Photo

Type of Wraith = Type of Major Demon Nearby

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

So, I was playing yesterday afternoon with an ol' friend of mine and he pointed out something that I had never made the connection about. Maybe I'm just slow and this will be old news to everyone else, but I figured I'd post it for anyone else like me who just totally missed the bus on it.

The type of annoying little wraiths you get will warn you what kind of bigger demon is nearby, as the bigger demon actually "controls" their element.

Green spirit damage wraiths can be an indicator that Fear is nearby (he's that super-annoying dude with the crab legs on his back that teleports around and makes spiders crawl up your legs). However, this is also the default form of wraiths when initially spawned and they pass by no greater demons, or if the greater demon nearby has been slain.

Orange fire damage wraiths mean a Rage demon is nearby (logically enough).

Blue ice damage wraiths means that a Despair demon is nearby (she's that annoying black-hooded hag that dances around and shoots ice beams out of her face).

Purple electricity damage wraiths mean Pride is nearby.

c640x360_32.jpg

• Robbiesan, SofaJockey, mrs_anomaly and 14 others like this

TheMindKiller

TheMindKiller
  • Members
  • 48 posts
That's actually pretty cool. Never pieced that together.

I had noticed a pattern, but that explains why you don't see the burning ones much after wave 2.

And thank god the despair demon only controls ice wraiths, which suck, cause she's incredibly annoying to deal with on her own.
  • rafoquinha likes this

JRandall0308

JRandall0308
  • Members
  • 1,670 posts

Despair Demon + Fire Wraiths would be insane. Glad that's not possible. At least so far.

Edit: on a more serious note the fact that Zone 5 Demons can only contain Spirit Wraiths (because it also contains Fear Demons) is yet more reason to use a Spirit Resistance Tonic on that Zone.

Courtnehh

Courtnehh
  • Members
  • 948 posts

So, I was playing yesterday afternoon with an ol' friend of mine and he pointed out something that I had never made the connection about. Maybe I'm just slow and this will be old news to everyone else, but I figured I'd post it for anyone else like me who just totally missed the bus on it.

The type of annoying little wraiths you get will warn you what kind of bigger demon is nearby, as the bigger demon actually "controls" their element.

Green spirit damage wraiths mean Fear is nearby (he's that super-annoying dude with the crab legs on his back that teleports around and makes spiders crawl up your legs).

Orange fire damage wraiths mean a Rage demon is nearby (logically enough).

Blue ice damage wraiths means that a Despair demon is nearby (she's that annoying black-hooded hag that dances around and shoots ice beams out of her face).

Purple electricity damage wraiths mean Pride is nearby.

c640x360_32.jpg

And so your apprentice was enlightened, thank you sensei.

• DragonRacer likes this

Reptillius

Reptillius
  • Members
  • 1,242 posts

I didn't realize this wasn't common knowledge.  Now I'm wondering if I'm the only one that reads the codex entries in single player?  And I think it was mentioned in one of the loading screen cards too. But I don't remember if it was for single player or multiplayer at this point.

Texasmotiv

Texasmotiv
  • Members
  • 1,254 posts

I didn't realize this wasn't common knowledge.  Now I'm wondering if I'm the only one that reads the codex entries in single player?  And I think it was mentioned in one of the loading screen cards too. But I don't remember if it was for single player or multiplayer at this point.

Id read the cards but I'm not a speed reader that can get through 400 words in 15 seconds before the black loading screen pops up.

• mrs_anomaly likes this

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

I'm usually pretty good about reading the codex entries, but that's not something I ever remember reading. Perhaps I missed it, since I don't actually have all the codex entries unlocked.

As far as the loading screen, I stopped reading those tips ages ago... largely because my load screen time is either super short or sort of glitches out to black most of the time, so it's a fruitless endeavor for me.

Kinom001

Kinom001
  • Members
  • 2,563 posts

Huh...that's pretty cool. Now that I think about past matches it all ties in.

Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Members
  • 2,860 posts

Smh. n00bs.

• mrs_anomaly and SolarSpaghetti like this

Beerfish

Beerfish
  • Members
  • 23,825 posts

Logical, I never thought about it.  I usually know a despair demon is around when she shoots me with her ice beam through 12 feet of concrete and wall.  I just love immolating those little beotches.

