Photo

Talon Engineer Omni-Bow Tips

535 replies to this topic

Eric Fagnan

Eric Fagnan
  • BioWare Employees
  • 561 posts
I thought I would write a quick post with some tips on the Talon Engineer. I think the team underestimated how much of a niche character this guy is, and it isn’t always obvious how to spec him to get a lot of damage out of his omni-bow. Below is a guide for a high-damage omni-bow build.

Overview

The Omni-Bow is considered a melee ability, so it is affected by all melee damage bonuses. If you activate Armor Piercing or Concussive Arrows, you are adding additional power damage to your arrows in addition to the regular melee damage. For a build that maximizes bow damage, the melee portion of your bow damage always exceeds the power portion of your bow damage, so you should maximize melee damage bonuses and then fill with power damage bonuses.

1) Maximize melee damage bonuses

To maximize bow damage, you need to stack as many melee damage bonuses as you can because all of them increase your bow damage.

- Take ranks 4a, 5a, and 6a in your Omni-Bow Mastery passive power.
- Use an Omni-Blade or any other melee mods on your weapon. Due to the way the math works on these mods (they add a multiplicative damage bonus after all other bonuses), they have a massive impact on your melee damage
- Use the Hydraulic Joints or other melee damage bonus gear if you can afford not taking grenade gear
- Use a Strength Enhancer consumable

2) After melee damage, stack power damage

- Take ranks 4b and 5a in your Elite Mercenary passive power to maximize power damage bonuses, which will affect the damage done from additional power damage of Armor Piercing and Concussive Arrows.
- Take a Power Amplifier consumable since there is no melee damage bonus in this category

3) Bow Powers

- The bow damage by itself isn’t huge, but when you activate Armor Piercing Arrows you get 2 shots of this enhanced bow damage, which drastically increases damage done to armor with good damage to all other resistances and health as well.
- Keep activating bow powers as you consume charges to ensure you always have power charges when you fire your bow. The number of charges is displayed as arrows attached to your character’s right shoulder.
- To maximize bow damage, use Armor Piercing Arrows and take all damage evolutions
- Take rank 6a, which adds an extra arrow to your shots. This will increase melee damage as well since you are firing an extra arrow that will have a melee portion and power portion to its damage.

4) Use heavy melee to get all arrows to hit the same target

The bow has 2 firing modes. If you tap the melee button, your arrows fly off in a cone but usually only 1 arrow will hit each target. If you hold the melee button, your arrows will focus in on the center. Once they are at the center you can release the bow to get all the arrows to shoot straight ahead.

5) Locking onto targets

The bow has a lock-on mechanic that uses the same targeting as powers to determine who it will hit. To hit targets, ensure that you have them highlighted (just like you would if you fired a power like Incinerate). Once you have a target highlighted and hold the melee button, your camera will lock on to that target and your arrows should seek to him when you release the bow. Enemies can dodge your arrows just like any other power.

Conclusion

The team is keeping a close eye on the Talon Engineer to make sure he is a viable kit at all difficulty levels. We do have some ideas for changes to make him easier to use, but I encourage you to play around with him and use this guide or come up with a better one :)

Edited by Eric Fagnan, 28 February 2013 - 06:07 PM.

nengbersen

nengbersen
  • Members
  • 107 posts
Thanks for the tips, I want this class to work.

Dracian

Dracian
  • Members
  • 1,606 posts
The problem is not the omni bow, but the fact that it's buggy (reset controls)

Anyway, thanks for the tips

Killahead

Killahead
  • Members
  • 2,444 posts
Nice, I'm sure this will be much appreciated

OneTrueShot

OneTrueShot
  • Members
  • 2,538 posts
I think the problem isn't how 'good' he is, it's his viability in gold. I used that exact same build on Gold along with two other players whom I consider wholly competent, and the only conclusion we could come to for Gold and above is to spec full power damage and use the cain mines whilst using him as a dynamic weapons platform, only using the bow as a debuff instead of an offensive.

USIncorp0

USIncorp0
  • Members
  • 569 posts
Thank you Eric.
You're the best!
<3

TJLenz

TJLenz
  • Members
  • 1,138 posts
Hmm will have to respec him, anyway thanks for the tips.

Megakoresh

Megakoresh
  • Members
  • 610 posts
Fixing the bugs on him so he is actually playable would be nice first and foremost.

