Photo

Avvar build AOE devastation

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

BreakJohn

BreakJohn
  • Members
  • 294 posts

The Avvar Skywatcher is actually not that bad!

Let me start by saying that this is one of the most gear dependant classes in the game at the moment, please take that into consideration. This build focuses mainly on Area Of Effect damage and plays differently than the katari and the reaver which is what I was going for. Trying to play this class like any of the other warriors will yield lackluster results. Also this class is seriously frail, threatening feels like perilous and anything and everything can and will kill you fast.

Abilities

Korth’s Might Upgraded with Elemental Affinity. this is the move you use in between cooldowns for you next major AOE attack. Also has no cooldown if used when charged with an element.

Lady’s Wrath upgraded with lasting storm. This move is sooo good and my favorite on the avvar. With the upgrade it basically has no downtime (like 2 seconds) and cost a measly 35 stamina. Significantly boost your dps as it ticks away at enemies in the mere presence of it!

Crushing Leap upgraded with Scorched Earth. This is your go to kill move. The radius is honestly massive and the damage is pretty good. Will outright kill most groups of archers(on threatening). Also the leap goes pretty far. Don’t be afraid to lunge at groups of enemies with this.

Hakkon's Charge upgraded with Swift Winds. this move can easily replace Chilling tremor specially if you are looking for a little more defense on a class that desperately needs it. This move works similar to charging bull except it has an added hit at the end that gives a nice chunk of guard and does decent damage. Use this move to better position yourself around enemies, knockdown enemies and generally build a little much needed guard all while gaining an ice elemental trigger.

Or

Chilling tremor upgraded with Freezing Quake. I went with this skill because it fits the theme of what I was going for (AOE devastation) but its honestly a pretty good attack, its aoe is massive and the damage isn’t bad at all very good for finishing up a group of enemies that have you surrounded or that didn’t die to crushing leap.

The Passives

This class is seriously lacking in passives compared to pretty much every other warrior, with no flow of battle, unyielding, fervor or turn the bolt to name a few. But that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a few decent ones tucked in there, these are the ones I found to be pretty useful (I’m not gonna go over mandatory ones that you have to go through to get some of his abilities)

Furious Blows is a new passive and exclusive to the avvar. Upon landing a critical hit you get a speed boost of 50% for 8 seconds. This definitely comes in handy when trying to get into the next group of enemies. Stormbringer is another one I like, even though this is a subpar for mages its actually decent on the avvar does a surprising amount of damage. Bear mauls the wolves is pretty self explanatory and this class needs all the defense it can get! Plus it gets you right next to Chilled defense with gives you 25% damage resistance around chilled or frozen targets. That’s pretty much it for passives, you will have a spare few points upon reaching level 20 go ahead and experiment! try some other passives or even new abilities and see what you like.

The Gear

Sulevins blade or Maul of the dragon are the preferred weapons for this build but honestly the weapon is probably the least important piece of gear, the slayer or even sundering would do you just fine.

Superb Stamina Amulet is absolutely necessary on this build since you want to spam abilities as often as possible. Can be substituted with enhanced stamina amulet.

Superb Heal on kill ring the most crucial piece of gear for the avvar in my opinion, I can’t stress enough this class is made of PAPER and WILL go down with just a few hits. Until bioware remedies this with a buff of some sorts HoK is critical for this class. Use two if possible.

Superb Belt of Health yes I know this is the best belt for basically every kit in the game, but when you’re as frail as a rogue and fight like a warrior this belts usefulness can’t be understated. Use the enhanced one if you have it but don’t have this one.

Also don't forget to equip some Armor upgrades as well, specifically +HP ones or better yet high constitution arms.

Strategy

With the recent buffs to the elemental passives from using Korth's Might after you gain an elemental charge, its more important than ever to make sure you have as many "on" as possible. 

Learning to get a proper loop on your abilities is a must on the Avvar and creates a nice "flow of battle" if you will. You should almost always start off any encounter by first using Lady's Wrath as this will give you some nice AoE damage over time for a good while, this will give you a lightning trigger on Korth's Might use it as soon as you get it for some more nice AoE damage. next use Crushing Leap and severely damage the mob of enemies around you all while they are still taking damage from Lady's Wrath. Using Crushing Leap will give you a fire trigger use that on anyone that is around you for a nice 50% damage bonus for the next 24 seconds. Hakkon charge into any nearby enemies and proceed to use the ice trigger on Korth's might on them for 35% damage resistance for the next 24 seconds which is very handy for this class. If you went with Chilling Tremor use it when you are surrounded by enemies since it has a massive AoE. 

Remember to use Lady's Wrath as often as possible and use your other two abilities as the situation calls for it. if its a large group of enemies crushing leap them or chilling tremor, if you need to close the distance and you have Hakkon's charge use that instead. Just make sure to use whatever elemental trigger you have charged up as often as possible. 

Don't forget this class is seriously squishy, play smart, ambush tactics go a long way in keeping you alive. use pillars, walls, corridors anything you can to close the gap on your enemies or make them come to you. When you do strike make sure to hit as many people as possible with your insanely big AoE attacks. If you have a keeper or Virtuoso in the party get some barrier and really cut loose!

