Photo

[Guide] Mechanics of Disruption Field -- Updated for Patch 10

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Wavebend

Wavebend
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Disruption Field is arguably one of the best sources of control against enemies. However, its absurd mechanics are often misunderstood and can lead to frustration, especially when fighting against ranged enemies.This short guide aims to explain how this ability works to aid players in making the best use of this spell.

Ability description

Spoiler

Effect on vulnerable enemies

Spoiler

• Parachromis, akots1, Varbind and 18 others like this

unknownexorcist

unknownexorcist
  • Members
  • 15 posts

nice explanation look like it time to rebuild my keeper  

Angelus_de_Mortiel

Angelus_de_Mortiel
  • Members
  • 696 posts

Always been a big user of Disruption Field, but used Stasis Lock until I found out about the ring.

It's good to note that I usually place DF in between myself/team and ranged attackers if needed, and not stand inside it, although I have learned the hard way not to place it in a doorway. The caught projectiles will stay there permanently and still damage teammates, and it can be impossible to walk around the projectiles in a doorway. Ok, so maybe it's a good tool if you want to troll your team.

llandwynwyn

llandwynwyn
  • Members
  • 3,762 posts

Honestly, I don't understand it, and just use it sometimes because is a pretty ****** barrier and it both amuses me and looks cool in the victory screen.

I'll read and watch this later. ty as always wavebend.

Yallegro

Yallegro
  • Members
  • 617 posts

And slow dancing doesn't reduce speed at all

Nothing here works as intended

Pork

Pork
  • Members
  • 711 posts
I love how there is 4 sentences for the skill and upgrade and 3 of them are just wrong. Nice write up.
  • Chocobofangirl, Kenny Bania and Angelus_de_Mortiel like this

kaileena_sands

kaileena_sands
  • Members
  • 1,488 posts

I love how there is 4 sentences for the skill and upgrade and 3 of them are just wrong. Nice write up.

GG, biower.

Thanks, Wavebend, I actually never tried DF but now that I actually understand how it works it looks like it's respeccing Keeper time. :D

Wavebend

Wavebend
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

And slow dancing doesn't reduce speed at all

Nothing here works as intended

Slow Dancing does reduce movement (not attack speed) by 20%, but the effect is almost unnoticeable. If you try it against a running genlock, run across the map and use it a few times you'll eventually notice it.
  • Chocobofangirl and Angelus_de_Mortiel like this

Samahl na Revas

Samahl na Revas
  • Members
  • 363 posts

Mind blown: "As of Patch 9, the Enhanced Disruption Field ring increases effect duration to 13 seconds and power to 99%. In other words, you can safely discard the point for Stasis Lock if you equip the ring."

Thanks.

Beerfish

Beerfish
  • Members
  • 23,825 posts

The dilemma for me is what do I leave out of my build to try this?

I want Barrier.

I want Static Cage.

I feel the need to have either frost step or fade step.

Chain lightning or another attack spell so you can do some damage.

How often am I going to be using this in comparison to the other abilities?

I can see a build using this for a planned higher level match I suppose.

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

I'm glad WB took the time to make a deeper write-up on DF.

Both of these are complete trash and unnecessary for a Barrier / Static Cage / Disruption field Keeper. The fourth usually goes to Veilstrike, Fade Cloak or Dispel.

• Wavebend likes this

Wavebend

Wavebend
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

I'm glad WB took the time to make a deeper write-up on DF.

Thanks!

I want Barrier.

I want Static Cage.

DF probably won't be as effective if your aim is to solo as a keeper. However it is extremely good when you coordinate with other players and manage Line of Sight at chokepoints, especially against ranged enemies. This is one scenario where the material of this guide would be useful.

One combo that I especially like is to trap enemies using Static Cage and start attacking enemies to reduce cooldown via Gathering Storm. After a few seconds, before SC runs out, use Fade cloak to stay unharmed, walk in the cage and put a Disruption Field under the lightning bulb (in the center of the cage), then quickly step out of the cage. When enemies try to walk out they'll be stuck in the Disruption Field for a good amount of time, leaving you a few seconds to regain the ability to cast SC

but yeah, pretty much Drasca said

• Drasca and Snakebite like this

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts
One combo that I especially like is to trap enemies using Static Cage and start attacking enemies to reduce cooldown via Gathering Storm. After a few seconds, before SC runs out, use Fade cloak to stay unharmed, walk in the cage and put a Disruption Field under the lightning bulb (in the center of the cage), then quickly step out of the cage. When enemies try to walk out they'll be stuck in the Disruption Field for a good amount of time, leaving you a few seconds to regain the ability to cast SC

but yeah, pretty much Drasca said

Ideally this is timed as barrier runs out WITH mana surge passive and static charge invested in, to freeze the enemies in between SC and DF, and FC upgraded to damage them, and paralyzed as you cast. I've written about this quite a bit, even on my bare minimum build list but not on DF in this much detail as I don't have the time and energy to. I'm really really glad WB did.

Enemies are Slowed, Paralyzed, Frozen, and Knocked up/down. There are very few enemies immune to all these (elites, mainly giants / druffy / gurn).

ParthianShotX

ParthianShotX
  • Members
  • 2,242 posts

I want Barrier.

I want Static Cage.

I skip the frost step/fade step.  Always have so it's likely a case of I just don't know what I'm missing.

Angelus_de_Mortiel

Angelus_de_Mortiel
  • Members
  • 696 posts

Enemies are... Knocked up.

I told you know to leave Korbin alone with them... In some countries, Korbin's twerking is banned due to the risk of unexpected pregnancy, even in men.

• Drasca and Texasmotiv like this

Caldyrvan

Caldyrvan
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Thank you great explanation :)

The saddness of wrong tooltips is hard ^^ ...

Looks like it became more a science than a game or at least a game where you can get lost if you do not understand the science behind it or not have the time to figure it out.

I know some/many enjoy this as WB does :D ... I do myself but imo it´s too much. It gets messy. You have to do all the match based on often limited information by BW and/or based on wrong information. So you have to figure out what is wrong and do the math again like Wavebend did. The time your need to find out about such mechanics, match and bugs is time you could have played the game ;)

I´m happy for those who enjoy the science part of the game (including myself) but for those who do not it´s no fun sometimes. BW should write it on their games cover ^^ ... [Warning: Contains Violence, Nudity, Mature Laguage, requires an I.Q. of at least 120 and the ability to rage about bugs]

JohnnyQPublic

JohnnyQPublic
  • Members
  • 223 posts

Has anyone tried disruption field since patch 9?  I'm getting shot by all sorts of projectiles through the DF (with and without the ring, with and without the upgrade) ever since the patch 9 release.  I thought it was my imagination at the time, but I came back to it tonight and, once again, archers were peppering me through the field, standing on flat terrain.  Something seems amiss.  What has everyone else experienced recently?

• Wavebend and Proto like this

Wavebend

Wavebend
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Has anyone tried disruption field since patch 9?  I'm getting shot by all sorts of projectiles through the DF (with and without the ring, with and without the upgrade) ever since the patch 9 release.  I thought it was my imagination at the time, but I came back to it tonight and, once again, archers were peppering me through the field, standing on flat terrain.  Something seems amiss.  What has everyone else experienced recently?

Guide is now obsolete. =[

I edited the OP but this will require more testing. Looks like they fixed a bunch of things

• Proto likes this