Photo

A Pictorial Guide to Treasure Rooms (work-in-progress)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

Starting this up since it seems like some folks may get some value from it (and it will help them memorize). It is a work-in-progress at the moment and I'll be updating as I get more screenshots of each treasure room for each map. If you'd like to contribute any shots I'm missing so far, throw them my way and I'll put them up! I am looking for two shots of each door: the location on the map, and the general interior of the room itself.

Treasure rooms must be opened by specific classes: stone doors can only be opened by warriors, golden locked doors can only be opened by rogues, and purple glowy wards can only be opened by mages. You do not have to open these doors to complete the match, but they can award money or an item card. There are six treasure rooms in a match.

In these treasure rooms is a chest and some money pots. Some rooms will NEVER have a guardian to fight after you open the chest, so we tend to call those "freebies". They are 100% safe to open. Other rooms have a chance to spawn a guardian when you attempt to open the chest. This comes in three forms: a round of corpses (relatively easy and usually confined to Zone 1 treasure rooms only), an Arcane Horror (not too bad, but can damage you pretty quickly if you don't avoid his spells), or a Revenant (the toughest guardian who can grab you, pull you in, and basically kill anyone who isn't a tank).

The general rules of thumb for quickly identifying a safe room from a potential guardian room are as follows:

1. Any treasure rooms that already had enemies inside when you opened the door will not contain a chest guardian.

2. Smallish rooms that are also sort of awkward-shaped most of the time will not contain a chest guardian.

3. Any chest that's in a corridor-area where you pull a lever to open a door and proceed further in the level via an alternate route instead of the "main" route will not contain a chest guardian.

4. If a treasure room contains money pots, it is NOT safe and the chest could spawn a guardian. Treasure rooms with no pots inside of them are totally safe. - Thanks to Shiratori for that tip! :)

I will now attempt to document all treasure rooms in the game for your convenience. Rooms that have a chance to spawn chest guardians are hidden under spoilers to help conserve space.

Elven Ruins (Destruction DLC Alternate Path Version):

Spoiler

For these two, the one on the left always has a chance to contain a chest guardian. The one on the right leads down a rubble pathway and is always safe. The chest for that one is on the left and an exit gate back to the main level is to the right.

d7WG2Vv.jpg

Spoiler

The "room" on the right:

qEXGxYt.jpg

Spoiler

This one is reached by climbing up a small hill. The level continues to the left and to the exit door of the zone. To the right of the hilltop is a treasure door that is always safe to open.

rtVxq4y.jpg
363eP2U.jpg

Elven Ruins (Normal Routes):

Added as of 4/20/2015:

Near the start of this zone, you'll run ahead and see this door in front of you (and another way off to the left down a pathway). This one is always safe and leads to doors (either left or right) that go downstairs to a mob.

JZN84vt.jpg

mvPU2o6.jpg

Spoiler

• mrs_anomaly, lynroy, Jkregers and 1 other like this

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

Reserved for Additional Elven Ruins

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

Tevinter Ruins:

Spoiler

This one is under some shelter that leads to open sky (and spawns) to the right. This one is always safe.

Z7nsmj2.jpg

n4a68Re.jpg

Spoiler

This one is always near the start of the zone and to the right. It's easy to miss and is often left behind because everyone sees the enemy spawn straight ahead after leaving the font/transition room. This room is always a safe room.

OOlNmSz.jpg

nEnk0Iv.jpg

Spoiler

This is another double treasure room area. The door on the left is always a safe chest. The door on the right always has a chance to spawn a chest guardian.

W3LgvQW.jpg

Spoiler

Room on the left (chest in left corner):

6cBMBsd.jpg

Spoiler

This one is always at the start of a zone. It's immediately in front of you when you leave the font/transition room. It is always safe.

isIL8Ek.jpg

VvMSaMV.jpg

Spoiler

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

Reserved for Additional Tevinter Ruins

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

Orlesian Chateau:

This room is always near the start of a zone. It is also always safe.

trp9X5a.jpg
6yhEcQt.jpg

Spoiler

This room is usually at the start of a zone and is always safe.

M6ZyA2H.jpg
lkTtH1r.jpg

Spoiler

Added as of 4/20/2015:

Here are two treasure rooms at the start of a zone (rest of the zone goes off towards the right). The one on the left has a chance to spawn a chest guardian. The one straight ahead is safe and also leads to an alternate route to the last room of the zone.

P7TWGpv.jpg

Spoiler

The safe room from straight ahead:

m94pDPa.jpg

In another zone, you'll run across these two doors (while rest of the zone is off to the left). The one straight ahead (sort of behind the statue in this shot) is always safe and leads to an alternate route out to the last room on the left. The room on the right always has a chance to spawn a chest guardian.

69yTsrQ.jpg

Spoiler

The safe room from straight ahead:

78xTFyM.jpg

Spoiler

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

Additional Orlesian Chateau

Added as of 4/20/2015:

This one is always at the start of a zone and it is always safe. It also has a door you can open that leads right back out onto the main path immediately.

