Photo

How to Farm Poison Kills [Video Guide]

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

After seeing some comments and discussion of how to get the Exterminator challenges done, I made a guide to how I did it. 

Transcript

Hello and welcome to my guide to farming poison kills. 

There are three challenges which can be obtained by getting kills using poison. Unfortunately this challenge is pretty difficult and long winded, as enemies need to actually be killed by the poison itself, not just be poisoned when they die. 

The title, portrait and Banner for poison kills look like this. The title is for 500 kills, the Banner is for 1000 kills and the portrait is for 2500 kills. With this guide, you should average around 100 poison kills a match, meaning you can get the portrait in around 25 games.

First off, the build. Ill be using an Alchemist, specialized in poison skills. You will need to be at least level 10 to be able to do this, which is pretty low considering. for reference, you can get a character to level 10 by completing a single perilous run, or 3 threatening runs. 

The skills you will be using are Stealth, Knockout Bomb, Poison weapons and poison cloud. Only Poison weapons and poison cloud need upgrading. 

The passives you will  want are Explosive Toxin to create additional poison clouds and Alchemy Mastery to increase poison duration. Its worth noting that only 1 explosive toxin cloud can be active at a time, killing additional poisoned enemies wont trigger another one to appear until the first one has expired. 

Now, you will want to select the Orlesian Chateau for this on Routine difficulty. The Chateau has lots of doorways you can use to break the line of slight of aggroed enemies, which is vital for this strategy to work. You will want to use a heal on kill ring if possible aswell, though this isn't mandatory.

You will also want to be fighting the Venatori or Red Templars for this. If you roll demons, quit and reroll. The most common enemy in the demon faction is the Wraith, which happen to be immune to poison, so the potential number of kills is greatly reduced. 

When starting a zone, just waltz all the way over to the last section, aggroing everything along the way, the double back on yourself, so everything meets around about the middle. try and make sure  there is a doorway nearby when you do meet, so you can break line of sight of ranged units who would otherwise **** all over your poison party. 

When enemies are clumped up enough, use stealth to make them stop whatever they were doing. then throw a knockout bomb to put them all to sleep and activate poison weapons. Neither of these skills will break stealth, so you have plenty of time to wriggle your way to the center of the group and drop the poison cloud on them. 

Due to the poison cloud not actually dealing any immediate damage, the enemies wont wake up, meaning the cloud should kill them without them posing any threat to you whatsoever. Shadows, Behemoths, Stalkers and Mages cant be put to sleep, so if there is any of these enemies around, make sure you shank them in the face quickly before throwing rohypnol at everything else.

Repeat this until the whole zone is completed, then move onto the next one.
Once you have gotten all the way to zone 5, place the banner and go back to the font room. Hide around the doorway and wait till enemies come around the corner. Then just repeat the usual tactic until everything is dead. The Templar Commander can be put to sleep so remember to keep a close eye on him and throw a knockout bomb his way is he starts using any of his abilities. The Venatori commander isn't too much a problem, just make sure you avoid her wall of fire attack and energy barrage when she does them. 

I hope this helps you grind out poison kills with as little of your soul being destroyed in the process as possible. Thanks for watching, goodbye.  

• akots1, Sealaria, Trickshaw and 4 others like this

Trickshaw

Trickshaw
  • Members
  • 494 posts
Aww, you used my banner. = )

After the discussion you mentioned the night before last (or was it last night?) I was playing around with my Alchemist because he still had poison spec'd and I noticed that often when enemies died while asleep I was getting SPIRIT damage ticking. I promoted my Hunter, again, and saw the same exact thing.

I honestly don't know where this is coming from. Any thoughts?

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts

I would imagine this is what will happen to me...

• J. Peterman likes this

VilniusNastavnik

VilniusNastavnik
  • Members
  • 823 posts

I suppose stronger daggers would be best for these runs. I have 2 tongue of serpents.. they should be fine right?

Also, would either you, Penguin or Trickshaw post a screenshot of that banner's challenge in this thread:
http://forum.bioware...-and-portraits/

We do not currently have it listed.

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

I suppose stronger daggers would be best for these runs. I have 2 tongue of serpents.. they should be fine right?

Also, would either you, Penguin or Trickshaw post a screenshot of that banner's challenge in this thread:
http://forum.bioware...-and-portraits/

We do not currently have it listed.

Its listed there under the elemental tab

VilniusNastavnik

VilniusNastavnik
  • Members
  • 823 posts

Its listed there under the elemental tab

meant the assassin banner, but just checked the thread and saw you posted it yesterday. cheers. Just woke up so little out of it.

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

Aww, you used my banner. = )

After the discussion you mentioned the night before last (or was it last night?) I was playing around with my Alchemist because he still had poison spec'd and I noticed that often when enemies died while asleep I was getting SPIRIT damage ticking. I promoted my Hunter, again, and saw the same exact thing.

I honestly don't know where this is coming from. Any thoughts?

I have no idea. Was a horror around you? And yes, I used your image because I have no interest in getting the portrait just yet :)

Trickshaw

Trickshaw
  • Members
  • 494 posts

I have no idea. Was a horror around you? And yes, I used your image because I have no interest in getting the portrait just yet :)

Nope. It's really odd. I'll play around with it again tonight. It seemed almost random. A sizeBle chunk of spirit (yellow) damage just popping out of no where.

teos

teos
  • Members
  • 4 posts

thanks a lot for your guide very very usefull as always :D

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

Nope. It's really odd. I'll play around with it again tonight. It seemed almost random. A sizeBle chunk of spirit (yellow) damage just popping out of no where.

