Photo

Enemy accuracy revisited

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Caratinoid

Caratinoid
  • Members
  • 982 posts
Here is a detailed yet simple description of enemy accuracy algorithm, the impact of game frame rate on it and some tips on how to take advantage of this in the game.

This knowledge was gathered by drawing some additional vectors in the game while running around in god mode.B)

Enemies need a fixed amount of time to take aim on a moving target once they get a LOS (line of sight) to it. Walking and running are both considered as moving and the time is the same for all kits but faster kits will travel over greater distance in the same time.

Once they do get their aimbot lock on you, it's impossible to escape it even if you are a freaking drell with adrenaline III mod.  Letting go of the movement keys or bumping into cover or enemy makes you a sitting duck and will result in an instant inescapable lock, you can run all you want after that but your ass is going down if your are not behind cover by that time!

In order to escape the lock of death you need to break LOS for at least 3 seconds by hiding behind something. It's better to use soft cover or dismount before you get into enemy LOS because leaving hard cover animations will make your kit stand still for a very short moment which is not good, exception being front storm out of cover move.

When an enemy AI unit loses LOS to you it will snap to the nearest path node where it could see you for the last time and will move to that location until it sees you again but if other enemies see you first it will update it's goal position too. All enemies will also update their target location each 10 sec even if they don't see you.

When flanking enemies it takes them few second to notice you, that's why you can see them shooting at random walls sometimes, they think you are still behind it.

How does frame rate affect all this, what's different?

It's simple, the frame rate controls how long you have before the lock of death condition occurs when running in the open. Here are approximate values:

30 FPS: 5-6 seconds
60FPS: 3 seconds
120FPS: 1.5 seconds

Playing at very low frame rates (<20 FPS) has an aditional effect and let's you escape the lock of death simply by starting to move again making it possibe to run in circles forever.

5-6 seconds sounds like much but in practise the enemies will spot your before you get out of cover most of the time through small holes which also count as LOS and start the countdown to the lock of death and you can't shoot while running around.

There are also some other parameters which control the cone spread of enemy fire such as TimeSinceLastSeen, TimeInTheOpen, IsTargetMoving etc. The effects of those are multiplied with a random factor and are usually not that noticeable even at their max possible value but sometimes they do help to avoid a few bullets even when enemies are locked on you.

How to take advantage of this in the game?

Wait 3-4 seconds behind something before crosssing an open area instead of popping your head out to shoot something first and than running. That way you buy your self some free time before you start catching bullets. Nothing can hit you during this magical time frame as long as you keep moving but keep in mind that you need to get into safe area before the timer hits zero. Each enemy unit has a separte timer.

When running, try to run perpendiculair to enemy LOS because running away from a hitscan bullet in a straght line is a bad idea. Catching a seeking rocket will slow you down letting other small enemies to easily lock on you, so try to avoid that if possible.

If you need to shoot something while running, don't stop! Instead start walking sideways in the same direction, make sure to press move sideway key before releasing the move forward key or you'll be toast. In fact you should always hold at least one movement key at all times to prevent enemies coming from around a corner or flanking you from getting an instant aim lock on you.

Edited by Caratinoid, 09 September 2013 - 04:53 PM.

Dunvi

Dunvi
  • Members
  • 4,841 posts
"how to take advantage of this in the game: play on lolxbawks or better yet lolps3"

ftfy

Red Panda

Red Panda
  • Members
  • 6,902 posts
Just gonna throw the link to this to the library so that it can be considered by DragonRacer

Edited by OperatingWookie, 08 September 2013 - 04:37 PM.

Deerber

Deerber
  • Members
  • 16,822 posts
Thank you so much for this Caratinoid, as always. Some of the most useful infos I've ever heard in this game came from you.

A few question though, if you don't mind. It's not exactly clear to me.

- do you mean that the speed at which I move has absolutely nothing to do with how fast enemies can track me? If I am a juggernaut or an adrenaline III Drell it's gonna be exactly the same?

- I don't get how one is capable of dodging bullets this way. I mean, I've seen plenty of them flying by me so many times it's not even a question that I can dodge them by moving. So why does that happen if they always have 100% accuracy while they're firing?

Read: I didn't understand exactly. Could you elaborate on that a bit more? Thanks! :)

Dunvi

Dunvi
  • Members
  • 4,841 posts

Deerber wrote...

Thank you so much for this Caratinoid, as always. Some of the most useful infos I've ever heard in this game came from you.

