Animation Cancelling Tutorial for up to 65% DPS increase

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

Hi all,

Ive run some tests for animation cancelling to find the sweet spot for the greatest increase in DPS. Auto attack animations can be cancelled and stopped by tapping the sprint button. Immediately attacking after tapping shift will increase your DPS by up to 65% in some cases.

Test videos are here: https://www.youtube....IfHOb3X8Cgywj3Y

1 Handed Swords: Cancel after the first strike for up to 65% DPS increase.

Axes/Maces: Hold the 'move forward' button and cancel halfway through the second swing to gain up to 65% DPS increase.

2 Handed Weapons: Cancel after the first strike for up to 50% DPS increase.

Staves: Cancel after slamming your staff down at the end of the auto attack cycle for up to 20% DPS increase.

Daggers: The last attack in the cycle uses both daggers, negating any DPS gain from cancelling.

Bows: Cannot be cancelled.

Hope this helps some of you!

• DanakV, stysiaq, PurpGuy1 and 6 others like this

Torkelight

Torkelight
  • Members
  • 668 posts

I highly recommend to practice this. I find it especially usefull while wielding 2H-weapons.

Credit2team

Credit2team
  • Members
  • 5,582 posts

but if your target is stationary and you're moving forward...

DanakV

DanakV
  • Members
  • 87 posts

That's a great video that shows the benefits of animation cancelling (and when to do so) in a very straightforward manner.  Well done.

akots1

akots1
  • Members
  • 1,220 posts

2 Handed Weapons: Cancel after the first strike for up to 50% DPS increase.

That is pretty difficult, at least for me, and does not always work well. Do you attack with R key or LMB? Do you hold either while pressing L-Shift?

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

That is pretty difficult, at least for me, and does not always work well. Do you attack with R key or LMB? Do you hold either while pressing L-Shift?

I hold LMB and tap shift

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

but if your target is stationary and you're moving forward...

It shouldnt matter assuming you are locked on.

BoogieManFL

BoogieManFL
  • Members
  • 240 posts

I hope this gets fixed. Things like this are just engine exploits.

• BelnickISMYNICKNAME likes this

Geth Supremacy

Geth Supremacy
  • Members
  • 3,660 posts

thats a pretty substantial increase.  not bad at all.

Cette

Cette
  • Members
  • 349 posts

Didn't like the the extreme canceling in ME3.  Don't much approve of it here either.  Doesn't matter though I'm sure it's once again a "clever use of game mechanics" rather than an exploit.  Bla bla bla it's a mechanic in fighting/spectacle fighter/certain fps games etc etc.

People will do what they can to gain an edge and it being coop rather than competitive it's not worth getting too ruffled about.  Still someone went to all that trouble to make attack chain animations and you're gonna make them cry.

I will however silently judge while not using it myself.  In the future I mean not now.  no retroactive silence.

• Gustave Flowbert and luism like this

akots1

akots1
  • Members
  • 1,220 posts

It shouldnt matter assuming you are locked on.

There is a considerable problem with that also, I mean with locking on target. It is obviously crooked in a laggy game and also, to lock, you have to point the cursor to actually hit the target. As you point, you need to move the camera which means you need to hold RMB or use a macro. In either case, cursor actually disappears and sometimes reappears quite randomly for me. Also, cursor is extremely small and hard to see. Which does not make any type of locking easier. Any tips?

akots1

akots1
  • Members
  • 1,220 posts

I hold LMB and tap shift

This works but only if you are locked on target. Otherwise, it does continue to swing as there is some delay. It makes no sense for AOE-based 2H weapon. Maybe I need to check some latency on keyboard settings. Or maybe I'm doing it a split second too late when that second swing has already actually started.

akots1

akots1
  • Members
  • 1,220 posts

Well, stunlock is there for a reason as well, I guess.

Cirvante

Cirvante
  • Members
  • 4,067 posts

Nice cheating, bro.

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

Didn't like the the extreme canceling in ME3.  Don't much approve of it here either. 

I will however silently judge while not using it myself.  In the future I mean not now.  no retroactive silence.

Animation cancelling exists in almost every competitive game ever made to prevent people from being stuck in animation if they dont want to be. Its ridiculous to suggest that this is cheating.

There is a considerable problem with that also, I mean with locking on target. It is obviously crooked in a laggy game and also, to lock, you have to point the cursor to actually hit the target. As you point, you need to move the camera which means you need to hold RMB or use a macro. In either case, cursor actually disappears and sometimes reappears quite randomly for me. Also, cursor is extremely small and hard to see. Which does not make any type of locking easier. Any tips?

I use tab to lock on. Its the default lock on button for PC users and ive found it helps me a lot with targeting and switching targets.

• akots1 likes this

akots1

akots1
  • Members
  • 1,220 posts

I use tab to lock on. Its the default lock on button for PC users and ive found it helps me a lot with targeting and switching targets.

Thanks, that might actually do the job!

Torkelight

Torkelight
  • Members
  • 668 posts

Thanks, that might actually do the job!

I usually use camera angle to select targets. If far away I use the cursor. And sometimes I use TAB (I dont find "tabbing" through opponents particularly accurate as it doesnt always give you the target you want). Even in thight, crazy fights selecting enemies with the camera angle is quite accurate. In those fights you usually just want to kill whatevers close to you. Also sometimes while using 2H, especially Sulevin, it really doesnt matter much. You either hit everything in the vicinity or you get a PotA proc so everything just appears right in front of you.

