Photo

Your Last DAMP PuG

6142 replies to this topic

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts

Inspired by CrimsonN7's ME 3 MP Thread.

And by "inspired," I mean blatantly stolen! 9319342270_26e288a310_m.jpg    :ph34r:

Traditionally, one is supposed to describe the PuG in one word, but over in the ME 3 MP forums, we were pretty bad about actually following that rule...

If you're not familiar with the expression:

PuG is Pick-up Game, originally. I believe it comes from street basketball/street hockey and other such gatherings. It basically means that you just grab all the nearest players and start the game.

In the world of online gaming, and in the world of ME 3 MP, in particular, PuG has also come to mean "Pick-up Gamer," or one of those nearest players that you just grab for the game, i.e. it basically means any random gamer that you just meet and immediately jump into a game with.

Of course, this won't be happening for at least a month (unless there's an early MP demo release, like with ME 3, but I have the impression that there are no plans for that.)

Personally, it's been a while since I played an MP game as a complete beginner. Even after a six-month break, I still have a solid handle on ME 3 MP's higher difficulties, but DAMP is going to be my first "fish out of water" MP experience in almost 2 years.

I'm sort of looking forward to being a newb carried by random strangers online, again.  :rolleyes:

• rspanther, stysiaq, theflyingzamboni and 10 others like this

PurpGuy1

PurpGuy1
  • Banned
  • 804 posts

Reserved

Also:  First

• andy_3_913 and Jeremiah12LGeek like this

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

Hehehe, let the games begin Soon™! 

• Jeremiah12LGeek likes this

Silvershroud

Silvershroud
  • Members
  • 1,687 posts

I love how this thread got started a whole month before the game comes out.  Now, we just need a "Those BSNers that you happen to bump into" thread.

• Fortack, N7_5P3CTR3 and LanceCucumber like this

Eelectrica

Eelectrica
  • Members
  • 3,763 posts
May last pug - terrible lag
I died about a hundred times. Then we finally made it to the dungeon entrance and had a server disconnect. Or I think that's what it was.
  • PurpGuy1 and luism like this

BronzTrooper

BronzTrooper
  • Members
  • 5,013 posts

We're going to also need a "Things PuGs say..." thread too.   ^_^

Cirvante

Cirvante
  • Members
  • 4,067 posts

Scrubs. Scrubs everywhere. Calling it now.

Beerfish

Beerfish
  • Members
  • 23,825 posts

They all got sync killed by red templar lords.  lol Then all my decoys were gone.  Me and Slowerthanashenjeremiahmassmegabeast are going to do a duo later.  I might take a whirl on perilous hazard later on with a butter knife.  I'll record it and stick it up on youtube.

• Jeremiah12LGeek likes this

Ashevajak

Ashevajak
  • Members
  • 2,562 posts

a) lag B) scrubs c) terrible loadouts d) go back to Casual, n00bs e) unlocked even more Hale runes :( thanks a lot RNG gods f) I locked my entire team in the furnace and it was glorious g) sync-killed by a Genlock on Wave 3

Delete as appropriate.

• Jeremiah12LGeek, MaxCrushmore and BronzTrooper like this

waltervolpatto

waltervolpatto
  • Members
  • 1,470 posts

L2p...

Also, When?

• Jeremiah12LGeek and J. Peterman like this

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts

I love how this thread got started a whole month before the game comes out.

If I'd waited, someone else might have made it first.  :ph34r:

Devtek

Devtek
  • Members
  • 529 posts

Everyone I know calls them Pick-Up-Groups.

Silvershroud

Silvershroud
  • Members
  • 1,687 posts

Huh, I can't believe nobody's done this yet, but here is my latest damp pug:

aN0zjlT.jpg

OK, yeah, maybe it's more than damp.  Kinda drenched actually.

• Beerfish, Edelas, theflyingzamboni and 16 others like this

BronzTrooper

BronzTrooper
  • Members
  • 5,013 posts

Everyone I know calls them Pick-Up-Groups.

That's what I call them too.

Huh, I can't believe nobody's done this yet, but here is my latest damp pug:

aN0zjlT.jpg

OK, yeah, maybe it's more than damp.  Kinda drenched actually.

tbh, when someone makes a 'DAMP/damp' joke, my mind goes straight to the gutter.  What can I say?  I've got a dirty mind.   :P

Spoiler

• wwilt13 likes this

BronzTrooper

BronzTrooper
  • Members
  • 5,013 posts

You know you play MP too much when you see the word 'pug' and the breed of canine is the absolute last thing that comes to mind.   :lol:

• theflyingzamboni, Silvershroud, Jeremiah12LGeek and 2 others like this

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

Had to be you; somebody else might have gotten it wrong.

