• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

TheThirdRace

TheThirdRace
  • Members
  • 1,511 posts
Introduction
Tired of...
  • Playing the turtle with the Legionnaire?
  • Trying to get to your targets for it to die just before you reach it?
  • Checking endgame medals and see you got 15 kills or less?
Here's how I build my Legionnaire offensively and how to transform him into one of the most mobile character of the set.

You'll also be able to rake kills like you never thought possible. Just to show you how good this build can be, a personal record of mine is 173 kills on Perilous. It was with a full team and they were not in the fade...

Note: This build works amazing on Perilous, it will also work for lower difficulties using lower quality items.

The raw build
http://da-skills.net...1,11100,011,1,0

Essential skills
  • Payback Strike
  • Lunge and Slash
  • Shield Bash
Essential passives
  • Turn the Bolt
  • Unyielding
  • Warrior's Resolve
  • Flow of Battle
  • Bear Mauls the Wolves (honorable mention, not essential)
  • Turn the Blade (honorable mention, not essential)
Essential equipment
  • A good 1 handed weapon (preferably Longsword of the Dragon, Caliban or anything over 170 base damage)
  • Superb Stamina Amulet (+50 Stamina)
  • Lunge and Slash ring (+30% damage)
  • 20% to 30% Heal on Kill (usually a combination of weapon upgrade and a 10% Superb Heal on Kill ring)
  • Dwarven Proven shield (+5% damage/enemy in the area) (honorable mention, not essential)
Unlocking order
  • Level 1 -> 2: Turn the Bolt
  • Level 2 -> 7: Bee line to Unyielding (gives you some leeway)
  • Level 7 -> 9: Lunge and Slash + upgrade
  • Level 9 -> 11: Warrior's Resolve
  • Level 11 -> 13: Shield Bash + Upgrade
  • Level 13 -> 16: Flow of Battle, Payback Strike upgrade, Bear Mauls the Wolves
  • Level 16 -> 19: Anything you want, but I bee line to Turn the Blade
  • Level 19 -> 20: I promote...
The strategy
The philosophy of this build is to stun and knockback the enemies so they actually can't attack. That means that instead of going the usual defense route, I go batshit crazy on offense.

When you approach an enemy, you open with Lunge and Slash from as far as you can. There are 3 important reasons for that.
  • You close the gap much faster between the enemy and you
  • The extra damage from the distance your travelled will usually outright kill the enemy on Perilous or leave it almost dead
  • Because of the long distance travelled, Lunge and Slash have no cooldown, this is very important!!!
Since you're now usually in the middle of a group, the next skill to use is Shield Bash. Shield Bash has a small AOE effect so you can actually knockdown more than 1 target in a close group. This is where Shield Bash shine the most because while a couple enemies are on their backs, they don't attack you but more importantly they don't attack your teammates either.

By now, there's usually 1 enemy that escaped your first 2 skills and hit you. No problem, Payback Strike is now primed to do extra damage to everything around that enemy and knockback or stun anything still standing. Again, that locks the battlefield so you and your teammates aren't attacked.

If anything is still alive, just use basic attacks with Shield Wall cancelling. Shield Wall cancelling will increase your DPS while at the same time give you a chance to build Guard on a random block.

Usually, only a faction boss is still alive after a round of skills + auto-attack. The good new is, every skills is on a 8 seconds cooldown!!! That means you can rinse and repeat almost with no pause, simply use auto-attacks for the rare times you're out of Stamina.

Obviously that's the best scenario, sometimes it doesn't go as well as I described here. So here are other situations where you need to react a certain way to survive.

The first thing that comes to mind is that enemies can also be spread out, which limits the effectiveness of the trifecta offensive skills. Well, there are 2 things that save you here. Remember I said Lunge and Slash has no cooldown if launched from a good distance? Well, that's where it comes handy. You can theoretically just use Lunge and Slash to kill entire spread out groups by simply targeting an enemy that is "far enough" from you. No cooldown means you'll chain those over and over and over. When Lunge and Slash is on cooldown because you couldn't use it from far enough, you still have Shield Bash. The upgrade lets you close the gap from a lower distance than Lunge and Slash, but it still knockback the enemy and deal amazing damage. That means that you have 2 abilities that can close the gap between you and the enemy while potentially affecting more than 1 enemy, incapacitating or killing them, useable every 8 seconds, less with Flow of Battle. This will make your usual Legionnaire one of the character with the most mobility of the whole cast. It's all action, almost no downtime!

