Photo

How to Collector Sniper Rifle (No, it doesn't suck)

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

DHKany

DHKany
  • Members
  • 8,023 posts
The Collector Sniper Rifle really is a great weapon (IMO), and I don't think it nearly deserves as much flak as it does around here. Hope this guide helps somewhat :wizard: 

Posted Image

All stats are assuming the weapons is at X
As always stats are courtesy of Cyonan's Spreadsheet. 

Weight: 1.4
Rate of Fire: 800
Damage: 91.30
Clip Size: 45
Mad Deeps: 1217.33
Hipfired Damage: 75% (68.475)
Hipfire Mad Deeps: 913.00 
Accuracy: Pinpoint

As one can see the CSR's damage potential is pretty awesome. It out does the Harrier X in terms of dps at X and comes pretty close to the Particle Rifle X as well. It's accuracy is also pinpoint thanks to its laser beam like characteristics. Recoil is also non-existant making this a very controllable weapon. 

As with most weapons, it also has its downsides to counter act its main strength; damage. The high rate of fire, along with its abysmally small clip size, using up two ammo units per shot when using sustained fire, along with its incredibly painful reload time make this gun very unappleaing for some. Just to add insult to injury, the high power scope doesn't go too well with its range cap. However, the range cap isn't too bad and it really is an overblown downside of the gun IMO. 

Once you can look past and adjust to the downsides the CSR really does become an absolute shredding machine. 

WEAPON MODS: 

Combo#1: High Velocity Barrel + Piercing mod. Pretty standard affair for most Sniper Rifles. Nice 25% damage boost with some pretty awsome wallbanging abilites to boot (made better with Drill rounds). 

Combo#2: Enhanced Scope + High Velocity Barrel. For those who dislike the original scope and have trouble with the smoke screens against Cerberus. Do not get the Enhanced Scope with the Thermal Scope as I find the Thermal Scope to be pretty lackluster for the added weight. 

Combo#3: Extended Barrel + Piercing mod. For the people who want to keep the CSR's medium weight but still want a very well rounded setup. Also good for the people who don't have the High Velocity Barrel at V yet. Good for equipping on casters. 

Combo#4: Enhanced Scope + Extended Barrel. Same reasoning as above, with the added ability of seeing through smoke in exchange for no piercing whatsoever. Probably the least ideal build out of them all but it still works effectively against all factions. 

Spare Ammo Capacity does nothing to increase the CSR's clip size, Ultra Lightweight Materials' benefits are minimal and the Thermal Scope offers too little bang for the weight (IMO).

STRATEGY:
To combat the CSR's main weakness (low clip size) one has to tapfire instead of holding down the trigger. Resoning behind this (as explained a few sections above) is that holding down the trigger makes the gun start using up two ammo units per-shot essentially halving whatever ammo you have left in the clip. Tap-firing allows you to get the most milage out of the clip-size and allows for some pretty easy ammo discipline as it is easier to stop the tap-firing than to rely just on the 'feel' as to when you should release the trigger (especially off-host). 

You don't have to tapfire like the mattock either. A short 1-2 second burst per click (R1/RT) should be fine.

To combat the CSR's other main weakness, lack of sustained damage output, we use everybody's favorite cheese; Incendiary ammo. With the CSR's fast firing, laser beam like characteristics it applies ammo power EXTREMELY well and allows for Incendiary Ammo to Cheese itself. It stacks very well and if that platinum brute didn't die within the clip, the incendiray Damage Over Time effect will kill it off. 

Other Ammo types work just as well (with the exception of Cryo <_<), AP and Drill for those non piercing builds or for the people who want on the spot damage, Warp for Biotics, Disruptor for Tech classes and so on. But Incendiary is probably the best ammo type for it. 

One should also be wary of using it on Drells as it sufferes the same POV glitch that the other Inifnite Ammo weapons have. 

Demonstrated by HardcoreSalmon

CLASSES
At the end of the day, the CSR is a Sniper Rifle so Infiltrators will do best with it thanks to their 25% multiplicative bonus at the end of their Tactical Cloak tree (Turian Ghost, Alliance Infiltration Unit and Huntress notwithstanding). Avoid CQC classes and use it on classes that mainly focus on Medium Range combat. 

