Photo

Dragon Age Inquisition Tips: How to Increase DPS by 50% With Two Handed Weapons

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

Mission555 mentioned this in a comment so I made a video showcasing it. 

Link

• LemurFromTheId and Cirvante like this

mission555

mission555
  • Members
  • 164 posts

For the record. What's happening here is animation cancelling, by pressing sprint right after your hit registers on the enemy you break off the attack animation and you can start a new one straight away, leading to faster attacks.

All credit to nonsequitrist.

• -PenguinFetish- likes this

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

We've rediscovered reload canceling for sword/ax swinging?

This is most excellent awesomesauce. :D

• PurpGuy1, andy_3_913, epsilon285 and 1 other like this

Cirvante

Cirvante
  • Members
  • 4,067 posts

We've rediscovered reload canceling for sword/ax swinging?

This is most excellent awesomesauce. :D

Can't believe I actually joked about it before.

• PurpGuy1, DragonRacer, Broganisity and 2 others like this

J. Peterman

J. Peterman
  • Members
  • 2,754 posts

I can't condone this cheating.

• Rolenka, Cette, andy_3_913 and 3 others like this

killsion

killsion
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Animation canceling isn't exactly intended...

Dorje Sylas

Dorje Sylas
  • Members
  • 1,496 posts

I will have to try this on the controller setups. Click Left stick to win?

Scorpio989

Scorpio989
  • Members
  • 87 posts

This has been known since day 1.

• Echoic likes this

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

Animation canceling isn't exactly intended...

Nor is reload canceling but everyone still did that.

Dorje Sylas

Dorje Sylas
  • Members
  • 1,496 posts

And it was tastily approved in Mass Effect 3. It was actually left in from Mass Effect 2, instead of being fixed.

Catastrophy

Catastrophy
  • Members
  • 8,448 posts

Reported

• PurpGuy1 likes this

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

Reported

:lol:  Have fun with that.

• Melkezine likes this

veramis

veramis
  • Members
  • 1,956 posts

Animation canceling through use of movement exists in many games, and many abilities and actions are deliberately made cancel-able so it appears more fluid and responsive to user input, i.e. following up an attack with another attack or movement without going through the entire animation delay of the first attack.

Using movement for animation canceling might be unintended sometimes, but it is hardly cheating in this game. You won't get much out of animation canceling basic attacks in this game because its all about spamming abilities, constant movement, and situational awareness, NOT standing still and trying to get a weak attack to keep bonking at an enemy faster.

While we're on the topic of animation canceling, shift and jump work for many different abilities, movements, and even animations from being hit, and can save your life from all the clunky @$$ animations and movements in this game. There's so many ways to animation cancel that you should get an achievement for doing it, like canceling knockdown animation by reviving a teammate 20 times for an animated GIF portrait of a katari spamming basic attack.

Shadohz

Shadohz
  • Members
  • 1,662 posts

I call hax!!! (in absence of Argent)

xlm1994

xlm1994
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Interesting, but not very useful, since in very few occasions will I actually use 2-hand basic attacks.

But if it works on arcane warrior...

mission555

mission555
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Interesting, but not very useful, since in very few occasions will I actually use 2-hand basic attacks.

But if it works on arcane warrior...

Reaver then?

xlm1994

xlm1994
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Reaver then?

why want to be faster when you are fast as reaver?

Broganisity

Broganisity
  • Members
  • 5,336 posts

Legionnaire makes great use of this with Shield Wall-Cancelling.

Stinja

Stinja
  • Members
  • 1,943 posts

I will have to try this on the controller setups. Click Left stick to win?

It will be far better on PC-master-race, as they can just do a macro:  press and hold button, atta-cancel -> atta -> cancel -> attack...

Much like ME3MP weapons like the mattock, still good on consoles, but an autofire-macro made it properly good on PC.

Still useful to know.

PvtNiss

PvtNiss
  • Members
  • 125 posts

Ye let me make a macro so I don't have to tap shift every second when I (never) play Katari. Success.

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

Ye let me make a macro so I don't have to tap shift every second when I (never) play Katari. Success.

Works on reaver too when you arent spamming dragon rage. Dunno how bioware feels about macros though so i personally wouldnt risk it.

Ghanima

Ghanima
  • Members
  • 22 posts

investigating macro user would be pointless instead they could simply fix the problem in less than 1 min by disabling the sprint action....

or they could investigate real cheaters and ban them all!

Good player will always perform the combination of keystrokes needed to gain an edge in every game, macro or not...

DarthLinebacker

DarthLinebacker
  • Members
  • 143 posts

Works on reaver too when you arent spamming dragon rage. Dunno how bioware feels about macros though so i personally wouldnt risk it.

So Dragon Rage/Spirit Blade have been tested and do not get canceled by the sprint button(or don't have a benefit if it does work)?

Cirvante

Cirvante
  • Members
  • 4,067 posts

So Dragon Rage/Spirit Blade have been tested and do not get canceled by the sprint button(or don't have a benefit if it does work)?

I know that the sprint button doesn't cancel Spirit Blade's long anymations. The only reliable way I have found to cancel the animation is jumping. This allows you a bit more mobility during combat. The second strike is the easiest to cancel, followed by the third and the first.

I guess you can see me do it in Penguin's elementalist video if you pay attention to it.

• DarthLinebacker likes this

Melkezine

Melkezine
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Actually, I belive reload cancelling was intended, iirc.
I seem to remember a devpost where they mentioned that it was an intended feature of that game.
Of course, that could be complete BS, and they didn't really care enough to remove it.
The old "it's a feature, not a bug" routine.