Photo

Human Sentinel: Biotic Explosion-Based Build Guide (An Alternative to TGI or Juggernaut for Moving up to Gold/Platinum)

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts

There is an accompanying video, where I discuss the strategy, tactics, and effectiveness of the build, while using it in a game:

Human Sentinel: Biotic Explosion Build

It is the first version, and I may update it. It is meant to supplement the Build Guide discussed below.

Sorry, traditional links aren't working for me, for some reason. Here is the build and a sample loudout:
http://narida.pytalh...mmandoPackage5/

I am hoping to introduce the idea of a Human Sentinel as an excellent choice for making the jump to Gold or Platinum, an alternative to the TGI or the Juggernaut.

Quick Thanks to SilentStep and GrimAoD for looking over the first draft before I posted it, to Ghostknife for the Narida suggestion/link, and to Mobius Y and Suicide Nader for playing the game I recorded for the guide.  :wizard:

OK, so, I do well with the Human Sentinel, and it tends to be my highest-scoring kit. Score only means so much, but day in, day out, my Human Sentinel Build is a high-performance kit, for me.

I've played a little with the build since I narrowed in on it, but for the most part, the principles are the same as when I first started using it this way.
I'm doing this is because I haven't noticed this particular build in any guides, but if it has already been covered by someone, my apologies to that person.

I hope to introduce the idea of the Human Sentinel as an excellent gateway kit for players moving to Gold or Platinum. It will allow for excellent survivability. Obviously it is not a tank in the conventional sense, but its combination of Tech Armour and a Roll-Dodge makes it very tough.

I'm not sure if here is a consistent format for build suggestions, but I'll start with the philosphy:

CONCEPT

They way I use the HSent is built around Biotic explosions, and Power-based damage. I've played around with different weapons, and I find that the Hurricane/Acolyte combo has the best damage output and ease of use.

It's a great build for working around your manifest. As with any power-based build, the weapon's role becomes subservient to power damage, which is why the Acolyte's weight, shield-stripping, stagger, and ammo application abilites are perfect for this build (and many others.)

Players with newer manifests that do not have an Acolyte will find that many weapons will function well. My first time playing it was using an Avenger, and I was very successful with it. I used this build to help make the jump to Platinum. It's very easy to use.

RANKS & EVOLUTIONS

Throw: 6
Radius, Detonate, Force & Damage

Warp: 6
Detonate, Expose, Recharge Speed

Tech Armour: 6
Durability, Power Damage, Power Recharge

Alliance Training: 5 (6 is an excellent option, as you develop better survival skills.)
Dmg & Capacity, Power Damage

Fitness: 3 (0 is an excellent option, as you develop better survival skills.)

BUILD AND LOADOUT EXPLANATION

Warp Ammo and Incendiary are both excellent choices.

The build focuses on fast cooldowns, with high power damage. It has tools for dealing with all enemy types (re: Phantoms - players without an Acolyte may have to use more traditional techniques, putting up the Phantom's bubble, then using a weapon. BE's will work on Phantoms, as the bubble does not always cancel the Warp's prime, but watch carefully to make sure you time it right. Causing a BE on a target adjacent to the Phantom works well, too.)

The radius evo on Throw is wonderful, and I feel it serves two purposes: it makes killing ushielded mooks extremely fast and easy (under some circumstances, you can kill three at once, with a really short cooldown,) and it makes setting off Biotic Explosions easier, by allowing you to hit anyone next to your target.

The BE bonuses in Throw and Warp are important for this build, because the "big ticket" damage will come from those explosions against bosses (generally takes out any small targets near the boss) and from crowd control. Successfully detonating a group of mooks can create a Killstreak with the damage and radius of an HSent BE.
You rely on the damage from your powers more than your gun. If you have the following weapons/mods available, here is the loadout that makes this build shine:

Acolyte: Either damage barrel, and any of clip size, melee stunner, or Power Amp. I currently run the melee stunner.
Hurricane: AP mod, ULM

Good alternatives to the Acolyte: Eagle, Phalanx for CD and ammo application, Carnifex/Suppressor for players who can manage headshots, though you will sacrifice cooldown.

