Photo

Movement tutorial. Negating death stagger and fall stagger. (Updated for Reckoning.)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Ziegrif

Ziegrif
  • Members
  • 10,095 posts
EDIT: OUTDATED. DELETED TEH VIDEOS BECAUSE YOUTUBE AND DERP.

Going to go through some things here that minimize: Fall stagger, Resurrection stagger and an assortment of other things.

Negating Death Stagger.
When you die and get resurrected it takes a long while, where you are open to attacks and sync kills, to get up. There are ways to avoid this however.

1. You can do 2 dodges or 3 to get away from the enemy and into cover while your rise up animation plays out.

2. You can use a heavy melee at a right time to completely negate the getting up process. This works best on turians and is timing based on each character.

3. You can heavy melee immediately, after the animation has played out you’ll be dropped back on the floor but now you can fire your weapon. A dodge should also work.

4. Kill or connect with a heavy melee while getting up. Works extremely well on Batarians. You need to rotate the camera towards your enemy to connect the heavy melee.

5. Some characters can link all of these around and make it that you Heavy melee dodge and then shoot.

Negating fall stagger.
You can negate the small stagger caused by falling off ladders. This will only save a couple of moments but it gets worthwhile when you need to get down fast and start shooting immediately. You can also completely skip the going down ladders animation by going sideways or backwards at the ladder in any way rolling or otherwise.

1. You can skip the fall stagger by doing a dodge when you land. Any dodge will do to skip it.

2. With Batarians and Turians you can do one light melee to give you earlier control for the fall. In other words you’ll be able to shoot faster after a fall and start running earlier. The light melee tactic works with anyone that has a 3 hit combo for a light melee or a fast light melee. Geth and Cerberus are not able to do this due to their light melees taking too long.

3. Krogans can use a light melee or a heavy melee. Heavy melees will gather more distance and possibly hit enemies as light melees will keep your flight path shorter and give you control faster.

4. Teleporters like Slayer and Fury can just teleport and not care about height. Heavy melees work extremely well aswell.

Running shots.
Weapons that can be charged can be shot with while running. These weapons are: Acolyte, Arc pistol, Geth plasma shotgun, Graal, Kishock etc. A running shot will give you more movement and can cause opening and distraction when retreating. Any character can do running shots.

General tips for each race and dodge type.

Regular humans.
The dodges while getting up are kinda groggy, easy to pull off but might get hit a bit. Faster heavy melees can be used easily to get up or start shooting.

Cerberus.
Same rules apply as humans but they can also execute 2 heavy melees to get up reliably and cause dmg around them. You can also animation cancel smash with a dodge or a heavy melee.

Fury/Slayer.
Heavy melee to get up. I didn’t get dodges to work while being downed. You can immediately shoot after a heavy melee.

Old guard Turians.
Use a heavy melee to get up. Best timing is when they first raise their torso. Alternatively you can just immediately heavy melee and either cause dmg or start shooting to get the enemy to back off.

Krogans.
Only way to get up faster is via heavy melee and afterwards you will usually still be groggy. The heavy melee will get you further away from sync killers though and enables you to shoot immediately. The heavy melee itself usually does not connect and cause dmg. The direction the melee goes can also be random unless you rotate the camera.

Drell and Shadow.
Acrobat dodgers can easily direct their death dodges and link all ways of getting up easily. You can easily dodge, heavy melee and then dodge some more or fire your gun. They also have an extremely easy time negating falls.

Volus.
One of the best for negating resurrection stagger. You can easily link the heavy melee and dodges and shooting. Fast speed and extremely fluid dodges ensure easy navigation and control and easy fall negation.

Geth and other sidehoppers.
Same rules as the humans, except geth can easily link heavy melees and dodges. When using sidehoppers the fastest way to get away from an enemy the moment you resurrect is by doing multiple sidehops. Easy to negate fall stagger.

Vorcha.
Best way to get up is via heavy melee. Dodging will usually get you stuck on a wall, the dodge is too mobile and goes one random way to be reliable. The dodge on the other hand is the best for negating fall stagger.

Armiger turians.
They kind of suffer from the same thing as Vorchas. The dodge is just too mobile, lodging you in walls most of the time. The heavy melee on the other hand is excellent for getting up being an aoe aswell increasing survival.
The dodge is also interesting in that you can change weapons extremely fast during a dodge completely skipping any and all gun switch animations.

Asari.
Asari have a good dodge for negating falls, but it’s hard to control when getting up resulting in you either staying in place or going only one way and lodging into a wall. Another better way is to just use a heavy melee to get up. You’ll be vulnerable at the end of the animation but it can clear you some room if you’re surrounded by enemies.

Video supplements to go help with understanding what am talking about.

1:

2:

Update for reckoning.

Ziegrif wrote...

Allright I took a look at the Reckoning characters and devised some stagger negation things.
Hope these help someone.

