Photo

How to use The Raider (aka The Supreme Overlord)

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

DHKany

DHKany
  • Members
  • 8,023 posts
Admittedly I don't use the Raider as much as I confess to loving it around here, but I have a fairly firm grasp on how to use it effectively.
Seeing as how I can't earn credits as of right now, I thought that I might as well make a guide for my favorite shotgun so I hope you enjoy Posted Image

Posted Image

BASK IN HIS GLORY
ahem...

Well before we get into the nitty gritty on how to use it to its maximum potential, we should get the stats of the gun down (Courtesy of Cyonan's stat sheet)

All stats are assuming you have the gun at X
Weight: 1.4
Rate of Fire: 200
Damage per Pellet: 125.0
Damage per Shot (assuming all shots hit): 1000
Clip Size: 2
Mad Deeps: 3333.33
Accuracy: Bad, don't bother with it 
Spread: See Image below (courtesy of dunvi)
http://img.photobuck...e7.png~original

As the above stats show the Raider has EXTREME dps potential, being the second highest in terms of raw dps in the game (second to the Reegar). One should always keep its damage potential in mind when wielding it as it can and will clear a path if necessary if your aim is true. BUT its dps is only as strong as the amount of pellets that hit.

The terrible accuracy of the weapon is only amplified by its horrendous recoil which will further cut back on the maximum potential dps (unless you're point blanc against an Atlas), so don't be expect to be slaying phantoms from across the map (unless marksman is involved ofc.) 

WEAPON MODS:

Wombo Combo #1:
Smart Choke + Heavy Barrel are standard affair for most shotguns and the raider is no exception. Due to the Smart Choke cutting the spread by 50% the Raider gains a HUGE benefit from it, more than any other shotgun if I'm not mistaken. Heavy Barrel is also great on it as it does not add any additional weight to the gun.

Wombo Combo #2: Smart Choke + Omniblade if running a melee build is ideal. The Omni-Blade, like the heavy barrel won't add extra weight to the gun. Be wary of the using the Heavy Barrel and the Omni Blade though as it will unbug the weight (not entirely sure on this part, please feel free to correct me).

Most of the other mods are pointless or outclassed. ULM has minimal benfit on it, Spare ammo isn't needed as 40 rounds spare at X are more than enough, Shredder and Damage Barrel are combined into the Heavy barrel which doesn't add weight, Shotgun blade is outclassed by the cooler looking Omni-Blade.

Exception Combo #1 (courtesy of capn233): Standard Damage Barrel+Smart Choke if you're using AP and Drill ammo as explained by him:

capn233 wrote...

You should run the High Caliber Barrel if you plan to run AP or Drill ammo instead of the High Velocity Barrel.

It is because it will use the cover penetration damage penalty from the HVB. WIth HCB and AP or Drill, you will have full damage through cover, so you get a little more bang against hiding units and from multiple hits on something like an Atlas.

Strategy:
Biggest problem of the gun after smart choke takes care of accuracy is the recoil which can only be mitigated by yourself. So practice, practice practice. As much as the DPS numbers make it seem OP as hell, the Raider is a weapon that requires moderate amounts of skill (Annopls and Ronnie, don't bring Unreal or that crapshoot game known as UMVC3 in here) to wield effectively.  It also helps to hipfire exclusively as ADS is horrendous and will probably make you miss more shots than necessary. Remember that if you miss your first two shots you always have a quick RC with ample spare ammo to back you up.

Using the gun off host also allows for lulzy moments which actually make the gun even better than it already is.

Courtesy of Lord_Sirian

CLASSES:
The Raider can be used on every class, but just because it can doesn't mean it should. It is best used on CQC character, Accuracy Boosting Classes and Weapons platforms.

This fits the bill for most Sentinels, Soldiers, Infiltrators, Vanguards and some Adepts.

Engineers can work but they are better of with Assault Rifles and longer range weapons.

Some of my Personal Favorites are:

GI

Preferably used with AP ammo, even though any Ammo type works well. Use him as an EXTREME burst dps weapons platform. Fares better against bosses than mooks even though it still works well on them.  This is quite literally the Ultimate Hit and run character and treat him like it.

Turian Soldier

Marksman essentially turns the Raider into a pseudo Sniper rifle to hilarious effect. Pop heads from long ranges and enjoy the splatter (best used against cerberus obv). Throw in a proximity mine every now and then but not too requently as you don't want to caught off guard with marksman down as it will most likely result in your death.

Asari Valkyrie

This is one of the more interesting and fun ways to play with the Raider IMO. Using Warp Ammo with the double Debuff makes quick work of bosses and mooks alike thanks to the panic effect of annihilation field. She is also a hit and run character but a much more complex one. Incendiary ammo also works excellently on her for obvious reasons.

