Photo

St. BLuke's Weekly Balance Changelog (May 15th)

159 replies to this topic

Luke Barrett

Luke Barrett
  • BioWare Employees
  • 1,638 posts

50 Is the New 65

Following on last week's Lightning Bolt change, Sidony and Rion will be swimming in a pool of mana this week as the other crowd-control variants see their costs reduced to a more appropriate 50 mana. We also reduced the Walking Bomb cost to 50 (for the second time!).

Flashfire (Necromancer, Elementalist)

• Mana cost reduced from 65 to 50

Walking Bomb (Necromancer)

Winter's Grasp (Necromancer, Elementalist)

The True Master of the Elements

Rion, an Elementalist? More like an Elemental-ish, am I right?

The Skywatcher's elemental attunement from the Korth's Might upgrade has seen a drastic increase in effectiveness. This is intended to play up his reliance on being attuned to the correct element for the appropriate situations.

Elemental Affinity (Korth's Might upgrade) (Avvar)

• Duration increased from 10 seconds to 24 seconds
  • Fire: Damage multiplier increased from 25% to 50%
  • Cold: Damage taken reduction increased from 10% to 35%
  • Elec: Damage multiplier increased from 50% to 75%

Additionally, we've cut the cost of using Korth's Might in half to ensure that you have the stamina to switch attunements as needed. His defensive buff, Rage of the Avvar, also received this treatment so you can keep fighting after using it rather than having to choose between high defense and offense.

Korth's Might (Avvar)

• Stamina cost reduced from 30 to 15

Rage of the Avvar (Avvar)

• Stamina cost reduced from 65 to 35

Perception Is Nine-Tenths of the Law

This was a hot topic for the last little while, about how much better the wolves were than the generic creatures. While it's not possible to remove their Perceptive buff with these weekly tweaks, we brought their health down to be more in line with the units they're replacing. They now should have the same health pool as an even-level foot soldier.

Wilderness Black Wolf

• Health reduced from 1.5x to 1x

Wilderness Hyena

• Health reduced from 2x to 1x

Which Way Is the Beach?

Both the pride demon and the behemoth have been hitting the gym to get ready for summer attire. The behemoth is seeing the cooldown time on its melee attacks heavily reduced, and the pride demon is getting the same treatment for all of its attacks, as well as a heavy boost to its survivability.

Behemoth

• Closing attack cooldown time reduced from 15 seconds to 4 seconds
  • Left and right attack cooldown times reduced from 10 seconds to 4 seconds

Pride Demon

• Health increased from 2x to 3x
  • Guard increased from 40% of health to 100% of health
  • Whip cooldown time decreased from 6 seconds to 4 seconds
  • Double whip cooldown time decreased from 25 seconds to 12 seconds
  • Ranged attack cooldown time decreased from 10 seconds to 4 seconds

And while we're talking about beach bodies, we might as well throw in some love for everyone's favorite nudist, the demon commander, who is seeing a slight increase to the damage dealt with the teleport attack. Now that it can be easily dodged, we figured it was okay to start ramping the damage back up to make him more of a threat again.

Demon Commander

• Teleport attack damage increased from 200% to 300%

Ice, Ice, Baby

If there was a problem, yo, I'll solve it. Check out the hook while ZITHER! revolves it.

The ice dragon is getting hikes to both damage and debuff to put her more in line with the strength of her sisters.

Ice Dragon

• Cold breath damage increased from 70% to 100%
  • Cold breath chilled duration increased from 1 second to 8 seconds
  • Cold spit damage increased from 125% to 150%
  • Cold spit chilled duration increased from 3 seconds to 8 seconds

(I'd just like to say that some days, the hardest part of my job is deciding whether to make a joke based on Vanilla Ice or Mr. Freeze.)

My Love for You Is like a Truck

Berserker risk/reward is now a little more forgiving as we've normalized the incoming and outgoing damage boosts to 50% for all three ranks for this item effect.

Berserker

• Damage boost (all tiers) is now 50%
  • Damage taken (all tiers) increase is now 50%

Tune Down for What?

The next round of shots from enemy archers (both Venatori and red templar) will be slightly watered down as their primary attack takes a minor damage reduction.