The second situation that isn't ideal is when there are multiple archers shooting at you from farter than Lunge and Slash can travel. That's where you use Shield Wall. It offers flawless protection from damage, but it is very costly in Stamina so don't use it too much otherwise you'll need to auto-attack to regenerate enough Stamina to get the trifecta offensive skills going on again.

The third situation is when the enemy archers do their back step of death... Shield Wall, that's the only skill that will keep you alive when that happens. Even with the best armor, full Guard and 1000 HP, you simply drop dead if you don't use Shield Wall. Obviously, this patch is supposed to fix that now, but it's still important to mention Shield Wall could fill that role. Unyielding is also a great help when you couldn't stop attacking fast enough to activate Shield Wall.

The last situation I can think of right now is simply when you couldn't kill anything to get back health with Heal on Kill. It happens, sometimes your allies kill "your" target and you're left in the open with not much health to fend for yourself. Unyielding is pretty much your lifeline here, it usually gives you enough time to kill 1 or 2 enemies so you can get back to about 40 to 70% health and keep going. Or were you thinking your health was always full the whole time I explain my strategy with this build? Of course you're constantly losing health and regaining it, you have no defense skill and no fast way to generate Guard so your health is all you have. This also makes this Legionnaire build like the Reaver, constantly struggling between low and high health.

What you need to remember
This build is not invincible, I die like everyone else even if it's not that often. You also need to constantly be on the offensive or you'll die quickly, in that sense it's a lot like the Arcane Warrior with Fade Shield but you're using your Health instead. You won't be able to solo with this either. It requires a pretty darn good awareness of what's going on to play it right. It also requires some specific skills, passives and equipment too. But despite all that, it still works wonderfully on Perilous.

Conclusion
Allright, I think I covered pretty much everything for that build so I'll finish this post by saying this...

If you see a crazy Dwarf charging enemies like a rhino (Lunge and Slash), thinking to himself "be the canon ball" (Shield Bash) or trying to mimic the Templar Commander "Spin to Win" but failing due to a lack of balance after 1 spin (Payback Strike), there are a lot of chances that's gonna be me and I'm gonna love every minute of it :)
  • Vlaid, Felis Menari, Spectr61 and 19 others like this

Laforgus

Laforgus
  • Members
  • 878 posts

stock-photo-26459381-stamp-premium-quali

I approve this, saw him on action last night!

• SpaceV3gan likes this

Hellsteeth30

Hellsteeth30
  • Members
  • 1,018 posts
Already invented this build.....patent pending.

Seriously though, nice work. Not even a speck of douchebag in there either.

TheThirdRace

TheThirdRace
  • Members
  • 1,511 posts

Not even a speck of douchebag in there either.

I must say I hesitated to state my best run in amount of kills, I didn't want to be perceived as someone trying to show an e-peen... I'm proud of it of course, it's not often someone can claim that with a Legionnaire of all things, but that's not what the comment was for. It was to show how much it can transform the Legionnaire into something we don't see every day...
  • BreakJohn and ParthianShotX like this

BadgerladDK

BadgerladDK
  • Members
  • 2,063 posts

Looks like a damned fun build, and mine just happens to currently be level 1. Might take this for a spin.

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

Introduction
Tired of...

Playing the turtle

Nevah! Ninja Turtle Powah!

Shield wall is actually good to keep with this all offense combination, believe it or not. Shield wall when you have other shield guys charging you or trying to mace you, then they'll be stunned by the recoil, and then your Shield bash or Lunge and Slash can detonate a basic combo (let alone mage and rogue incapacitates)

Also for equipment, don't forget to add as much critical chance as you can reasonably afford, for extra flow of battle cooldown and damage.

TheThirdRace

TheThirdRace
  • Members
  • 1,511 posts

Shield wall is actually good to keep with this all offense combination, believe it or not.

Yeah, it actually synergize very good in this build. Use it more "offensively" for attack cancelling but still use it in tight situations to keep you alive.

I've tried other skills, but nothing was as reliable as Shield Wall. That made me reconsider the "trash" tag I had put on it a long time ago...

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

Yeah, it actually synergize very good in this build. Use it more "offensively" for attack cancelling but still use it in tight situations to keep you alive.

