Photo

Fereldan Castle Strategy Guide

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

apocalypse_owl

apocalypse_owl
  • Members
  • 318 posts
x-posting Penguins latest guide from reddit for all you lovely bunch :)

Hi all, since perilous pugs on fereldan castle end up in disaster, I thought id write up the basic strategy I try and implement when playing on fereldan castle. I suggest watching the video as there is some examples which I have drawn incredibly detailed diagrams for.

Hope this helps! :)

This guide will tell you zone by zone the best areas to lock down as a team, as well as highlighting the most dangerous areas to be, so you know where to avoid when possible, thus giving you and your team the best chance of survival. 

In zone 1, you have a very limited choice of choke points, however, there is a few areas which you can position your team in to manipulate the spawns to your advantage.

The area I initially lock down is here. Then I progress up towards the stairs before the bridge here. These areas will pull enemy ranged units towards you, the first for obvious reasons, and the second because they cannot gain solid line of sight until they cross the bridge when you are at the foot of the stairs. 
The two main spawn points for this zone are either side of the bridge. You ideally want to block off the spawn before the stairs and have the enemies spawn at the end of the bridge to prevent you from being attacked from both sides, and this can be done by simply not crossing the bridge. 

There is two areas which the dragon will strafe over, dealing heavy aoe elemental damage as it passes over, and these areas are highlighted here. 

High value targets here are Terrors, Gladiators and Guards. 

Zone 2 again does not have very good chokepoints, which can be problematic, as despair demons, knights and mages all spawn here, so a more aggressive approach will likely be the most successful. My strategy is to attack the first group of enemies from behind the wall as shown here. 

When they respawn, Humanoid enemies will come down the ladder on your right, and non humanoids will come down the stairs behind you, so be conscious of this. When the first group stops respawning, push up past the wall and up the stairs infront of you. Do not stay in this area though, as the Dragon can pass over and attack you with its elemental breath. Then aggressively push into the top spawn, taking out the despair demons, knights and mages as a priority. You should becautious of enemies respawning from either side of you, though these enemies will be small in number and relatively manageable.  

Zone 3 has varying difficulty depending on which faction you face. If you are fighting Venatori or Red Templars, then take out the enemies at the top, trigger the drawbridge, aggro the last group then drop down the ladder as shown and lock down the room below. Humanoid enemies will drop down the ladder one at a time, allowing you to kill them as soon as they arrive, however, non humanoid enemies, most notably Horrors and Shadows will take the scenic route and arrive through this doorway here, so be aware of that. 

If you are fighting demons however, then you will need to take a whole new approach. Locking down the room is not an option as there is no humanoid enemies that are able to drop down the ladder and despair demons will throw down ice runes underneath you and knock you down repeatedly, even if they don’t have line of sight on you. Therefore, the best course of approach is for 2 or 3 of your team members to hold the line over the drawbridge, using the buildings for cover when you need it, while the others flank around the right hand side. This will split the aggro, and allow both teams ranged units to pick off the despair demons one at a time, without getting overwhelmed by melee units.

Do not however fight on the drawbridge itself, or around the gong as The dragon will perform strafe runs around these areas. 

High priority targets for this area are despair demons, Horrors, Shadows and Stalkers.

Zone 4 is often the most difficult zone, because of the limited cover and elevated positioning of ranged units on the battlements. As soon as you reach this zone, head left, up the stairs and lock down the area here. The initial group of enemies will follow you in from behind, so make sure this is dealt with before aggroing the next group. The front doorway will act as a killzone, and your ranged units can position themselves here to pick off ranged units positioned on the stairs, or more importantly, units positioned here. Do keep in mind that the dragon can still hit you with elemental projectiles when in this building.

There isn’t much strategy here other than just hold the line. Heavy units such as Pride demons or Behemoths will block the doorway, preventing other units from coming through, so you should never be overrun assuming you have some sort of crowd control ability present. 

The only thing you really need to be concerned about is shadows and stalkers that may slip through and attack from behind, otherwise, just be patient. Don’t run out to attack archers or stray enemies with low health or you will most likely be turned into a pincushion on the floor.

