Photo

My main gripe about allowing any mod to be fitted on every weapon...

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

JushtFinisht

JushtFinisht
  • Members
  • 129 posts
is that the game does not specifically tell you whether the weapon will benefit from that particular mod. For example, take the piercing mod on the Geth Plasma Shotgun. Were I not to search on here or the ME Wiki, I would not have known that it does nothing for the weapon.

So really, the game should have disabled mods for a weapon, because I hate seeing useless things like piercing mods on explosive/projectile weapons on PUG loadouts.

Also, is there a list out there that shows which mods "don't work" on a weapon? Thanks in advance.

Edited by JushtFinisht, 12 January 2014 - 01:51 AM.

• BIGmacLou likes this

Tokenusername

Tokenusername
  • Members
  • 11,157 posts
But my GPS looks with with red lights and black paint.

Zeke0

Zeke0
  • Members
  • 649 posts
BSN needs these things to be holier than thou about.
  • Terminator Force likes this

Evil

Evil
  • Members
  • 2,391 posts
Penetration mods are useless on these guns:
Adas Anti-Synthetic Rifle (I just found this one out myself a few days ago!).
M-37 Falcon.
Striker Assault Rifle.
Acolyte.
Scorpion.
Geth Plasma Shotgun.
Graal Spike Thrower.
Venom Shotgun.
Kishock Harpoon Gun.
Krysae Sniper Rifle.

Sniper Rifle Spare Thermal Clip mod is useless on the Collector Sniper Rifle.

SMG Heat Sink mod is useless on the Collector SMG.

Shotgun Smart Choke is useless on the Venom Shotgun and the N7 Crusader, and of very little use on the Reegar Carbine (it only improves the pellet spread, not the range) and the Geth Plasma Shotgun (it only benefits uncharged shots).

Particle Rifle has zero recoil, so gains nothing from Assault Rifle Stability Damper.

Javelin already has an x-ray scope, so gains nothing from scope upgrades.

And I wouldn't expect a Pistol Cranial Trauma System to do much on an Acolyte or Scorpion either.

Does that help?

And for what it's worth, I agree that non-functional mods should have been non-equipable.

21/01/14: Edited to add PPR and javelin, rephrase the GPR, and remove the Graal.
Graal does benefit from the smart choke, my bad.

Thanks for the corrections cato.

Edited by Evil Mastered, 21 January 2014 - 05:18 AM.

• mrs_anomaly and Ronik82 like this

cato potato

cato potato
  • Members
  • 3,927 posts

Evil Mastered wrote...

Penetration mods are useless on these guns:
Adas Anti-Synthetic Rifle (I just found this one out myself a few days ago!).
M-37 Falcon.
Striker Assault Rifle.
Acolyte.
Scorpion.
Geth Plasma Shotgun.
Graal Spike Thrower.
Venom Shotgun.
Kishock Harpoon Gun.
Krysae Sniper Rifle.

Sniper Rifle Spare Thermal Clip mod is useless on the Collector Sniper Rifle.

SMG Heat Sink mod is useless on the Collector SMG.

Shotgun Smart Choke is useless on:
Geth Plasma Shotgun.Venom Shotgun.
N7 Crusader.
And of very little use on the Reegar Carbine (it only improves the pellet spread, not the range) and Graal Spike Thrower.

And I wouldn't expect a Pistol Cranial Trauma System to do much on an Acolyte or Scorpion either.

Does that help?

And for what it's worth, I agree that non-functional mods should have been non-equipable.

A few points here:

The smart choke does work on the GPS, it tightens the spread of the three projectiles. Granted it makes very little difference but it does work.

I don't believe the smart choke has any effect on the Reegar at all (though I could well be wrong).

The Graal benefits greatly from the smart choke, although it is fairly accurate to begin with.

The Scorpion can score headshots so the pistol cranial trauma mod will work with it.
  • mrs_anomaly likes this

Tokenusername

Tokenusername
  • Members
  • 11,157 posts

cato_84 wrote...

The Scorpion can score headshots

Wat?

cato potato

cato potato
  • Members
  • 3,927 posts

Tokenusername wrote...

cato_84 wrote...

Wat?

Gasp, I was wrong? Watch this Token - sorry, I was wrong. That wasn't so bad, you should try it sometime.

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts
I thought this was about a specific players' coalesced hack, for a second. :P

I can confirm that smart choke does work on GPS (though I still wouldn't recommend it.)

I agree, though, it would have been especially good if AP mods were disabled for projectile weapons.

Edited by Jeremiah12LGeek, 12 January 2014 - 03:32 AM.

• mrs_anomaly likes this

Tokenusername

Tokenusername
  • Members
  • 11,157 posts

cato_84 wrote...

Tokenusername wrote...

cato_84 wrote...

Wat?

Gasp, I was wrong? Watch this Token - sorry, I was wrong. That wasn't so bad, you should try it sometime.

Don't be so quick to humble yourself saint cato. I assumed as a projectile weapon that it was incapable of headshots. I rarely use the scorpion, and on the occasions I do I don't aim for the head, so I really don't have the experience to say either way. If it is true I found it surprising.

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts

Tokenusername wrote...

cato_84 wrote...

Tokenusername wrote...

cato_84 wrote...

Wat?

Don't be so quick to humble yourself saint cato. I assumed as a projectile weapon that it was incapable of headshots. I rarely use the scorpion, and on the occasions I do I don't aim for the head, so I really don't have the experience to say either way. If it is true I found it surprising.