I have uploaded a few 30 second clips of my avvar in some pugs just so you guys can check out how this class deals with a few mobs. This class most definitely appreciates barrier! So be mindful of your team composition.

quick 30 second example of how to looping abilities on the avvar looks like. perilous gameplay.

little 30 second clips of threatening!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkd69f0o49g

• Shandyr, themageguy, SpaceV3gan and 4 others like this

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

Haha I came to the same conclusion. Certain haters like to dismiss my opinion and builds for having high stats and gear but... pffft. It works. The class does get less frail as you gain higher promotes and gear though.

CT can be substituted with HC. Depends on personal preference at the time.

It works with Perilous too btw. Solo'ed perilous with mostly the same build. Chilled defense is less important as you gain more DPS. Avvar is like an AoE Elemental Reaver. Ambush around corners.

My preferred skill loop is:

LW KM CL KM HC KM. See a pattern? Always keep LW up, and always use the KM elemental trigger. There are times to break that pattern, like throwing in a KM w/o Elemental trigger to finish something off, or going straight into CL against a despair demon without barrier.

Gear:

Armor upgrades:
+Constitution

+Heal Bonus

You'll also want these. +Maximum health is fine too, but +constitution is better.

• FRZN, Shandyr, themageguy and 2 others like this

BreakJohn

BreakJohn
  • Members
  • 294 posts

yea i could see replacing CT with HC. completely forgot about the armor upgrades. every bit of constitution helps!

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

yea i could see replacing CT with HC. completely forgot about the armor upgrades. every bit of constitution helps!

Yeah it does. I just viewed your videos. You need to KM more in between your active abilities, consuming those elemental triggers, providing upgraded KM bonii for those triggers, and auto-attack less. Only time needed to auto is for stamina. LW should take care of anything with just a sliver of health left that isn't killed by KM.

Avvar is new for everyone, but it still helps to make the most of what you have.

Shandyr

Shandyr
  • Members
  • 250 posts

How do you generate guard with that build?

Is guard even important for Avvar?

I use the same active skills as you, but instead of chilling tremor I use Hakkon's charge to get some guard.

I agree, Lady’s Wrath is awesome!

Shandyr

Shandyr
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Oh by the way, I have superb cooldown amulet and superb stamina amulet, which one should I use on the Avvar?

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

How do you generate guard with that build?

Is guard even important for Avvar?

Technically HC and KM (cold trigger) both generate guard.... but no guard is not important. The HoK and LW / CL AoE dots are. You can self-revive if enemies are low too, as you fall the dots still remain.

Your job is to kill.

I've also done builds where I HC [optionally KM (cold)] CT CL. That combo freezes everything you pass through / hit with KM (cold), with CT. Then you AoE shatter with CL.

Ideally there should be a Necro or Mage with Frost Step or WG, chilling everything for you, so you may CT AoE freeze -> CL shatter detonate everything. However, I find that to be not consistent... so I prefer mostly the same build the OP has.

Oh by the way, I have superb cooldown amulet and superb stamina amulet, which one should I use on the Avvar?

Definitely stamina.

• Shandyr likes this

themageguy

themageguy
  • Members
  • 3,176 posts
I've been playing with Avvar and he is fun to play. Currently in the low teens running with KM, HC, CL and CT. After watching the video, i will be using LW for sure.
Thanks for the build advice and thanks to Drasca on the gear advice.

BreakJohn

BreakJohn
  • Members
  • 294 posts

Yeah it does. I just viewed your videos. You need to KM more in between your active abilities, consuming those elemental triggers, providing upgraded KM bonii for those triggers, and auto-attack less. Only time needed to auto is for stamina. LW should take care of anything with just a sliver of health left that isn't killed by KM.

Avvar is new for everyone, but it still helps to make the most of what you have.

yea im still getting a feel for the class, using KM way more now with those elemental triggers. i see what you mean about basically never needing to auto attack in between looping the abilities. honestly the way the skills loop on this class the cooldowns are perfect. flow of battle is hardly missed.

• Drasca likes this

Jkregers

Jkregers
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Haha I came to the same conclusion. Certain haters like to dismiss my opinion and builds for having high stats and gear but... pffft. It works. The class does get less frail as you gain higher promotes and gear though.

CT can be substituted with HC. Depends on personal preference at the time.

It works with Perilous too btw. Solo'ed perilous with mostly the same build. Chilled defense is less important as you gain more DPS. Avvar is like an AoE Elemental Reaver. Ambush around corners.

My preferred skill loop is:

LW KM CL KM HC KM. See a pattern? Always keep LW up, and always use the KM elemental trigger. There are times to break that pattern, like throwing in a KM w/o Elemental trigger to finish something off, or going straight into CL against a despair demon without barrier.

Gear:

Armor upgrades:
+Constitution

+Heal Bonus

You'll also want these. +Maximum health is fine too, but +constitution is better.

Yeah, this build rocks my socks. 