- do you mean that the speed at which I move has absolutely nothing to do with how fast enemies can track me? If I am a juggernaut or an adrenaline III Drell it's gonna be exactly the same?

- I don't get how one is capable of dodging bullets this way. I mean, I've seen plenty of them flying by me so many times it's not even a question that I can dodge them by moving. So why does that happen if they always have 100% accuracy while they're firing?

Read: I didn't understand exactly. Could you elaborate on that a bit more? Thanks! :)

A drell is more likely to break line of sight again in that time because of his speed. The enemies have "forced" inaccuracy while firing - various variables that will force some bullets to miss. The center of their aiming is perfect. Does that make sense?

Guest_Element 0_*

Guest_Element 0_*
  • Guests
Brilliant. I always knew about the lock-on thing. Fkn Marauders and Captains. 

And lol at console 6 seconds. 

Edited by Element 0, 08 September 2013 - 04:52 PM.

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts

Dunvi wrote...

"how to take advantage of this in the game: play on lolxbawks or better yet lolps3"

ftfy

A million times no.

Taking all that information, remember this: you can't remap controls or look which direction you want with FoV on console.

That means that we're stuck with locked FoV forward while running, little to no ability to turn while running, and the "one button to rule them all" meaning that you have no choice but to physically interact with every object or piece of cover you attempt to move past or around.

That's why you get target-locked so much on console - he just explained it. Because every time you get "stuck in cover" because of the "one button to rule them all," and inability to change direction while running, you are getting the Lock of Death.

Deerber

Deerber
  • Members
  • 16,822 posts

Dunvi wrote...

Deerber wrote...

A drell is more likely to break line of sight again in that time because of his speed. The enemies have "forced" inaccuracy while firing - various variables that will force some bullets to miss. The center of their aiming is perfect. Does that make sense?

Ah yeah it makes sense. So they fire toward the center of mass but don't have perfect accuracy. Makes sense.

TMB903

TMB903
  • Members
  • 3,313 posts
This is a great thread OP. Nicely done..

DS Monkfish

DS Monkfish
  • Members
  • 1,037 posts

Jeremiah12LGeek wrote...

Dunvi wrote...

ftfy

A million times no.

Taking all that information, remember this: you can't remap controls or look which direction you want with FoV on console.

That means that we're stuck with locked FoV forward while running, little to no ability to turn while running, and the "one button to rule them all" meaning that you have no choice but to physically interact with every object or piece of cover you attempt to move past or around.

That's why you get target-locked so much on console - he just explained it. Because every time you get "stuck in cover" because of the "one button to rule them all," and inability to change direction while running, you are getting the Lock of Death.

That and the horrible aim "assist" which assumes that you really wanted a bodyshot inead of that perfect headshot, or maybe the swarmer behind your target, or the Marauder next to it...

Edit: Oops. I'm tired and foolishly posted without any thought, having barely scanned the thread... My aim assist gripe still stands, but it's nothing to do with the topic. I'll go now. I need coffee. Lots more coffee.

Edited by DS Monkfish, 08 September 2013 - 05:11 PM.

Caratinoid

Caratinoid
  • Members
  • 982 posts

Deerber wrote...

Dunvi wrote...

Deerber wrote...

Ah yeah it makes sense. So they fire toward the center of mass but don't have perfect accuracy. Makes sense.

From the moment you appear from behind some obstruction establishing LOS between you and the enemy the distance between you and the place they are firing at will smoothly decrease with each frame. However that decrease is described in procent per frame rather than in units of distance so if you are moving at a greater speed that distance will also decrease faster. The time when they will be shooting directly at you will always be the same for any kit.

However that also means that faster kits like drell can travel further that other kits in the same time, so by the time that lock of death occurs you'll be on the other place of the map safely behind cover while a slower kit will have to find some cover in between.

Even after they are aiming directly at you they still have some (random) spread so they can miss.

The crusial part is:

Wait at least 3 seconds behind something and then run.;)

Edited by Caratinoid, 08 September 2013 - 05:12 PM.

David Diablo

David Diablo
  • Banned
  • 2,702 posts
I always figured we had it easy vs mooks on console, but six seconds! Makes it practically impossible for them to down you unless you're distracted by a boss.

Very informative Caratinoid!

Fortack

Fortack
  • Members
  • 2,609 posts
Interesting, thanks for posting this.

One quick question though. Do all enemies use their own individual tracking system, or is it shared between the lot of em?

