Photo

Retaliation Glitch Fix - X360

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

GriM_AoD

GriM_AoD
  • Members
  • 4,692 posts
Thanks to Saints944 for informing me of this.

Just in case you weren't aware:

The Retaliation glitch is when the game freezes or is forever stuck 'Checking DLC', depending wether or not you connect to the EA servers automatically.
The Retaliation DLC seems to be the cause of this as when it's removed - everything is fine. But this is no good as you won't get any games.
From what I've seen of others / been told, the glitch eventually fixes itself - but I was locked out for at least two weeks .
(was going to come back from a period of barely touching the game - so this glitch may have een up for a bit longer, I don't know)

This simple method should allow you to play the game.

• Move/Download the Retaliation DLC onto a USB drive. .
  • Start the game, (Do not have it plugged in when you start the game) let it do it's thing, it should no longer freeze/get stuck 'checking dlc',
  • Now plug the device with Retaliation.
  • Give it a moment and it'll check dlc again, and all should be gravy.
  • Go play the game.

Important Note: 
Remember, accepting an invite when inside MP will take you back to the main menu and back in again.
But this will cause it to freeze again until the glitch magics itself away.
So if you want to accept an invite, remove the USB with Retaliation on and go back to the main menu, and repeat the process before accepting the invite.

I've also seen mentions of another fix, which is moving deleting some/all SP saves as one or more may be corrupt.
This was not the case for me, so I cannot confirm or deny it.

Edited by GriM_AoD, 04 May 2013 - 11:41 AM.

DS Monkfish

DS Monkfish
  • Members
  • 1,037 posts
I haven't experienced this glitch (so far, fingers crossed), but this is good info to have. Thanks for sharing.

IUsedToDieAtWaveOne

IUsedToDieAtWaveOne
  • Members
  • 2,078 posts
Does this mean you're gonna carry me now?

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts
 Glad to hear you're back around. PuGing has been too much work. Let me just... climb into your backpack... and get comfortable...

Posted Image

I just have to shove Dora out of the way...

Guest_Ghostknife72_*

Guest_Ghostknife72_*
  • Guests
Ummm...Grim_AoD no swiping? :-)

Shrakelle

Shrakelle
  • Members
  • 737 posts
Oh, so that's what happened, and there I was on the phone with EA and then thinking that it was them who fixed the issue.

Katzblager

Katzblager
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Jeremiah12LGeek wrote...

Glad to hear you're back around. PuGing has been too much work. Let me just... climb into your backpack... and get comfortable...

Posted Image

I just have to shove Dora out of the way...

Be careful. It's a limited edition.

GriM_AoD

GriM_AoD
  • Members
  • 4,692 posts
Hopefully you wont need it Monfish.

Since when did I carry people?

Your avi combined with the no swiping comment can easily be seen as a referee xD

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,011 posts
As a random FYI, I will be adding this to the Resource Library. Just... in the morning, when I am less drunk than I am now. I wouldn't dare attempt to edit my first post for fear of destroying everything with drunken stupidity.

Love you. Also, yes, we still need to get some games in. Will happen in time, I am sure. All things happen in time, given their due course.

GriM_AoD

GriM_AoD
  • Members
  • 4,692 posts

DragonRacer wrote...

As a random FYI, I will be adding this to the Resource Library. Just... in the morning, when I am less drunk than I am now. I wouldn't dare attempt to edit my first post for fear of destroying everything with drunken stupidity.

Love you. Also, yes, we still need to get some games in. Will happen in time, I am sure. All things happen in time, given their due course.

Yes, editting can be awfully fiddly, would be best to have a clear mind xP

Looking forward to it ;)

Edited by GriM_AoD, 05 May 2013 - 12:06 AM.

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts
Regarding the fix, Grim, has anyone sorted out what is changing when the problem corrects itself, or is it one of those things that just seems to happen spontaneously?