Replace the Hurricane with your most comfortable SMG. The sidearm is not strictly necessary, since the Acolyte mixed in with Biotics and BEs will do plenty of damage to armoured bosses, which is really the only purpose of an AP ULM SMG, under the circumstances. But if you have ULM V, you're adding 1-2% to your weapon refresh, approximately, which is nothing, really, in exchange for an insurance policy. Plus, if you need to really amp up damage, you have the option of using a bunch of Thermal Clips to boost weapon damage.

The basic tricks of the trade:

Small Groups of Unshielded Mooks
Acolyte, throw. Or, just throw, depending on what amps you've brought with you. Tougher mooks, like Collector Troopers, will need at least one shot from a weapon for Throw to finish them, but the Acolyte makes that very easy (once you get the hang of using one.)

Alternate: You can use any gun to prime a target with Ammo. If you use Indendiary Ammo, as soon as the target is primed, use Throw, and the Fire Explosion will take care of the rest.

Small Groups of Mooks (Some Shielded.)
This changes if you're not using an Acolyte.
Acolyte users use the same technique as for unshielded mooks, except the Acolyte shot becomes necessary, instead of optional, to clear the shields. This is almost always as fast as killing unshielded mooks, which goes to show just how powerful the Human Sentinel's Throw - and the Acolyte - actually are. Non-Acolyte users can take a slower, but ultimately more devastating approach. If you have excellent aim, a Suppressor or Carnifex head-shot can clear shields, but the process will not usually be as fast or as effective as using the Acolyte, so you're probably better off using the technique for Mixed Groups, below.

Mixed Groups (Non-Boss)
Throwing Pyros, Dragoons/Phantoms, or Ravagers into the mix makes the Biotic Explosion approach the fastest one to take, with this build. And, this is where the build really starts to shine, too. The Acolyte makes this process barely any longer than the refresh time of Warp, and the travel time of Throw.

Other pistols/weapons will require careful priming of your "Target."
Pick a "Target." It is best to choose the toughest enemy, with the most total armour/shields. In a perfect world, convince your teammates not to shoot that target. Good luck with that, I never manage to do that second part...

Prime the target with your weapon. Follow up immediately with Warp. If you miss, it becomes a judgment call. If the group is still fairly close together, it can be worth firing off another Warp to hit the target. You can use Throw to stagger the group temporarily, in the hopes of setting up a second try, as well.

Assuming you hit your target, use your gun to keep the group together, by staggering people, if you can (Warp's cooldown with 200% refresh is pretty quick.) The Acolyte can easily fire off another shot in this cooldown, which is the most effective way to stagger everyone (and is also why I prefer Warp Ammo to Incendiary, since the Tech Prime can overwrite the Biotic Prime.)

Follow up with Throw on any enemy adjacent to the "Target," or the "Target" themselves. The resulting Biotic Explosion will devastate the group. 
As far as I know, this build has one of the most powerful BEs in the game

!
A second throw will finish off most enemies, but some situations may call for a second BE against armoured targets. Gold Brutes require 2 HSent BEs with this build to kill. Scions can require more than two. The beauty of the BE is that any targets near the Brute/Scion will be destroyed, or severely damaged, as well.

Bosses, Sub-Bosses (Groups or Otherwise.)
The Biotic Explosion will get the job done, but if you have a decent Hurricane, Hornet, BPP, etc. you can use that to speed the process, considerably. Alternate Warp and your weapon. If even one target is near the Boss, alternate Throw for the BE. If the boss is alone, a good SMG with just Warp is probably fastest, but I don't know the math, so I might be wrong (Indendiary ammo will make Warp/SMG the fastest, that I know for sure.) If you're using the Hurricane, remember to counteract the barrel-climb, since the ULM and AP mods don't leave room for the recoil mod.
Alternating the Acolyte with BEs, while slower, will still take down a Boss in quite a reasonable amount of time.
If you are fighting a Banshee or a Praetorian, and they put up their power-denial bubble, switch to your sidearm (If using the Acolyte, wait until you've stripped the Shields before switching) because you can no longer make effective use of your powers. Kite, or rely on your teammates. As soon as powers can take effect again, unload with them.

FINAL THOUGHTS

This build is Gold and Platinum-Viable with a much weaker manifest than most kits. Even an Acolyte at level I will allow you to be very effective, regardless of whether you even have a sidearm. You will need appropriate mods and equipment to make the build really shine, but it still works without them. To test that theory, I used an Eagle I on my PSN account, and leveled my Human Sentinel in Gold using only a clip and Barrel mod (I didn't even have a Power Amp on that manifest.) I found the kit worked almost as well as it does with my XBL manifest.

