Photo

Nightmare Difficulty Dragon Farming Guide w/ Recommended Builds

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

apocalypse_owl

apocalypse_owl
  • Members
  • 318 posts

Pretty standard beginners guide to starting out nightmare. Including recommended builds build specifically to tackle nightmare and some more advanced loadouts providing you have the stats and weaponry to allow them to be viable. 

Hope you enjoy!

EDIT: Promotion stats shown in video are: 40 constitution, 52 willpower and 49 cunning

• Robbiesan, Zantazar, JiaJM98 and 1 other like this

Tacodip

Tacodip
  • Members
  • 66 posts

I was the one just talking to you on youtube, but I think you should post your promotion stats in the description. They're not as high as most people might assume.

apocalypse_owl

apocalypse_owl
  • Members
  • 318 posts

I was the one just talking to you on youtube, but I think you should post your promotion stats in the description. They're not as high as most people might assume.

Not the creator of the video, he is banned here, but since the content is relevant and would be useful to some as a resource, i posted it.

Saw the comments, ive added them to the OP :)

Pork

Pork
  • Members
  • 711 posts
Great video as always. Interesting builds aswell. Surprised to see war horn on the avaar, looks like someones read the art of war hor by sun tzu ;). I take frost step on the AW instead of dispell as a GTFO ability and to generate extra barrier, though i wonder if its even worth it with enemies dealing so much damage as it is.
  • Kalas Magnus likes this

Freedheart

Freedheart
  • Members
  • 689 posts

Awesome...I only need about 45 more promotions of each class and then I'm in!!!  ;)

• JAMiAM, llandwynwyn, Dekibra and 4 others like this

Tacodip

Tacodip
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Great video as always. Interesting builds aswell. Surprised to see war horn on the avaar, looks like someones read the art of war hor by sun tzu ;). I take frost step on the AW instead of dispell as a GTFO ability and to generate extra barrier, though i wonder if its even worth it with enemies dealing so much damage as it is.

The point of dispel is the massive influx of mages that cast barrier. After my second nightmare run the other night on my AW I was like, yep, dispel from now on. I had already relegated fade step to level 18 as a nice to have but not needed, so it was harder deciding whether to get stonefist or dispel first. 

Dispel first...

Tacodip

Tacodip
  • Members
  • 66 posts

As far as Reaver goes, I agree with war horn for the guard destruction but I don't agree with combat roll for the last spot. I tried it both ways (combat roll and devour).

Combat roll will save your life in 5% of instances, but Devour will save you in the other 95%. I think you have to be a robot to play with the level of precision needed to trade devour for combat roll.

K_A_Rnage

K_A_Rnage
  • Members
  • 436 posts
Does Devour get you up off the floor?
  • Proto, Archaeologist, Tacodip and 1 other like this

Tacodip

Tacodip
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Funny story, I was just gonna take that back. I was messing around solo on nm to see which one i lived longer with. It seems to boil down to barrier + people taking your kills = devour or no barrier + you getting the kills = roll.

Tacodip

Tacodip
  • Members
  • 66 posts

In fairness though I also don't play with a game genie (virtuoso). There's no one around going up, up, down, down, left, right.

K_A_Rnage

K_A_Rnage
  • Members
  • 436 posts
Zither certainly makes life easier. Until zone 4 where it drops to 10fps.
Personally I hate lying on the floor.
And I really want the Hakkon's Wrath Bow
  • Tacodip likes this

konfeta

konfeta
  • Members
  • 810 posts

4k crit damage dragon rage O_O

Would... eh, half of that be a waste of everyone's time?

henchmannumber21

henchmannumber21
  • Members
  • 8 posts

I've been playing around with legionnaire for the first time in past month (i don't enjoy tanking too much) and have been having a great time with with an offensive, Payback/Bash/Lunge/Unbowed build in perilous. After the patch hit i traded some passives and lunge to get both armor buff and guard buff passives which leads to me taking almost nonexistent physical damage from the front thanks to the new armor values. 

http://da-skills.net...1,00000,000,0,0

The general idea beyond near immortality (against non-elemental damage at least) is :

-Unbowed to get back from knockdowns, cancel enemy attacks, and GUARD!

