Photo

On-host vs. Off-host

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Simon_Wryly

Simon_Wryly
  • Members
  • 203 posts
I've only been playing MP since October and so I'm trying to catch up as best I can to all of you who already know everything.

One thing I haven't been able to find is a comprehensive listing of all the on-host/off-host issues. I know some kits / weapons / gear work better on and some work better off. The Fury is a great example and one that I've personally experienced, but I also know there are a ton more out there I don't know about. I'd like to be able to avoid the bad ones and take advantage of the good ones - I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I searched for terms I thought might get me there, but all I could find is a lot of disconnected posts regarding one issue or another, nothing listing all of them.

If the list doesn't already exist, please... list whatever you can think of off the top of your heads and if there's enough interest I'll compile it myself and share it with all of you. (I'm really hoping it already exists!)

Thanks all!

Doctor Trick

Doctor Trick
  • Members
  • 879 posts
Projectile weapons off host are not good, barring the Scorpion and Acolyte because you can just shoot at the feet.

Nova and Phase Disruptor are a little slow to trigger when off host.

Ops and Stim Packs can sometimes be used on your corpse if you die before the game registers that you have hit it.

Phantom had more DR when hosting, not 100% sure on this one. I don't play on host too often and when I have I haven't noticed it too much.

fireandforget892

fireandforget892
  • Members
  • 264 posts
Off-host: Cluster grenades stick together as if they were one grenade. Phase Disruptor has significant delay issues. Incendiary Ammo is less reliable to prime Fire Explosions (there's a longer delay between the "panic" animation and the actual fire DoT that can be detonated). Annihilation Field's animation can appear when it's not activated and disappear when it is. Projectile weapons are unreliable (Graal, Scorpion, Krysae, Kishock, etc.).

On-host: Phantoms are quicker to respond to actions of the host and benefit more from damage-resisting animations.

Edited by fireandforget892, 01 February 2013 - 06:31 AM.

Clayless

Clayless
  • Members
  • 7,051 posts
Submission Net can actually be used effectively on host.

On host Phantoms have insane DR.

Guest_Lord_Sirian_*

Guest_Lord_Sirian_*
  • Guests
On host it's incredibly easy to get headshots, not die and the game is about 15 x easier and more playable. Most things work as they are supposed to.

Off host everything is broken, stupid and doesn't work properly. BS deaths are par for the course and happen multiple times per game. Only good things about not hosting:

You can get 3 shot Raider clips
Phantoms aren't broken

d_nought

d_nought
  • Members
  • 4,747 posts

Lord_Sirian wrote...

On host it's incredibly easy to get headshots, not die and the game is about 15 x easier and more playable. Most things work as they are supposed to.

Off host everything is broken, stupid and doesn't work properly. BS deaths are par for the course and happen multiple times per game. Only good things about not hosting:

Phantoms aren't broken

Cluster Gernades are more accurate

Simon_Wryly

Simon_Wryly
  • Members
  • 203 posts
Excellent info, everyone, this is great... thanks!

Fiddles dee dee

Fiddles dee dee
  • Members
  • 2,462 posts

Lord_Sirian wrote...

Phantoms aren't broken

Could this be more of a location/speed issue? I've encountered problems with slower connections in the US but haven't had a drama with the high speed ones.

ZiRK

ZiRK
  • Members
  • 1,022 posts

Lord_Sirian wrote...

Phantoms aren't broken

Agree with this guy

Titus Thongger

Titus Thongger
  • Members
  • 6,086 posts
grenades may not fire off host at times, resulting in a somewhat hilarious windmilling of the arms in a futile attempt to bomb a spawn as they unload into your now dead corpse

Guest_Lord_Sirian_*

Guest_Lord_Sirian_*
  • Guests

Fiddles dee dee wrote...

Lord_Sirian wrote...

Phantoms aren't broken

Could this be more of a location/speed issue? I've encountered problems with slower connections in the US but haven't had a drama with the high speed ones.

Obviously if you're playing with someone close by, then the off/on host disparities will be lessened (but still very much there).

But Australia has a garbage connection to the rest of the world, so whenever I play with a host who isn't from Aus, I get tons of lag.

Muhkida

Muhkida
  • Members
  • 1,259 posts
Biotic Charge on marked target may = dingdingdingding off-host. Adjust accordingly...

Fiddles dee dee

Fiddles dee dee
  • Members
  • 2,462 posts

Lord_Sirian wrote...

Obviously if you're playing with someone close by, then the off/on host disparities will be lessened (but still very much there).

But Australia has a garbage connection to the rest of the world, so whenever I play with a host who isn't from Aus, I get tons of lag.

Potentially a platform issue then? I'm Australian but I'm on 360. Don't get me wrong the game is infinitely better on-host (except for Phantoms) but with the right speed connection I don't have horrendous issues such as unloading the Graal into an already dead Centurion that usually comes with slower connections.

Or I guess I could just be lucky :P

Guest_Lord_Sirian_*

Guest_Lord_Sirian_*
  • Guests

Fiddles dee dee wrote...

Lord_Sirian wrote...

