Photo

Penguins Perilous Skywatcher Build

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

apocalypse_owl

apocalypse_owl
  • Members
  • 318 posts

Full unlock order is in the description.

Copy paste from reddit: 

Hello and welcome to my Skywatcher build guide. 

First, here is the link to the gameplay video. Ive specifically done this on Perilous on Fereldan Castle as some people seem to be having difficulty playing this guy on the higher levels. 

I strongly recommend watching the gameplay video for this one, as the playstyle is pretty important to staying alive.

The Skywatcher is an elemental two-handed warrior who introduces another unique mechanic to Dragon Age Multiplayer. One of his abilities, Korth’s Might, can be charged with different elements. This element is determined by the elemental affinity of the ability previously used. For example, using Flurry of Storms will charge Korth’s Might with lightning while Hakkons Charge will charge it with ice. 

The Skywatcher feels a lot like the Katari pre-patch, in that he can put out a lot of damage, but has limited survivability. This build will aim to increase your chances of survival by utilizing the Skywatcher’s area of effect crowd control abilities to incapacitate enemies and perform combos on them.

My first ability is an obvious choice and is unlocked by default, Korth’s Might. Korth’s Might, when used independently, does not deal that much damage and does not knock down multiple enemies as Mighty Blow does. However, when used in conjunction with other abilities and passives it can actually increase your survivability and damage output a great deal, and I’ll explain why later. You can charge Korth’s Might with different elements which inflicts a status effect on the enemy depending on which element you have struck with. With Fire Smash you will deal 50% weapon damage per second, Ice Smash will chill enemies and generate 10% guard and Electric Smash will shock enemies. All of these status effects have a duration of 4 seconds. With upgraded Korths Might, you gain an additional benefit for 10 seconds. Fire smash increases your damage by 25%, ice smash grants you 10% damage reduction and electric smash grants you lightning which will arc to enemies nearby at 50% weapon damage.

My next ability is also unlocked by default, Hakkons Charge. This ability functions similarly to Charging Bull, except it doesn't deal as much damage, but will generate guard while also chilling enemies that you hit. Hakkons charge will trigger cold smash upon usage. The upgraded version of this ability will reduce its cooldown by 5 seconds and also reduce the stamina cost by 5 per second. Not much else to say on this, other than you will need to hold the button down until you release it, at which point you will strike the ground in the direction you are facing.

My third ability is Chilling Tremor. This ability will trigger Cold Smash while striking the ground, chilling and damaging enemies in a 5 meter area of effect. When this ability is upgraded, Chilling Tremor will freeze all enemies in its area of effect which had been previously been chilled and also increases Chilling Tremor’s area of effect by 1.5 meters. 

My last ability is Crushing Leap. Crushing leap will have you jump towards enemies and smashing the ground around them. It has a 6.5 meter area of effect and deals 225% weapon damage. More importantly though, this ability is an impact detonator. When upgrading crushing leap, you deal 55% additional bonus damage, while leaving the ground on fire, dealing 30% weapon damage per second to any enemy that touches it. 

Now with the abilities out of the way, lets move onto the playstyle. As I stated earlier, the Skywatcher does suffer from survivability issues. However, my ability choices should help you mitigate that somewhat, via the incapacitating effects they have. 

Open with Hakkon’s Charge, knocking down as many enemies as you possibly can and closing the gap between you and any ranged unit. Next, follow up with an Ice Smash, which will chill enemies and further build your guard. Then use Chilling Tremor to freeze all previously chilled targets and lastly use Crushing Leap to detonate these frozen targets with the resulting Shatter combo. This should kill any non boss enemy it is performed on, even on Perilous with high level gear. 

Next, passives. My passives are primarily chosen to increase survivability. I select a lot of the passives in the Mountain Heart tree, beelining to chilled defence. This passive will grant you 25% damage reduction when near chilled or frozen targets, similar to ice armour. As you will be primarily using ice based attacks, this passive should be active whenever you are engaged in combat. On the way to getting this, you will also pick up bear mauls the wolves and crippling blows, further increasing survivability. You will also get Scenting blood, which is very useful for catching up to enemies which have been thrown out of your blades reach.

And thats it, this is how I play the Skywatcher. One thing to note is that high level gear and weapons will make a huge amount of difference when playing this character. He really is not forgiving to new players unfortunately. Anyway, if you have problems staying alive, then this build should be of use to you. Ill put the full unlock order in the description as always, and thanks for watching, goodbye.

• iamchaossthought, nobodyspecial and Eyecon74 like this

TormDK

TormDK
  • Members
  • 1,152 posts

Hurrah for his trusty Zither sidekick featured in this video :D

Good guide though, he seemed to zip around constantly when Penguin recorded that video, I could rarely keep him inside my buff radius :P

Robbiesan

Robbiesan
  • Members
  • 2,543 posts

Thanks again Owl/Penguin.

This is a different build than I am currently using, but I see how effective it is.  Will give this a try.