-Taunt replaces lunge (which don't do squat in NM) to bring the enemies to you, increase team dps with the passive, and MOAR GUARDDD!!

-Cycle Payback Strike and Shield Bash to keep up the knockdowns, aoe dps, and guard sapping

Obviously this doesn't do nearly as well against demons but makes templars a joke and handles pretty well against ventatori

I'm no pro and seem to do fairly well with dragon weps, crit chance rings, and 17/37/19 for promotes (and that with the base 10 values T_T)

Tacodip

Tacodip
  • Members
  • 66 posts

I've been playing around with legionnaire for the first time in past month (i don't enjoy tanking too much) and have been having a great time with with an offensive, Payback/Bash/Lunge/Unbowed build in perilous. After the patch hit i traded some passives and lunge to get both armor buff and guard buff passives which leads to me taking almost nonexistent physical damage from the front thanks to the new armor values. 

http://da-skills.net...1,00000,000,0,0

The general idea beyond near immortality (against non-elemental damage at least) is :

-Unbowed to get back from knockdowns, cancel enemy attacks, and GUARD!

-Taunt replaces lunge (which don't do squat in NM) to bring the enemies to you, increase team dps with the passive, and MOAR GUARDDD!!

-Cycle Payback Strike and Shield Bash to keep up the knockdowns, aoe dps, and guard sapping

Obviously this doesn't do nearly as well against demons but makes templars a joke and handles pretty well against ventatori

I'm no pro and seem to do fairly well with dragon weps, crit chance rings, and 17/37/19 for promotes (and that with the base 10 values T_T)

So you need to try to the death, at least one play through, cause you've probably never used it yet, or you'd use it always. TtD followed by almost any other ability is gonna give you near full guard. Works the same on Kitari, my favorite lego/kitari skill and it's worth exploring.

When people post guides or videos like this you should never take it as a what to do; but rather a what to try that you might not have already tried; then blend it into what you know.

That said, you have upgraded unbowed and don't have upgraded walking fortress which is just wrong on so many levels.

• Texasmotiv likes this

Zorinho20_CRO

Zorinho20_CRO
  • Members
  • 3,252 posts

Solid guide

JiaJM98

JiaJM98
  • Members
  • 1,278 posts

Awesome! Very helpful guide for us under promoted scrubs!

Kalas Magnus

Kalas Magnus
  • Members
  • 10,312 posts

what is the gear and weapon he uses for the reaver?

Pork

Pork
  • Members
  • 711 posts

what is the gear and weapon he uses for the reaver?

Looks like 2 HOK rings and the Hakkon Greatsword.

apocalypse_owl

apocalypse_owl
  • Members
  • 318 posts

Looks like 2 HOK rings and the Hakkon Greatsword.

This is correct. If you ahve sulivan blade or maul of the dragon you should still be putting out a lot of damage.

kaileena_sands

kaileena_sands
  • Members
  • 1,488 posts

Using same builds as in the video (except Archer, cause I haven't played him on NM :lol:). All those classes work well for my scrubby self but so far the elementalist works best for me. The game seems to run much smoother when everything is panicked/burning/knocked down and you can give the occasional barrier to the team. Btw, the Necro is also a great controller. Reaver is great but sadly I am seeing much lower dmg ticks than what Penguin does in the video. :( I am assuming that's lower stats + lack of both sulevin and the maul. The game just doesn't want to give them to me. I've had probably 8 swords and staffs, 4 greatswords (which works, but isn't as good as the maul) 3 bows, 3 daggers and the shield of the dragon but the Maul just never drops.  :crying:

Edit: Btw, anyone to recommend a templar build for NM? Got the Hakkon sword and I'd like to see how well it works for her (I am assuming everyone puts the hok grip on the sword with attack?)