N7 Destroyer

Kind of an Unorthodox Build, but it works for me. Seeing as how the CSR already is pinpoint accurate I saw no need for weapon accuracy and instead went with recharge speed. Spec for Accuracy if you want a more versatile weapons platform. Clip size is vital for the CSR and even just the 30% from the Devastator Mode can make a difference. Hawk Missile Launcher for free stagggers while you are shooting for easy headshots and some neat damage. Frags for those oSH*t moments. Full weapons passives and four points in health rounds off this build. 

Collector Adept 

A weapons focused build, Warp Ammo is key for ultimate destruction here. Throw out dark sphere, throw Dark Channel, detonate Dark Sphere and proceed to melt everything glowing with green space AIDS. Seeker Swarms are there mainly for the Damage Reduction but use them for the cheap Biotic Explosions when in a pinch. 

Geth Infiltrator

Another Great Class to use it on. Standard Sniper Tactical Cloak build, with the standard proxy mine setup. I opt for the damage for the proxy mine over 3 pity points into fitness as I find that I can clear out plat husks/abominations easier than without the damage evo. Hunter Mode I go for weapon accuracy and Rate of Fire simply because the other Evos are really not worth it on the Geth Infiltrator, unlike the Destroyer where Shield Recharge could some in handy. Full weapons-centric passives and you're set. 

Salarian Infiltrator

Probably the easiest class to use the CSR on. Standard Tactical Cloak and Proximity mine setup as above. Energy drain for pure Utility, and yes the armor boost does work off host. You just don't glow like you do on host. Weapons Centric Passives and you're good to go. 

me0120's MQI gameplay 
Build

Krogan Shaman

me0120 wrote...

Krogan Shaman + CSR + Incindiary rounds

For this build it's simple, close range mooks you spam shockwave while shooting them with the CSR for crowd control and Fire Explosions. Medium range you can use Warp to Stagger or detonate Fire Explosions. For Bosses you simply Warp -> CSR -> Shockwave until dead, huge BE's and a ton of "Warp" damage and since most of your weapon damage is from incindiary + warp you don't have to fret about poor Krogan passives. As long as you're on your toes Shockwave can prevent Phantom sync kills and you're durable enough to make mistakes.

It can easily take out a Gold Scion from full armor to death in one Warp -> CSR -> Shockwave combo using Inc. III and Sniper amp I.

CONCLUSION
The Collector Sniper Rifle really is a great gold/plat viable weapon. Fantastic DPS with ammo cheesing abilities rivaled by few other weapons, One of the better balanced and more interesting weapons created by Bioware, hats off to them ;).

Hope the guide helped somewhat :wizard:

Bonus:
ISHYGDDT's CSR Solo. Behold!.

Edited by DHKany, 17 July 2013 - 02:22 PM.

Tokenusername

Tokenusername
  • Members
  • 11,157 posts
I still don't like it, so there.

DHKany

DHKany
  • Members
  • 8,023 posts

Tokenusername wrote...

I still don't like it, so there.

Different Strokes For different folks :wizard:

Guest_Payn3zz_*

Guest_Payn3zz_*
  • Guests
fabulous™

ISHYGDDT

ISHYGDDT
  • Members
  • 6,930 posts
How to shamelessly pimp out your cool CSR-GI solo in someone else's thread.

Edited by ISHYGDDT, 16 July 2013 - 01:55 AM.

XPERIA_Z

XPERIA_Z
  • Members
  • 1,156 posts
its like lolreegar with longer range and shorter clips. IMO

DHKany

DHKany
  • Members
  • 8,023 posts

ISHYGDDT wrote...

How to shamelessly pimp out your cool CSR-GI solo in someone else's thread.

Fishygotitpls.

Added to the OP :wizard:

Malanek

Malanek
  • Members
  • 7,836 posts

DHKany wrote...

[/b]To combat the CSR's main weakness (low clip size) one has to tapfire instead of holding down the trigger. Resoning behind this (as explained a few sections above) is that holding down the trigger makes the gun start using up two ammo units per-shot essentially halving whatever ammo you have left in the clip. Tap-firing allows you to get the most milage out of the clip-size and allows for some pretty easy ammo discipline as it is easier to stop the tap-firing than to rely just on the 'feel' as to when you should release the trigger (especially off-host). 

You don't have to tapfire like the mattock either. A short 1-2 second burst per click (R1/RT) should be fine.

Do you know how long it takes before the ammo goes into double mode? I think 2 seconds is too long, but am quite curious and haven't been able to work it out accurately.

DHKany wrote...
To combat the CSR's other main weakness, lack of sustained damage output,

I don't really think it lacks sustained damage output. Use it interspersed with powers and it can be pretty much always on.

