How to dodge the Demon Commander instakill [Video]

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

Link.

Its very easy to dodge the instakill move when you know what to look for. Its basically a white/green/black aura that appears a second or two before the DC comes up from the ground. Hope this helps some of you who are having difficulties passing the Demon faction. 

• Beerfish, DarthKaldriss, Benman1964 and 29 others like this

DarthLinebacker

DarthLinebacker
  • Members
  • 143 posts
You, good sir, just earned a like.
  • Mindlog, Shandyr and -PenguinFetish- like this

Mindlog

Mindlog
  • Members
  • 1,907 posts

You, good sir, just earned a like.

My compliments on the proper use of a like. Liked.

• Shandyr and Yvapha like this

Hiero_Glyph

Hiero_Glyph
  • Members
  • 232 posts

It is worth noting that sprinting alone will not always dodge this attack.  Fade Step/Cloak makes it simple to avoid however.  Thank you for providing a video to highlight this for everyone.

alhamel94

alhamel94
  • Members
  • 611 posts

from my experience if you jump while moving it misses you

• kasanza and AutumnWitch like this

Cirvante

Cirvante
  • Members
  • 4,067 posts

It is worth noting that sprinting alone will not always dodge this attack.  Fade Step/Cloak makes it simple to avoid however.  Thank you for providing a video to highlight this for everyone.

If your reaction is just a bit slow and you're getting a bit of lag he will still kill you out of Fade Step as you can see in the beginning of the video with me. I once had him kill me while Fade Stepping with his ranged attack as well.

Grayvisions

Grayvisions
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Lag and body blocking means this shouldn't be an instant-kill to begin with, at least not with such little warning. Save that for a single-player experience, in a multiplayer setting where internets and servers can be just as much an (unavoidable) issue as skill, you don't have insta-kill moves. 

Dude needs a nerf. The end.

• kasanza and CitizenThom like this

waltervolpatto

waltervolpatto
  • Members
  • 1,470 posts
Jump on a pedestal.... done! It look like he cannot OHK if you are on one.

Catastrophy

Catastrophy
  • Members
  • 8,448 posts

Helpful, but the OHKilling must go nevertheless. Especially in the routine difficulty where people try to figure out how things work. The tell isn't really "telling" when you're busy in the last wave.

• Grayvisions and CitizenThom like this

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

Lag and body blocking means this shouldn't be an instant-kill to begin with, at least not with such little warning. Save that for a single-player experience, in a multiplayer setting where internets and servers can be just as much an (unavoidable) issue as skill, you don't have insta-kill moves.

Dude needs a nerf. The end.

What? The templar commander has a similarly damaging move. There is plenty of warning. A good couple of seconds. Ive done this off host multiple times. Demon commander definitely doesnt need a nerf.

Azrus

Azrus
  • Members
  • 201 posts

I find the Demon Commander is a lot easier to dodge if you don't run over to watch your team mate revive the last poor bastard that didn't understand that standing still when the Demon Commander dives underground is a bad idea.  Seriously, had this happen to me twice today.  For the love of Andraste, do not stand next to each other during the Demon Commander fight.  By "each other", I mean "next to me".

It's almost as bad as those guys that want to huddle in the entrance to fight him.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to make the video.  I genuinely hope more of the people I get matched with take the time to watch this.

• DarthKaldriss, iamchaossthought and wertysy like this

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

If your reaction is just a bit slow and you're getting a bit of lag he will still kill you out of Fade Step as you can see in the beginning of the video with me. I once had him kill me while Fade Stepping with his ranged attack as well.

Fade step is very inconsistent off host full stop unfortunately. I much prefer fade cloak for evading.

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

Helpful, but the OHKilling must go nevertheless. Especially in the routine difficulty where people try to figure out how things work. The tell isn't really "telling" when you're busy in the last wave.

Then pay more attention. Its so easy to avoid once you know what to look for. I only get killed by him when my dodge ability is on cooldown now and i personally find the templar boss harder at this point.

Saboteur-6

Saboteur-6
  • Members
  • 619 posts
So for Warriors and Rogues does this mean that Combat Roll / Evade can dodge the attack once you identify the "black cloud" animation?

KalGerion_Beast

KalGerion_Beast
  • Members
  • 1,370 posts

I can confirm evade, as I have done it quite a bit on the hunter.

Im not sure about roll though... something tells me it likely wont cover enough distance, but I may be wrong.  Usually I am charging (katari) like hell once I see the lights.  

Catastrophy

Catastrophy
  • Members
  • 8,448 posts

Then pay more attention. Its so easy to avoid once you know what to look for. I only get killed by him when my dodge ability is on cooldown now and i personally find the templar boss harder at this point.