• Drasca likes this

Kalas Magnus

Kalas Magnus
  • Members
  • 10,312 posts

you werent kidding.

hes made of tissue paper

Jkregers

Jkregers
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Does the Korah's Might lightning buff give you increased attack speed? It says it only adds splash damage, but I feel like something is increasing my attack speed by a significant amount. 

FRZN

FRZN
  • Members
  • 322 posts

Does the lightning Korah's Might buff give you increased attack speed? It says it only adds splash damage, but I feel like something is increasing my attack speed by a significant amount. 

Are you playing with a virtuoso?  He has a 20% attack speed buff.

Viking

Viking
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Too bad that this build is useless for those who don't have at least 40 constitution + fully equipped (at least the HoK ring).

With 20 constitution and without that ring, no matter what, with this build you are dead after few seconds.

Best build for Avaar if you are low levels: force a Virtuoso to be your baby sitter.

BreakJohn

BreakJohn
  • Members
  • 294 posts

Too bad that this build is useless for those who don't have at least 40 constitution + fully equipped (at least the HoK ring).

With 20 constitution and without that ring, no matter what, with this build you are dead after few seconds.

Best build for Avaar if you are low levels: force a Virtuoso to be your baby sitter.

i did say that this build was highly gear dependant (not just the build the class in general), also i dont have 40 con yet and i do just fine. though you are right about the virtuoso bit lol. now that we know bioware is looking to do balance updates more frequently (every week supposedly a la ME3MP) maybe they could toss a health/defense buff toward the avvar one of these days.

• Drasca likes this

EVILFLUFFMONSTER

EVILFLUFFMONSTER
  • Members
  • 1,046 posts

That seems to be how I built mine too, apart from me keeping HC, as without a HOK ring I find guard generation much more important. If you can land the smash at the end of the charge you get substantially more guard generated. 

Jkregers

Jkregers
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Are you playing with a virtuoso?  He has a 20% attack speed buff.

I'm dumb...I thought my attack cancelling was faster...but it isn't. 

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

Too bad that this build is still useful for those who don't have at least 40 constitution + fully equipped (at least the HoK ring).

FTFY

I played this build with zero to 5 promotes on Beta. I could still easily dominate threatening castle solo. Perilous required a team for castle, or downgrading to old maps for solo.

HoK is required for almost all warrior classes is not news. Melee's always been more gear dependent than Ranged. Reaver being an exception.

Don't get me wrong, better stats and gear make melee classes Rock on. . . but required? No. Not unless you intend to try to solo everything.

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

I'm dumb...I thought my attack cancelling was faster...but it isn't. 

Some of the passives increase attack speed as well as movement (or at least seems that way).

KalGerion_Beast

KalGerion_Beast
  • Members
  • 1,370 posts

This build is definitely fun, but I feel he needs unyielding somewhere within his skill tree

Alan Drifter13

Alan Drifter13
  • Members
  • 375 posts

The Gear

Superb Heal on kill ring the most crucial piece of gear for the avvar in my opinion, I can’t stress enough this class is made of PAPER and WILL go down with just a few hits. Until bioware remedies this with a buff of some sorts HoK is critical for this class. Use two if possible.

Superb Belt of Health yes I know this is the best belt for basically every kit in the game, but when you’re as frail as a rogue and fight like a warrior this belts usefulness can’t be understated. 

I don't have either of these yet. And I had to unlock the bloody Avvar in the free chest!! I really hate this character, I hope it gets a huge buff soon.

BraveLToaster

BraveLToaster
  • Members
  • 1,237 posts

I've got all of your equipment sans the superb HoK rings (only have two enhanced), but I feel like I'm made of paper on Perilous.

I'd really like for Rage to have a small stagger attached to it like Unbowed, so that you don't instantly lose most-all of the armor you get for using it right away, as is the skill looks nice on paper but is extremely underwhelming.

I've done very well on Threatening with a few builds on him, the resetting Korth's Might makes your rotation really strong, but moving up has proven difficult.

yarpenthemad21

yarpenthemad21
  • Members
  • 820 posts
I'm using Haakon charge instead of chilling tremor.
Both are great but I feel like I can't use chilling tremor in 100%. I need to have prepared "cold" and start with KM to get chill and after that frozen on targets. Without frozen effect Chilling tremor is just aoe...chill.
Also poor guard generation. I don't have superb hok ring (still i have greatsword of dragon) but I have dps rings (superb crit chance and damage) so this setup works imo better for me. It is also easier to maintain Chilled defense with Haakon Charge (because of lower cooldown) and I really like this hard hitting swing at the end of Haakon Charge.

Apl_Juice

Apl_Juice
  • Members
  • 1,300 posts

Is Korth's worth using?

In my experiences so far, it is a lot smaller than Mighty Blow, does less damage, and is just as slow. Sure its spammable, but that eats stamina, and I'm not too fond of spamming what is probably the slowest melee attack in the game on one the largest characters in the game. I feel like I'd be better off taking all the Ice attacks, the Guard thing, and Lady's favor. Anyone try that??

BreakJohn

BreakJohn
  • Members
  • 294 posts

made a few edits in the OP added some suggestions from people who pointed out a few things i missed.

• Robbiesan likes this