Photo

Elemental Vanguard (Keeper guide/Video example)

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

Abilities 

- Barrier (provides additional health bar which must be depleted before you are damaged. 4m AoE, 24s cooldown. 50 mana cost. Upgrade reduces cooldown by 4s when barriers expire)

- Fade Step (Evade ability. 2s Duration, 12s cooldown. Upgrade grants 300% weapon damage and 8s chill when passing through enemies)

- Disruption Field (Slows and weakens enemies. Enemies in a 3m AoE have a 50% speed reduction for 10 seconds. 24s cooldown, 65 mana cost. Upgrade reduces speed by 99% for 5s)

- Chain Lightning (250% weapon damage, 8s shock, up to 4 hits, 5m arc range, 8s cooldown, 50 mana cost. Upgrade gives +4m arc range and 2 additional hits)

Mandatory Passives

- Strength of Spirits (50% barrier bonus)

- Guardian Spirit (Barrier activates when you are badly injured)   

- Gathering Storm (0.5s cooldown reduction per attack) 

Unlock Order

Immediately grab Fade step upgraded (level 4). Get Upgraded Disruption Field (level 10).Get Guardian Spirit, Upgrade Chain Lightning and get Gathering Storm (level 16). Fill in rest of points as you desire. 

Strategy

The main aim of this build is to provide an aggressive support role for your team. While it is possible for you to stand at the back of your team and spam barriers over and over again, I find that its much better to contribute to your teams DPS and crowd control by allowing Fade Step and Disruption Field to become offensive rather than defensive abilities. 

First off, barrier your team before the charge. Safety first. Next, charge straight into the middle of the enemy group and cast Disruption field. Remain in the bubble. You will be immune to all ranged fire and the melee units will be frozen in time. In the event of a melee unit or two not being frozen, your barrier can absorb the hits. As soon as fade step has come off cooldown, charge back out into the flanks and cast chain lightning. Keep barrier off cooldown so that you can use this on your team if they run into trouble. Fade step can now be used to evade enemies and you should fulfill a more traditional Keeper role of casting auto attacks, barrier when necessary (dont just spam it) and chain lightning. 

Disruption Field will freeze every single enemy except Behemoths, Pride Demons, Templar Commander and Demon Commander. Us this to trivialize Guardians, enemy rogues and high value targets in general.

When it comes to zone 5, keep your team alive. Don't pull any heroics. Your role is to ensure that your teams barriers are topped up and that all 4 of you stay alive. Do not under any circumstances get into LoS of Archers, because you will die. And when you die, your team will follow suit if you are their lifeline.

• VeeJ likes this

Hiero_Glyph

Hiero_Glyph
  • Members
  • 232 posts

The problem is that Disruption Field will not always activate and keep the enemies within its radius frozen (-99% movement speed), or it will delay the freeze effect for a couple of seconds allowing enemies to attack or simply walk out of its radius.  I do like how it will stop projectiles but that does have a drawback since they will still follow their trajectory and hit anything along the path once the field expires.  It is funny to watch someone die when they thought they were safe when a stream of arrows is suddenly released.  Anyway, Disruption Field was amazing when affected bosses but now it is far too inconsistent.  Your build was my previous one though so it is effective, just nowhere near as useful as it once was.

SicMirx

SicMirx
  • Members
  • 126 posts
Pretty much my build in progress now. I tried Stasis Field? first instead of Disruption. I was like "Meh."

I also don't upgrade Step. Let alone immediately, like you say. I do prioritize an evasive ability on almost all my classes coming from lvl. 1, but Step just doesn't shine as a skill to me upgraded.

It is funny seeing everyone play the roles of lambs to slaughter with the DC and I be a lowly level 3/4 dancing around that devil because of an evasive.

Reginald Cousins

Reginald Cousins
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Shows off a L20 keeper build in threatening.  Proclaims it being the best while struggling with either friends or pugs.  Please, don't become another xxSebastianxx.  Don't get full of yourself now please.

DF is a waste of a skill.

Edit:  Oh you name all your build videos "best."   I guess it draws in the ppl for the view counts.

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

Shows off a L20 keeper build in threatening.  Proclaims it being the best while struggling with either friends or pugs.  Please, don't become another xxSebastianxx.  Don't get full of yourself now please.

