Photo

Elementalist Build Advice

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

The PC Ninja

The PC Ninja
  • Members
  • 67 posts
I've got Stone Fist and Barrier, and I want two fire spells. I was thinking about Immolate and Firstorm, but I'm not really sure. Any advice?

J. Peterman

J. Peterman
  • Members
  • 2,754 posts

Is it possible to invest in Destruction without getting immolate? I didn't think so.

Anyway, it's the only fire ability I've got. I'm a fan.

Adamforever

Adamforever
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Firestorm is a must for a elementalist. It covers wide area and knocks down enemies

mission555

mission555
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Wall of Fire Firestorm maybe? Unless you can count on getting to use eldritch detonator.

JaceNowater

JaceNowater
  • Members
  • 46 posts
I skipped Barrier and got Immolate, Winter's Grasp, Stone Fist, FireStorm. I use Firestorm for large groups and throw Winter's Grasp in the mix for extra damage then a stone fist for shatter. And small groups/ 1v1 is winter followed by stone fist then Immolate for clean up.

Hiero_Glyph

Hiero_Glyph
  • Members
  • 232 posts

Firestorm is greatly overrated.  Casting it pretty much requires Flashpoint unless you are at the final encounter for the wave; the 60s cooldown is simply brutal.  It cannot easily be combined with Chaotic Focus either since casting Barrier would activate Flashpoint, so you would need another Keeper/Elementalist to cast Barrier on you.  The damage is really not that great either since it requires 12s to deal full damage to the area.  Then there is the slight delay when casting so it feels very similar to Fire Mine, not to mention the screen shake which is simply annoying.  I have gotten a 6 kill streak by using it against non-aggro'd groups so it can certainly be effective on its own but it has substantial drawbacks making Wall of Fire and Fire Mine equivalent, if not better, options.  Maybe I am using it wrong but so far I do not find it to be the must-have skill that so many claim it is.

• gay_wardens and russ4ua16 like this

Adamforever

Adamforever
  • Members
  • 36 posts

There's no need for barrier for your elementalist if you have life siphon. I am using it successfuly with no wipes so far. 

The PC Ninja

The PC Ninja
  • Members
  • 67 posts
I wanted barrier for Chaotic Focus. I can't rely on other people do it for since I don't play in a group. Do you disagree with Immolate as well, Glyph?

mission555

mission555
  • Members
  • 164 posts

I just started leveling my elementalist, going for Chaotic Focus as well. Immolate, Wall of Fire, Energy Barrage, Barrier. 

Cooldowns are reasonable, Wall of Fire looks like it does extreme damage (16 seconds of burning for 200%/s if they touch it), Barrier is probably the best spell in the game, Immolate looks like the best short cooldown damage spell in the game. I'm thinking Energy Barrage cause I've got the ring for it. Yap this seems like the best build for consistent damage with barrier.

Hiero_Glyph

Hiero_Glyph
  • Members
  • 232 posts

@The PC Ninja

Immolate is the best skill the Elementalist has.  It has fantastic initial damage with a substantial DoT effect.  It's cost is reasonable at 35 and the cooldown once upgraded is entirely spamable at 12s.  You can even combine it with Chaotic Focus or Flashpoint for even more sustained DPS.  It even works with Pyromancer, which you will unlock if you want Death Siphon.  The only drawback for Immolate is fire immune enemies.  Right now Immolate is the only skill I wouldn't ever skip on the Elementalist; it's just that good.

As for the rest, Barrier is very useful as it provides protection for others and can give you a 50% damage boost on your next fire spell.  Flashfire is far too situational (and expensive) for my tastes.  Stonefist provides some clutch CC and can detonate slept, frozen or paralyzed enemies; the damage isn't bad either and it can be upgraded to cover a 4m area.  Energy Barrage is limited to a single target and while effective it doesn't really synergize all that well with the Elementalist.  Wall of Fire, Fire Mine, and Firestorm are great skills but each have their own benefits and disadvantages.  I'm still not entirely sure which of them is worth having because each performs different roles.

Lastly, Winter's Grasp provides some great CC and can be used to combo with Stonefist since it freezes the primary enemy.  Ice Mine is an alternative to Winter's Grasp that can negate armor entirely and is slightly more manageable due to the cooldown and casting cost; unfortunately it deals no damage on its own.  Lightning Bolt can paralyze and deal quite a bit of damage but I haven't found a situation where I would want to use it over another skill; it's not cheap either and the cooldown is too long to make it an effective CC.  Mobility skills are for another topic but they are very difficult to fit in with just 4 abilities.

I'm still learning a lot about the Elementalist but they are one of the most versatile classes in the game, which makes selecting just 4 abilities (well, Immolate + 3 others) so difficult.

mission555

mission555
  • Members
  • 164 posts

imo Flashfire, Winter's Grasp, Frost Mine and Lightning bolt are bad. 

Single target CC is a waste of a skillslot, especially on as high as a CD as they come. 

gay_wardens

gay_wardens
  • Banned
  • 666 posts

Single target CC is a waste of a skillslot, especially on as high as a CD as they come. 

Jesus Christ this really makes me hope and prey there are at least a couple giant HP sponge bosses in story mode.