Creature Archer

• Basic attack damage decreased from 100% to 90%

As for the despair demon: unfortunately, due to some frosty witchcraft, we were unable to reduce the cooldown time on her evade without a patch, soooo to make her a bit easier, we've reduced her barrier strength.

Despair Demon

• Barrier health multiplier decreased from 2x to 1.5x

• Robbiesan, Drasca, Ispan and 23 others like this

Luke Barrett

Luke Barrett
  • BioWare Employees
  • 1,638 posts

Caveats to the above:

- All ability descriptions require going in to a lobby first to load the new data. This is necessary each time you load in to multiplayer from the main menu. This will be fixed in the next patch.

- The text for the Berserker item will NOT update because the text was not set up to be tweakable unlike the values - you'll just have to trust that it was changed. This will be fixed in the next patch.

BadgerladDK

BadgerladDK
  • Members
  • 2,063 posts

This looks downright sensible, nothing I can't see as fair here. (Disclaimer: I've not played the Avarr, but people have been asking for buffs to him, so yay.)

I *almost* wish I hadn't salvaged all those beserk weapons, but I'm pretty sure I'll cross paths with Serpent's Rage again.

Ploidz

Ploidz
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Here we go, this shall be a awesome weekend. Can't wait for the stream tomorrow. Thanks for these nuggets of delicious and change. Feels exciting.

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

YES!!! Of course in a few hours you'll see me trolled by the Despair Demon(s) over and over and over on Zone 3 Perilous difficulty as a Templar. It is really really bad for melee right now vs DD's with the constant dancing.

Glad I saved my Berserk weapons too. They'll be interesting for me -- by that I mean I'll pwn everything of course =D

Ploidz

Ploidz
  • Members
  • 147 posts

I also have every one of my berserk weapons. The only thing I salvage are weapons that wouldn't be useful due to stats and their low level. With daggers the stats made me keep them especially since a lot of things used main hand base damage and thankfully that paid off.

• Drasca likes this

BreakJohn

BreakJohn
  • Members
  • 294 posts

Love all the changes i see here, particularly enemy archers being a little more forgiving.

EDIT: the Avvar is gonna be a monster now! 

yarpenthemad21

yarpenthemad21
  • Members
  • 820 posts
What a huge buff for Avvar. I like it. It should help those players with not that great gear and promotions because average PuG avvar = dead Avvar

Jaden Erius

Jaden Erius
  • Members
  • 68 posts

this is awesome! All very well chosen improvements! Would it be possible to buff the strength of guard for players in general? Right now, its worth basically nothing. It would be great if guard could take a hit or two from an archer on perilous. Right now, it cant even do that on threatening. 

• MDK1281 likes this

Luke Barrett

Luke Barrett
  • BioWare Employees
  • 1,638 posts

this is awesome! All very well chosen improvements! Would it be possible to buff the strength of guard for players in general? Right now, its worth basically nothing. It would be great if guard could take a hit or two from an archer on perilous. Right now, it cant even do that on threatening. 

It's on my list as a pain point but both of my potential solutions will need to be patched instead of tweaked in. I'd actually like to lessen the strength of Barrier by about 20-30% and increase guard by around 100% in terms of effectiveness but we'll see what kind of magic I can pull off :wizard:

• Dragkonias, Ispan, Jackyl and 6 others like this

Freedheart

Freedheart
  • Members
  • 689 posts

I must have missed the part where it's easier to dodge the Butt Demon...   <_<

• Eelectrica, MDK1281 and Westrum like this

Eelectrica

Eelectrica
  • Members
  • 3,763 posts
I'm both looking forward to and dreading running into the new and improved pride demons.

looking forward to it because they'll be a bit of a challenge and dreading it because they'll probably kick my butt now.
  • Freedheart likes this

FRZN

FRZN
  • Members
  • 322 posts

The Skywatcher's elemental attunement from the Korth's Might upgrade has seen a drastic increase in effectiveness. This is intended to play up his reliance on being attuned to the correct element for the appropriate situations.

Does this mean that you can only have one elemental affinity buff active at a time?