DHKany wrote...
One should also be wary of using it on Drells as it sufferes the same POV glitch that the other Inifnite Ammo weapons have.

If you tap fire you hardly notice. It gets reset every time.

Edited by Malanek999, 16 July 2013 - 02:05 AM.

DHKany

DHKany
  • Members
  • 8,023 posts
Maybe 2 seconds is too long, but really there isn't a need to spam fire it like crazy similar to the mattock.

What I meant by sustained is the gap between shooting things and waiting for the ammo to come back up. Whilst it is a short time it still is pretty significant and not nearly as fast as the CSMG. Other weapons with conventional reloads just reload cancel or have fast reloads.

CSR really is just a burst DPS monster.

mol6x7

mol6x7
  • Members
  • 263 posts

XPERIA_Z wrote...

And unlike reegar, if you run the clip to 0 you're kinda f*cked.

"Hey, hey! Guys and Banshees! Ten second time-out? Please?"

Pint

Pint
  • Members
  • 1,668 posts
You keep starting threads for all the weapons I love.

Are you me?

ISHYGDDT

ISHYGDDT
  • Members
  • 6,930 posts

mol6x7 wrote...

XPERIA_Z wrote...

You can always pop a thermal clip pack.  It's not like you don't have a few  of those lying around, I'm guessing.

XPERIA_Z

XPERIA_Z
  • Members
  • 1,156 posts

mol6x7 wrote...

XPERIA_Z wrote...

yeah. dat feeling :D:D:D:D

i never use csr on platinum

DHKany

DHKany
  • Members
  • 8,023 posts

Inconsistent Seas wrote...

You keep starting threads for all the weapons I love.

Are you me?

:bandit:

mol6x7

mol6x7
  • Members
  • 263 posts

ISHYGDDT wrote...

mol6x7 wrote...

XPERIA_Z wrote...

You can always pop a thermal clip pack.  It's not like you don't have a few  of those lying around, I'm guessing.

Naw. Play it with a human soldier. When you adrenaline rush it pops you back to 1 ammo and starts the recharge, just like a pack.

I'm not saying the CSR is terrible, but I play on PC and have little problem hitting distant targets without a scope with a half-assed accurate weapon, so I don't like sniper rifles in general. If I could use most of them without a scope, that would be awesome. I'm also more of a close-in person. My favorite two weapons are Hurricane and Reegar.

When I did the sniper rifle challenges, I used the CSR on a Volus and did almost nothing but hip-firing. Same with the Raptor.

DeckardWasAReplicant

DeckardWasAReplicant
  • Banned
  • 1,579 posts
I love the gun. The. I start pushing it a little to hard, then over heat it, and swear that id never use it again.

DeckardWasAReplicant

DeckardWasAReplicant
  • Banned
  • 1,579 posts

DeckardWasAReplicant wrote...

I love the gun. Then I start pushing it a little to hard, then over heat it, and swear that id never use it again.

Nicegil2012

Nicegil2012
  • Members
  • 464 posts
I have used it on the salarian and geth infiltrator and works great. It's a sniper that MELTS things.

dragaaan

dragaaan
  • Members
  • 789 posts
nice post, i hope some people start using it after reading this ;)

Liraindon

Liraindon
  • Members
  • 230 posts
Thanks for the guide. Will try out the button mashing and scopechange version :)

me0120

me0120
  • Members
  • 6,419 posts
I just made a quick video of a Quarian Male Infiltrator with the Collector SR. I'll upload it whenever it's done so people can see another perspective.

Amusingthree93

Amusingthree93
  • Members
  • 1,267 posts

mol6x7 wrote...

XPERIA_Z wrote...

L2P.

DHKany

DHKany
  • Members
  • 8,023 posts

me0120 wrote...

I just made a quick video of a Quarian Male Infiltrator with the Collector SR. I'll upload it whenever it's done so people can see another perspective.

Sure, and if you could give the build too ill add it to the OP :wizard:

Steven83

Steven83
  • Members
  • 174 posts
Can't scope with sniper rifle. It's not helping at all since most engagements does not require the long range zoom.

I rather have a mod that removes the scope, srsly.

Amusingthree93

Amusingthree93
  • Members
  • 1,267 posts

Steven83 wrote...

Can't scope with sniper rifle. It's not helping at all since most engagements does not require the long range zoom.

I rather have a mod that removes the scope, srsly.

Poor design choices, srsly. CSR is a good gun. I used to like it in the past. I wouldnt recommend it anymore because of the scope.