Krogan Soldier

Yeah, strange build I know but I like him this way. Add in Incendiary ammo or AP ammo and you're set. Basic Strategem is 
1. Find Spawn
2. Chuck Inferno Nade
3. Shoot Raider
4.Carnage Spawn (FE)
5. Chuck Another Nade
6.Shoot More Raider (If the spawn is still alive) 

Drell Infiltrator

Solid Raider Platform. Place Recon Mine at spawns so you can Annihilate them with the Raider. Whatever excapes his wrath finish off with a swift detonation. Homing Grenades supplement Raider spam nicely as the Armor Debuff and Fire Effect are handy tools to have. Treat him like the GI, mobility being his source of survivability compared to the GI's high base shields. His dodge and innate movement speed bonus with the fitness tree also give a much more 'hit and run' -esque feel, having the ability to flip back forth from gunfights.

Drell Infiltrator (Mobius' version)

MofuggerX wrote....

Playstyle
I try to Cloak and plant a preemptive Recon Mine predicting a spawn, or predicting enemies to move into it since the radius isn't upgraded.  When attacking mooks, I'll cloak and shoot twice, reload cancel and shoot twice again.  Second cloak cycle I detonate Recon Mine then use the next two shots to clean up.  Big armour gets a Homing Grenade after the first two shots, which will also set off a Fire Explosion.  Detonating Recon Mine on big armour that I've already shot will create another Fire Explosion.  I always grab pizza.

Other Options
M-300 Claymore (Smart Choke, High Velocity Barrel), M-11 Wraith (Smart Choke, High Velocity Barrel), N7 Piranha (Smart Choke, High Velocity Barrel), Venom Shotgun (Spare Thermal Clip, High Caliber Barrel)

N7 Destroyer

Serker31 wrote...

More difficult to use than same build with Piranha, but it is equally wrecking with right aptitude. Slap Incendiary ammo for extra pain and warm background of fire explosions.

Battlefield 3 Soldier

Inconsistent Seas wrote...

Yes, a BF3 soldier build. The raider is obviously a great choice on the vanilla soldiers, yes, but the BF3 soldier offers shotgun to face with plentiful FEs on your beck and call.

Incendiary ammo is your go to choice here and needed to get the most out of priming your FEs.

There's a rhythm to his great destruction. Fire your raider, reload cancel with carnage(boom, FE #1), grenade(boom, FE #2), fire raider again, adrenaline rush, fire raider again, carnage(thanks to bonus power) and grenade. Et cetera. 

Went with the extra grenades for more FEs as needed and chose shield overload since that will cover one of his main issues; dealing with shields. The extra armor damage isn't needed since your plentiful FEs melt everything else. 
Raider with AR is amazing as we know, this offers some great fun and crowd control/even more boss melting abilities.

Turian Cabal Vanguard

Thanks to peddro for reminding me to update OP :P
As he said, Cabal has the mobility to really get in range and dash back out to deal some pretty nasty burst DPS. 4 points in posion strike are enough to get around any map quick enough, and 4 points in fitness along with biotic shield give her plenty of survivability. Use Nightshade Blades for stagger if necessary, but otherwise use your dodge and infinite-mook-stagger melee to dazzle the enemy. 

Batarian Soldier

NuclearTech76 wrote...

Bat Soldier. BB immediately when the second round leaves the chamber to power cancel the reload. Death, destruction and chaos while you laugh at the enemies.

More to be added later........

In Conclusion....
The Raider is a great, fun weapons to use that excels at destroying bosses and mooks alike with no prejudice. It is possibly the only gun I know that works better off host than on host (to some ridiculous results. It may not be the best shotgun, or the most versatile one for that matter but it does what it does damn well.

Anyways I hope the guide has helped somewhat and I haven't wall-of-texted you to death already. Posted Image

Edited by DHKany, 15 August 2013 - 04:10 PM.

• LuckyStarr likes this

Titus Thongger

Titus Thongger
  • Members
  • 6,086 posts
^ wont an ominblade add weight to the raider by virtue of it being a non-vanilla weapon?

ComradeShepard7

ComradeShepard7
  • Members
  • 1,259 posts
Guide looks good. My only question is why AP ammo for the GI? Is this because of the greater armor weakening? I would think the higher general damage boost from warp would be more useful or is that extra damage just over kill? I haven't personally put the Raider through its paces so I'm just speculating.

ComradeShepard7

ComradeShepard7
  • Members
  • 1,259 posts

Titus Thongger wrote...

^ wont an ominblade add weight to the raider by virtue of it being a non-vanilla weapon?

I believe the reasoning behind this is that the raider is in the original game files and was just added to multiplayer through a balance change rather than DLC. Could be wrong on this though.