Were you near any enemies? The only spirit DoT that I am aware of comes from the Horror when in its melee phase. Aside from that I cant think what it could be.

Trickshaw

Trickshaw
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Were you near any enemies? The only spirit DoT that I am aware of comes from the Horror when in its melee phase. Aside from that I cant think what it could be.

No no. I was CAUSING the spirit damage. Like inflicting spirit damage on my poison targets.

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

No no. I was CAUSING the spirit damage. Like inflicting spirit damage on my poison targets.

The only think I can think of then is a special effect from your weapon in that case.

Torkelight

Torkelight
  • Members
  • 668 posts

Thanks for watching, goodbye.  

Sneaky build. Well done.

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

Sneaky build. Well done.

its a transcript

gay_wardens

gay_wardens
  • Banned
  • 666 posts

much prefer shadow strike to reduce the poison ability cooldowns

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

much prefer shadow strike to reduce the poison ability cooldowns

If you bothered to read any part of this post then youd realise that I use nothing but poison abilities to maximise poison kills. You would need to be at least level 15 before you even start grinding aswell if you were to take SS (which you never would in any circumstance ever).

Torkelight

Torkelight
  • Members
  • 668 posts

its a transcript

If you say so.

gay_wardens

gay_wardens
  • Banned
  • 666 posts

If you bothered to read any part of this post then youd realise that I use nothing but poison abilities to maximise poison kills. You would need to be at least level 15 before you even start grinding aswell if you were to take SS (which you never would in any circumstance ever).

i happen to know that knockout bomb is not a poison ability mate.

shadow strike might not proc the stealth cooldown but i find more than often enough that I can just run to the next wraith or whatever and get stealth back anyway. i really like getting rid of 4 seconds on my Toxic Cloud, and it pretty much guarantees I've constantly got poison blades up

you might not do it but I feel it's more efficient for dealing out the poison deaths

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

If you say so.

transcript
ˈtranskrɪpt,ˈtrɑːn-/
noun
noun: transcript; plural noun: transcripts

a written or printed version of material originally presented in another medium.

If you click on the video link, you will see that that is the other medium.

• teos likes this

-PenguinFetish-

-PenguinFetish-
  • Banned
  • 1,421 posts

i happen to know that knockout bomb is not a poison ability mate.

shadow strike might not proc the stealth cooldown but i find more than often enough that I can just run to the next wraith or whatever and get stealth back anyway. i really like getting rid of 4 seconds on my Toxic Cloud, and it pretty much guarantees I've constantly got poison blades up

you might not do it but I feel it's more efficient for dealing out the poison deaths

It also doesn't kill anything. The only kills I get are poison kills. Do you even read back what you have typed before you post it? If you want a poison build then sure, use shadow strike if you want (i have no idea why you would given how bad of a skill it is but you seem to like terrible skils so whatever). If you want poison kills then the best way to get them is by killing everything with poison. If you kill something with shadow strike, that is not a poison kill. 

If you are farming poison kills vs Demons then you are just doing it wrong, as I explained in the guide, wraiths are immune to poison and they are the most common enemy vs demons.

Im also not and never will be your 'mate'.

• Saboteur-6, gay_wardens, J. Peterman and 1 other like this

apocalypse_owl

apocalypse_owl
  • Members
  • 318 posts
Thanks for the guide, I was dreading having to grind this challenge, but the Alchemist is so funny and the knockout bomb + poison cloud combo looks really fun. Maybe I'll survive this after all ;)

Shadohz

Shadohz
  • Members
  • 1,662 posts

Oh NOW you post this guide after I had to do it the hard way of scoring 1 poison kill per game. jk. I went with a non-farm option; a similar build with a poisonous weapon. I preferred to grind out a few Operation Completes challenges while doing this with mostly the Alchemist and a few games with Assassin. I netted about 20-30/per game with Routine PUGs and about 60/game solo (higher if I concentrated more on poison kills than outright dispatch).

added to Guide Catalog.

Kjubaran

Kjubaran
  • Members
  • 150 posts

Dammit now everyone will know, what my banner is :(....switching to nice "Cold Banner"

For my harwest i used: Fireflash, stealth, Posion weapon, Toxic cloud.

If demons - wipe asap

Usually i just Run, ocasionaly droped toxic cloud or hit someone with dagger. At the end somewhere at choking point drop toxic cloud, hit everyone with dagger. Usually rest enemies will come into the secondary toxic clouds. Not perfect, about 90-100 posion kills / match but pretty fast.

Sleep / Posion cloud combo havent cross my mind...interesting.

kiltysue

kiltysue
  • Members
  • 240 posts

Thanks, this looks like a great, funny solo oriented build.

I'll probably try it out, because it doesn't really look "soul crushing".

Rather, it looks like it may induce deaths due to laughter!

You can also get poison clouds and poison kills during

group play by invoking poison weapon just before a

mine throw.  Not really a specialized farm approach,

but the mines leaving poison cloud on kill is kind

of interesting.

J. Peterman

J. Peterman
  • Members
  • 2,754 posts
No shadow strike, no bang.