannya

Daihannya
  • Members
  • 763 posts
Did you happen to test if adding the two mods actually increase the distance it pierces as well? Or just picks the lower of the two again?