Gya's Ultimate Hipster Duelist Build

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Gya

Gya
  • Members
  • 1,523 posts
**UPDATED**

A little context - the hipster no bolt duelist obviously started out as a joke, but then I wondered if it was possible to make her perilous viable without being completely carried. The answer? Yes.

I like boobs. Supple, leather boobs” – Isabela (This quote is definitely 100% accurate)

Ffro741m.png

Duelist OP? Perilous too easy? Want to p*ss off min-maxers?

If so, look no further. With my patented ‘Hipsterbela’ build, you will become the ultimate hipster, and your friends/pugs will only be able to look on in envy as you watch them kill everything from the fade.

Abilities:

1. Evade+
2. Keelhaul+
3. Flashing Steel+ (you can replace flashing steel with parry for UBER-HIPSTER GIGA-POINTS)
4. Ambush

Why so hipster? We don’t take bolt. That’s right, it’s waaaay too mainstream. If you use bolt, you’re probably a narc or something. Instead, we use keelhaul for CC, but also to stack elusive. True hipsters don't stack elusive, however; to really get the most out of this build, your health bar should be red and flashing.

How does it work? There are a few skill rotations which we can use to maximise time in the fade.
First, it should be noted that as with all hipster builds, this will only work in a team, because otherwise there will be no-one around to see how hipster you are.

Secondly, stamina could be an issue (see gear section later). For that reason, we will have to auto-attack/run away with evade a lot.

Playstyle:

Scenario 1 – “Take down a high priority target but don’t quite finish it off and then run away”

You wait for your teammates to engage the enemies. Once they’ve done their “I’ve been aggro’d” animation, choose a high priority target and use ambush, preferably from behind. Don't use Keelhaul first, as you will almost certainly gain aggro, losing the 900% damage bonus. You should be able to get in a couple of auto-attacks. If it isn’t dead, it will now be taunted and aggro'd on you, so use evade to run away like a coward. If the enemy is still alive, try to keep using a mix of auto-attacks and evade to finish it off. Worst case, run back to your teammates and let them deal with it. You have fair trade coffee to critique.

Scenario 2 – “Crappy crowd control”

Er… Use Keelhaul. Pretty much like how everyone has been using it since launch. It’s fairly self-explanatory.
Useful if you see a group of enemies that includes a high HP moron unit eg. a venatori brute, red trampler (copyright @ Beerfish) kernigit, Eric Prydz demon, druffalo. Bonus points for tying terrors to shades, much lol. Extra bonus points for using it on a faction commander.
You could then run/evade over and use twin fangs to gain elusive stacks, but you’ll lose hipster points. Especially if you wait until the enemies are clustered to maximise elusive gain. Don’t waste ambush unless you have to.

Scenario 3 – “Argh I need elusive”

Pretty much the reason you shouldn’t waste keelhaul. We don’t use bolt. We aren’t mainstream losers. Just use evade already. Out of stamina? Time to sit back and relax in the fade. Let all the posers run around. You know better.

Scenario 4 – “I wish we had bolt, the cooldowns are f*cking ridiculous”

Evade and auto-attack things while other abilities are on cooldown. Stay strong. Become one with the hipsterosity.

Gear:

Mainhand dagger – max damage, HoK is nice, Crit chance if you have enough HoK from elsewhere
Offhand dagger – Audacity if you have it for explode all the things (thanks to Drasca for pointing that out), otherwise any interesting secondary effect and reasonable damage.
Cooldown amulet (my preference give our lack of bolt) or stamina amulet (you can evade more)
HoK rings, ideally. If you don’t have them, prioritise crit chance to take advantage of Looked Like It Hurt.

Levelling Guide:

Level 2 – Get Weak Spot
Level 3-5 – Get Keelhaul + Shark Bait
Level 6-7 – Evade + Hidden Step
Level 8-11 – Get to Ambush (upgrade it later)
Level 12 – Take Unyielding
Level 13-16 – Take Looked Like It Hurt, Salty Sea Dog, Savvy, Crows Nest Lookout
Level 17-18 – Take Dead Men Tell No Tales
Level 19 – Upgrade Ambush or don’t invest a skill point at all for extra hipster kudos
Level 20 – You should now be getting kicked on sight. Congratulations! You are hipster.

Nb.
On a serious note, this build is clearly suboptimal. Min-maxers should steer clear. That said, it is weirdly perilous viable with a team that isn’t going to all insta-fade anyway, with my crappy stats of 21/37/24.