• wwilt13, PurpGuy1, Grim68 and 7 others like this

Pee Jae

Pee Jae
  • Members
  • 4,085 posts

Reserved.

Also...

Get in the circle!

Don't run through the *sigh* spawn.

N7 Tigger

N7 Tigger
  • Members
  • 1,581 posts

Hey, Jeremiah, how long did you stick with State of Decay? I hung around the Undead Labs forum just long enough to tell them their game sucked then sailed away on a river of nerd tears and warning points.

Solid_Altair

Solid_Altair
  • Members
  • 154 posts

What the hell is BSN?

And do we know if there will be PuG search functions that put people together according with their classes, so we don't end up with 4 archers, for instance?

And will DAMP be dungeon only, or free roam, too?

GrommitSmit

GrommitSmit
  • Members
  • 299 posts

What the hell is BSN?

And do we know if there will be PuG search functions that put people together according with their classes, so we don't end up with 4 archers, for instance?

And will DAMP be dungeon only, or free roam, too?

What the hell is BSN? I ask myself that every time I log in. The acronym stands for BioWare Social Network. This includes the forum which we are currently using, ME3MP N7HQ webpage and most likely the Inquisition HQ app.

As for the matchmaking, I know it has been confirmed that the system will attempt to match to include one of each class for preference per session. However, I would imagine it would also attempt to place people in lobbies by proximity to minimize latency. Not sure which will take priority yet.

Currently the game mode design appears to focus on dungeon crawling through randomly rearranged rooms, with randomly distributed enemies, chests, encounter types and missions. Nothing so far appears to indicate a free-roam mode. Personally, I would love a fully realized co-op party based story campaign and random quest mode set in the DA universe. However, I will gladly play the heck out of DAMP until that game is released.

maddeninggamer

maddeninggamer
  • Members
  • 78 posts

We're going to also need a "Things PuGs say..." thread too.   ^_^

"The moment we finally run into a lockbox the rogue is already dead"

"The warrior shouted his name and then charged at the dragon getting everyone killed in the process"

"I would have liked to loot the boss, but the archer killed him after i took 90% of his health alone"

• BronzTrooper likes this

Silvershroud

Silvershroud
  • Members
  • 1,687 posts

"I would have liked to loot the boss, but the archer killed him after i took 90% of his health alone"

I can definitely see that one.  Especially because the loot is instanced, so everyone gets it anyways.  People can be, uhh, you know what, if I have nothing nice to say, I shouldn't say anything at all.

TheThirdRace

TheThirdRace
  • Members
  • 1,511 posts

I can definitely see that one.  Especially because the loot is instanced, so everyone gets it anyways.  People can be, uhh, you know what, if I have nothing nice to say, I shouldn't say anything at all.

The worst thing is, even if you had something to say to them they wouldn't understand it...

80% of PUGs don't have a mic, don't listen to any tips you can give, mess the spawn points, use the worst combination of equipment for his/her character, die at least once during a wave, etc.

It's very depressing to see those people struggle because they can't take 2 minutes and think about what they're doing. ME3MP was easy even on Platinum when you understand the mechanics, but the brainpower of PUGs makes it look as hard as building a spaceship to travel the universe...

• Members
  • 3,233 posts

I can't wait to find a corner to sit in while my team carry me, and reap the rewards at the very end. Woo... those were some good times!!

Solid_Altair

Solid_Altair
  • Members
  • 154 posts

What the hell is BSN? I ask myself that every time I log in. The acronym stands for BioWare Social Network. This includes the forum which we are currently using, ME3MP N7HQ webpage and most likely the Inquisition HQ app.

As for the matchmaking, I know it has been confirmed that the system will attempt to match to include one of each class for preference per session. However, I would imagine it would also attempt to place people in lobbies by proximity to minimize latency. Not sure which will take priority yet.

Thanks for explaining the BSN thingy. And the news about the matchmaking trying to balance the classes and the latency are great! Thanks a lot!

And although I asked about free roam, I don't really mind it much. To me, RPG MP has its highlight on small group PvE on dungeon crawling. The rest imo is pretty much just seeing people wandering around, while you play an MMO as if it were a single player game, but with lame graphics and terrible latency. I think this formula used by DA:I is ideal. Put people together only when it really matters, otherwise, keep the single player content as actual single player, with good graphics and without latency.

• wwilt13 likes this