Yeah I've done this build before and I like it. Currently I've dropped PBS in favor of TTD for boss killing (forgoing debuff cancel in favor of active Shield Wall) , but I've done the all offense spec too and it works great if you have a Stamina Amulet. I don't recommend three offense kits if you don't have one, and recommend swapping one out for another ability like TTD, Counterstrike, or Walking Fortress.

The specifics of the player's individual gear set mean they need to tune builds to their current promotion and gear. Sometimes that means more or one skill type or less of another.

Either way, Legoman is fun and it really is possible to be a mix of single and multi-target DPS

Vlaid

Vlaid
  • Members
  • 17 posts

This is actually the build I've been using for quite a while now.

Except I go with Walking Fortress as my 4th skill for generating guard/high uptime of immunity so I can stay offensive.

Dragon Sword+Shield of the emperor.

Not sure if the 5% damage bonus / enemy near stacks between Caliban and Shield of the Emperor though.

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

Not sure if the 5% damage bonus / enemy near stacks between Caliban and Shield of the Emperor though.

Shield of the Emperor is the 15% heal, not the 5% damage. Preliminary tests indicate the Dwarven Proving Stacks with Caliban in Multiplayer (it does not in singleplayer), but more testing is needed to confirm.

Spin-Orbit

Spin-Orbit
  • Members
  • 890 posts

This is actually the build I've been using for quite a while now.

Except I go with Walking Fortress as my 4th skill for generating guard/high uptime of immunity so I can stay offensive.

Dragon Sword+Shield of the emperor.

Dwarven Proving shield has the 5% damage bonus as well as the Caliban but does not stack with each other
so you can take a Caliban /Shield of Emperor or Longsword of the Dragon/Dwaeven Proving Shield as pairs.

BTW OP nice refreshing post

Vlaid

Vlaid
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Oh, right. I meant March of the Everlasting.

I have March of the Everlasting+Shield of the Emperor but no Caliban so I guess I'll be using it for a while yet.

jerky

jerky
  • Members
  • 213 posts
so the first time I tried this build, bottom of the leaderboard. I figure it's a learn to play issue.

second time, 3rd place on the leaderboards. It's still a learn to play issue but I'm getting disappointed.

third round, top of the leaderboard with over a hundred kills, and out of a treasure chest room I get a Sulevan blade!

needless to say, this is my new Legionnaire build for all time!
  • DragonRacer and ParthianShotX like this

TheThirdRace

TheThirdRace
  • Members
  • 1,511 posts

so the first time I tried this build, bottom of the leaderboard. I figure it's a learn to play issue.

second time, 3rd place on the leaderboards. It's still a learn to play issue but I'm getting disappointed.

third round, top of the leaderboard with over a hundred kills, and out of a treasure chest room I get a Sulevan blade!

needless to say, this is my new Legionnaire build for all time!

Yeah, it's not an "easy" to play build, you kinda need to understand the why and how, but when you get the hang of it, it's very powerful. Glad to see you kept trying and it finally clicked for you.

TheThirdRace

TheThirdRace
  • Members
  • 1,511 posts
As I said in another thread, the crazy thing is the Legionnaire was my one of my least favorite character 2 months ago. I had 8 promotions total for Warriors (like 2 for Legionnaire), I hated playing them.

Now I have 19 promotions just with that Legionnaire build, it made Warriors fun for me. Glad to see some people are taking interest in the build, I wouldn't mind seeing more offensive Lego in PUGs.

ALTBOULI

ALTBOULI
  • Members
  • 2,700 posts
Nice build. I'm currently using an offensive Legionnaire build also, except that I use Unbowed and combat roll along with shield bash and lunge and slash. I have Caliban and the shield of the emperor so I use 2 abilitiy rings instead of the HOK (Shield bash and lung and slash).

jerky

jerky
  • Members
  • 213 posts

Yeah, it's not an "easy" to play build, you kinda need to understand the why and how, but when you get the hang of it, it's very powerful. Glad to see you kept trying and it finally clicked for you.

Yeah about halfway through my second match with it, it clicked for me with the attack sequence.

Are you on console though? I find shield wall canceling to be tough with a controller, so I sprint cancel. I found myself not really using shield wall at all, so I'll probably swap if for walking fortress.

