[Official] Barrier calculation formula for Multiplayer

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Wavebend

Wavebend
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

The Barrier formula for Multiplayer is

max_barrier = (base_weapon + 23) * 24 * (1 + sos_bonus + ring_bonus) * stat_barrier_multiplier

where

base_weapon                   is the staff base weapon damage,
sos_bonus               = 0.5 and only applies if caster has Strength of Spirits,
ring_bonus              = 0.3 and only applies if caster equips the Enhanced Barrier Ring,
stat_barrier_multiplier = 1.0 (a global modifier)

Working example

Spoiler

Formula retrieved from extracted LUA Script

Spoiler

• Hrungr, Chocobofangirl, Silversmurf and 6 others like this

Hang3d Man

Hang3d Man
  • Members
  • 325 posts
I can't tell.

Is it working as intended?

Wavebend

Wavebend
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

I can't tell.

Is it working as intended?

Yes, it works.

• Hang3d Man and Archaeologist like this

Maracucho_Ve

Maracucho_Ve
  • Members
  • 39 posts

does the barrier ring work for every mage class now?

Wavebend

Wavebend
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

does the barrier ring work for every mage class now?

Yes.

max_barrier is calculated the same way for every mage class. For instance, you'll get increased barrier damage absorption if you equip the ring on your AW, or better barrier quality for the barrier song if equipped on the Virtuoso..

• Maracucho_Ve likes this

Yallegro

Yallegro
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Wavebend delivers.

I was still running on the assumption that Strength of Spirits only buffed barrier on the caster.

Thought I read that somewhere around here, has this changed or did I read wrong?

Caldyrvan

Caldyrvan
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Very useful Sir. As always :)

Archaeologist

Archaeologist
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Yes.

max_barrier is calculated the same way for every mage class. For instance, you'll get increased barrier damage absorption if you equip the ring on your AW, or better barrier quality for the barrier song if equipped on the Virtuoso..

Jesus-Promotion-Lording-Christ. I love you

Angelus_de_Mortiel

Angelus_de_Mortiel
  • Members
  • 696 posts

Yes.

This was my suspicion for a long time based purely on presumption and logic. Nice to see hard data proving it. Would this means that the (possibly subjective) relative benefit of Strength of Spirits and the Barrier Ring are better for the Arcane Warrior and Virtuoso as opposed to Elementalist and Keeper, as the abilities of the two former classes grant Barrier as a percentage of the Maximum?

JiaJM98

JiaJM98
  • Members
  • 1,278 posts

Just out of curiosity, anyone know if Willpower affects barrier at all? E.g. someone with high willpower can cast stronger barrier.

Wavebend

Wavebend
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Just out of curiosity, anyone know if Willpower affects barrier at all? E.g. someone with high willpower can cast stronger barrier.

it doesnt

• JiaJM98 likes this

JiaJM98

JiaJM98
  • Members
  • 1,278 posts

it doesnt

ah ok thx for the quick reply :)

Spectr61

Spectr61
  • Members
  • 697 posts
Wave, excellent.

As usual.

Headhunters bothering you?

If not, they should.

Wavebend

Wavebend
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Necro'ed threads... *sigh*

• Silversmurf and JiaJM98 like this

Hang3d Man

Hang3d Man
  • Members
  • 325 posts
At least when it finally dies you may get revived?
  • JiaJM98 likes this

Thesexyscot

Thesexyscot
  • Members
  • 101 posts

At least when it finally dies you may get revived?

look-guilty-iStock_000014022736Small.jpg

yes im sure thats exactly what we'l do

• Silversmurf likes this

lcneed

lcneed
  • Members
  • 1,202 posts

it doesnt

I just know that I get a much much stronger barrier with HoP (85 base damage) than KingFisher (89 base damage).  I always thought that it is because of the extra +49 willpower.

Wavebend

Wavebend
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

I just know that I get a much much stronger barrier with HoP (85 base damage) than KingFisher (89 base damage).  I always thought that it is because of the extra +49 willpower.

check the tooltip value and report back

• lcneed likes this

lcneed

lcneed
  • Members
  • 1,202 posts

check the tooltip value and report back

I will check it tonight if no one else beat me to it.  I will also check the tooltip when wearing pact belts.   Pact belts increase barrier by a crazy amount.

JiaJM98

JiaJM98
  • Members
  • 1,278 posts

I will check it tonight if no one else beat me to it.  I will also check the tooltip when wearing pact belts.   Pact belts increase barrier by a crazy amount.

:blink: Since when barrier has become electric / fire / ice damage?

Are you referring to AW? In that case then yeah, since fade shield gives you barrier as a percentage of your damage dealt. 

Lol I noticed how you used pact belt on your barrier bot saarebas multiple times and always wondered why you would put that belt on if you aren't going to make use of the damage. I think it's simply a misconception for you. 

lcneed

lcneed
  • Members
  • 1,202 posts

:blink: Since when barrier has become electric / fire / ice damage?

Are you referring to AW? In that case then yeah, since fade shield gives you barrier as a percentage of your damage dealt. 

Lol I noticed how you used pact belt on your barrier bot saarebas multiple times and always wondered why you would put that belt on if you aren't going to make use of the damage. I think it's simply a misconception for you. 

Ah :P  I guess that why 99% of my mages promotions are on AW!   I did wear pact belt on my Saarebus a few times.. I think that time on HB.. but probably because I forgot to take it off. :P   It is way too much work to play Saarebus unless it is just botting.   I don't play keeper and virtuoso either because they requires too much timing and work.  AW with pact belt is just the easier and laziest way to play Perilous.  NM, on the other hand, is tricky... that's what I don't do NM. :P   Once I get over 170 con I will try the other agents and NM. :P

So I guess WP does affect barrier but only for AW. :P

JiaJM98

JiaJM98
  • Members
  • 1,278 posts

Once I get over 170 con I will try the other agents and NM. :P

So I guess WP does affect barrier but only for AW. :P

LOL seriously? I mean, you can probably run NM quite comfortably with 50/50/50, given you have Hakkon weapons and PI. 

I still remember the days when I had to farm NM with dragon weapons  :unsure: The challenge was fun though, and I was much more of a team player back then when I always played support / CC / tank  -_-

Thesexyscot

Thesexyscot
  • Members
  • 101 posts

NO1 HAS PI HDGWGDJKBDUILWGDLUJGBHDUIGLWIDWDGUIGW

lcneed

lcneed
  • Members
  • 1,202 posts

LOL seriously? I mean, you can probably run NM quite comfortably with 50/50/50, given you have Hakkon weapons and PI. 

I still remember the days when I had to farm NM with dragon weapons  :unsure: The challenge was fun though, and I was much more of a team player back then when I always played support / CC / tank  -_-

Only if there are at least 2 others with me.  I don't start a match that I can't solo since it is quite possible that I will have to solo it. :P  I am still at 23/25 on my NM dragon challenge. :P   I will probably finish up the Perilous Storm Dragon one before the NM one.... I solo'ed many of my fire dragon ones.. for some reason people don't like to join when they saw fire dragon.. :P

JiaJM98

JiaJM98
  • Members
  • 1,278 posts

for some reason people don't like to join when they saw fire dragon.. :P

Then just be considerate towards the newbies and set it to frost :P