Hmm... I'm pretty sure the Kishock and Graal are capable of headshots... and they're projectile weapons.

NuclearTech76

NuclearTech76
  • Members
  • 16,229 posts

Tokenusername wrote...

But my GPS looks with with red lights and black paint.

Exactly looks are more important than performance.

Tokenusername

Tokenusername
  • Members
  • 11,157 posts

Jeremiah12LGeek wrote...

Tokenusername wrote...

I assumed as a projectile weapon that it [the scorpion] was incapable of headshots.

Hmm... I'm pretty sure the Kishock and Graal are capable of headshots... and they're projectile weapons.

iirc the graal has a 3x multiplier. They do, but most don't.

Evil

Evil
  • Members
  • 2,391 posts

cato_84 wrote...

A few points here:

The smart choke does work on the GPS, it tightens the spread of the three projectiles. Granted it makes very little difference but it does work.

I don't believe the smart choke has any effect on the Reegar at all (though I could well be wrong).

The Graal benefits greatly from the smart choke, although it is fairly accurate to begin with.

The Scorpion can score headshots so the pistol cranial trauma mod will work with it.

You're right about the GPS, I'd forgotten about the pellet spread being reduced, since I only use uncharged shot's at point-blank range.  My bad.

I think the reegar has a pellet spread lake any other hitscan shotgun, so the smart choke would have an effect, but it wouldn't be very beneficial, because the spread's already very tight.

I'm unsure about the graal, I thought it was 100% accurate already, like the crusader is? It's hard to tell on a non-hitscan gun, since I usually attribute any misses to lag or user error.

Can the scorpion score headshots?  Kalence doesn't list a headshot stat, and cyonans spreadsheet says no.

Whoa, deja vu.

Edited by Evil Mastered, 12 January 2014 - 03:50 AM.

Tybo

Tybo
  • Members
  • 1,294 posts

cato_84 wrote...

Tokenusername wrote...

cato_84 wrote...

Wat?

It's been a long time since I messed with this, but I believe I've gotten a headshot medal with the scorpion before. If I remember correctly, the shots didn't seem to do any extra damage though.

Once again, it's been a while, so take that with a grain of salt

cato potato

cato potato
  • Members
  • 3,927 posts

Evil Mastered wrote...

cato_84 wrote...

A few points here:

You're right about the GPS, I'd forgotten about the pellet spread being reduced, since I only use uncharged shot's at point-blank range.  My bad.

I think the reegar has a pellet spread lake any other hitscan shotgun, so the smart choke would have an effect, but it wouldn't be very beneficial, because the spread's already very tight.

I'm unsure about the graal, I thought it was 100% accurate already, like the crusader is? It's hard to tell on a non-hitscan gun, since I usually attribute any misses to lag or user error.

Can the scorpion score headshots?  Kalence doesn't list a headshot stat, and cyonans spreadsheet says no.

Whoa, deja vu.

I was wrong about the Scorpion (I was certain I had read that it was headshot capable), TokenTheInfallible already picked up on that.
The Graal fires 6 flechettes and has a spread (easy to see by firing against a wall) whereas the Crusader only fires one slug.

MGW7

MGW7
  • Members
  • 1,086 posts
For the scorpion
If the projectile hits an enemy in the head it does cause a headshot, however, the bonus only applies to the impact, not the explosion, which makes it useless aside from increasing the ammo effect's damage

Venom, falcon, krysae wise
Also, I wasn't sure whether it was in this game or another, but I have heard that if you aim at an enemies head when the projectile explodes, not when you fire it, it would incur a headshot

Edited by MGW7, 12 January 2014 - 04:10 AM.

millahnna

millahnna
  • Members
  • 1,732 posts
Resource library candidate?

Nitrocuban

Nitrocuban
  • Members
  • 5,767 posts
A simple "cannot equip here", some actual numbers including piercing distance, armor damage and headshot damage, ammo count etc. would be really nice.

Takeyama

Takeyama
  • Members
  • 138 posts
I just wish they'd use numbers in general instead of bars for everything personally. Though that would only solve the CSR ammo mod issue immediately lol.

sithren

sithren
  • Members
  • 114 posts

Didn't want to create a new thread for this, but does the high velocity barrel work with the geth pulse rifle? I tested it, and it doesn't seem to work. Shots don't penetrate walls.

cato potato

cato potato
  • Members
  • 3,927 posts

Didn't want to create a new thread for this, but does the high velocity barrel work with the geth pulse rifle? I tested it, and it doesn't seem to work. Shots don't penetrate walls.

It should work as the Geth Pulse Rifle is a normal hitscan weapon but I have to confess I've never tested out that setup before.

crashsuit

crashsuit
  • Members
  • 2,139 posts
Deleted. (derp)
  • andy_3_913 likes this

sithren

sithren
  • Members
  • 114 posts

It should work as the Geth Pulse Rifle is a normal hitscan weapon but I have to confess I've never tested out that setup before.

I'll try it again tonight. Didn't seem to work in a bronze solo. I couldn't penetrate anything with the gpr and high velocity barrel.

Deleted. (derp)

derp! that's ok.

Excella Gionne

Excella Gionne
  • Members
  • 10,443 posts

Piercing Mods do work on the Plasma Rifle. I used to use it on my Geth Engineer.

sithren

sithren
  • Members
  • 114 posts
Even the high velocity barrel? I don't have the vanilla piercing mod to test out just the hvb and it didn't seem to work. Will try again when I get home.