• DragonRacer, Courtnehh and Kenny Bania like this

Kinom001

Kinom001
  • Members
  • 2,563 posts

Logical, I never thought about it.  I usually know a despair demon is around when she shoots me with her ice beam through 12 feet of concrete and wall.  I just love immolating those little beotches.

A better case for "kill it with fire" would be hard to find.

Reptillius

Reptillius
  • Members
  • 1,242 posts

Not nearly as hard as you'd think.  Ever heard Rosanne Barr sing the national anthem?

Kinom001

Kinom001
  • Members
  • 2,563 posts

Not nearly as hard as you'd think.  Ever heard Rosanne Barr sing the national anthem?

Ouch. I remember that fiasco, actually, and that's a good point.

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

Spirit/Green is actually the default wraith color/type. They all spawn as Green. Once they pass a specific demon element, they become that element. Orange Fire for Rage demons, Light Blue Cold for Despair, Dark Blue Electric for Pride. If the elemental demon they passed has been killed, they'll revert back to Green. They make a noise when they convert.

Most of the time on zone 1 and 2, the initial wraith spawns will pass a rage demon (zone 1, mob 2, mob 3, zone 2, mob 1, mob 2) and become fire. Sometimes they miss passing by the Rage and stay green. Occasionally they'll revert for reasons unknown to me. Most of the time they'll be fire. Zone 3 typically passes either cold or fire, Zone 4 electric (no despair demons, rarely passing/becoming fire).

• DragonRacer, Ghost Of N7_SP3CTR3 and Texasmotiv like this

Teophne

Teophne
  • Members
  • 415 posts

That's kinda like seeing red lyrium on the map only to find out it's Red John, err, Templars.

WangtorioJackson

WangtorioJackson
  • Members
  • 70 posts

I came to this conclusion awhile ago, although I had thought that the green form was just their default form with nothing else influencing it, because I'm pretty sure I've seen green ones on their own without Fear Demons or anything else nearby. But they definitely take on the elemental attributes of Rage, Despair and Pride demons when they are near.

DrKilledbyDeath

DrKilledbyDeath
  • Members
  • 1,222 posts

So this is why they change from red/blue/purple back to green when they larger demon has died. Interesting.

WangtorioJackson

WangtorioJackson
  • Members
  • 70 posts

So this is why they change from red/blue/purple back to green when they larger demon has died. Interesting.

Yes, I forgot about this, but this happens as well. Further evidence that green is their base form and is not influenced by Fear Demons.

DrKilledbyDeath

DrKilledbyDeath
  • Members
  • 1,222 posts

I see Drasca already mentioned this, but apparently I observe this thread about as well as I observe enemies.

• Drasca likes this

WangtorioJackson

WangtorioJackson
  • Members
  • 70 posts

I see Drasca already mentioned this, but apparently I observe this thread about as well as I observe enemies.

shoot, same here.

well, at least it's settled.

DrKilledbyDeath

DrKilledbyDeath
  • Members
  • 1,222 posts

Yes we know what is actually happening now. Before when they changed back to green I saw it as "I give up, please kill me while I waste the next few seconds changing elements" like it was more honorable to die while green or something

• Texasmotiv likes this

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

Updated OP with the info about the "default" green.

Red Panda

Red Panda
  • Members
  • 6,902 posts

Nah, brah, I bought this game only for the multiplayer so I could show off my mad MLG pro skills.

Anyways, this is the Dragon Age Wiki Codex Entry on wraiths:

"Like wisps, wraiths are sometimes thought to be the remains of spirits or demons that have been destroyed. They cannot shape the Fade around themselves, nor are they capable of mimicking forms they see in the minds of dreamers as many weaker spirits do. Instead, they are the scavengers of beings, feeding on scraps of thought and emotions.

—From Beyond the Veil: Spirits and Demons by Enchanter Mirdromel"

BansheeOwnage

BansheeOwnage
  • Members
  • 11,187 posts

Off-topic: Does everyone really see the Despair Demon as female? I always thought it looked pretty genderless, like the shades, etc.

On-topic: Agreed that it's a pretty cool system!

Catastrophy

Catastrophy
  • Members
  • 8,448 posts

Why read codex pieces when we can have DragonRacer!

• Drasca, Red Panda and DragonRacer like this