What on earth are you talking about. Its the best for my playstyle and in my opinion, so I label them as such. Notice the playlist description. See how it states 'imo', which stands for In My Opinion. As I have said several times over the course of writing these builds, I play threatening because of the interest of time. Easier to chain clips, easier to pug successfully, easier to show off each characters strengths without being gibbed across the map by an archer. No struggling at all. All these waves I cleared without dying once. DF is not a waste of a skill.

Becoming another sebastian? What are you smoking? Ive written up 12 guides for each and every character in the game documenting how I play said characters. I dont drop links in broken english desperately trying to get views on youtube. I even write the builds in the description, write them in plain text posts on forums and dont commentate so people who dont want to watch a video dont need too in order to get the specific information. View counts mean absolutely nothing for me. I wrote ME3MP guides back when I was getting 300 views per video tops. None of my content is monetized either so there is literally no incentive to use clickbait titles and 1000 tags.

What exactly have you done thats contributed anything to this community? Absolutely nothing

• Drogonion and PurpGuy1 like this

PurpGuy1

PurpGuy1
  • Banned
  • 804 posts

Edit:  Oh you name all your build videos "best."   I guess it draws in the ppl for the view counts.

Even if you don't particularly like what someone else is doing with a class, it's good to know what kinds of different builds people are using with them so you get a broader view of the big picture.

I don't use this build on my Keeper but I appreciate the info.  Thx Penguin

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

Pretty much my build in progress now. I tried Stasis Field? first instead of Disruption. I was like "Meh."

I also don't upgrade Step. Let alone immediately, like you say. I do prioritize an evasive ability on almost all my classes coming from lvl. 1, but Step just doesn't shine as a skill to me upgraded.

It is funny seeing everyone play the roles of lambs to slaughter with the DC and I be a lowly level 3/4 dancing around that devil because of an evasive.

1k crits for fade step upgraded is really good imo. It also chill enemies it touches which is another good trait to have. 

• J. Peterman likes this

knownastherat

knownastherat
  • Members
  • 625 posts

While build priorities differ I would not underestimate Frost Step. 300% weapon damage is more than Chain Lightning. From my experience, there are quite a few situations when enemy is rushing me and/or is low on health and Frost Step will just kill them. No mana, low cd, evade .. what else to ask?

Reginald Cousins

Reginald Cousins
  • Members
  • 119 posts

What on earth are you talking about. Its the best for my playstyle and in my opinion, so I label them as such. Notice the playlist description. See how it states 'imo', which stands for In My Opinion. As I have said several times over the course of writing these builds, I play threatening because of the interest of time. Easier to chain clips, easier to pug successfully, easier to show off each characters strengths without being gibbed across the map by an archer. No struggling at all. All these waves I cleared without dying once. DF is not a waste of a skill.

Becoming another sebastian? What are you smoking? Ive written up 12 guides for each and every character in the game documenting how I play said characters. I dont drop links in broken english desperately trying to get views on youtube. I even write the builds in the description, write them in plain text posts on forums and dont commentate so people who dont want to watch a video dont need too in order to get the specific information.

What exactly have you done thats contributed anything to this community? Absolutely nothing

Yea man I am going to NOTICE that "imo" in your playlist description.  Congrats on linking my profile.  I dont need to grab attention by starting my own threads to contribute.  Obviously that method is beyond you since you went thru the trouble of screenshoting my profile because I've gotten you riled up with the sebastian comment.  You two are the same.  Deal with it.

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

Yea man I am going to NOTICE that "imo" in your playlist description.  Congrats on linking my profile.  I dont need to grab attention by starting my own threads to contribute.  Obviously that method is beyond you since you went thru the trouble of screenshoting my profile because I've gotten you riled up with the sebastian comment.  You two are the same.  Deal with it.

If you click on my youtube channel then the description is there for all to see. Sorry your reading comprehension is poor. If you genuinely think that my guides are the same as boasting about a half assed arcane warrior solo in broken english then I feel very sorry for you and your perception of reality. But please, by all means, keep bumping this thread with your nonsensical gibberish. You are literally supporting me, my post and my youtube channels view count by responding to me. Oh and the link to your profile was just a proof that you have contributed absolutely nothing useful to this community, nothing more. It took two clicks to do. Hardly effort. 

• VeeJ likes this

Reginald Cousins

Reginald Cousins
  • Members
  • 119 posts

If you click on my youtube channel then the description is there for all to see. Sorry your reading comprehension is poor. If you genuinely think that my guides are the same as boasting about a half assed arcane warrior solo in broken english then I feel very sorry for you and your perception of reality. But please, by all means, keep bumping this thread with your nonsensical gibberish. You are literally supporting me, my post and my youtube channels view count by responding to me. Oh and the link to your profile was just a proof that you have contributed absolutely nothing useful to this community, nothing more. It took two clicks to do. Hardly effort. 