UnknownMercenary

UnknownMercenary
  • Members
  • 5,547 posts
thanks for quantifying this

BridgeBurner

BridgeBurner
  • Members
  • 7,317 posts

Fortack wrote...

One quick question though. Do all enemies use their own individual tracking system, or is it shared between the lot of em?

I think the base mechanics are the same, the behaviours, etc. But an enemy's weapon, archetype and status effect how it behaves.

Caratinoid

Caratinoid
  • Members
  • 982 posts

Fortack wrote...

Each enemy (even swarmer) has a separate tracking system. Ravager is an exception though as he needs half the time to lock on you.

Edited by Caratinoid, 08 September 2013 - 06:10 PM.

Caratinoid

Caratinoid
  • Members
  • 982 posts

David Diablo wrote...

I always figured we had it easy vs mooks on console, but six seconds! Makes it practically impossible for them to down you unless you're distracted by a boss.

Very informative Caratinoid!

It's not that long in practice. LOS means line of sight from any point on the map even if they are very far away, by the time they reach you full accuracy mode will be on. And it's not like mooks are all coming from one direction, if something is blocking your pass you'll have to stop and that's when they get you. On top of that you have to understand how it works to be able to take full advantage of it, if you don't wait at least 3 seconds in cover you'll get full round in your face. If you let go of the movement key or bump into some cover even for one frame enemies will instantly lose that accuracy nerf and geth can stunlock you slowing down your movement. 6 seconds is fine even for PC and on console you can't navigate as fast.

Fortack

Fortack
  • Members
  • 2,609 posts
Thanks guys!

For a moment I feared something like:

"Swarmer 12 to base, there's a fat Krogan approaching from the west. Open fire in 3,2,1 ..."

Deerber

Deerber
  • Members
  • 16,822 posts

Caratinoid wrote...

Deerber wrote...

Dunvi wrote...

Deerber wrote...

From the moment you appear from behind some obstruction establishing LOS between you and the enemy the distance between you and the place they are firing at will smoothly decrease with each frame. However that decrease is described in procent per frame rather than in units of distance so if you are moving at a greater speed that distance will also decrease faster. The time when they will be shooting directly at you will always be the same for any kit.

However that also means that faster kits like drell can travel further that other kits in the same time, so by the time that lock of death occurs you'll be on the other place of the map safely behind cover while a slower kit will have to find some cover in between.

Even after they are aiming directly at you they still have some (random) spread so they can miss.

The crusial part is:

Wait at least 3 seconds behind something and then run.;)

Thanks Cara, now it's clear. Thank you veyr much! :wizard:

Still, as always, a quick offense is the best defense. Corpses might still reach perfect accuracy, but they don't fire... Usually.

Guest_Element 0_*

Guest_Element 0_*
  • Guests

Fortack wrote...

Thanks guys!

For a moment I feared something like:

"Swarmer 12 to base, there's a fat Krogan approaching from the west. Open fire in 3,2,1 ..."

Pssst, that's how it really goes. Those husks also radio in all your positions. Seekers too. :P

BridgeBurner

BridgeBurner
  • Members
  • 7,317 posts
Caratinoid is a genius.

I will upload a video showing why soon...

Suffice to say, Caratinoid = best BSNer EU

HE MADE ME A HAPPY VOLUS...

Dunvi

Dunvi
  • Members
  • 4,841 posts

Annomander wrote...

Caratinoid is a genius.

D: what about me? 

David Diablo

David Diablo
  • Banned
  • 2,702 posts
@Caratinoid
All the more reason why rio and condor suck. You're right about the movement not being great compared to pc, but you would be amazed how dumb some enemies can be when you have that six second window.

ISHYGDDT

ISHYGDDT
  • Members
  • 6,930 posts
Great info Caratinoid. Does cloak count as breaking line-of-sight according to the AI i.e. if I'm in cloak for 3 whole seconds do I simply break the lock or does it operate at a different level?

BridgeBurner

BridgeBurner
  • Members
  • 7,317 posts

Dunvi wrote...

Annomander wrote...

Caratinoid is a genius.

D: what about me? 

You helped too.

Just goes to show what teamwork in a co-op game can accomplish...

One crazy Scottish Volus, to conceive of an idea so brilliant it defies comprehension...

One smart and tolerate Asian lady who knows how to code...

And one being of pure skill and genius with his code writing abilities...

We created something truly special...