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

As I said in another thread, the crazy thing is the Legionnaire was my one of my least favorite character 2 months ago. I had 8 promotions total for Warriors (like 2 for Legionnaire), I hated playing them.

Can confirm. Third hated warriors.

kmeeg

kmeeg
  • Members
  • 372 posts

+1 for build 3'rdRace. I've seen your crazy dwarf in action  :lol:

That build is definitely one of the most fun builds there are. My wife loves playing that build when she plays on my account.

To quote my wife one evening playing the offence legionnaire:

"This is giving me a lady boner'

Its Waffle Time

Its Waffle Time
  • Members
  • 228 posts

+1 for build 3'rdRace. I've seen your crazy dwarf in action  :lol:

That build is definitely one of the most fun builds there are. My wife loves playing that build when she plays on my account.

To quote my wife one evening playing the offence legionnaire:

"This is giving me a lady boner'

Would've been better if it came with WaffleCake.

• Drasca and kmeeg like this

kmeeg

kmeeg
  • Members
  • 372 posts

Would've been better if it came with WaffleCake.

This is the truth   :wub:

• Drasca likes this

Westrum

Westrum
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Does Dwarven Proving Shield stack with Caliban?

Edit: Nvm, I am blind.

DragonRacer

DragonRacer
  • Members
  • 10,012 posts

Yeah about halfway through my second match with it, it clicked for me with the attack sequence.

Are you on console though? I find shield wall canceling to be tough with a controller, so I sprint cancel. I found myself not really using shield wall at all, so I'll probably swap if for walking fortress.

Pretty sure he's PC. Much like PC was able to reload-cancel on ME3MP using the medigel button whereas on console that was not a viable method, I'm thinking shield wall for animation-canceling is not as easy on console as just tapping sprint to do so is.

Hellsteeth30

Hellsteeth30
  • Members
  • 1,018 posts

Pretty sure he's PC. Much like PC was able to reload-cancel on ME3MP using the medigel button whereas on console that was not a viable method, I'm thinking shield wall for animation-canceling is not as easy on console as just tapping sprint to do so is.

It can be done but it's far trickier.

L3 on the left stick is our sprint button but the controls are not even close to as responsive as ME3. Not to mention the lag is worse.

TheThirdRace

TheThirdRace
  • Members
  • 1,511 posts
Yes, I'm on PC.

I bound Shield Wall to my mouse "sniper" button so I can access it more easily. Using Shield Wall as attack cancelling has 1 advantage over running: sometimes it's a free block which means no health loss and some Guard. Using sprinting would give you the same DPS, minus the other advantages. Although I understand it might not be as easy for consoles...

I've also tried other skills than Shield Wall, but none were able to fill the role quite as nicely as Shield Wall. It has to do with the order you need to unlock your skills (now that I think of it, I should have put that in the guide...)
  • Level 1 -> 2: Turn the Bolt
  • Level 2 -> 7: Bee line to Unyielding (gives you some leeway)
  • Level 7 -> 9: Lunge and Slash + upgrade
  • Level 9 -> 11: Warrior's Resolve
  • Level 11 -> 13: Shield Bash + Upgrade
  • Level 13 -> 16: Flow of Battle, Payback Strike upgrade, Bear Mauls the Wolves
  • Level 16 -> 19: Anything you want, but I bee line to Turn the Blade
  • Level 19 -> 20: I promote...
As you can see, before I get to anything on the Guardian tree, I already spend most of my skill points. That's one of the biggest reason I simply stick to Shield Wall. Also, Shield Wall allows you to control the outcome of many situations that no other ability could with the same efficiency.

Personally, I find Walking Fortress unreliable to build Guard with that specific build:
  • My allies kill fast so not a lot of enemies will have time to attack enough to build Guard
  • I don't stand idle, Payback Strike and Shield Bash will knockback the enemies so they don't really attack much, in turn not building Guard
I kinda had similar problems with Unbowed, Counterstrike and To The Death. Enemies die fast and the animations are too long so I lost most of my Guard by the time I'm ready to move again. Shield Wall allows me to keep the pressure on the enemies, it's almost instant.

I'm not saying other abilities don't have their place, I'm just saying they're not ideal in this build because they'll put more emphasis on defense rather than offense. Shield Wall was the lesser of 2 evils and I must admit it kinda rock doing it...
  • jerky likes this