• JiaJM98 likes this

Pork

Pork
  • Members
  • 711 posts

Using same builds as in the video (except Archer, cause I haven't played him on NM :lol:). All those classes work well for my scrubby self but so far the elementalist works best for me. The game seems to run much smoother when everything is panicked/burning/knocked down and you can give the occasional barrier to the team. Btw, the Necro is also a great controller. Reaver is great but sadly I am seeing much lower dmg ticks than what Penguin does in the video. :( I am assuming that's lower stats + lack of both sulevin and the maul. The game just doesn't want to give them to me. I've had probably 8 swords and staffs, 4 greatswords (which works, but isn't as good as the maul) 3 bows, 3 daggers and the shield of the dragon but the Maul just never drops. :crying:

Edit: Btw, anyone to recommend a templar build for NM? Got the Hakkon sword and I'd like to see how well it works for her (I am assuming everyone puts the hok grip on the sword with attack?)

Ive heard bodyguard, shield bash, horn of valor and unbowed works very well with the templar. Also, Penguin has very low stats compared to a lot of players here. The damage is coming from the 100% critical damage of the sword he is using.

JiaJM98

JiaJM98
  • Members
  • 1,278 posts

Using same builds as in the video (except Archer, cause I haven't played him on NM :lol:). All those classes work well for my scrubby self but so far the elementalist works best for me. The game seems to run much smoother when everything is panicked/burning/knocked down and you can give the occasional barrier to the team. Btw, the Necro is also a great controller. Reaver is great but sadly I am seeing much lower dmg ticks than what Penguin does in the video. :( I am assuming that's lower stats + lack of both sulevin and the maul. The game just doesn't want to give them to me. I've had probably 8 swords and staffs, 4 greatswords (which works, but isn't as good as the maul) 3 bows, 3 daggers and the shield of the dragon but the Maul just never drops.  :crying:

Same here... Still waiting for that maul to appear one day...

I tried reaver on NM recently and it went pretty bad for me :( Kept getting killed during the war horn animation or when I'm just about to start rampage plus dragon rage to get some health back. Worse still, I drop 2/3 of my health when I got hit by the frost ball or breath of the dragon while in zone 1 to 4. Then I'm 1 hit dead before I can get my health back up.

Finding it hard to play her well with low stats like me (22/30/25) despite her dps and panic abilities.

It's not THAT bad if you are playing with friends so if you drop dead a couple times then you can just log out and join back again. But wasting your loot and xp like that is probably the last thing I want to do when I'm desperately needing those promotions.

Archaeologist

Archaeologist
  • Members
  • 90 posts

As far as Reaver goes, I agree with war horn for the guard destruction but I don't agree with combat roll for the last spot. I tried it both ways (combat roll and devour).

Combat roll will save your life in 5% of instances, but Devour will save you in the other 95%. I think you have to be a robot to play with the level of precision needed to trade devour for combat roll.

Combat Roll is St. BLuke's gift to us all and its glory knows no bounds. It's how he lets us know he loves us and wants us to be happy.

To not take it or worse--to choose a blockable, inferior skill like Devour--is sacrilege.

Combat Roll is love. Combat Roll is life.  

• Robbiesan, Spectr61, Proto and 3 others like this

Aggrojagg

Aggrojagg
  • Members
  • 223 posts

I found Stone Fist to be a god send against Demons. It knocks down Despair Demons which interrupts the goddamned ice beam attack. The knock downs I could kind of deal with but getting caught long distance with an icebeam through a doorway or window and not knowing quite where it's coming from, such a pain.

Yallegro

Yallegro
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Agreeing with everything in the video

Identical reaver build

Also including to the death for legionnaire and maybe katari

I am not recommending anyone using zither on Ferelden Castle

Same ideas for arcane, though undecided with for the moment between dispel and spirit blade as an AoE move

Advising against using Lunge and Slash for nightmare legionnaire

Tested succesfully

Avvar

-Korth Might

-Crushing Leap

-Hakkon's Charge

-War Horn or Rage of the Avvar

the above reaver

Keeper

-static cage

-chain lightning

-Fade cloak