Aetika

Aetika
  • Members
  • 3,165 posts
This could really help me as I am struggling to survive with him quite a lot. I am afraid I don't have good gear and enough promotions but I am gonna try this :-)
  • Dekibra likes this

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

This is the defensive Freeze Leap build that is trash vs demons and the frost dragon. Leaving out LW is losing a lot of damage and self-rez potential.

I've already been through this route, and grew past it. There are inefficiencies with time, stamina, and wasting KM triggers leading stamina issues that make it a lot worse than the triple element trigger builds. The OP fails to mention the stamina cost of the HC CT CL combo. It is over 100, leading to wait times / clear a path or stamina gear requirements just to pull off the combo. That results in slower kills, more vulnerability periods, and just bad times for the Avvar. You'll kill slower and die faster because enemies aren't continuously dead. KM has longer cooldowns from not rotating away from cold as much (no Electric trigger in this mix).

While it is possible to do OK with this build, as it does fine against (freezable) humanoid targets, I don't recommend it since you cannot choose against demons at the start (without abandoning the lobby). DD's will own you. One CL / KM is not enough for sustained damage against multiple DD's.

On Threatening and below LW just owns everything without the Avvar even doing anything else. On Perilous, it is necessary for survival.

Obviously people will try this route, and it is fair to do so especially with respecs being fairly cheap. Having been here though, I can honestly say it sucks, and there's better out there. 

ALTBOULI

ALTBOULI
  • Members
  • 2,700 posts

This is the defensive Freeze Leap build that is trash vs demons and the frost dragon. Leaving out LW is losing a lot of damage and self-rez potential.

I've already been through this route, and grew past it. There are inefficiencies with time, stamina, and wasting KM triggers leading stamina issues that make it a lot worse than the triple element trigger builds. The OP fails to mention the stamina cost of the HC CT CL combo. It is over 100, leading to wait times / clear a path or stamina gear requirements just to pull off the combo. That results in slower kills, more vulnerability periods, and just bad times for the Avvar. You'll kill slower and die faster because enemies aren't continuously dead. KM has longer cooldowns from not rotating away from cold as much (no Electric trigger in this mix).

While it is possible to do OK with this build, as it does fine against (freezable) humanoid targets, I don't recommend it since you cannot choose against demons at the start (without abandoning the lobby). DD's will own you. One CL / KM is not enough for sustained damage against multiple DD's.

On Threatening and below LW just owns everything without the Avvar even doing anything else. On Perilous, it is necessary for survival.

Obviously people will try this route, and it is fair to do so especially with respecs being fairly cheap. Having been here though, I can honestly say it sucks, and there's better out there.

^Still butthurt
  • apocalypse_owl and AntarcticWildlife like this

iamchaossthought

iamchaossthought
  • Members
  • 159 posts

Are you suggesting LW instead of CT and leaving the rest the same?  If you have a better alternative I would like to hear, as I am fond of the Avvar and OP's build seems interesting, even with the noted stamina issue.

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

Are you suggesting LW instead of CT and leaving the rest the same?  If you have a better alternative I would like to hear, as I am fond of the Avvar and OP's build seems interesting, even with the noted stamina issue.

Yes, as noted here:

http://forum.bioware...oe-devastation/

and here:

http://forum.bioware...rite-mp-builds/

I haven't gone into depth with PF's particular build, but mine's better. Breakjohn discovered the same build independently and published before I did.

Puffy9999

Puffy9999
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Is the best method to only pick 3, LW, HC and KM? Then grab as many passives as possible?

Stamina seems to be the major issue with going to CT or CL. I don't have the Superb Stamina, just the Blue but you need everything you can get and a 4th ability seems a bit tight.

LW seems to do a good job of throwing them off you and maybe triggering detonates?

SpaceV3gan

SpaceV3gan
  • Members
  • 2,379 posts
I second Lady's Wrath here. It turns the Avvar into a walking electric field and it has perfect synergy with the Furious Blows passive. It is just too good not to be used.

DrascatonisFade3K

DrascatonisFade3K
  • Members
  • 114 posts
Is LW still active when performing HC? away from PC for the weekend...

Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Members
  • 2,860 posts

Came in looking for a Drasca build. Got a Drasca build.

Success!!!

• ALTBOULI likes this

BreakJohn

BreakJohn
  • Members
  • 294 posts

i tried something similar to this the first time i made the avvar, but his health is just too low for damage resistance to be any sort of actual help(maybe if he had katari health..) and leaving out Lady's wrath which i consider the avvar's best ability sounds like blasphemy lol. 

• Drasca and Kalas Magnus like this

Dieb

Dieb
  • Members
  • 4,631 posts

This build seems very effective indeed.

I will say that I didn't see a lot of people using Flurry of the Storms, which is kind of a temporary "leave me alone everybody" button. It smashes everyone around you, and most importantly, the upgrade will deflect projectiles. It has become my default RB skill, much like Parry Stance on other 2H warriors - I understand he has Parry, too, but I found FotS more versatile, despite the cooldown.