High priority targets are Mages, Shadows, Stalkers and Archers.

Lastly, the dragon fight. First, split off and wind up the trebuchets 7 turns in preparation for when the dragon lands on top of the towers while the dragon is flying around. Then, close in on the dragon and attack it when it lands. Do not stay too far from your team, and don’t stay too far from the dragon itself, as its hurricane style attack will deal heavy damage to any player not in close proximity to the dragon itself, often killing them. 
When the dragon flys off and lands on the tower, you should all head towards the trebuchet opposite. 

Dragonlings will close in on you, so make sure the player manning the trebuchet is protected. Fire the trebuchet, and rewind it 7 turns to prep for the next launch.

Repeat until the dragon is dead.  

Congratulations! You have now completed fereldan castle. Enjoy your increased XP and disappointing loot drops. 

• akots1, Menthus, monicasubzero and 2 others like this

Robbiesan

Robbiesan
  • Members
  • 2,543 posts

Thanks Owl/Penguin.  Yeah, pretty much how I play this map too.  Cool Beats!

Beerfish

Beerfish
  • Members
  • 23,825 posts

Some good advice.  I do think that level needs some tweaking though as it has quickly become a virtual horde fest where you find the right spot and let them come running into massively long battles.  A few too many main stay camping points right now.

• Robbiesan likes this

Robbiesan

Robbiesan
  • Members
  • 2,543 posts

Some good advice.  I do think that level needs some tweaking though as it has quickly become a virtual horde fest where you find the right spot and let them come running into massively long battles.  A few too many main stay camping points right now.

True enough.  Played on Thr last night using Archer and LBoG.  With that passive (automatic crit from flank) and was OHK pretty much every mook coming down the ladder.  Pretty easy to do.

graythegeek

graythegeek
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Good advice there for any difficulty. A fair few pugs I've been on have wiped on wave 4 threatening.

capn233

capn233
  • Members
  • 17,255 posts

Nice guide.  I am a bit surprised that the trebuchets were recommended though.  It seems like they usually end up being more trouble than they are worth, especially if you are talking random games.

Jpudify

Jpudify
  • Members
  • 358 posts

If you have the class to open the first treasure room door, you can climb the ladder and open the door then hop back down. Makes for a nice choke point...

apocalypse_owl

apocalypse_owl
  • Members
  • 318 posts

Nice guide.  I am a bit surprised that the trebuchets were recommended though.  It seems like they usually end up being more trouble than they are worth, especially if you are talking random games.

They do about 20k damage for each hit, plus it forced teammates to group together, so theres that too

Gya

Gya
  • Members
  • 1,523 posts
+1.

Additional tip for Avvar at the zone 3 ladder: crushing leap and lightning hakkon smash thingy on an enemy at the bottom of the ladder will hit enemies at the top. Alas, ladies wrath doesn't seem to.

apocalypse_owl

apocalypse_owl
  • Members
  • 318 posts

+1.

Additional tip for Avvar at the zone 3 ladder: crushing leap and lightning hakkon smash thingy on an enemy at the bottom of the ladder will hit enemies at the top. Alas, ladies wrath doesn't seem to.

A lot of abilities dont seem to have a limit on the Y axis. Power chord for example is pretty effective like this.

ALTBOULI

ALTBOULI
  • Members
  • 2,700 posts

A lot of abilities dont seem to have a limit on the Y axis. Power chord for example is pretty effective like this.

Yeah I found wall of fire to be very useful in this regard, hitting multiple enemies waiting to come down the ladder
  • Robbiesan likes this

Texasmotiv

Texasmotiv
  • Members
  • 1,254 posts

I love to shoot a walking bomb at the guys in line to come down the ladder. Good fun.

• Robbiesan likes this

Torkelight

Torkelight
  • Members
  • 668 posts

Enjoy your increased XP and disappointing loot drops. 

Haha, fitting :)

Cirvante

Cirvante
  • Members
  • 4,067 posts

Using the Trebuchets is kinda annoying. I prefer to just go right in front of the dragon and shoot it in the face when I'm playing a ranged character.