Potentially a platform issue then? I'm Australian but I'm on 360. Don't get me wrong the game is infinitely better on-host (except for Phantoms) but with the right speed connection I don't have horrendous issues such as unloading the Graal into an already dead Centurion that usually comes with slower connections.

lag is not platform specific, lol. 

Get a European friend and get them to host for you. Play a Vanguard. Have fun.

Blind2Society

Blind2Society
  • Members
  • 7,576 posts
Hosting is best in my opinion. The two downsides being phantom DR and the fact that every enemy on the map seems to go out of its way to find the host (me).

darkpassenger2342

darkpassenger2342
  • Members
  • 6,944 posts
i only notice 2 significant things when on/offf host, the rest of these things rarely, if ever, do..
those 2 things are all the phantom stuff, and graal/kishok.
whenever i play with friends, they always host and it never bothers me.
i guess i should note i have people i play with from all over the world, because of my job im awake at odd times.

Edited by darkpassenger2342, 01 February 2013 - 07:44 AM.

Titus Thongger

Titus Thongger
  • Members
  • 6,086 posts

Lord_Sirian wrote...

Fiddles dee dee wrote...

Lord_Sirian wrote...

Get a European  Russian friend and get them to host for you. Play a Vanguard. Have fun.

fixed :3 

rubynorman

rubynorman
  • Members
  • 1,373 posts

Titus Thongger wrote...

Lord_Sirian wrote...

Fiddles dee dee wrote...

Lord_Sirian wrote...

Get a European  Russian friend and get them to host for you. Play a Vanguard. Have fun.

fixed :3 

I'm from SEA. 2 of my friend are from Russia, they are even in the same time zone as me but I'm lagging when they host. Another friend is from Australia. When playing with him it's like I'm hosting. A couple of friends are from EU, they're excellent at hosting too.

uhaveaface

uhaveaface
  • Members
  • 234 posts
i'm surprised at this limited list. i'm on ps3 in usa with a 25/3 internet connection and 3 month new hard drive. been playing since march and have played other online gems like rdr, uncharted and ac... me3 mp is one of my favorites gameplay-wise and at the same time is, by far, the worst in working properly (compared to the aforementioned gems). here's what i commonly experience off host:

biotic explosions fail about 25% of the time: warp / throw, annihilation field / throw, biotic sphere / reave, warp / shockwave, singularity / lash... all the other combos too.

grenades don't throw... again, about 25% of the time i'll witness the animation with the correct sound, no grenade. double throwing blank grenades happens too.

often, i have to mash the button to: biotic charge, ops pack or shield boost... sometimes it simply doesn't work, like strafing and shooting while mashing triangle to biotic charge and no charge ever happens.

biotic orbs, phase disruptor and teleporting are all in slow motion, nullifying their usefulness.

graal and kishock are drunken shots off host.

switching weapons is nowhere near as responsive as on the videos i've seen of "the greats" on this forum that post their solo runs.

on host is waaay better and sometimes is perfect the whole way through yet you may still experience a failed grenade throw or having to press the button twice for things to work.

have fun dude. i'm queued up for another batsol run and hopefully this time i'll throw my grenades each time rather than practice with a wind up first and then throw a grenade on my second throw.

Simon_Wryly

Simon_Wryly
  • Members
  • 203 posts

uhaveaface wrote...

have fun dude. i'm queued up for another batsol run and hopefully this time i'll throw my grenades each time rather than practice with a wind up first and then throw a grenade on my second throw.

Good luck :D

Ryumanjisen

Ryumanjisen
  • Members
  • 286 posts

Lord_Sirian wrote...

Not too much lessened. I play a lot with two friends from my same city (one of them is, literally,  just three blocks away from me) and the lag is as worse as with any other European (or even US'ers) I find over the net.

Edited by Ryumanjisen, 01 February 2013 - 09:33 AM.

SierraGHOSTN7

SierraGHOSTN7
  • Members
  • 1,544 posts
I play mostly off-host and when I finally host it feels like a dream, I feel like a Rambo suddenly and everything just dies within seconds. :D

nuh1

nuh1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Lord_Sirian wrote...

Phantoms aren't broken

Unless you are playing with 120+ fps on pc, then your on-host ai have mind steroids and aimbots.

Guest_Lord_Sirian_*

Guest_Lord_Sirian_*
  • Guests

nuh1 wrote...

Lord_Sirian wrote...

Phantoms aren't broken

Unless you are playing with 120+ fps on pc, then your on-host ai have mind steroids and aimbots.

Well that doesn't really matter, since it's only the host's FPS that matters. If you're playing with 400 ms AND a host with 120 FPS... :unsure: 

And at 60 FPS they're pretty damn accurate. They also seem to see through TC a LOT more often at higher FPS.

nuh1

nuh1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Lord_Sirian wrote...

nuh1 wrote...

Lord_Sirian wrote...

Phantoms aren't broken

Well that doesn't really matter, since it's only the host's FPS that matters. If you're playing with 400 ms AND a host with 120 FPS... :unsure: 

And at 60 FPS they're pretty damn accurate. They also seem to see through TC a LOT more often at higher FPS.

Which is why I bolded what I was referring to. But yeah, agreed on the even at 60 fps. I just kind of close my eyes and pray for someone with a decent fps (30-60) gpu and good connection host when I pug; no one likes my aimbot ai :pinched: