Photo

New Player Guide (Input from other players would be appreciated)

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

ComradeShepard7

ComradeShepard7
  • Members
  • 1,259 posts
In light of the influx of new players that occured around christmas I decided to put together a guide to help these new players out. I have compiled a document, which can be found here, that contains build advice, tips/tricks, and video showing the base human characters in action on silver using only the starter weapons without using any mods or gear.

I was hopin that some of the other players here on the BSN could look over the guide, point out any errors, and suggest things that you think should be added to the guide. If you know of any other new player guides please let me know so that I may link to them in order to provide the new players with a variety of ideas for builds.

I only play on PC so if you notice anything that is different for consoles please mention it and if you can come up with an explanation that can be put into the guide. The differences for reload canceling have already been pointed out so if you can explain the console methods please do so and a video explanation would be good to have as well.

Update 1:
-Emphasized the cooperative nature of the game.
-Added a section on the difficulties and their credit/xp rewards. Platinum section may need revision.
-Added list of enemies capable of performing executions. May also need revision.
-Made section for links to guides other people have made.

Update 2:
-Increased line spacing to 1.5 to make things easier on the eyes. Will increase to double if people think 1.5 is not enough.
-Removed Centurions from the list of enemies who can perform executions.
-Added that you can still get sync killed after popping an ops pack.

Update 3:
-Added anti-Banshee ramp magic to the sync kill section.
-Added soloing of objectives to the objective waves section.

Update 4:
-Removed sync kill / score relation due to not finding any reliable information.
-Added ME3 Multiplayer Discussion Compendium to the resources section.
-Added caveat about the accuracy and completeness of information on the wiki.

Update 5:
-Improved formatting to make it easier to navigate the guide
-Update some information in the guide

Edited by ComradeShepard7, 02 July 2013 - 11:02 AM.

orehlol

orehlol
  • Members
  • 809 posts
Why no camping LZ?
It's the best part of the mission!!!!!

ABjerre

ABjerre
  • Members
  • 2,411 posts
It is indeed a very well written guide for starters - it gives a nice introduction to the tools one has got at their disposal, as well as some info on where to dig further in to the game mechanics.

One thing that i think you may have left out is the importance of accepting the importance of team work, not running off alone, and denouncing score-****ing:

Do not run off alone:
The targeting mechanic of enemies alone emphasizes this (shoot burst at current target, reevaluate, seek new target  - only that with 1 visible target it will always be the same target that is aquired). However, you cant expect a new player to know this, so basic math should also be able to do it:

When running off solo compared to just having 1 squad member with you, one will take in twice as much fire while having twice as many enemies to shoot at - the workload being alone is exponential to when being in a team.
Couple this with not being able to synergize with another class and it will be apparent that your shield and health bar will take a much harder beating for an extended period of time.

Accepting responsibility for the teams performance:
When (not if; when) you are incapitated, given that you do not want to spend a consumeable, the teams effective output is decreased by ~25%. Except that its not just 25% as someone has to come to the rescue too - this means that 50% of the team is now doing somehting that they shouldn't: 1 - being incapitated, 2 - coming to the rescue.
Now, given that you were just incapitated being alone in that particular spot, theres a good chance that whoever comes to the rescue will be too. As a concequence, an additional team member should accompany to make up for this - in essence, this leaves just 1 guy doing what he is supposed to, or in another wording: Because of your mistake the teams performance is decreased by 75%.

Your personal score and what it matters:
None. Absolutely nothing except for e-peen. All experience and credits are shared among the team so you will gain the same result no matter how many points you score. As such, there is absolutely no reason to run off alone thinking you were hot shlt in Single Player campagin and that you will flank the enemy being the man of the hour.

Welcome to ME3 MP - you are not a unique flake of snow, you will get killed and your team will hate you.

Edited by ABjerre, 05 February 2013 - 07:06 AM.

DullahansXMark

DullahansXMark
  • Members
  • 9,557 posts
I actually did something like this quite some time ago. Granted yours is better and mine is outdated (I wrote it when Earth was only in the "Leaked" phase), but I like where your mind is.

I might have missed it, but you should include an explanation of how each difficulty works and how much you can get paid for it. (Which I can help with if you need me to)

Edited by DullahansXMark, 05 February 2013 - 06:41 AM.

doozerdude

doozerdude
  • Members
  • 2,626 posts
Good guide, although I don't believe gaurdians are that big of a threat...

Euric

Euric
  • Members
  • 443 posts

ComradeShepard7 wrote...

In light of the influx of new players that occured around christmas I decided to put together a guide to help these new players out. I have compiled a document, which can be found here, that contains build advice, tips/tricks, and video showing the base human characters in action on silver using only the starter weapons without using any mods or gear.

I was hopin that some of the other players here on the BSN could look over the guide, point out any errors, and suggest things that you think should be added to the guide. If you know of any other new player guides please let me know so that I may link to them in order to provide the new players with a variety of ideas for builds.

This is such excellent work. Kudos to your effort.

ComradeShepard7

ComradeShepard7
  • Members
  • 1,259 posts

orehlol wrote...

Why no camping LZ?
It's the best part of the mission!!!!!

And those who do will be blessed with a quick trip to Valhalla.

ISHYGDDT

ISHYGDDT
  • Members
  • 6,930 posts
Pretty thorough. I didn't look through everything but could you please emphasize somewhere that you should use equipment when you go into a gold+ lobby?

ComradeShepard7

ComradeShepard7
  • Members
  • 1,259 posts

DullahansXMark wrote...

I actually did something like this quite some time ago. Granted yours is better and mine is outdated (I wrote it when Earth was only in the "Leaked" phase), but I like where your mind is.

I might have missed it, but you should include an explanation of how each difficulty works and how much you can get paid for it. (Which I can help with if you need me to)

I can add the stuff about difficulties and credits soon but I might not get to it tonight. If you have a link to your guide you should dig it up so that I can put it in this. Even if it is outdated you might have some advice that I don't and some different build suggestions.

ComradeShepard7

ComradeShepard7
  • Members
  • 1,259 posts

doozerdude wrote...

I don't believe they are threat either but for a new player who doesn't have any piercing mods yet they can be a bit difficult to deal with.

ComradeShepard7

ComradeShepard7
  • Members
  • 1,259 posts

ISHYGDDT wrote...

Pretty thorough. I didn't look through everything but could you please emphasize somewhere that you should use equipment when you go into a gold+ lobby?

I will add that when I put in a section on the difficulties and credit rewards. I am also going to emphasize that new players should wait to do gold and above until they familiarize themselves with the game and can do silver comfortably.

Krushar

Krushar
  • Members
  • 275 posts
might be a good idea to list in the execution section which enemies can and can't stomp you, no use having new players popping gels thinking the hunter walking over them is about to finish them off

DullahansXMark

DullahansXMark
  • Members
  • 9,557 posts

ComradeShepard7 wrote...

DullahansXMark wrote...

I can add the stuff about difficulties and credits soon but I might not get to it tonight. If you have a link to your guide you should dig it up so that I can put it in this. Even if it is outdated you might have some advice that I don't and some different build suggestions.

Well, if you think it'll help, here it is. I'm gonna warn you ahead of time though, it really isn't very good.

ComradeShepard7

ComradeShepard7
  • Members
  • 1,259 posts

DullahansXMark wrote...

I added a section on the difficulties but I am not sure about some of the stuff for platinum since I haven't played very much of it. Do you know about how much credits a succesful game results in and how much xp you can get from an unknown/unknown game?

ComradeShepard7

ComradeShepard7
  • Members
  • 1,259 posts

Krushar wrote...

might be a good idea to list in the execution section which enemies can and can't stomp you, no use having new players popping gels thinking the hunter walking over them is about to finish them off

I added a list but I may have missed some execution capable enemies.

masleslie

masleslie
  • Members
  • 790 posts

doozerdude wrote...

Depends if you equip a piercing mod or ap ammo.
Without that you are in heap big do-do if you get two or three of them come at you unless you happen to have pull or shockwave.
I always equip piercing mods.

masleslie

masleslie
  • Members
  • 790 posts
I agree about not camping the LZ.

But I find unless you have a really good team the traditional 'kiting' idea of working your way round the map drawing enemies behind you doesn't work well either. On Gold particularly it turns into chaos because unless you are doing enough to focus the enemies attention in one place they will sneak up on you from different directions & you get just as overwhelmed as you would at the LZ.

