Photo

A "how to trade yer leathers 'n metals for cloth" guide.

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Black Mambo

Black Mambo
  • Members
  • 199 posts

POPULAR

So you want to craft those Mage armors but are choked by the lack of cloth?
Well, worry not for now you can trade in your worthless Leathers 'n Metals for Cloths!

How to:
1.) You need to craft a low level Staff upgrade that uses only Metal & Leathers for crafting. The best two are: Disciple Staff Blade & Spiked Staff Grip. Both cost 2 Leather & 2 Metal, each.
2.) Once crafted, salvage the upgrade you'll get a Random Level 1 Cloth, it can be Cotton, Plaideweave or Silk. Usually the drop is in this priority order, from what I've noticed: Silk is most common, followed by Plaideweave and then Cotton.
3.) Need Tier 2/3 Cloth? Craft a Tier 2/3 upgrade that uses only Metal & Leathers for crafting, then salvage it.
4.) ???
5.) Profit.

Oh, and crafting material doesn't matter so don't waste good metals and leathers. Just use Ram, Druffalo, type leathers same for metal Iron, Drakestone, Onyx, etc. 

Thanks!  B)

Ignore if you already found it out!  :rolleyes:

• Dragkonias, Samahl na Revas, uzivatel and 53 others like this

Proto

Proto
  • Members
  • 1,775 posts

Nice!

capn233

capn233
  • Members
  • 17,255 posts

This may be the greatest strategy thread of all time.

• Freedheart, Black Mambo and Kenny Bania like this

Dragkonias

Dragkonias
  • Members
  • 101 posts
Great tip.
  • Freedheart likes this

Bocochoco

Bocochoco
  • Members
  • 746 posts
I'm a little giddy to come home now

Pee Jae

Pee Jae
  • Members
  • 4,085 posts

This is probably the biggest "D'oh!" in the history of Dragon Age games.

• SofaJockey, Alan Drifter13, jerky and 2 others like this

Black Mambo

Black Mambo
  • Members
  • 199 posts

This is probably the biggest "D'oh!" in the history of Dragon Age games.

Not quite sure if I follow you, care to elaborate?  :?

Black Mambo

Black Mambo
  • Members
  • 199 posts

I'm a little giddy to come home now

O, you better hurry up! Weekend challenge is kill 6 Dragons, i.e. 30 cloths! :D

JAMiAM

JAMiAM
  • Members
  • 853 posts

A reference to The Simpsons character Homer who exclaims "D'oh!" whenever something happens that should have been obvious to him (but wasn't).  I'm sure it was meant as an efficient way of saying "Thank you.  Why the **** didn't I figure that out before!"

• Pee Jae, Jeremiah12LGeek and Black Mambo like this

SofaJockey

SofaJockey
  • Members
  • 5,851 posts

The OP has exhibited genius.

There are indeed among the assembled posters many instances of

homer-doh.gif

(just as well I had 6 Dragon Calls ready, though I don't plan to use all 6  ;) )

• Dekibra, Black Mambo, jerky and 1 other like this

Jeremiah12LGeek

Jeremiah12LGeek
  • Members
  • 23,715 posts

I was going to explain the reference, but JAMiAM beat me to it:

A reference to The Simpsons character Homer who exclaims "D'oh!" whenever something happens that should have been obvious to him (but wasn't).  I'm sure it was meant as an efficient way of saying "Thank you.  Why the **** didn't I figure that out before!"

And I confess, I wish I had sorted this out back when I was still playing DA:I. I'll undoubtedly use this trick whenever I do end up playing again.

• Black Mambo likes this

Black Mambo

Black Mambo
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Ahhaa okay, now I get it! Never been much of a Simpsons guy #GoTeamSouthPark! :D

Well anyways, this "trick" has been made available from today, at the least, or basically whenever BW added the new schematics in DAMP.
Because IF I RECALL correctly, these two Staff upgrades weren't available before today, otherwise someone else would've obviously figured it out by now! :D

Before this addition there were like maybe 4 or 5 Staff Upgrades available and probably none had Metal + Leather, I could be wrong in which case D'oh! ;)

• Pee Jae likes this

Spin-Orbit

Spin-Orbit
  • Members
  • 890 posts

just tested with this alchemical formula. Created tier 3 inscribed staff grip that required 6 metal and 3 leather. Salvage gave me back a tier 3 cloth, random it seems. However I got Imperial Vestment Cotton which seem to me one of the rarest mat. with enough of this you can make a "Engraved Longbow Grip" that gives 36% HoK for a bow!