The build is very easy to use. This is very much a "Crutch" kit for me. I believe a lot of people who skipped over the Vanilla Kits in favour of the more exotic ones will likely find this to be surprisingly true. Even with a fairly basic strategy, the HSent can be devastating, just alternating Warp or Incendiary with a basic 2-power setup.
Warp makes it easy to fight lone armoured units, like Dragoons, and Throw can stagger an Atlas, so the kit has the ability to deal with a wide variety of situations, using only a small handful of tools. I personally love it.

Historically, I've had a lot of my most consistent PuGing success with this build, and I'm not a "top-the-scoreboard-every-Gold-Game" kind of guy.

Edited by Jeremiah12LGeek, 18 October 2014 - 05:52 PM.

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts
Ugh. Trying to clear up some copy/paste formatting issues, I apologize for the mess as I sort through it.

NuclearTech76

NuclearTech76
  • Members
  • 16,229 posts
One of the few kits that is more effective on Platinum than Gold.

cormacn

cormacn
  • Members
  • 77 posts

NuclearTech76 wrote...

How so? As a HSent aficionado, this is relevant to my interests if I ever attempt the jump to Plat :wizard:

cato potato

cato potato
  • Members
  • 3,927 posts
Sentinel is probably the base human kit I've used the least overall but it's a good write up, I'll give the build a shot later.

Also, inb4someonerantsaboutnopierceevoonwarp

Edited by cato_84, 20 May 2013 - 03:25 PM.

donasdogamma

donasdogamma
  • Members
  • 409 posts
Good detailed guide and I think it is the first one I've seen for the Hsent. The only thing is for warp I think the pierce evolution is to good to pass up, especially for platinum. I was just curious have you tried pierce and just find that recharge speed is better for your playstyle?

edit - lol ninja'd by post above

Edited by donasdogamma, 20 May 2013 - 03:31 PM.

Striker93175

Striker93175
  • Members
  • 2,096 posts
+1 I approve. VanillaSent is prolly my fav all around kit.

As an alternate to this I suggest 6/6/6/0/6 as a build.

TA - dmg reduction, force+dmg, dmg reduction
Warp - detonate, expose, pierce
Throw - radius, detonate, force+dmg
Passives - zip, passives do not affect BE only ranks in primer/detonator (and you get a bump from the TA anyway)
Fitness - duribility, shield recharge, fitness expert.

Weapon - Talon
Gear optional - I use stronghold, shield power cells or cyclonic, pistol amp
Highly reccomend - incin ammo

With TA strong hold and cyclonic/power cells you are a tanky adept. Add in battle roll you can get in the enemies face and watch them explode.

Talon is a power sprayer, 1 shot and the enemy is primed for a FE.

If mook, throw... FE and done... 1-2 punch kills on gold every time. Anything larger... Shoot and warp, FE, shoot and throw, BE. Shoot 2 more times and they are now taking warp/incin dmg ticks on top of it all. Beastly kit.

Setup and detonates both tech and biotics. Warp debuffs for all.

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts

donasdogamma wrote...

Good detailed guide and I think it is the first one I've seen for the Hsent. The only thing is for warp I think the pierce evolution is to good to pass up, especially for platinum. I was just curious have you tried pierce and just find that recharge speed is better for your playstyle?

@Cato, too:P

Yes, in the hands of an expert player using a powerful weapon, I am absolutely confident Pierce is the better choice. :happy:

This build specifically bypasses manifest/gun skill.

So, for someone who only has common/uncommon weapons, or lacks the accuracy to make good use of moderate weight-weapons, the recharge speed bonus improves the Build's damage output by increasing the pace at which Biotic Explosions can be completed.

It is a bit of a vestige of when I was using the kit with an Avenger. As I, personally, move forward, I will likely change it to Pierce, especially if working with a good team on Platinum. But for a player just making the jump to Gold/Platinum, I suspect they will find, as I did, that faster refresh on their powers is more helpful than gun damage. :)

Edited by Jeremiah12LGeek, 20 May 2013 - 03:49 PM.