Gao Qiu

Gao Qiu
  • Members
  • 368 posts

DHKany wrote...

Admittedly I don't use the Raider as much as I confess to loving it around here, but I have a fairly firm grasp on how to use it effectively.

(snip)

It may not be the best shotgun, or the most versatile one for that matter but it does what it does damn well.

No...no....say it ain't so.  The leader of the Raider cult, saying he doesn't use it as much as his image would suggest...then saying that it's not the best shotgun....

:crying:

I.... I need to lie down.  

(nice guide btw, I'd only add in Drellfiltrator as another "peanut butter & chocolate" match kit for the Raider :wizard:)

DHKany

DHKany
  • Members
  • 8,023 posts
lol Gao we have to realize our masters weaknesses to fully appreciate him Posted Image

Also Titus, as comrade said the Raider was in the game files it was just up to the devs to unlock it or not same with the PPR.

Feel free to add your builds btw, I'll add them to the OP (brief description of how to use it would be nice as well)

Edited by DHKany, 09 July 2013 - 08:49 AM.

JPN17

JPN17
  • Members
  • 1,289 posts

Titus Thongger wrote...

The raider is a vanilla weapon. It was released with the game, just not made available to those on console.

DHKany

DHKany
  • Members
  • 8,023 posts

ComradeShepard7 wrote...

Guide looks good. My only question is why AP ammo for the GI? Is this because of the greater armor weakening? I would think the higher general damage boost from warp would be more useful or is that extra damage just over kill? I haven't personally put the Raider through its paces so I'm just speculating.

I always feel as if I waste Warp Ammo's potential when using a class that doesn't possess biotic powers. Admittedly, teammates could take care of that problem but there is no gurantee that I'll be hitting primed targets everytime.

Warp Ammo also works yes, I just found AP to be more suitable for weapons platoforms.

Titus Thongger

Titus Thongger
  • Members
  • 6,086 posts
^ thanks guys.

THEN I'VE BEEN DOING EVERYTHING WRONG?!!!? D:

all praise the (something something) raider.

I would actually like to use the raider on the krogan shaman, with warp ammo for ridiculous warp ammo + primed target damage. Only problem is that that means either going

- smart choke + HVB (therefore no omniblade, and every krogan needs an ominblade)
- smart choke + omniblade (therefore no penetration -ho ho inb4-)

DHKany

DHKany
  • Members
  • 8,023 posts

Titus Thongger wrote...

^ thanks guys.

I would actually like to use the raider on the krogan shaman, with warp ammo for ridiculous warp ammo + primed target damage. Only problem is that that means either going

- smart choke + HVB (therefore no omniblade, and every krogan needs an ominblade)

Penentration really isnt too big of a deal though, just use the Smart Choke omni blade with Warp ammo and you should dealing enough deeps just fine. Wallbanging doesn't make or break the Raider.

ComradeShepard7

ComradeShepard7
  • Members
  • 1,259 posts

DHKany wrote...

Titus Thongger wrote...

^ thanks guys.

Penentration really isnt too big of a deal though, just use the Smart Choke omni blade with Warp ammo and you should dealing enough deeps just fine. Wallbanging doesn't make or break the Raider.

I always like penetration just for being able to hit enemies through cover but it usually isn't all that necesary. However, lack of piercing turns regular Guardians into raid boss guardians.

DHKany

DHKany
  • Members
  • 8,023 posts

ComradeShepard7 wrote...

DHKany wrote...

Titus Thongger wrote...

^ thanks guys.

I always like penetration just for being able to hit enemies through cover but it usually isn't all that necesary. However, lack of piercing turns regular Guardians into raid boss guardians.

Indeed but since it is the Krogan Shaman that he wants to use it on he could just as easily stagger them with shockwave and blast em when they lift their shields for a second.

ComradeShepard7

ComradeShepard7
  • Members
  • 1,259 posts

DHKany wrote...

ComradeShepard7 wrote...

DHKany wrote...

Titus Thongger wrote...

^ thanks guys.

Indeed but since it is the Krogan Shaman that he wants to use it on he could just as easily stagger them with shockwave and blast em when they lift their shields for a second.

Very true but you can still yell "raid boss guardian" everytime you see one since lack of piercing makes it so they aren't quite a complete joke of an enemy.

Edited by ComradeShepard7, 09 July 2013 - 09:26 AM.

Guest_Lusty Argonian Maid_*

Guest_Lusty Argonian Maid_*
  • Guests
Just last night I was doing hit and runs with the GI, ofc using the supreme overlord raider :D

Bring barrel to the face and say "Hi!"