I prefer a staged retreat. Spread out preferably in two teams & take up positions watching different approaches to the LZ a little way off. Take on Enemies as they come, splitting the aggro between you & watch each other to make sure no-one is under too much pressure. When the enemies build up all fall back to different cover nearer to the LZ. Rinse & repeat. Time it right you are in position to make a run to the LZ in the last seconds without getting swamped.

dasfranken

dasfranken
  • Members
  • 551 posts
It looked really solid to me!

You may wish to add some spaces in-between lines though to make it easier on the eyes.

It should also be noted that console gamers can't use medi-gel to reload cancel. We have to use a power that is still on cooldown or the X/A button (PS3/360). However, the 'omni-button' will cause you to enter hard cover if you are near it. classes without a dodge can input a backwards dodge to avoid entering cover and still reload cancel.

cato potato

cato potato
  • Members
  • 3,927 posts
This is an altogether excellent beginners guide, lists all essential info and links to more advanced stuff. Kudos.

My only quibble is regarding the section on sync kills. You state that sync kills are made more likely if the player has a high score but this is something I've never seen confirmed, can you link to a source? In my experience the scoreboard seems to have no affect on sync kill chance but I may be wrong.

Domnuxx

Domnuxx
  • Members
  • 1,589 posts
Not to be a nitpick or anything, but I don't think Centurions can execute downed players (at least I've never been/seen one).

Edit: Also, Ops Packs grants you temporary invulnerability from damage, but you can still be insta-killed.

All in all, good, thorough guide. Good job!

Edited by Domnux, 05 February 2013 - 09:46 AM.

ComradeShepard7

ComradeShepard7
  • Members
  • 1,259 posts

dasfranken wrote...

It looked really solid to me!

You may wish to add some spaces in-between lines though to make it easier on the eyes.

It should also be noted that console gamers can't use medi-gel to reload cancel. We have to use a power that is still on cooldown or the X/A button (PS3/360). However, the 'omni-button' will cause you to enter hard cover if you are near it. classes without a dodge can input a backwards dodge to avoid entering cover and still reload cancel.

I only play PC so I have no experience with how things work on the consoles but I do believe that I saw a thread a while back where a console player said that they can reload cancel with medigel. I could be wrong on that though.

If someone can come up with a thorough explanation of the ways to do it on console I will certainly add it. A video guide for doing it on consoles would be good too.

Squire Rudi

Squire Rudi
  • Members
  • 360 posts
Bump for awesomeness

ComradeShepard7

ComradeShepard7
  • Members
  • 1,259 posts

cato_84 wrote...

This is an altogether excellent beginners guide, lists all essential info and links to more advanced stuff. Kudos.

My only quibble is regarding the section on sync kills. You state that sync kills are made more likely if the player has a high score but this is something I've never seen confirmed, can you link to a source? In my experience the scoreboard seems to have no affect on sync kill chance but I may be wrong.

I do not have any good refrences for this. A friend of mine told me that xcalizorz mentioned this in a video where he refered to a BSN thread. It has also been my casual observation that higher scoring players tend to get sync killed more often but this could just be due to a more agressive play style. If I can't find a good source saying that this is the case I plan on removing it from the guide.

Schachmatt123

Schachmatt123
  • Members
  • 789 posts
Which packs to buy and not to buy: Start off with recruit packs, a bronze game will net enough credits to buy three of them.

After the common weapons and mods are maxed, veteran packs will start filling up the uncommon weapons and mods, as will have a chance for a occasional gold card as well. Not to forget the lvl II amps that will come in handy once the player makes his transition into gold. Two silver games grant three vet packs. By the time the uncommon weapons and mods are maxed a new player should be ready for gold.

I seems to be a common mistake to save up for a sp/psp and literally waste the credits on them, so I think it might be a good idea to cover this in a guide like this.

Edit: Oh c***, you already have this covered. My bad Posted Image

Edited by Schachmatt, 05 February 2013 - 09:58 AM.

Hausner85

Hausner85
  • Members
  • 544 posts
great work. Been working on some MP guide my self (different form, different purpose). If you are interested in participating please contact me.