Miniditka77

Miniditka77
  • Members
  • 4,489 posts
Ah, the Human Sentinel.... my original "favorite" class.  This was the class that I took from Bronze to Silver way back in the day.  I used to use it with a scoped Talon or Carnifex.  I always used 6/6/6/4/4 - passing on Fitness points with a class with essentially a multiplicative fitness bonus (Tech Armor) seemed kind of counterintuitive to me.  But the playstyle was essentially the same as the OP is showing, just without the benefit of the Acolyte for shield stripping.  Honestly, the scoped Talon works just about as well for shield stripping on mooks, since you can usually get a pretty decent % of the pellets to hit the head, even at longer ranges. 

I have tried a lot of other builds, like a heavy weapon build based on Warp debuffing, a tech explosion-based build, using ammo powers as the primer, etc.  I still think the BE build is the best for the HS though.

Dr. Tim Whatley

Dr. Tim Whatley
  • Members
  • 7,543 posts
Is this an appropriate time to bring up the AA? j/k

I'll watch the vid when I get home.

Edit - I'm more of a fan of Pierce over recharge speed on warp, but I guess it depends on your CD percentage.

Edited by b00g13man, 20 May 2013 - 03:59 PM.

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts

Striker93175 wrote...

Passives - zip, passives do not affect BE only ranks in primer/detonator (and you get a bump from the TA anyway)

Weapon - Talon

With TA strong hold and cyclonic/power cells you are a tanky adept. Add in battle roll you can get in the enemies face and watch them explode.

If mook, throw... FE and done... 1-2 punch kills on gold every time. Anything larger... Shoot and warp, FE, shoot and throw, BE. Shoot 2 more times and they are now taking warp/incin dmg ticks on top of it all. Beastly kit.

Your Build Suggestion is the direction that I, personally should be moving. I've unlocked all UR weapons (except PPR) and have most of them at a decent level. My Talon is at V, I think.

For this Build's strength (bypassing manifest issues) the damage bonus makes Throw very versatile, allowing it to do the bulk of your offensive damage, while still serving the same BE purpose, when combined with Warp.

I'm going to try your Build the next time I respec the Kit! :wizard:

cato potato

cato potato
  • Members
  • 3,927 posts

cormacn wrote...

NuclearTech76 wrote...

How so? As a HSent aficionado, this is relevant to my interests if I ever attempt the jump to Plat :wizard:

I'd imagine NT means that biotic explosions scale with difficulty, whereas weapons obviously don't. Also, on Platinum there are less enemies capable of dodging projectile powers which is helpful.

Loscakes

Loscakes
  • Members
  • 167 posts

Jeremiah12LGeek wrote...

donasdogamma wrote...

Yes, in the hands of an expert player using a powerful weapon, I am absolutely confident Pierce is the better choice. :happy:

So, for someone who only has common/uncommon weapons, or lacks the accuracy to make good use of moderate weight-weapons, the recharge speed bonus improves the Build's damage output by increasing the pace at which Biotic Explosions can be completed.

It is a bit of a vestige of when I was using the kit with an Avenger. As I, personally, move forward, I will likely change it to Pierce, especially if working with a good team on Platinum. But for a player just making the jump to Gold/Platinum, I suspect they will find, as I did, that faster refresh on their powers is more helpful than gun damage. :)

Did you.....did you just make a well reasoned argument for recharge speed over pierce?

That's too much for me.  I need to go to sleep.

donasdogamma

donasdogamma
  • Members
  • 409 posts

Jeremiah12LGeek wrote...

donasdogamma wrote...

Ok that makes sense. I put the build on narida but with an acolyte X abd hurricane X and it only took .2 seconds off of warp. But with heavier low level common weapons it would make a bigger difference.

Dr. Tim Whatley

Dr. Tim Whatley
  • Members
  • 7,543 posts

cormacn wrote...

NuclearTech76 wrote...

There are a lot more armored targets, and a lot less dodging. Same thing applies to the AA.

FateNeverEnds

FateNeverEnds
  • Members
  • 2,065 posts
A bit too late to the party, but just started messing up with this kit a couple weeks ago. Not my top tier but soooo fun to play. All of my love to her.

Although I had been wondering how to get the most of it, I think I was still far from this build/gameplay, so I thank you for the tips. I had been running her with Inc ammo for Warp Cheese on armor, but now that I read this I will be putting to good use the stockpile of Warp ammo IV I have.