Don't know man... you can upgrade it to shock the enemies around the target, and it's amazing for stopping enemy mages and assassins, not to mention defending yourself.

mission555

mission555
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Jesus Christ this really makes me hope and prey there are at least a couple giant HP sponge bosses in story mode.

Don't know man... you can upgrade it to shock the enemies around the target, and it's amazing for stopping enemy mages and assassins, not to mention defending yourself.

Sure it has its uses but there's other options available, single target low CD spells (which synergises with your passive) or multitarget `spells with way more damage. What's a Lightning Bolt compared to Chain Lightning? That's what 300 weapon damage versus 1500?

The PC Ninja

The PC Ninja
  • Members
  • 67 posts
Thanks for all the tips, people. Much appreciated.

Tony208

Tony208
  • Members
  • 1,378 posts

Prefer fire mine over fire wall. It's great for starting off a fight or just nuking someone and you can cast it on yourself to cc and kill anyone in melee range. Does most of dmg as burst compared to firewall dot.

mission555

mission555
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Prefer fire mine over fire wall. It's great for starting off a fight or just nuking someone and you can cast it on yourself to cc and kill anyone in melee range. Does most of dmg as burst compared to firewall dot.

It's single target right?

Anyways my theory behind my setup was that juggling two offensive spells (Immolate, Energy Barrage) is already heavy enough on the mana, another active DPS skill is out of place, rather the utility and passive damage Fire Wall offers makes it attractive. Especially if you're on Perilous and pulling packs around corners and such. The constant Fear and ticking damage is just really good.

Tony208

Tony208
  • Members
  • 1,378 posts

It's single target right?

Small area like immolate

Tang McGame

Tang McGame
  • Members
  • 145 posts

I agree with all except Winter's Grasp.  It can be upgraded for an AOE slow and damage, making it a very efficient spell (albeit with a long cooldown), and frozen is one of the better CC options that still work against many very challenging enemies.  I'd call Winter's Grasp a staple for any class that has it on their list.

mission555

mission555
  • Members
  • 164 posts

I agree with all except Winter's Grasp.  It can be upgraded for an AOE slow and damage, making it a very efficient spell (albeit with a long cooldown), and frozen is one of the better CC options that still work against many very challenging enemies.  I'd call Winter's Grasp a staple for any class that has it on their list.

Winter's Grasp costs 65 mana and it's only 200% damage.. If you have it in your rotation of two offensive spells you're losing out on massive damage potential (see my build then take Winter's Grasp where I have Energy Barrage),if it's for situational use there's simply better spells available like Fire Wall and Fire Storm. 

PS Like I imagine you do I still hold warm feelings towards Winter's Grasp from DA1 as well.

silentwindfr

silentwindfr
  • Members
  • 74 posts

- barrier, survivability and help for the group (it's still a teamwork)

- stone fist, CC + a nice spiritual damage in AoE if you upgrade it.

- Immolate, nice damage + very strong dot, by far the most powerfull spell of the elementalist, it's easy to use it 2 time in row and simply burn down enemy with it.

- fire storm, even with the big recast can often be launch often, mostly with the passive that reduce CD. and if you have the proc of 2 spell, you can place 2 of them, it's an amazing control skill and the damage are more than decent with a good staff.

for the rest, sadly they are too week and have too much flaws for be really good. Winter Graps can be resist by a lot of the most annoying monster, like the shadow from the red templar or the ice spirit of the demon.

i advice too, to take stormcaller and siphon for get some nice help.

Rhaine

Rhaine
  • Members
  • 184 posts

I use the same as Silentwindfr also, feels like an ideal setup.

mission555

mission555
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Small area like immolate

I see, it's a really good skill. Low mana cost. I'm taking it over Arcane Barrage as my second dps skill, imo it doesn't replace Fire Wall but is a great addition to it. Or it would be if it weren't such a pain to land it. It's terrible. I really don't see the appeal. 

The two most efficient spells mana wise also happen to be the strongest. 

Catastrophy

Catastrophy
  • Members
  • 8,448 posts

I've got three skills with the aim feature - I can not recommend it. I'm more busy finding the cursor than doing spell casting.

My former build had Winter's Grasp, Stone Fist, Firewall and the electric barrage thing and felt much better.

Cirvante

Cirvante
  • Members
  • 4,067 posts

I use Barrier, Wall of Flames, Firestorm and Frost Step. This build seems to benefit my team the most and I have successfully clutched twice with it against Red Templars on stage 5 after my team went down (threatening). Wall of Flames does 3.200% weapon damage over 16 seconds to any enemy that passes through it and most mooks won't actively avoid it in my experience. After a while you will know when enemies will get aggro and rush you while you're looting a treasure room, so you can just place a Wall of Flames on a chokepoint they have to pass and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Firestorm is one of the best CC spells in the game and Barrier means that you can either alternate Barrier with a Keeper, or even replace one. Frost Step finally has saved my arse so many times that I will always spec into it on most mages (except AW). You can even hit the same enemy twice once you get the hang of it. You can also switch Fade Step for Immolate or Stone Fist if you want a direct damage spell instead.

Ashmomo

Ashmomo
  • Members
  • 17 posts

I'm in the minority probably but I don't like Firestorm. The lack of a snap-to-target makes it too slow for my tastes. I usually run with Immolate, Fade Cloak, Fire Wall or Fire Mine (depends on party comp) and Stonefist.