• Kungsarme likes this

Robbiesan

Robbiesan
  • Members
  • 2,543 posts

I also use the Trebuchets.  In the right situation you can finish off the dragon while it's perched on a building. 

capn233

capn233
  • Members
  • 17,255 posts

Using the Trebuchets is kinda annoying. I prefer to just go right in front of the dragon and shoot it in the face when I'm playing a ranged character.

Yep.  Melee can fend off the 'lings.

I am not entirely sure what composition (besides maybe pure melee) is really best using the trebuchets, outside of low party DPS.

apocalypse_owl

apocalypse_owl
  • Members
  • 318 posts

Trebuchets deal roughly 20k damage per hit. Unless you are in a coordinated team then its unlikely you will hit that much damage. Only an Archer or Zither could even come close to that on their own.

Sulaco_7

Sulaco_7
  • Members
  • 1,312 posts

The camping (and Virtuoso) is what makes the perilous castle accessible to low geared and low promoted players.  This is a good thing.  Farming dragon weapons is what is keeping this game "alive".  Having a "good" chance to get end game gear compels many to stick with this game.  You take this away from the main player base, and they will just decide to go play Witcher 3 instead.

Personally, I would suggest no changes.

Beerfish

Beerfish
  • Members
  • 23,825 posts

The safest place I find is right under his belly.  I mean 'her' belly.  No matter what class, I run right under the beast and try and concentrate on a leg.

• DragonRacer likes this

Beerfish

Beerfish
  • Members
  • 23,825 posts

The camping (and Virtuoso) is what makes the perilous castle accessible to low geared and low promoted players.  This is a good thing.  Farming dragon weapons is what is keeping this game "alive".  Having a "good" chance to get end game gear compels many to stick with this game.  You take this away from the main player base, and they will just decide to go play Witcher 3 instead.

Personally, I would suggest no changes.

Probably all true.  It's just not very fun to play after a short period of time imo.

capn233

capn233
  • Members
  • 17,255 posts

Trebuchets deal roughly 20k damage per hit. Unless you are in a coordinated team then its unlikely you will hit that much damage. Only an Archer or Zither could even come close to that on their own.

So basically an trebuchets are for teams coordinated enough to go to the trebuchet, but not coordinated enough to go right below it and shoot it?

There are a lot of permutations where 1 to 4 characters can do similar damage to the dragon.  I will give this a whirl with some friends though to compare damage, since some don't have high promotes anyway.

The safest place I find is right under his belly.  I mean 'her' belly.  No matter what class, I run right under the beast and try and concentrate on a leg.

Cirvante was probably talking about when it is on one of the rooftops.

SpaceV3gan

SpaceV3gan
  • Members
  • 2,379 posts

I've been going right below the Dragon to attack it (when it sits on the top of the tower) since Day 1. I've never fired a trebuchet nor I've seen someone firing one. I must have killed over 200 Dragons by now this way (with all sorts of teams, not just the super geared and super promoted ones). Thus I remain skeptical about the trebuchets utility, unless one is running a full melee party or the ranged attack damage is really bad.

Catastrophy

Catastrophy
  • Members
  • 8,448 posts

Yea, me too. Come in from side, attack one of rear legs.

Aetika

Aetika
  • Members
  • 3,165 posts

Yea, me too. Come in from side, attack one of rear legs.

Just have to be carefull, she kicks back from time to time, I was once kicked to death because I am an idiot and wasn´t paying attention to her legs.  :blush:

Catastrophy

Catastrophy
  • Members
  • 8,448 posts

Just have to be carefull, she kicks back from time to time, I was once kicked to death because I am an idiot and wasn´t paying attention to her legs.  :blush:

If you attack the front of her hind legs you're pretty safe. It gets iffy when she turns wildly. I often played with Isabella and have the gangway skill which is great in any situation of Dragon fight.

Dragon AoE attack? Gangway!

You need to get in close again? Gangway!

Dragonlings in your back? Gangway!

Just like Tech Armour - it's very useful.

• Aetika and dstrawberrygirl like this