• HunterKipling, Pee Jae, Freedheart and 1 other like this

Benman1964

Benman1964
  • Members
  • 295 posts

The OP has exhibited genius.

There are indeed among the assembled posters many instances of

homer-doh.gif

(just as well I had 6 Dragon Calls ready, though I don't plan to use all 6  ;) )

DOUGH?

• SofaJockey likes this

Pee Jae

Pee Jae
  • Members
  • 4,085 posts

I completely exhausted all of my metal and every druffalo hide. Got tons of royale sea silk, king's willow weave and about 8 imperial vestment cotton. That last is some rare stuffs indeed.

Also, if you're doing this to craft armors, make sure you save some metals and leather for it.  :)

• Black Mambo likes this

Black Mambo

Black Mambo
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Also, if you're doing this to craft armors, make sure you save some metals and leather for it.  :)

This.

Although unless one is a completionist, crafting 4-5 armors per class is more than enough. I generally check Shadohz75's YouTube Channel to see which color armor I like and I craft only those, no point IMO to craft all armors. Having said that pre-patch 7 I had all the armors crafted because there was literally nothing else to craft.  <_< 

At least now we got schematics, hoping for Armor Upgrades next. Can't wait to craft some ranged defense boots and gloves! :P

Black Mambo

Black Mambo
  • Members
  • 199 posts

just tested with this alchemical formula. Created tier 3 inscribed staff grip that required 6 metal and 3 leather. Salvage gave me back a tier 3 cloth, random it seems. However I got Imperial Vestment Cotton which seem to me one of the rarest mat. with enough of this you can make a "Engraved Longbow Grip" that gives 36% HoK for a bow!

Slik -> Weave -> Cotton.
That's how the priority goes, Silk being the most common, but salvage returns are random.
Engraved Grip is totally Overkill on a PbtM, even more if you have a +200HP belt(I do)! :P

SofaJockey

SofaJockey
  • Members
  • 5,851 posts

... unless one is a completionist,...

yep, thanks to the OP my 176 armor sets are now complete with the addition of the 8 sets for Zither.

Thanks very much, crafting and salvaging 80 Disciple Staff Blades did the trick  :) .

• Black Mambo likes this

coldsteelblue

coldsteelblue
  • Members
  • 579 posts

Damn, why didn't anyone think of this sooner, I feel so foolish

• Kenny Bania likes this

akots1

akots1
  • Members
  • 1,220 posts

OMG, it's so simple it's brilliant! Got to rush before they patch it! Convert all the irons!

Black Mambo

Black Mambo
  • Members
  • 199 posts

OMG, it's so simple it's brilliant! Got to rush before the patch it! Convert all the irons!

I doubt they will patch it. If you remember, you could salvage Mage armor upgrades for cloth too. It's the same mechanic.

Black Mambo

Black Mambo
  • Members
  • 199 posts

yep, thanks to the OP my 176 armor sets are now complete with the addition of the 8 sets for Zither.

Thanks very much, crafting and salvaging 80 Disciple Staff Blades did the trick  :) .

Hehe, I'm tempted to finish off the new character's armors too. Only ones I have completed at the original characters.

AbyssMessiah

AbyssMessiah
  • Members
  • 135 posts

Archmage Grip gives cloth for metals only :) Tier 3 cloth.

• Minuos and Proto like this

Broganisity

Broganisity
  • Members
  • 5,336 posts

Now that's strategy! :lol:

Black Mambo

Black Mambo
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Archmage Grip gives cloth for metals only :) Tier 3 cloth.

Yeah, but it's better to balance out metals and leathers, IMO.
Really depends on how much you materials you have at your disposal.