It's on my list as a pain point but both of my potential solutions will need to be patched instead of tweaked in. I'd actually like to lessen the strength of Barrier by about 20-30% and increase guard by around 100% in terms of effectiveness but we'll see what kind of magic I can pull off :wizard:

How about giving enemy mages dispel (maybe with the upgrade) and making armor more effective (which will in turn make guard stronger but not barrier) as part of it?

Pee Jae

Pee Jae
  • Members
  • 4,085 posts

Ooh, the butt demon's a badarse again. Commence salty tears!

Broganisity

Broganisity
  • Members
  • 5,336 posts

Why, you're better than the Holy Fagnan when it comes Balance Changes!

Praise be unto St. BLuke! He is no Fluke!

Gya

Gya
  • Members
  • 1,523 posts

I must have missed the part where it's easier to dodge the Butt Demon... <_<

The aoe was tuned down in a patch, I believe. Still, if you have anything other than a perfect connection, you're gonna get hit. You and I can watch from the fade as everyone else clears zone 5. :D

Other than that, I really like the changes. Especially the pride demon buffs. Really wish there was a staff with berserk for my mages now... :(
  • Freedheart likes this

kaileena_sands

kaileena_sands
  • Members
  • 1,488 posts

Ughhh, the only things that really bothers me is the Behemoth's attack! And not because of the dmg or something, but because that attack clutters my screen and causes general lagginess.

Otherwise, the hyenas and wolves were fine... could have stayed the same... and left the Behemoth as it is.  :rolleyes:

And I guess that the frost dragon did deserve that boost. She was significantly easier than her fiery and electric sister.

Good thing for the archers too, let's hope we'll be able to take more shots before starting to see green.

AND HAVE I MENTIONED HOW MUCH THE BEHEMOTH BUFF BOTHERS ME YOU GUYS? :lol:

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

Perception Is Nine-Tenths of the Law

This was a hot topic for the last little while, about how much better the wolves were than the generic creatures. While it's not possible to remove their Perceptive buff with these weekly tweaks, we brought their health down to be more in line with the units they're replacing. They now should have the same health pool as an even-level foot soldier.

Wilderness Black Wolf

• Health reduced from 1.5x to 1x

Wilderness Hyena

• Health reduced from 2x to 1x

I need about 10 more "likes" to properly praise this.

• ChinookLoki, Freedheart, Brewskin and 1 other like this

yarpenthemad21

yarpenthemad21
  • Members
  • 820 posts

Does this mean that you can only have one elemental affinity buff active at a time?

It works normally, you can now even easier have all 3 at once.
  • FRZN likes this

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

In the interim, you could possibly change the value of the passives that increase guard max so that they're higher, thus increase overall guard usefulness... and increase the guard on hit values on various weapons with that attribute.

Guard is pretty pathetic without massive defense promote stats. +100% guard and 70% current barrier is still 1-2 orders of magnitude difference in strength.

Even assuming 1k health at level 20, guard is worth 250. +100% of that is 500. On a high level Katari that'd be worth 1k guard. With low cunning / ranged defense, it'd be worth about 2-3 arrows. A lot better than before of course, because it'd otherwise be worth nothing + losing most of one's health to 1-2 arrows. Barrier would still be worth 10x that at 5k barrier at full + guardian spirit doubling the burst value of barrier (not everyone has unyielding).

abc1921034518

abc1921034518
  • Members
  • 102 posts
Looks great! Will the challenges, banners and icons for the new classes be released soon?
  • Jailson_MMB likes this

jerky

jerky
  • Members
  • 213 posts

I APPROVE

Grizzly

Grizzly
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Like this post if you were holding onto a potentially good Berserk item for like friggin ever and finally scrapped it last week because you'd lost hope that it would ever be patched <_<. Berserk items will now be among some of the best items, for very promoted players.

• Ispan, BadgerladDK and K_A_Rnage like this

Gya

Gya
  • Members
  • 1,523 posts

I'd actually like to lessen the strength of Barrier by about 20-30%

St Bluke, pls, no! The forum will drown in salty tears, many of which will be mine.

I quite like barrier as it is. Because I'm a coward.
  • BadgerladDK, Dekibra and Freedheart like this

yarpenthemad21

yarpenthemad21
  • Members
  • 820 posts

Maybe boosting armor when guard is up?
Like 100% armor bonus when damage is dealt to guard. It should help with archers and average damage hits.