Titus Thongger

Titus Thongger
  • Members
  • 6,086 posts
^ I like penetration for the cheesy double hits it provides on bosses (atlas, banshee bubble, phantom bubble) because I'm cheesy like that :(

iOnlySignIn

iOnlySignIn
  • Members
  • 4,426 posts
You forgot Geth Trooper.

IMO the best weapon for the max DPS (Weapon + Flamer balanced DPS build) Geth Trooper (without Incendiary glitch).

Edited by iOnlySignIn, 09 July 2013 - 09:40 AM.

iOnlySignIn

iOnlySignIn
  • Members
  • 4,426 posts

DHKany wrote...

It may not be the best shotgun

Wat.

It's clearly the 2nd best weapon in the game after the Javelin.

Deerber

Deerber
  • Members
  • 16,822 posts
Nicely written, Kany. All hail the Supreme Overlord! :wizard:

However, there are a few things I'd like to point out:

DHKany wrote...

so don't be expect to be slaying phantoms from across the map.

Unless you put it on a marksman class and with a smart choke... Then you can litterally OHK the little biatches across London. Freakin' awesome, if you ask me :innocent: Also the one and only time when I ADS with it is when I use marskman to turn it into a scopeless sniper rifle.

Another thing is that it's a great gun to exploit incendiary ammo, if you're into that. Not the warp-or-other stuff cheese, just the cheese that comes from incendiary ammo alone. Because yes, incendiary ammo are glitched in and for themselves. And the best way to exploit that glitch is by using a fast firing weapon... And considering that it shoots 8 pellet at once, the Raider is the second fastest firing weapon in the game, after lolReegar.

But the biggest thing I would add is the reload hiding. That's the one reason why the 1 or 2 shot weapons are, on average, better than the continuous fire weapons, in this game Also the one reason why the Claymore and the Raider are much more awesome than the Wraith :P You think the Raider RC DPS is impressive, then you don't even want to take a look at what you can put out if you hide its reload animation in a cluster grenade :innocent:

Edited by Deerber, 09 July 2013 - 09:49 AM.

DHKany

DHKany
  • Members
  • 8,023 posts

Deerber wrote...

Nicely written, Kany. All hail the Supreme Overlord! :wizard:

However, there are a few things I'd like to point out:

DHKany wrote...

so don't be expect to be slaying phantoms from across the map.

Unless you put it on a marksman class and with a smart choke... Then you can litterally OHK the little biatches across London. Freakin' awesome, if you ask me :innocent: Also the one and only time when I ADS with it is when I use marskman to turn it into a scopeless sniper rifle.

But the biggest thing I would add is the reload hiding. That's the one reason why the 1 or 2 shot weapons are, on average, better than the continuous fire weapons, in this game Also the one reason why the Claymore and the Raider are much more awesome than the Wraith :P You think the Raider RC DPS is impressive, then you don't even want to take a look at what you can put out if you hide its reload animation in a cluster grenade :innocent:

Point taken Deerbare. Phantom Sniping just hasn't been all to succesful for me so I left it out :P edit OP shortly. 

Imagine the carnage with Incendiary Inferno Chesse.

THE CARNAGE. THE CARNAGE. 

DHKany

DHKany
  • Members
  • 8,023 posts

iOnlySignIn wrote...

DHKany wrote...

Wat.

Trying to look at it from both sides brah. 
Last thing I want is for this to descend into some shotgun war :sick:

Titus Thongger

Titus Thongger
  • Members
  • 6,086 posts
inb4highlordclaymoredarklordreegarholygraal

iOnlySignIn

iOnlySignIn
  • Members
  • 4,426 posts

DHKany wrote...

Can you do that with the Raider? I thought it only works with high ROF automatic weapons.

DHKany wrote...

iOnlySignIn wrote...

DHKany wrote...

Wat.

Trying to look at it from both sides brah. 
Last thing I want is for this to descend into some shotgun war [smilie]http://social.bioware.com/images/forum/emoticons/sick.png[/smilie]

Shotguns are made for war. [smilie]http://social.bioware.com/images/forum/emoticons/devil.png[/smilie]

Edited by iOnlySignIn, 09 July 2013 - 10:09 AM.

Deerber

Deerber
  • Members
  • 16,822 posts

DHKany wrote...

Edit: nevermind. I'm just stupid XD

Edited by Deerber, 09 July 2013 - 10:09 AM.

DHKany

DHKany
  • Members
  • 8,023 posts

Deerber wrote...

DHKany wrote...

Edit: nevermind. I'm just stupid XD

Why u so quick ninja Posted Image

DHKany

DHKany
  • Members
  • 8,023 posts

iOnlySignIn wrote...

DHKany wrote...

Can you do that with the Raider? I thought it only works with high ROF automatic weapons.

I meant Incendiary ammo and Inferno Grenade Cheese if you're confused :S