Milf-bot, Hot Momma-bot, AIU:

Can utilize sideroll dodges to move while in fall stagger. During death stagger 3 dodges will move you away from the enemy and cancel teh stagger. Also unlike other characters she can fire her weapon from death stagger after just 1 dodge. Best dodge to use is the side one for forward and backward rolls do not allow you to move forward or backward from fall stagger, so try and fall sideways. She is the second best stagger negator in the game. First place goes to teh drells.

Repair matrix is best utilized with this technique as it eliminates the AIUs only real weakness after dying with rep matrix on.

Collector General badass adept:

Can cancel fall stagger by dodging twice, almost same as the Armiger turians, but the dodge is more easily controlled and shorter, so in short a better armiger dodge.

Death Stagger is a bit trickier. There are 3 options 2 are borderline suicide.

Option 1: Light melee then dodge twice. This option has no timing in it, unless there's extreme lag, initiate light melee immediately and after it has run it's course hopefully damaging the enemy in the process dodge once or twice.
Pros: Can stagger and damage the enemy.
Cons: You're left open while you melee and supectible to sync kills.

Option 2.: Wait a split second then dodge to teh side or back 3 times.
Pros: Gets you out of sync kill range immediately, best way to escape, extremely long range of escape.
Cons: Can get stuck on walls, generally a bit uncontrollable but not as much as the armigers, requires timing that can be messed up leaving you to buzz in your place.

Suici... err option 3: Initiate ascension mode Via heavy melee.
Pros: Gets you up immediately after the animation. Aoe stagger dmg. No timing.
Cons: No barriers, and defense debuff get ready to kiss the floor again. Enemies can kill you immediately as you are still locked in animation, sync kills are immenent.

Geth I-can-see-my-house-from-here Juggernaut aka juggs.

Pretty straight forward.
Fall stagger negation: Use one light melee.
Death Stagger negation: Spam light melee untill you can heavy melee something to restore shields.

No cons, simple as hell, no timing whatsoever.

Krogan Warlord. Aka MC Hammertime.

Use 1 light melee to break fall stagger. Light melee can be broken extremely easily to a run leaving the warlord with very little fall stagger to begin with.

Death stagger: Use a heavy melee, there's really nothing else you can do. Heavy melee allows you to start shooting immediately but you are still suspectible to sync kills when getting up. Be careful.

[/u][u]Turian cabal

Has no fall stagger if you use teleports to get around. Has the best teleports to get around aswell. Poison strike also gets you through a lot of walls and distance.

Buuut... She has literally zero death stagger negation tactics. I tried to do heavy melees and dodges but none of them worked. Only way I saw was to spam light melee about 6 times and then dodge out of harms way.

In other words, if you're a Turian Cabal, don't die. Especially near sync killers and if you do, try to wait them out so they're further away fro you. If am wrong someone tell em how to negate death stagger on her because it's a very VERY big disadvantage to not be able to negate death stagger.

Here's the supplement to showcase what I mean.

Reckoning supplement musics.

Song 1: Dirt Devil.

Song 2: Bastion. Spike in a Rail.

''You can also break your fall and start disabling an objective or reviving a teammate mid fall essentially breaking fall stagger aswell, very situational but useful. You can also revive teammates from a higher elevation like on top of a ladder. Also possible to disable some objectives through small walls like in Glacier.'' (Tip By: N7 Panda.)

Edited by Ziegrif, 13 November 2013 - 10:46 PM.

Guest_Air Quotes_*

Guest_Air Quotes_*
  • Guests
Been using these little tricks for a long time. Very useful. Would be great if Bioware would allow us to completely cancel the getting up animation by dodging.

N1GHTHeR0

N1GHTHeR0
  • Members
  • 651 posts
Thanks, I didn't know this. Does this apply to consoles as well?

Ziegrif

Ziegrif
  • Members
  • 10,095 posts

N1GHTHeR0 wrote...

You'd have to aska  console player for that. But if dodges and melees work the same way on console as they do on PC then yes they should.

LD_Dragon

LD_Dragon
  • Members
  • 384 posts
Hmm...interesting trick. I'll have to give it a shot.

Computron2000

Computron2000
  • Members
  • 4,983 posts

Air Quotes wrote...

Been using these little tricks for a long time. Very useful. Would be great if Bioware would allow us to completely cancel the getting up animation by dodging.

You can get rid of the animation. Takes 3 dodges on the sidehoppers. 2 or less and you'll still get the getting up animation

Influ

Influ
  • Members
  • 1,760 posts
The dodging can be inconsistent when not hosting. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Ziegrif

Ziegrif
  • Members
  • 10,095 posts

Computron2000 wrote...

Air Quotes wrote...

You can get rid of the animation. Takes 3 dodges on the sidehoppers. 2 or less and you'll still get the getting up animation

Geth Heavy melee + 2 hops also work.