Not everybody has a dodge ability and I am already paying attention to the stuff that's happening. The DC's skill set is too much BS for routine and new players. The templar boss is a joke - all you need to do is kite him and have ranged pour on him. The only way Templar boss gets you is when you're in a confined area and don't pay attention.

Stinja

Stinja
  • Members
  • 1,943 posts

He doesn't retarget to the Rogue's Evade-decoy thats for sure...

Thanks first poster dude, i'd kinda seen that, but the video helps greatly to spot for the tell, and how long you've got to get away.  i think i was dodging/fade too quick at times.

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

Not everybody has a dodge ability and I am already paying attention to the stuff that's happening. The DC's skill set is too much BS for routine and new players. The templar boss is a joke - all you need to do is kite him and have ranged pour on him. The only way Templar boss gets you is when you're in a confined area and don't pay attention.

If you opt out of a dodge abilty then the penalty for doing so is that you cant dodge in favor of another skill. The player must decide if its worth it to have increased mobility/evasion (it almost always is).

Its also a boss. Its not supposed to be a cakewalk. Its also incredibly easy once you know his skillset. Ive had no issues whatsoever with demons since i bothered to learn how the commander works.

As for the templar, he needs kiting. The templars have 2 strong ranged units, this is what kills you more often than not.

Catastrophy

Catastrophy
  • Members
  • 8,448 posts

If you opt out of a dodge abilty then the penalty for doing so is that you cant dodge in favor of another skill. The player must decide if its worth it to have increased mobility/evasion (it almost always is).

Its also a boss. Its not supposed to be a cakewalk. Its also incredibly easy once you know his skillset. Ive had no issues whatsoever with demons since i bothered to learn how the commander works.

As for the templar, he needs kiting. The templars have 2 strong ranged units, this is what kills you more often than not.

I'm a bit used to having  dodge for free (Mass Effect) so I currently boycot dodge skills in MP. (Love it in SP, though). I had ridiculously easy stage 5 DC encounters. It comes down how good your team/tank is.

Usually I end up with people that don't know how to handle the boss - it might help putting more of the terrors in the earlier wave composition, since he has a similar behaviour.

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

I'm a bit used to having dodge for free (Mass Effect) so I currently boycot dodge skills in MP. (Love it in SP, though). I had ridiculously easy stage 5 DC encounters. It comes down how good your team/tank is.
Usually I end up with people that don't know how to handle the boss - it might help putting more of the terrors in the earlier wave composition, since he has a similar behaviour.

Terrors are everywhere on perilous, on the lower difficulty they aren't really around at all, which kinda sucks given assasins and stalkers are both present a lot for the other two factions.

Terrors are also vulnerable to a lot of status effects, demon commander is immune to pretty much everything.

Apl_Juice

Apl_Juice
  • Members
  • 1,300 posts

Good post. Hopefully more will get the hint sooner or later.

Slight derail, but what's up with the Rage Demon? Do they just damage anyone close by? Because my assassin is stabbing him in the back and sometimes takes random damage from it and other times doesn't.

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

Good post. Hopefully more will get the hint sooner or later.

Slight derail, but what's up with the Rage Demon? Do they just damage anyone close by? Because my assassin is stabbing him in the back and sometimes takes random damage from it and other times doesn't.

Well he is basically on fire so its possible. I havent noticed it though personally.

TheShadyEngineer

TheShadyEngineer
  • Members
  • 1,716 posts

Sprinting away and jumping at the last second also works.. When hosting or on a very good host. On a less than desirable host rubber banding will pull you right back into his kill radius. IMO he does need a nerf. Not to his damage or health like everyone seems to be suggesting (although I agree with the person above me who suggested a damage nerf on ROUTINE to not punish new players as much) but to the kill radius of his insta kill move and AoE panic attack. I don't even want a huge nerf, something like a 0.5m radius reduction will work wonders to compensate for latency.

Cirvante

Cirvante
  • Members
  • 4,067 posts

Fade step is very inconsistent off host full stop unfortunately. I much prefer fade cloak for evading.

Same here. Although when I'm facetanking the Demon Commander with the AW I prefer to negate the stun scream rather than the pop-up when my barrier is full. And I knew the tell, have evaded him many times with bunny hopping thanks to it. But if you miss that split second window then he can wreck you right out of Fade Step off-host.

Maybe I should just take Fade Cloak instead on my Necro. :(

themikefest

themikefest
  • Members
  • 21,570 posts

It also works when facing the greater demons that scream at you like the banshees in ME3