Striker93175

Striker93175
  • Members
  • 2,096 posts

Jeremiah12LGeek wrote...

Striker93175 wrote...

Weapon - Talon

Your Build Suggestion is the direction that I, personally should be moving. I've unlocked all UR weapons (except PPR) and have most of them at a decent level. My Talon is at V, I think.

For this Build's strength (bypassing manifest issues) the damage bonus makes Throw very versatile, allowing it to do the bulk of your offensive damage, while still serving the same BE purpose, when combined with Warp.

I'm going to try your Build the next time I respec the Kit! :wizard:

Good luck!  I think you'll find it alot of fun, just as many FEs as BEs - enough explosions to make Michael Bay happy.  And yes, throw is a bulk of it...  Phantom?  Throw.  Up comes bubble... shoot her in the face a couple times and if you have your timing right she'll hop away and cloak just as the next throw connects.. FE!  Seeker swarms?  Shoot/throw.  What seeker swarm?  Possessed praetorian?  Smack w/ warp, fire all those talon shots n run till the bubble drops, let warp/inncin tick away a sec or two (its great dmg lol), throw throw... FE/BE.  Once your good w/ that battle roll too... I'll run up to a banshee get its attention...  dodging warp balls like a pro! 

Have a paladin?  how about a flamer... SPAM that throw...  just like having someone with OL.  Maraduer or pyro about to show a friend their boot...  throw smacks em away.

Not too many kits I truthfully dont care if collectors come up, geth comes up, cerb comes up, reapers come up...  whatever I'm game.   HSent is one of em and imho overlooked alot -- you just dont see many anymore. :)

Edited by Striker93175, 20 May 2013 - 04:11 PM.

cormacn

cormacn
  • Members
  • 77 posts

cato_84 wrote...

I'd imagine NT means that biotic explosions scale with difficulty, whereas weapons obviously don't. Also, on Platinum there are less enemies capable of dodging projectile powers which is helpful.

b00g13man wrote...

There are a lot more armored targets, and a lot less dodging. Same thing applies to the AA.

I see, thanks folks :)

NuclearTech76

NuclearTech76
  • Members
  • 16,229 posts

b00g13man wrote...

cormacn wrote...

NuclearTech76 wrote...

Yep. Any projectile powers kit, the sentinel with tech armor has a little longer  CD and doesn't have the benefit of stasis so even moreso for him. All of that said, you can get around the dodging crap on Gold if your timing is right and you have a weapon that can stagger.

Edited by NuclearTech76, 20 May 2013 - 04:14 PM.

SilentStep79

SilentStep79
  • Members
  • 3,701 posts
well done Jeremiah.

Slojack

Slojack
  • Members
  • 2,338 posts
Im almost ashamed to say Ive just "discovered" this character.

Edited by Slojack, 20 May 2013 - 04:25 PM.

Striker93175

Striker93175
  • Members
  • 2,096 posts

b00g13man wrote...

cormacn wrote...

NuclearTech76 wrote...

Good call... dodging.  I find if the enemy is in cover, it almost always hits no dodge.  If you shoot first, alot of the time they will dodge weapon fire, leaving them open to the power.  Also I tend to throw my powers upwards so it arcs downwards --- I find it hits more often than not even if they dodge.  Why I suggest radius evo on throw -- even with a enemy dodge throw hits the ground and radius usually sets off the bioboom even on a miss.

sobit

sobit
  • Members
  • 1,066 posts
The HS was actually my gateway to gold. love this kit.

stysiaq

stysiaq
  • Members
  • 8,480 posts
I run my Human Male Sentinel with 6/6/6/5/3 and Talon or Wraith.

As I like maxing out Biotic challenges, I use him primarily to max out Throw; my playstyle is based on Throw stagger + headshots (they are easy when the enemy is staggered, with Wraith or Talon they even aren't all that important) with occasional Warp + Throw combos on bosses and other armored targets (Dragoons/Bombers/Pyros/sub bosses).

It's really a very fun kit to play, it looks awesome (I like Reckon Hood + Tech Armor) and the melee build isn't terrible.

A definitely good pick if you are lacking a bunch of classes and focus on maxing your rare weapons first.

stysiaq

stysiaq
  • Members
  • 8,480 posts
Oh, and my Female runs no passives + melee. Fun times.