Just a suggestion. Not an expert on Warriors, but I'm doing well enough with the Avaar to not understand where the outrage comes from.

(http://da-skills.net...0,010,010,010,D)

apocalypse_owl

apocalypse_owl
  • Members
  • 318 posts

If you are getting beaten down by 1 enemy in the weakest faction in the game with your 1000 promotions then that says more about you as a player than the build. DDs can be taken out by crushing leap and the following Fire smash no problem. There is also only 2 waves where DDs are present, waves 2 and 3. I havent used the Avvar much but I have seen Penguin play vs Demons fairly often and he has never seemed to have trouble vs DDs. 

LW is a good ability, but the shatter combo does deal more spike damage and it looks incredibly cool, aswell as CL being an impact detonator (free heavy damage!). Its very fun to use aswell, though I do forget that you dont know what that word means, though the irony here is that you feel that LW is necessary for survival on perilous. Again, if you cant survive with other builds with your sky high stats and top tier gear then its an L2P issue for you. 

Stamina issue is mitigated by passives and stamina amulet. No issues here. As the guide states, high level gear makes a huge amount of difference for the Avvar.

To be honest, you just sound butthurt, as usual. 

i tried something similar to this the first time i made the avvar, but his health is just too low for damage resistance to be any sort of actual help(maybe if he had katari health..) and leaving out Lady's wrath which i consider the avvar's best ability sounds like blasphemy lol. 

Independently yes, I agree, but once you start stacking the DR from Ice smash, Chilled Defence and Crippling Blows, then it makes a difference. I also read through your guide and watched your videos, very comprehensive, good writeup and seems pretty effective too. Ill definitely be trying it out :)

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

I will say that I didn't see a lot of people using Flurry of the Storms,

That's because most pugs blow chunks. That passive, along with scenting blood, is essential. I haven't seen any good Avvar in the wild only amongst my own friends list -- and they use my build (and wreck face).

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

I havent used the Avvar much

This admission discredits everything you've posted here along with the innate problems of the Avvar build and how terrible both you and PF are at this game.

• DatMojo likes this

ALTBOULI

ALTBOULI
  • Members
  • 2,700 posts
Sounds like a thunderdome challenge
  • HeroicMass, DatMojo and Kenny Bania like this

Puffy9999

Puffy9999
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Got my popcorn lets go!

• Drasca and ALTBOULI like this

yarpenthemad21

yarpenthemad21
  • Members
  • 820 posts
This build I think have 2 problems.
1) For combo you need 100+ stamina
2) Rotation does not use Korth Might at all. And after combo you end up in fire, so Korth would be with damage buff, but there is no stamina and everything is on cooldown.

Aren't this combo an overkill? I don't know the weapon damage % for Crushing Leap on shatter but it should be at least 1k damage. Crushing Leap on his own can kill mobs like archers with crit, add to it Chilling tremor, some Charge damage. I would call this shatter pretty much "not needed".
Mobs have around 4-5k hp on perilous. You can't set on frozen mobs like Knight, pride demon, fear demon, even shadows (so mobs in general with higher health).
  • Drasca likes this

capn233

capn233
  • Members
  • 17,255 posts

Sounds like a thunderdome challenge

Is there one for DAI?  What are the rules?

Torkelight

Torkelight
  • Members
  • 668 posts

I see he finally got sulevin :P

ALTBOULI

ALTBOULI
  • Members
  • 2,700 posts

Is there one for DAI?  What are the rules?

2* Katari with Sieges End on Perilous vs Demons. I already have a victory to my name
  • HeroicMass likes this

Drasca

Drasca
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts

This build I think have 2 problems.
1) For combo you need 100+ stamina
2) Rotation does not use Korth Might at all. And after combo you end up in fire, so Korth would be with damage buff, but there is no stamina and everything is on cooldown.

Aren't this combo an overkill? I don't know the weapon damage % for Crushing Leap on shatter but it should be at least 1k damage. Crushing Leap on his own can kill mobs like archers with crit, add to it Chilling tremor, some Charge damage. I would call this shatter pretty much "not needed".
Mobs have around 4-5k hp on perilous. You can't set on frozen mobs like Knight, pride demon, fear demon, even shadows (so mobs in general with higher health).

You've nailed down the specifics. Personally I do 2-4k damage with CL, and up to 6-8k vs Fire Vulnerable enemies. Between LW's dot and active ability damage, everything's already dead without shatter, and for far less stamina cost per mob group killed, and with rotating cooldowns instead of waiting for CT.

I've also played Avvar in Beta where there were few to no promotes, and bad gear. I've played through this build, and found it lacking even after I got the Maul of the Dragon on Beta.

Sulaco_7

Sulaco_7
  • Members
  • 1,312 posts
Thunderdome is very possible with the castle map. Do it!!!!!!!!! Penguin vs Drasca. Better than mayweather vs pacquiao.