Edited by Megakoresh, 28 February 2013 - 06:13 PM.

rosniak

rosniak
  • Members
  • 358 posts

USIncorp0 wrote...

Thank you Eric.
You're the best!
<3

shnig_1

shnig_1
  • Members
  • 763 posts
How do I fix only having 82 points? Do I have to promote?

llandwynwyn

llandwynwyn
  • Members
  • 3,761 posts
I swear edi does more melee dmg without passives than this guy.

Dracian wrote...

This.

oO Stryfe Oo

oO Stryfe Oo
  • Members
  • 4,029 posts
Some pretty helpful tips. I tried him once before deciding I didn't like him. Will try these out.

Edited by oO Stryfe Oo, 28 February 2013 - 06:14 PM.

Bhatair

Bhatair
  • Members
  • 3,749 posts
I'll give this a try, I tried running him melee at first but didn't quite stack all the possible melee bonuses I could. (Grenade gear was probably the biggest factor there).
Seems like in order to really get a good omni bow build going you have to sacrifice either cain mines or one of the arrow powers. Tough choice.

Credit2team

Credit2team
  • Members
  • 5,582 posts

Dracian wrote...

QFT, please fix the keymaping error

3XT3RM1N4TUS

3XT3RM1N4TUS
  • Members
  • 2,443 posts
1) Buff it's damage
2) Remove enemy's ability to dodge arrows
3) Fix the bugs

Edited by 3XT3RM1N4TUS, 28 February 2013 - 06:14 PM.

BjornDaDwarf

BjornDaDwarf
  • Members
  • 3,729 posts
Thanks for the tips Eric. I will try another Omni-Bow build at some point, but for now I'm using the Concussive Arrows for debuff and crowd control. I feel like the regular heavy melee ought to be able to kill an unshielded mook on Gold (Cannibal, Trooper, etc) without having to load a power onto it.

Vertigogo

Vertigogo
  • Members
  • 85 posts

shnig_1 wrote...

How do I fix only having 82 points? Do I have to promote?

I used a reset powers card, and got the full amount.

Theghostof_timmy

Theghostof_timmy
  • Members
  • 1,149 posts
The damage is still subpar on Gold+, even if you spec it like you say. The bugs only make it worse.

JLoco11

JLoco11
  • Members
  • 1,175 posts
While the explanation is appreciated... at some point during his development, did you ever think "If a character needs an explanation on how to use them, maybe this isn't the best idea".

Because not everyone comes to this forum. Most want to use a power and go about their business.

NoReapers

NoReapers
  • Members
  • 729 posts
Good response. Now let's see if it is working like it should.

Edited by Kamiloni, 28 February 2013 - 06:16 PM.

Kaizer88

Kaizer88
  • Members
  • 61 posts
I feel like you're too worried that the Talon merc would be too strong with all consumables since his damage his affected by both power bonuses and melee damage. However as it stands, even with every consumable in place his damage is BARELY acceptable. He really could do with a buff.

AHAHHH

AHAHHH
  • Members
  • 76 posts
I had the problem, that after I release heavy melee button, he continues to aim for abbout half a second or so. Is this intended or was it due to bad lag?

Another problem are his trip mines. Their trigger could be better. I even saw enemys walking through them without triggering it. I was off-host, so maybe another lag problem, but the game itself felt not that laggy.

justinblac

justinblac
  • Members
  • 266 posts

Megakoresh wrote...

Fixing the bugs on him so he is actually playable would be nice first and foremost.

True.  I had seven Cain mines that appeared to be active at the same time and the enemies kept walking through and around them.  I know through is not right, but are the enemies supposed to be able to walk around the mines? Also, I had one stuck to a wall near the floor at the bottom of the ramp in glacier but nothing ever set it off.  It stayed there from wave 1 on.

SterlingPhoenix

SterlingPhoenix
  • Members
  • 1,544 posts
Any word on why armour piercing arrows don't go through a guardian's shields? Is that intended? That was really the only thing that bugged (no pun intended) me about the character.

Tankcommander

Tankcommander
  • Members
  • 1,268 posts
I think AP arrows are buggy - if not, they do so little damage that I can't justify speccing into them. Concussive, in a rare turn of events, are the much better option, so 6/6/0/6/6 it.