GriM_AoD

GriM_AoD
  • Members
  • 4,692 posts
As far as I'm aware, nobody knows what changes if anything

Will probably check if it's magically fixed itself one, maybe two, times a week and will look to see if I notice some sort of trigger that fixes it

At least I can play the game now... and I sit within arms reach of my xbox, so messing with the USB isn't much hassle xP

Saints

Saints
  • Members
  • 4,818 posts
Usb has to be more then 2gb to work and You should put all the DLC in it just to be safe.

Qui-Gon Glenn

Qui-Gon Glenn
  • Members
  • 2,108 posts
Wow, glad I got linked here through AnswerHQ; surprising that I found something pertinent.

I am crashing consistently after the DLC check now, and this is the second time it has come up. My solution (which works OK) was yanking the Ethernet cable to get the game to start and then plug backin and load up. Several extra stupid steps involved with that though; this is more elegant.

Just a little FYI to any Bioware Dev who peruses this thread (unlikely): EA tech support immediately assumes that it is a problem in your coding, and not their unbelievably bad POS client. I can see the future:

In 20 years, there will be this new EA gaming client; it will be called Bioware.
You think I am kidding? Origin used to be legendary -- Ultima sound familiar at all?

palmof40sorrows

palmof40sorrows
  • Members
  • 2,583 posts
:lol:

DragonRacer wrote...

DrunkEffect 3 MP is THE BEST!

Edited by palmof40sorrows, 25 May 2013 - 12:11 AM.

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts
Okay, so I successfully resolved the Retaliation Glitch by deleting all DLC (SP and MP) from the game. I waited a few days, because I had reached my data limit (which may have been part of why it worked, I don't really know.) When I re-downloaded everything, the game started normally.

Edited by Jeremiah12LGeek, 01 June 2013 - 02:38 PM.

Shampoohorn

Shampoohorn
  • Members
  • 5,861 posts
Thanks for this thread. This issue started on my pc this week for the first time ever. Ill give the trick a try later. :*/

bondiboy

bondiboy
  • Members
  • 2,815 posts
Thanks . Better than my current work around

IUsedToDieAtWaveOne

IUsedToDieAtWaveOne
  • Members
  • 2,078 posts

GriM_AoD wrote...

Since when did I carry people?

When did we start playing together regularly?

Daxamite

Daxamite
  • Members
  • 2,491 posts
I finally figured out why I couldn't play (no thanks to Microsoft or e a games ) by deleting dlc. Realised it was retaliation causing all my problems.
Then I found this thread

Thanks saint and grim for this, now I can play :D

Can someone clarify exactly the steps to take and when to do them if someone invites me to their lobby . couldn't get it to work, ended up having to have them set lobby to platinum collector condor and search for that public game

Edited by PhoenixUK, 15 December 2013 - 02:06 AM.

GriM_AoD

GriM_AoD
  • Members
  • 4,692 posts
It's just because accepting an invite takes you back to the main menu, where it checks the dlc again (and will freeze up). So if you are in the multiplayer menu/a game...
Remove the USB and exit tot the main menu, it wont find any dlc and connect to the servers,
Plug back in your USB and it will check dlc again and everything should be fine.
Then you can accept the invite,

Daxamite

Daxamite
  • Members
  • 2,491 posts
So if I'm already on the menu screen when I accept the invite , it shouldn't need to recheck the menu again, right ? Cool, thanks guys !

mybudgee

mybudgee
  • Members
  • 23,036 posts
What is with all the reverting to title screen crap anyway!?!

CEBK

CEBK
  • Members
  • 204 posts
Sorry for the necro, but it seems relevant as it looks like this happened to me today. Does it eventually resolve or am I stuck with the USB solution from now on?

edit : I guess my question is how do you tell if it's resolved? Just test it out now and again?

Edited by CEBK, 12 February 2014 - 11:52 PM.

Kalas747

Kalas747
  • Members
  • 1,690 posts
lol... ecks bawks