LOL.  Here's another free bump.  God knows you want it.  Bye Sebastian.

Hiero_Glyph

Hiero_Glyph
  • Members
  • 232 posts

FYI, @ 2:10 of the video is a great example of why Stasis Field is not worth it since the enemies just walk right out of it.  There are several other times during the video where the enemies inside the field simply walk out or even attack you while inside of it.  Sadly, Disruption Field is currently outclassed by Veilstrike, Static Cage and even Energy Barrage.

knownastherat

knownastherat
  • Members
  • 625 posts

Tried Disruption Field in PUGs pre-patch. Granted I did not excel, was not placing it and timing it well, I was told on comms I was "schlecht" Keeper :)

Cirvante

Cirvante
  • Members
  • 4,067 posts

Tried Disruption Field in PUGs pre-patch. Granted I did not excel, was not placing it and timing it well, I was told on comms I was "schlecht" Keeper :)

Germans are terrible people.

PurpGuy1

PurpGuy1
  • Banned
  • 804 posts

Germans are terrible people.

i popped schlecht into a translater, it really wan't anything terrible

J. Peterman

J. Peterman
  • Members
  • 2,754 posts

Will have to watch this later when I've got some time. I did opt out of disruptuion field, and went with Veil Strike (I like it).

I like the fact that it isn't focused on just casting barrier. Can't think of anything more boring.

Catastrophy

Catastrophy
  • Members
  • 8,448 posts

Well, I have tried static cage now (as a replacement for DF). All I can say is that I immediately respecced my Inquisitor in SP.

JRandall0308

JRandall0308
  • Members
  • 1,670 posts

Static Cage: for when you spot a Nug too far away to melee!

(I kid, I kid. Static Cage is a great power.)

Catastrophy

Catastrophy
  • Members
  • 8,448 posts

Will have to watch this later when I've got some time. I did opt out of disruptuion field, and went with Veil Strike (I like it).

I like the fact that it isn't focused on just casting barrier. Can't think of anything more boring.

How does Veil Strike actually work? InstaCast? Targetted on enemy or target circle? Does it CC? I have been eyeing it for the weakening effect.

J. Peterman

J. Peterman
  • Members
  • 2,754 posts

How does Veil Strike actually work? InstaCast? Targetted on enemy or target circle? Does it CC? I have been eyeing it for the weakening effect.

Just like barrier.

I normally open up with chain lightning, followed by veil strike, and it puts most mooks to sleep.

veramis

veramis
  • Members
  • 1,956 posts
Catastrophe, it is an aoe you must place, pretty big, about 2 second animation. Applies weaken for a long time, no damage i think.

As for postpatch df vs static cage, i lean towards sc. Sc has a nice shock atk to any mobs hit jn the cage. I had duration bonus for both and prepatch df let me permafreeze bosses whoch was dumbly op, postpatch could keep chokepoint small mobs mostly frozen with a few escapees, but w sc i can almost perma cage all small mobs at chokepoints and get the mobs killed very fast with paralyze and shocks.

Keeper is def still a very strong class just no longer a contender for strongest team centric class wo df bug

Catastrophy

Catastrophy
  • Members
  • 8,448 posts

Just like barrier.

I normally open up with chain lightning, followed by veil strike, and it puts most mooks to sleep.

Haha! Nightmares - here I come! (Soon, after another respec, I guess)

J. Peterman

J. Peterman
  • Members
  • 2,754 posts

Haha! Nightmares - here I come! (Soon, after another respec, I guess)

I didn't know about the Nightmare combo until after I promoted. I like the play style with the abilities I've got now, so I'll stick with it.

Catastrophy

Catastrophy
  • Members
  • 8,448 posts

I didn't know about the Nightmare combo until after I promoted. I like the play style with the abilities I've got now, so I'll stick with it.

So far, i think Keeper is a very versatile kit with different viable build options. And they play a bit different, too.

J. Peterman

J. Peterman
  • Members
  • 2,754 posts

So far, i think Keeper is a very versatile kit with different viable build options. And they play a bit different, too.

I'll have to agree. Anything other than spamming barrier and barrier alone though.

Finally got a chance to watch the video. I like it. I'll have to try DF for myself at some point.