Guest_manbearpig654_*

Guest_manbearpig654_*
  • Guests
Great thread Ziegrif. I think it was actually you who suggested the turian heavy melee to me a while ago and I've been using it ever since.

Guest_Air Quotes_*

Guest_Air Quotes_*
  • Guests

Computron2000 wrote...

Air Quotes wrote...

Yeah I know. But it's still cumbersome. 1 dodge should skip the getting up. 

metaempiricist

metaempiricist
  • Members
  • 630 posts

Ziegrif wrote...

N1GHTHeR0 wrote...

You'd have to aska  console player for that. But if dodges and melees work the same way on console as they do on PC then yes they should.

Yes this does indeed apply to consoles. Thank you Zeigrif I'm sure some newer player will really benifit from this.

Ziegrif

Ziegrif
  • Members
  • 10,095 posts

manbearpig654 wrote...

Great thread Ziegrif. I think it was actually you who suggested the turian heavy melee to me a while ago and I've been using it ever since.

Giant pain to film and edit the supplements though.

Also have seen pretty much all of the veteran players I've seen use these.

Thought that it'd only be right to share if there were newcomers coming to the forums looking to better their game.

Also learned that the Armiger turian jetpack dodge will let you skip weapon switching completely. That dodge is a bit broken imo...

Edited by Ziegrif, 09 February 2013 - 06:29 PM.

Kirrahe Airlines CEO

Kirrahe Airlines CEO
  • Members
  • 4,739 posts
Love the thread dude. Been using the dodge bit for a while now but the linking heavy melees, and shooting to cancel the animation I never thought of using. I'll have to give that a shot on the volus as I have to do about three more games with him to get my outsider banner. Again, excellent thread. :D

Final Marauder

Final Marauder
  • Members
  • 299 posts
Go off a ladder sideways is faster.

Kittstalkur

Kittstalkur
  • Members
  • 1,658 posts
These do work on consoles. I habitually mash a side roll whenever I'm getting up now.

lazysundae

lazysundae
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts
Great thread, I would 5 star if my phone would let me...

Ziegrif

Ziegrif
  • Members
  • 10,095 posts

Final Marauder wrote...

Go off a ladder sideways is faster.

Yeah I know. I even mention it in the thread to do that.
But when you fall you still get a stagger.
Negating said landing stagger is what this thread is about.

Grammaton Dryad

Grammaton Dryad
  • Members
  • 1,126 posts

Air Quotes wrote...

Been using these little tricks for a long time. Very useful..

Agreed. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to share this info with the rest of the community.

stysiaq

stysiaq
  • Members
  • 8,480 posts
Remember mentioning that goddamn Goddess ladder.

You know, the one you MUST climb.

Deerber

Deerber
  • Members
  • 16,822 posts
This is gonna be useful for people.

Ziegrif

Ziegrif
  • Members
  • 10,095 posts

stysiaq wrote...

Remember mentioning that goddamn Goddess ladder.

You know, the one you MUST climb.

Thankfully there's a good old ledge right next to it to the right so getting down it is a bit more bearable.
The broken fence.

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts

Ziegrif wrote...

N1GHTHeR0 wrote...

I just started using some of these tricks a few weeks ago. I learned most of them with my Shadow.

I'm on Xbox, and can confirm everything you said about Shadows, and Volus.

Humans I believe work exactly the same, as well.

More than likely, other than button-mapping, this information is valid across all platforms.

And nice thread! :wizard:

stormrider1012

stormrider1012
  • Members
  • 290 posts
This does work on consoles (ps3 in my case). The difficulty often lies on the "directional awareness" of your character after dodging or doing a heavy melee due to the retarded camera. This is very useful especially when you're clutching a wave and a bunch of sync-kill and stagger units are camping your downed @ss.

FlowCytometry

FlowCytometry
  • Members
  • 2,253 posts
Does canceling the revive into HM cancel out the DR faster? It seems like when I do it sometimes I can get dropped again faster than if I just let the get-up anim complete.

Spec ops is really the best way to ensure an escape after a res. I only tend to dodge on res to avoid SKs, bomb trails, or elbows of doom

Edited by FlowCytometry, 09 February 2013 - 10:01 PM.

Ziegrif

Ziegrif
  • Members
  • 10,095 posts

FlowCytometry wrote...

Does canceling the revive into HM cancel out the DR faster? It seems like when I do it sometimes I can get dropped again faster than if I just let the get-up anim complete.

Spec ops is really the best way to ensure an escape after a res. I only tend to dodge on res to avoid SKs, bomb trails, or elbows of doom

I actually haven't researched that.
But I think the moment you can move normally is the moment any DR stops.
That's why I use dodges all the time to direct myself towards cover.
There's also a possibility of using a heavy melee then dodging a lot... unless you're class with no dodge.

I also use the heavy melee to be able to shoot faster and I haven't, according to my memory, gotten punked out after a heavy melee immediately.