Acknowledgements:

I’d also like to thank and apologise to all the PuGs who had to endure this build, especially on perilous. You guys carried me like a boss.
  • Hex of Hell, Ispan, Thiak and 9 others like this

Gya

Gya
  • Members
  • 1,523 posts

Just as a note, I extracted with this in multiple threatening pugs.

Perilous was harder, and needed a half decent team. I went down more than once, but never actually made it to the fade. Extracted a few in spite of uber lag. My performance was not much worse than with more optimal duelist builds, but that probably says more about my lack of skill than anything else.

yarpenthemad21

yarpenthemad21
  • Members
  • 820 posts
I still think that you can make something even more hipster. Like Blinding shot, dropping ambush, etc
  • Drasca, Zander-o- and Courtnehh like this

Gya

Gya
  • Members
  • 1,523 posts

I still think that you can make something even more hipster. Like Blinding shot, dropping ambush, etc

I actually spent almost all of my materials trying different hipster combos. My favourite was evade, parry, gangway, Keelhaul. The only problem was I was insta-fade on perilous.

Mocha

Mocha
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Needs more Gangway! ;-)

• SpaceV3gan and Gya like this

Gya

Gya
  • Members
  • 1,523 posts

Needs more Gangway! ;-)

If someone can make the evade/parry/keelhaul or blinding shot/gangway build work on perilous pugs, I will gladly relinquish my ultimate hipster title!
  • Mocha likes this

kaileena_sands

kaileena_sands
  • Members
  • 1,488 posts

Haha, nice! When we played that one game with you today you seemed to still have had bolt on you cause I clearly remember you marking targets with vendetta. (Edit: Whoops. Forgot Keelhaul marks with vendetta too) But you did well, ofc it's wasn't the most giga mega powerful version of Izzy, but you didn't die, had good score etc. etc.

• Gya likes this

SpaceV3gan

SpaceV3gan
  • Members
  • 2,379 posts

I love Keelhaul, one of my favorite abilities in the game, as well as one the sexiest. Ambush and Flashing Steel are awesome. Audacity is the most satisfying weapon there is. Evade is questionable, but who cares. 9.3/10 Would bang. 

• Gya likes this

Gya

Gya
  • Members
  • 1,523 posts

I love Keelhaul, one of my favorite abilities in the game, as well as one the sexiest. Ambush and Flashing Steel are awesome. Audacity is the most satisfying weapon there is. Evade is questionable, but who cares. 9.3/10 Would bang.

+1 for keelhaul love.

I wish I had Audacity :(

And regarding evade, as a fellow sufferer of chronic lag, I'd suggest parry as an alternative. I just prefer the mobility of evade, helps escape out of LoS. Plus I find it fun evading away, hitting with a couple of auto-attacks, evading away again etc.

Piffle

Piffle
  • Members
  • 236 posts

If someone can make the evade/parry/keelhaul or blinding shot/gangway build work on perilous pugs, I will gladly relinquish my ultimate hipster title!

527525.jpg?583

(Someone more talented than me should anyways  :D )

Gya

Gya
  • Members
  • 1,523 posts

527525.jpg?583

(Someone more talented than me should anyways :D )

I am generally just extra terribad with the Duelist, so I won't be doing that :)

The problem I had with gangway was that the end of the distance closing move has a long uncancellable animation, during which time all the arrows in Thedas punch Isabela in the ovaries.

I'm currently trying it out in the context of a kill stealer helper build.

Edit: I'm genuinely curious if any hipsters out there can also make this build work in perilous pugs, or was I just very lucky in joining good lobbies?

Innarra

Innarra
  • Members
  • 323 posts

Replace the word "hipster" with "bad", and then this all makes sense.

I guess those words really hold the same meaning...

• Gya likes this

Gya

Gya
  • Members
  • 1,523 posts

Replace the word "hipster" with "bad", and then this all makes sense.

I guess those words really hold the same meaning...

Pretty much, but you're too mainstream to get it. I was in the fade before it was cool.
  • Ispan and kaileena_sands like this

Texasmotiv

Texasmotiv
  • Members
  • 1,254 posts

This build ignores all synergies, combat tactics, and character design intents... Perfect Hipster build! I approve!

Hipster-Disney-princess-mulan.jpg

• Gya likes this

Gya

Gya
  • Members
  • 1,523 posts

This build ignores all synergies, combat tactics, and character design intents... Perfect Hipster build! I approve!

Hipster-Disney-princess-mulan.jpg

Synergy? That word was invented by the corporations to keep you under their capitalist thumb. Do you even communism brah?