HRfX88A.jpg

92lfyuI.jpg

Spoiler

At the end of the large ballroom is the exit and a treasure room. This room is always safe and has a little door you can open to hit the exit.

4ll5EPD.jpg

eh7vH2X.jpg

Spoiler

Fiery Orlesian Chateau (Destruction DLC):

Spoiler

After clearing the room above and moving down the right pathway, this door will be on your immediate right. It is always safe and leads to a doorway you can open to go straight to the last room of the zone.

hwJK9WK.jpg

h28rF1Y.jpg

This door is always at the start of the Museum zone. It's to the left, while a hallway leading to enemies is to the right. For some reason, everyone usually seems to miss this one and beelines to the enemies (even if they've stopped to open all the previous treasure rooms). Please don't run right past it, never to return again. IT'S A FREE, SAFE CHEST, PEOPLE.

8qR2qob.jpg

QnMSB0S.jpg

Spoiler

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

Hodor.

Jkregers

Jkregers
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Would it be easier for people to remember if you just showed them the free rooms? That way they can assume that everything else has a chance to spawn a guardian. 

• DragonRacer likes this

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

Would it be easier for people to remember if you just showed them the free rooms? That way they can assume that everything else has a chance to spawn a guardian. 

That's a good thought. What I think I'll do is put the "chance of chest guardian" pictures under spoiler tags, so that the info is still available if desired but otherwise the main things showing will be the freebie rooms.

I'll do that in the morning, though. Off to bed for me now. :P

• Jkregers likes this

KalGerion_Beast

KalGerion_Beast
  • Members
  • 1,370 posts

Wouldnt it be even easier if you just showed the 3 room types that have a chance to spawn a boss?

AbyssMessiah

AbyssMessiah
  • Members
  • 135 posts

Pictures schmictures... now every troll around has written directions on how to wipe your party :) . And yes, you actually get them even these days, where "non-hardcore" player count is down to 0.5. 

I second the previous point of view though - easier to post only the free doors.

Robbiesan

Robbiesan
  • Members
  • 2,543 posts

Nice work DR.  Thanks for doing this.

• DragonRacer likes this

Beerfish

Beerfish
  • Members
  • 23,825 posts

Thanks you mattock toting drunk turian sentinel you!  This should be helpful to people.

• Robbiesan, Grinch57 and DragonRacer like this

Texasmotiv

Texasmotiv
  • Members
  • 1,254 posts
Sticky please

Or at least a mention in the resource library
  • DragonRacer likes this

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

Sticky please

Or at least a mention in the resource library

I already added a link to this in my stickied Resource Library. ;)

Aetika

Aetika
  • Members
  • 3,165 posts

This will save many people from being slaughtered by Revenant!

• DragonRacer likes this

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

I am clearly the BEST person to be making this guide.  :whistle:

• Grinch57, lynroy and Aetika like this

lynroy

lynroy
  • Members
  • 24,524 posts

58630627-lol-reaction.gif

So funny after what happened yesterday. Dragon already posted the link to her post. Oh man, that was great. :D

• DragonRacer likes this

Aetika

Aetika
  • Members
  • 3,165 posts

58630627-lol-reaction.gif

So funny after what happened yesterday. Dragon already posted the link to her post. Oh man, that was great. :D

god damn people, you have spoilt the joke!

16030d1419192044-audirvana-2-0-innocent.

• DragonRacer likes this

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

But seriously, I need to try and actually remember to take treasure room screenshots today because I tooooootally brain farted and did not do so last night.

Perhaps had I done that and actually, you know, been paying attention, the Unfortunate Revenant Incident™ would never have happened.

(That would've been waaaaaaaaaaaaay less hilarious and ironic, though.)

• Grinch57 likes this

Shadohz

Shadohz
  • Members
  • 1,662 posts
Oh cool. A veiled speedrun guide thread. Good job DR. I never got around to uploading my 'free chest room' vids because I got bored with the game. Dragon killing or death to MP!!!
  • DragonRacer likes this

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

Oh cool. A veiled speedrun guide thread. Good job DR. I never got around to uploading my 'free chest room' vids because I got bored with the game. Dragon killing or death to MP!!!

Haha, not veiled at all. I actually like opening all treasure rooms and get frustrated when the lobby seems in speedrunning mode (and will go along for that match, then bail out and find a new lobby). But, hey, I'm all about helping everybody, so if it helps some new speedrunners with quickly identifying the freebie chests, I'm fine with that. :)

Shadohz

Shadohz
  • Members
  • 1,662 posts

Haha, not veiled at all. I actually like opening all treasure rooms and get frustrated when the lobby seems in speedrunning mode. :)

Bad 'ol putty-dragon. How dare you mislead me into thinking you're a speedrunner.

Spoiler

• DragonRacer likes this

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

Made some major updates today. I believe I've gotten all the rest of the normal Orlesian Chateau treasure rooms as well as the Destruction DLC route.

Also got a few from the normal Elven Ruins route until everyone went into speed-run mode, so... gonna need to get back to those later.

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

Figured I'd bump this to help anyone who may want/need it since treasure rooms is the weekend challenge.

I still have some work to do on screenshotting Elven Ruins, but most everything else is complete.