As for this not working you must be doing something wrong. You can just hold LMB and press shift every time an attack has hit. It's actually quite simple. It is also valuable to cancel an attack if you have already killed something and you need to move on to the next target.

Cette

Cette
  • Members
  • 349 posts

Animation cancelling exists in almost every competitive game ever made to prevent people from being stuck in animation if they dont want to be. Its ridiculous to suggest that this is cheating.

A.  I'd kindly prefer not to be included in the outright calling you a cheater for it crowd.  I've at least a bit more nuance to it than that. 

IE it's only cheating if the dev's say it is and I don't consider all canceling exploitative.  I do however consider doing it absolutely constantly for DPS gains to be hella cheap.  Because doubling the fire rate of the Krogan shotgun balanced around having one shot per clip via a rebound button was totally the intended use of this feature being included am I right?

It's an old argument and I don't have the energy for it anymore.  Just do what you're gonna do.  I do reserve the right to be sullen about it though.

For further angry old man fist shaking see my stance on cool shots in Mechwarrior Online.

B.  It makes it harder to judge silently when being actively quoted with responses.

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

It makes it harder to judge silently when being actively quoted with responses.

You aren't judging silently, you are doing it loud and clearly by posting two comments on the matter.

I make videos and guide purely for the purpose of helping others get better at the game. Increasing your DPS via the use of actions that are available in the base game is not cheating, glitching, cheap or anything you may want to call it. Its in the game, so its there to be used. Just like FBWGG was there to be used. Just like Pizza running was there to be used. Just like Line of Sight pulling is there to be used. Just like double full draw/hidden blades/stone fist is there to be used. 

If things are present in the game, they are labeled features until addressed (at least thats according to bioware historically). 

• Kjubaran likes this

Cette

Cette
  • Members
  • 349 posts

Just like the box of shame was there to be used?  At least until they actually did something about it?

And yes I'm well aware of their previous stance on what is and isn't a feature.  Especially them being unlikely to change something that would take so much effort.  Anything that's so baked in you can't fix it is a feature yes?

All I'm saying is I'll call you cheap and intent on ruining the spirit of the game and you'll tell me it's all perfectly legitimate and you're helping people and neither of us will get anywhere.

So I've said my piece and you yours.  As I doubt either of of us are likely to change our minds on the matter probably best to agree to disagree.

Besides there'll be more along to outright call you a cheater for you to shout down.  Something you'll note I never did.  Your name has led to people posting Bloom County on this forum.  Let's not ruin that form of joy with hard feelings aye?

Cirvante

Cirvante
  • Members
  • 4,067 posts

IE it's only cheating if the dev's say it is and I don't consider all canceling exploitative.  I do however consider doing it absolutely constantly for DPS gains to be hella cheap.  Because doubling the fire rate of the Krogan shotgun balanced around having one shot per clip via a rebound button was totally the intended use of this feature being included am I right?

Actually, yes. There was an old thread on BSN back from the ME2 days where one of the devs talked about intentionally putting in reload-canceling and using it on the Claymore. While the easy use of medi-gel for reload-canceling on PC in ME3 might not have been intended, cutting the Claymore's rate of fire in half probably was. How else would you explain the slight damage buff it recieved from the balance changes? They weren't shy about nerfing overpowered weapons into the ground, as the Falcon and Krysae aptly demonstrated.

konfeta

konfeta
  • Members
  • 810 posts

Staves: Cancel after slamming your staff down at the end of the auto attack cycle for up to 20% DPS increase.

I am curious, have you tried canceling after the third auto attack? It seems to significantly slow down the animation after that point to build up for the twirl move, so I wonder if that wouldn't be the better point to use.

LandarenRNS

LandarenRNS
  • Members
  • 18 posts

for 1h tanks just hit then tap block instead of sprint

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

I am curious, have you tried canceling after the third auto attack? It seems to significantly slow down the animation after that point to build up for the twirl move, so I wonder if that wouldn't be the better point to use.

Yes. The percentage gain is higher because of the 3 projectiles it casts. If you can predict you will kill the enemy before reaching the slam, then canceling on the third shot is better. 

akots1

akots1
  • Members
  • 1,220 posts

... And yes I'm well aware of their previous stance on what is and isn't a feature.  Especially them being unlikely to change something that would take so much effort.  Anything that's so baked in you can't fix it is a feature yes?

Animation-shmanimation, I don't want to watch that for 10000 times again and again, I'd like to do what I want! Give me back control of my character, at least to some limited extent. There is enough animation in this game already. It is too long and too frequent. At least some things can be interrupted. As I understand it, for console people it is normal but on PC, master race is used to be able to actually control at least some things and not go through prescribed sequence of 99 cosmetic movements before something is happening and your button mashing does produce a result. Too much ceremony for too little action.

BW and some other computer developers as well are fascinated with the whole animation idea for some reason and do like to frustrate the players with stunlocks, knockdowns and instakill bs. So, IMO, canceling 1% of that said bs is good. BTW, getting up from knockdown is way tooo slow. Can this be cancelled with some kind of attack? Abilities are greyed out though.

And I want this maul to go down and down again and don't want to swing it sideways!